Who has more, or is spending more NIL money for football: Us or Ole Miss?

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Have they decreased their resources from baseball and basketball, and gone more all in for football? Them are we spreading ourselves thin over all three sports?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
This year, OM. They're all in because they had a lot of pieces and the playoffs expanded. It's smart of them to do that. That's the strategy we should have too.

Reactions: Dawgbite

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
We are gaining ground. Cohen left us so unprepared that Selman has had to establish and revamp the Bryan building.
Thank God for Charlie and the BI it has continued to preform. We always need more but we have great alignment with our AD and the BI.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
we probably have more in the bank because OM has spent every penny they had and every penny they think they will have in the foreseeable future. We are budgeting for the long game, they bet everything on the COME line. History will determine who had the proper strategy.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
we probably have more in the bank because OM has spent every penny they had and every penny they think they will have in the foreseeable future. We are budgeting for the long game, they bet everything on the COME line. History will determine who had the proper strategy.
Ole miss is in a very high risk reward position. Unfortunately, we weren’t in a position that it made sense to dump a bunch of money into it. Too many pieces missing and without a proven coach. Hopefully they’ll over spend and not get anything sustainable from it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If we're putting NIL money in the bank, we're doing it wrong. I've heard this story for 30 years. That we somehow have this big stockpile of money that we're saving for just the right time. I believed it then. I'm wiser now.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We are gaining ground. Cohen left us so unprepared that Selman has had to establish and revamp the Bryan building.
Thank God for Charlie and the BI it has continued to preform. We always need more but we have great alignment with our AD and the BI.
Cohen put us a year behind by not doing anything … Ole Miss already had 3 different NIL groups going a year before Charlie started.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
We spent all of ours on softball, soccer, women's basketball, men's basketball, and....

"Have you seen our baseball stadium" ads

• Haha
Reactions: eckie1

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
There is a risk putting all your eggs in the 2024 CFP basket (Ole Miss). Although, that may work out really well for them.

There’s also risk in being too cautious (playing the long game) with the landscape of college sports changing so fast. You could end up always operating under the previous paradigm.

Reactions: patdog
Oct 7, 2022
Their alumni including doctors and lawyers have more discretionary income that they're willing to put into the football program. State has a lot of wealthy donors as well, but they're more likely to put donations toward education.
Absolutely correct. The “they have more wealthy donors than us” line has always been false. Do they have someone on the Forbes top 15?(the answer is no).

Our people care more about the actual student part of “student/athlete”.

Reactions: Hot Rock

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I imagine there’s a bunch of maxed out credit cards owned by blow hard ole miss frat boys in their mid 20’s that don’t know how to be smart with money yet.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Because their alumni base is bigger. Like it or not they have more big money alumni.
We need to start a law school immediately and work with OCH to start a medical school over the next few years.

Having doctor/lawyer alumni will pay for itself in the long term.

AT4 Dawg

Sep 18, 2012
We need to start a law school immediately and work with OCH to start a medical school over the next few years.

Having doctor/lawyer alumni will pay for itself in the long term.
We produce just as many doctors as they do. I don’t know how the split is currently, but a few years ago there were MSU grads at UMMC than Ole Miss grads. The old misconception that you had to go to Ole Miss to go to medical school is firmly debunked.

Reactions: 60sdog and was21

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
We produce just as many doctors as they do. I don’t know how the split is currently, but a few years ago there were MSU grads at UMMC than Ole Miss grads. The old misconception that you had to go to Ole Miss to go to medical school is firmly debunked.
We would produce even more doctors and lawyers if we had a law school and a medical school, because we would get graduates of other universities coming in.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
This was the rumor last year too. I suspect it’s at minimum highly exaggerated. But whatever they’re doing, they’re doing it better than we are.
They have a certified, soulless POS as a coach, as well. In this day of college football, that’s a benefit. It’s impressive to me that he’s not only still employed, he’s exceeded all reasonable expectations and hasn’t been caught banging sorostitutes.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I don't know how much NIL OM has.... but I know they have a larger law firm with three lawyers handling their collective.

As for football, they never had a problem buying players in the past. However there was the pesky NCAA to boot them back down the pile. That problem has been eliminate.

The money will flow there. Maybe not Bama or UT money.... but they'll have enough to be a nuisance to the blue bloods and a problem for the bottom half.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
They have a certified, soulless POS as a coach, as well. In this day of college football, that’s a benefit. It’s impressive to me that he’s not only still employed, he’s exceeded all reasonable expectations and hasn’t been caught banging sorostitutes.
He’s won a lot of games there. I wish we had a coach like that.

Reactions: was21

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I don't know how much NIL OM has.... but I know they have a larger law firm with three lawyers handling their collective.

As for football, they never had a problem buying players in the past. However there was the pesky NCAA to boot them back down the pile. That problem has been eliminate.

