Who’s idea was this?

was21

May 29, 2007
And what could’ve possibly been discussed?

Cohen and PF not exactly congenial....goes back to the Moorhead error. In 2019 SEC Nation was held at Starkville. PF needled Cohen on the television interview. It was obvious that PF looked down his nose at Cohen as an SEC AD. He went as far as stating to his face that he was a middling baseball corch. They were scheduled to dine late that night at Cohen's residendce and it got cancelled after the interview. Also PF berated Moorhead to his face on the interview, asking him if he was a candidate for the Syracuse job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Templeton was almost SEC Commissioner. I wish Larry had today’s money and budget. He was a much better AD than y’all think. And he is a good man. Loves State with everything he has. A very good family friend. My Dad died a month and a half ago and Larry called and we talked for 20 minutes. Spoke very kindly of my Dad and I appreciated him doing that.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Templeton was almost SEC Commissioner. I wish Larry had today’s money and budget. He was a much better AD than y’all think. And he is a good man. Loves State with everything he has. A very good family friend. My Dad died a month and a half ago and Larry called and we talked for 20 minutes. Spoke very kindly of my Dad and I appreciated him doing that.
That's 20 minutes longer than Larry has any desire to talk to anyone in the background of that screenshot with Finebaum.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
No he wasn't. He was given a job by the SEC for hiring a black coach. The man held back MSU for years. Slive owned Templeton.
The man told Finebaum Croom was the right guy to hire. It was 100% politically done at the shove by Slive.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Nothing like a good dose of the truth to get your day going.....thank you.
The truth is more complicated as always. Was Templeton a jerk back then, in my very limited personal experience...yes. Did he do a good job at MSU, overall I think he did. It was a different era. Our athletic department had very little money compared to our SEC competition and nowhere near what it has today. Larry had to try to do a lot with a little. He did it pretty well. It did make him seem like the bad guy and a tight wad. I think that's where the "he held us back" narrative came in. His was replaced about the time we started to get more money from TV and the like. We started being able to build things and do things we never could afford to do before. That cemented the narrative. I'm sure I will get blasted for this one but that's just my take on they guy. One thing is for certain, he loves MSU.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
The truth is more complicated as always. Was Templeton a jerk back then, in my very limited personal experience...yes. Did he do a good job at MSU, overall I think he did. It was a different era. Our athletic department had very little money compared to our SEC competition and nowhere near what it has today. Larry had to try to do a lot with a little. He did it pretty well. It did make him seem like the bad guy and a tight wad. I think that's where the "he held us back" narrative came in. His was replaced about the time we started to get more money from TV and the like. We started being able to build things and do things we never could afford to do before. That cemented the narrative. I'm sure I will get blasted for this one but that's just my take on they guy. One thing is for certain, he loves MSU.
Yea I don't get why it's still cool to hate on Templeton. He may not have always made the right call and he may have been a dick, but at the end of the day he's a lifelong Bulldog who oversaw some of our most successful years in all of the big three sports. If you need someone to hate, maybe focus your efforts on Stricklin. That cock sucker ditched us the first chance he got.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Yea I don't get why it's still cool to hate on Templeton. He may not have always made the right call and he may have been a dick, but at the end of the day he's a lifelong Bulldog who oversaw some of our most successful years in all of the big three sports. If you need someone to hate, maybe focus your efforts on Stricklin. That cock sucker ditched us the first chance he got.
I'll go along with this despite the only chance I ever had to just say Hi and congratulate him he was truly a dick to me cuz he didn't know me. I was just a $100 / yr BC member and fan thus not worthy of a 5 second hello / handshake. Left me hangin'. But I'll take him and the overall job he did over Stricklin the Traitor.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
It was a good interview. I know he was probably a stand in for Cohen. I'd love to hear the story of why Cohen hates Finebaum.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Boy there is some changing of history going on with Templeton is this thread.Templeton held Mississippi State back in so many ways.
The narrative on that never was correct. I lived it, right down to being ignored when I was PRESIDING at a county alumni meeting. He was a jerk if he didn't know you, and he didn't know you unless you were a current big donor. Overall he did a pretty good job with what he had to work with. Personally, I couldn't stand him.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

was21

May 29, 2007
Was Templeton against the hire?
Not that I'm aware. I do know that when Sherill was contacted, he stated that he wanted to discuss the job with the university president and in effect, ignored LT.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I only tried to say hello to Templeton a couple of times. He pretty much just ignored my effort to shake hands both times. Not a large donor but have been a member of the Bulldog Club for 40 years and attending games for what is now 61 years. He is an *** and so is Cohen. Yes, he held us back. No vision at all. Other than Vanderbilt, all other SEC schools widened the gap on us during his tenure. Perhaps if he had not been such an *** he might have had more money to work with.

KorbenDallas

Sep 29, 2022
The narrative on that never was correct. I lived it, right down to being ignored when I was PRESIDING at a county alumni meeting. He was a jerk if he didn't know you, and he didn't know you unless you were a current big donor. Overall he did a pretty good job with what he had to work with. Personally, I couldn't stand him.
Templeton held Mississippi State back in so many ways ,that's a fact!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It was a good interview. I know he was probably a stand in for Cohen. I'd love to hear the story of why Cohen hates Finebaum.
I don’t know the story with Cohen and Finebaum but Cohen was on the stage with Tebow while all the Finebaum interviews were going on. I guess he could have went on earlier, I think that the Tebow thing started at 4

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This. People praise Templeton for getting by with a small budget, but it's largely his fault that we had a small budget. Increasing revenue was a big part of his job, and he failed at it.
Ok, so how would you improve on it? This is a REAL question, because it's still absolutely relevant. Let's hear it.

Puppychow

Nov 5, 2014
Templeton was a fantastic AD. He lacked the social skills desired by fans because he never considered the celebrity that came with the job. He was always the adult in the room. His resume speaks for itself.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Being a good guy and a good AD aren’t the same.

he wasn’t a bad AD but he definitely wasn’t a great AD.

he also didn’t go after the younger crowd and often turned his nose up at people who were big boosters but not the top ones.

My uncle was a top exec for an oil company. Had 4 east side club tickets and gave more money than was needed to get those tickets. Also gave to the engineering school a significant amount.

he’d go out of his way to speak to Larry and get the cold shoulder and I’ve heard that from a number of people.

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022
It was a great interview. Finebaum showed great respect to Templeton, who was the AD that led the committee to start the SEC Network and that he was AD who broke the coaching color barrier with the hiring of Coach Croom.
New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
If you ever want to see why there were message board wars in the early 2000s between here and Genespage, just read this thread.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Templeton was a fantastic AD. He lacked the social skills desired by fans because he never considered the celebrity that came with the job. He was always the adult in the room. His resume speaks for itself.
Hell, he even had the piss ditch in the men's bathrooms named after him.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Larry Templeton was an embarrassment - but he was OUR embarrassment.

Shitcanning that worthless pile of crap is Doc Fogelsong's legacy - and he should be honored for it.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Both of the codgers in that picture are played out. Relics of a bygone era. And I don't really care how True Maroon he was or how much he claimed to love MSU. If you aren't interested in hiring the best available coach you aren't True Maroon enough.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm glad for your personal interaction with LT. Stuff like that was the exception with him, not the norm. He's pretty well known for being elitist and unapproachable.

And he was never close to being SEC commissioner. I'm sure he loves telling people that at cocktail parties, but it's ludicrous.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Don’t know the man. Never met him or found myself in the same room with him in all my years in Starkville. I never did like him as AD. He seemed to me to be okay with mediocrity. Then he hired Croom. And mediocrity never looked so good. Not a good AD.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login