Where is the Will Rogers thread this week?

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
It got dumped off
No kidding. UK's disguising defenses seemed to work way too well this past weekend.

His run audibles were semi-effective on only three plays. Three. The rest of the time, they had our number and it wasn't just them whipping us at the line of scrimmage.

Would have been the perfect opportunity for him to let the ball go downfield, particularly early in the game and he just won't do it.

Interceptions are going to happen in this offense. You have to give your receivers a chance to make plays and your team a chance to win games. That's what a great QB can do.

Accuracy is overrated. Play big. If you go down, go down swinging. Will's got nothing to lose this weekend (other than confidence and QBR numbers), may as well take the opportunity to SLING it.

Reactions: LonesomeDog
Oct 17, 2022
Is he going to hang tough even if he takes some contact or is he going to panic. Against Kentucky he was all panic.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I wonder what went thru the minds of A&M and Pig when they were preparing for us and what they were thinking looking on during the game. I'm thinking they are not as stupid as some of us think they are. I'm thnking they don't have the personnel up front and / or in the secondary to rush more than 3.

Oct 17, 2022
If you are referring to me, no disrespect intended. how Will responds to the pass rush and pressure probably determines if we can move the ball. I can’t see our line holding up, so there will be a lot of pressure.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
If you are referring to me, no disrespect intended. how Will responds to the pass rush and pressure probably determines if we can move the ball. I can’t see our line holding up, so there will be a lot of pressure.
I wasn’t referring to you. The snarky comment about completion percentage caught my attention. I know it’s a message board for opinion and humor, but I don’t get ridiculing the qb, particularly when he is a special talent. Perfect? No. Better than most who have played the position for State? He is, by any objective measure. Don’t understand people hammering Will Rogers.

Oct 17, 2022
i think Will needs to take the next step, particularly on the road. I dont Want to see him take unnecessary shots and get hurt, but I’d like to see him stay cool and not fade under pressure the d line will bring. He didn’t do well against Kentucky. We just don’t have the line to give him great protection against the top teams.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I wasn’t referring to you. The snarky comment about completion percentage caught my attention. I know it’s a message board for opinion and humor, but I don’t get ridiculing the qb, particularly when he is a special talent. Perfect? No. Better than most who have played the position for State? He is, by any objective measure. Don’t understand people hammering Will Rogers.
Special talent? Come on now

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
i think Will needs to take the next step, particularly on the road. I dont Want to see him take unnecessary shots and get hurt, but I’d like to see him stay cool and not fade under pressure the d line will bring. He didn’t do well against Kentucky. We just don’t have the line to give him great protection against the top teams.
I don’t disagree with anything you say here. And while a leach fan (I admit it— I like what he brings), the game plan needs to line up with Will taking that next step. See what happens.

Oct 17, 2022
Yea, it it’s tough to get the run game going without sharp, Johnson and marks banged up. The runs are also dictated by what’s in the box. Bottom line UKs d line whipped our O line.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Yea, it it’s tough to get the run game going without sharp, Johnson and marks banged up. The runs are also dictated by what’s in the box. Bottom line UKs d line whipped our O line.
No, they fooled our QB by disguising what they were doing. There was only 1 QB pressure I believe. We just failed to adjust again. Not unlike the LSU game in that respect.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Heisman candidate update and stats post????
You know the guy who was talking the Heisman nonsense was being sarcastic because he hates Leach’s offense and thinks it’s purpose is to pad quarterback stats while winning games is secondary. Amazingly, that guy disappeared after the aTm and Arkansas games. I guess he’ll be back now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I still lead the nation in completions. We will bounce back. We will be alright. Even in this difficult time 🙏
Where we want to be leading is scoring offense or at least in the top 10-15 If you are there you are kicking arse and winning games and doing good things. I imagine last week we were a lot higher on that list. Completion stats are meaningless if you aren't scoring more points than the other team. Rogers is in top 5 in completion pct. That's good for a moving offense. Passing yards per completion is kind of sad though. Not even in the top 50. Stroud Hooker even Dart in the top 10. Passing efficiency did crack top 50 at 42.
One that really stuck out like a sore thumb to me, we don't even crack to top 50 in total offense. The air raid, not even in the top 50.
so stats don't mean a ton because there are lots of them. Most important ones are wins and loss and behind that scoring offense and scoring defense. If either of those aren't great you won't be a good to great football team.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I think Will has reached his limit. He’s a nice QB and seemingly a good leader but his nonchalant attitude doesn’t carry over into contested pockets. Disruptions to the offensive rhythm collapse the production for consecutive quarters and halves. Will doesn’t take shots to break the cycle despite the capability and his coach doesn’t seem to force it either. Unless we have a QB that can create things on their own I don’t think this offense can be expected to have consistent production in conference play. Well coached defenses will destroy them. With that said, we should be able to consistently sort the wheat from the chaff and beat the overrated SEC teams. Basically we can maintain the bare minimum for Cohen to retain his position.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I still lead the nation in completions. We will bounce back. We will be alright. Even in this difficult time 🙏
Defeat Saban and his evil empire this weekend and you'll have a statue of yourself while in college at Davis Wade. Dak never had that.

