Which teams does Alabama want to play annually?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
It’s clear State fans don’t want Bama permanently, but I haven’t seen Tide fans or media posting on the interwebs about who they prefer. Anybody here heard anything?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Us. They don't want LSU. TV does, but Alabama doesn't. They want to win and play the hard games at the end of the season.

And honestly, we're going to have so many big time SEC games now that no one will miss Alabama vs. LSU playing every single year.

I fully expect to get paired with them. Absolutely we will.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It’s clear State fans don’t want Bama permanently, but I haven’t seen Tide fans or media posting on the interwebs about who they prefer. Anybody here heard anything?

Tennessee and Auburn will be their permanent opponents.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
There are so many top recruiters that you can’t avoid a difficult schedule no matter who your permanent opponents are. They’ll use permanents for rivalries and TV ratings. Alabama is going to get Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You bet your a___ Bama is going to want us. Bama doesn't care about honest and fair competition or "good games", they care about nattys (and they have a huge sway at SEC HQ). Having an automatic W on the schedule (without a whole lot of effort) is the best path to that end. Hopefully we can we withstand the pressure.

I'd rather there be only one or two perm opponents, as very few teams have three true rivals (most teams have only one).

Of the options above, you'd have to be an idiot to pick anything but number 4 (and our fan base is chock full of idiots).

T5-7 has been stumbling through the desert for many years, but they will eventually get it right and it will be hell to pay when they do.

I'd probably take the barn over LSU.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Birmingham is putting together the justifications right now to make Bama face the murderer's row of Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Missouri.
Michael Richards Yes GIF

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Bama fans are split. They all want Auburn & Tennessee. About half want their real rival, LSU. And about half want an "easy game," vs either of the Mississippi schools. Virtually none of them consider either MSU or UM a rival, they just want an "easy" game.

Reactions: travis.sixpack

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Birmingham is putting together the justifications right now to make Bama face the murderer's row of Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Missouri.
I don't get this line of thinking. ESPN is paying a lot of money to the SEC. It is not because of the Georgia-Mizzou or Alabama-Mississippi State games. They want to big-time match ups every week. You don't get that if you have a top tier team playing a lower tier team every year. Also, the move to 9 conference games per season will hurt the bottom half teams, especially UK and USC who already have to play a P5 school at the end of the year (UL and Clemson, respectively). IMO, Sankey has promised to soften the blow by making sure the lower tier teams in the SEC aren't having to play the top tier teams every year.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think Bama fans are split. They all want Auburn & Tennessee. About half want their real rival, LSU. And about half want an "easy game," vs either of the Mississippi schools. Virtually none of them consider either MSU or UM a rival, they just want an "easy" game.
I don't think fans will have any impact on this. It's going to be what Saban wants and he is consumed with winning nattys. Saban doesn't care what anyone thinks or wants.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think fans will have any impact on this. It's going to be what Saban wants and he is consumed with winning nattys. Saban doesn't care what anyone thinks or wants.
They won't. Bama's permanent opponents will be UT, AU & LSU. I can promise you that's who ESPN and the SEC office want. And that's what they'll get.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
And Saban controls the SEC so he will get what he wants. My bet is he wants to switch LSU for us.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't get this line of thinking. ESPN is paying a lot of money to the SEC. It is not because of the Georgia-Mizzou or Alabama-Mississippi State games. They want to big-time match ups every week. You don't get that if you have a top tier team playing a lower tier team every year. Also, the move to 9 conference games per season will hurt the bottom half teams, especially UK and USC who already have to play a P5 school at the end of the year (UL and Clemson, respectively). IMO, Sankey has promised to soften the blow by making sure the lower tier teams in the SEC aren't having to play the top tier teams every year.
I was kidding. I probably should have put sarcasterisks.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They won't. Bama's permanent opponents will be UT, AU & LSU. I can promise you that's who ESPN and the SEC office want. And that's what they'll get.
Concur that's who ESPN wants, the SEC probably wants what Bama wants (nattys), so it will be interesting.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
One thing to consider is the expanded playoff ...the SEC Will be getting at least 3 or 4 in a 12 team playoff....so a team with two losses is not out of the picture

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Do they really want that easy game against us? Or Vandy?

If I were them, if I got Auburn and UT, I'd want somebody easier than MSU or Ole Miss for the 3rd permanent. Just in case UT ends up being legitimate going forward and this isn't a fluke.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Ole miss/ark/lsu
Borderline bama. When we beat them, I’m on cocaine and hookers. What a celebration that will be

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
im sure bammer fans donut care and donut worry about this kinda thing. only our fans worry about crap like this. JUST PLAY THE DAMB SCHEDULE

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login