John Bond is in Madison and he is waiting for your call.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
No kidding. UK's disguising defenses seemed to work way too well this past weekend.

His run audibles were semi-effective on only three plays. Three. The rest of the time, they had our number and it wasn't just them whipping us at the line of scrimmage.

Would have been the perfect opportunity for him to let the ball go downfield, particularly early in the game and he just won't do it.

Interceptions are going to happen in this offense. You have to give your receivers a chance to make plays and your team a chance to win games. That's what a great QB can do.

Accuracy is overrated. Play big. If you go down, go down swinging. Will's got nothing to lose this weekend (other than confidence and QBR numbers), may as well take the opportunity to SLING it.
Backyard football, Everybody go long!

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Where we want to be leading is scoring offense or at least in the top 10-15 If you are there you are kicking arse and winning games and doing good things. I imagine last week we were a lot higher on that list. Completion stats are meaningless if you aren't scoring more points than the other team. Rogers is in top 5 in completion pct. That's good for a moving offense. Passing yards per completion is kind of sad though. Not even in the top 50. Stroud Hooker even Dart in the top 10. Passing efficiency did crack top 50 at 42.
One that really stuck out like a sore thumb to me, we don't even crack to top 50 in total offense. The air raid, not even in the top 50.
so stats don't mean a ton because there are lots of them. Most important ones are wins and loss and behind that scoring offense and scoring defense. If either of those aren't great you won't be a good to great football team.
I guess it was another thread that mentioned something about needing to take shots downfield against Bama, and I don’t at all disagree that it’d be nice to see, but it also made me wonder if anyone has watched this offense during the last 3 seasons.

Even when given time, Rogers might take 3 shots/gm with passes over 20 yards, and that’s when things are clicking on offense. This week, I fully expect Saban to make sure things aren’t clicking by constantly forcing Will out of the pocket, and we all know how that story end. With a healthy DJ, I’d have a sliver of hope that we could keep this one respectable, but assuming he’s out this weekend, it’s gonna be a long day

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I would suggest if there are not any better options put it in the hands of your 6'5" wide receiver. High and towards the sideline. Either he catches it for 20 yards or it goes out of bounds. I mean, the dude is 6'5". Use that advantage

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
i think everyone saw 1 guy get 5 TDs against that weak Bama secondary. Yeah we have to put up 50+ to even have a chance and as someone mentioned, we have not scored a TD at Bryant Denny since 2014 when we were ranked #1 and undefeated and Dak was our QB.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think Will has done amazing job with what he has to work with. He never was a top 10 recruit, and yeah, maybe he just fits the system exceptionally well, but that's what he does. I appreciate what he does, and I know he has his limitations, but we had to start somewhere, and I think he's done extraordinary for us, starting from zero to try to build this new system of offense.

When it's all said and done, we'll be very proud we had him playing ball for us. He's not Bryce young, but he's doing the best he can, I think. It kind of pisses me off when I see somebody make another thread about the fact that he's not an all-American and won't be a top-10 draft pick

Bourbon Dog

Sep 28, 2022
All he has to do is beat Bama on Saturday and all will be right with the world. Maybe we could run the old TSUN play called " just get open"

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
All he has to do is beat Bama on Saturday and all will be right with the world. Maybe we could run the old TSUN play called " just get open"
All kidding aside we probably don't have the best individual receiver we've ever had but we possibly have the strongest group we've ever had and it looks like they ought to be able to "just get open" at least once in a while.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I would say yes to his field vision and reads and accuracy WHEN he has time to pass. Yes that's much better than anyone I've seen recently in college
He had one damn pressure last week according to stats. One....so don't tell be he sees the field. You can go back and watch the game and see guys open, no pressure in his face. He got continually fooled by the looks KY gave him on defense. Leach even sorta ripped on Will after the game.
LSU was different. There was pressure and dropped balls.
But if Leach had more than a gun wrapper size play book, it would help.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
He had one damn pressure last week according to stats. One....so don't tell be he sees the field. You can go back and watch the game and see guys open, no pressure in his face. He got continually fooled by the looks KY gave him on defense. Leach even sorta ripped on Will after the game.
I’m not sure how much scheming is even done. They have a few special plays like the shuttle pass but otherwise they just run the same stuff and hope it works. I don’t think they have answers for when those relatively few plays aren’t working. Leach isn’t doing much to alleviate that pressure on Will to make all the plays.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I've noticed that if we are getting blown up a lot of plays we don't scheme to make that better to adjust

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah considering they went from one of the top passing teams in the league to one of the top rushing teams I would agree. He also seems to be very good at getting the ball in his playmakers hands. It kills me that tulu griffin rarely gets to touch the ball on offense, even Rufus Harvey. Be nice to see them take a jet sweep snd not a dump off pass to get dropped because no one is blocking.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

So is it Will not reading the defense or Leach needing more than a gum wrapper play sheet? One might be dependent on the other?

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
Will Rogers a special talent? What’s special about it? I would’t call a QB that can’t throw it passed 10 yards down the field a special talent. He’s only starting, because it’s all we have, and he knows the offense. He is a game manger at QB, but in order for this offense to be truly efficient you have to be able to sling it. Espeically vs SEC caliber defenses

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
Will Rogers a special talent? What’s special about it? I would’t call a QB that can’t throw it passed 10 yards down the field a special talent. He’s only starting, because it’s all we have, and he knows the offense. He is a game manger at QB, but in order for this offense to be truly efficient you have to be able to sling it. Espeically vs SEC caliber defenses. Unfortunately, that will never be the case with Will Rodgers at QB. But Completion percentage lol

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m not sure how much scheming is even done. They have a few special plays like the shuttle pass but otherwise they just run the same stuff and hope it works. I don’t think they have answers for when those relatively few plays aren’t working. Leach isn’t doing much to alleviate that pressure on Will to make all the plays.
This can be seen all over Leach's face any time that his air raid is floundering. It's hard to describe, but it's like this wide eyed, open mouthed blank stare that says "well crap, I never considered the possibility of this not working."

Reactions: patdog

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Will Rogers a special talent? What’s special about it? I would’t call a QB that can’t throw it passed 10 yards down the field a special talent. He’s only starting, because it’s all we have, and he knows the offense. He is a game manger at QB, but in order for this offense to be truly efficient you have to be able to sling it. Espeically vs SEC caliber defenses
Rogers can throw it 30+ yds accurately and he has many times but he just doesn’t do it most of the time for whatever reason.
Yeah considering they went from one of the top passing teams in the league to one of the top rushing teams I would agree. He also seems to be very good at getting the ball in his playmakers hands. It kills me that tulu griffin rarely gets to touch the ball on offense, even Rufus Harvey. Be nice to see them take a jet sweep snd not a dump off pass to get dropped because no one is blocking.
I’ve been waiting on a jet sweep for three years. Especially considering that they fake that handoff at least once a game. When I first saw that fake I just knew they would try it soon but they never have. It’s baffling to me.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Rogers can throw it 30+ yds accurately and he has many times but he just doesn’t do it most of the time for whatever reason.

I’ve been waiting on a jet sweep for three years. Especially considering that they fake they handoff at least one a game. When I first saw that fake I just knew they would try it soon but they never have. It’s baffling to me.
It's a crime how we waste talent making them sit the bench as a backup receiver and just a kick off return man

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login