The money will flow there. Maybe not Bama or UT money.... but they'll have enough to be a nuisance to the blue bloods and a problem for the bottom half.
They lose everything they've got after this season. They'll be in the situation we're in and they've spent so much that they'll have to build back up like any other school. But, they'll have been in the playoffs too more than likely. John Cohen shouldn't be allowed back on campus the way he put us in the hole.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
They lose everything they've got after this season. They'll be in the situation we're in and they've spent so much that they'll have to build back up like any other school. But, they'll have been in the playoffs too more than likely. John Cohen shouldn't be allowed back on campus the way he put us in the hole.
Delusional

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
After the 2019 egg bowl, both programs were at a crossroads. OM took a gamble on Kiffin, and went all in on the football program. It’s paid off.

After Cohen completely fumbled all the momentum from the Mullen era, he was indecisive with the Moorhead firing. Then Cohen followed this up with a very safe, high floor, low ceiling hire with Leach. The biggest issue with this hire is it wasn’t forward thinking, Cohen nor Leach were prepared for NIL and portal era. Flash forward about 4 years later and here we are.

How anyone here could say something positive about John Cohen is beyond me. The guy was a complete asshat.

This is the same story, just a different thread. If you have any questions as to why State has zero momentum or energy in athletics it begins with John Cohen in November of 2017 followed by massive blunders until Auburn bailed us out 5 years later.

We’re about to find out if Selmon/Lebby is the answer or not. 2 weeks.

Reactions: patdog

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
After the 2019 egg bowl, both programs were at a crossroads. OM took a gamble on Kiffin, and went all in on the football program. It’s paid off.

After Cohen completely fumbled all the momentum from the Mullen era, he was indecisive with the Moorhead firing. Then Cohen followed this up with a very safe, high floor, low ceiling hire with Leach. The biggest issue with this hire is it wasn’t forward thinking, Cohen nor Leach were prepared for NIL and portal era. Flash forward about 4 years later and here we are.

How anyone here could say something positive about John Cohen is beyond me. The guy was a complete asshat.

This is the same story, just a different thread. If you have any questions as to why State has zero momentum or energy in athletics it begins with John Cohen in November of 2017 followed by massive blunders until Auburn bailed us out 5 years later.

We’re about to find out if Selmon/Lebby is the answer or not. 2 weeks.
Not based in reality. You left out Arnett and the boosters gutting Leachs veteran team that went 9-4 and beat Ole Miss. States lack of NIL money is not on Leach and to suggest so is absurd.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Not based in reality. You left out Arnett and the boosters gutting Leachs veteran team that went 9-4 and beat Ole Miss. States lack of NIL money is not on Leach and to suggest so is absurd.
You live in a fantasy world or are just a troll at this point. I’m not going to discuss this Mike Leach 2023 fantasy again, that season was not setup to be what you believe it was.

Zach Arnett was not prepared to be a HC and it showed last season. Regardless of how you think last year should’ve gone, it doesn’t replace the fact that Cohen left us in disarray in regards to NIL (the point of this thread). We’ll see what Selmon/Lebby can do.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009

OM got a good head start on NIL, but when the blue bloods decide to go all-in the NIL, OM will no longer be able to take players they want.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
You live in a fantasy world or are just a troll at this point. I’m not going to discuss this Mike Leach 2023 fantasy again, that season was not setup to be what you believe it was.

Zach Arnett was not prepared to be a HC and it showed last season. Regardless of how you think last year should’ve gone, it doesn’t replace the fact that Cohen left us in disarray in regards to NIL (the point of this thread). We’ll see what Selmon/Lebby can do.
Sorry, being the smallest least funded school in the sec doesnt fall on the head coach. No matter who the coach is the finamcial reality is not going to change. Trying to pin that on Leach is a freaking joke.

of course you wont discuss 2023 , it makes your agument look like the dishonest gibberish it is.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Sorry, being the smallest least funded school in the sec doesnt fall on the head coach. No matter who the coach is the finamcial reality is not going to change. Trying to pin that on Leach is a freaking joke.

of course you wont discuss 2023 , it makes your agument look like the dishonest gibberish it is.
What do you want to discuss about 2023? Do you think we were headed for the SEC championship game? Let’s say hypothetically Leach never passed. I’ll play that game. We would’ve head into 2023 with a new DC (which would’ve meant a lot of turnover in defensive personnel) which would be concerning since defense was the primary reason for any success we had under Leach. You combine that with the majority of our skill players were out the door because they hated playing in the air raid (Dillon Johnson, Marks, Tulu, Zavion). So I’ll give it to you, we probably would been better than 5-7. Let’s be generous and say 7-5 and another trip to the Liberty Bowl. Congrats. Hang a 17ing banner.

And can you not read? I blamed Cohen as the primary reason for NIL. But you also need a coach who is invested and willing to play the game as well. Leach at 62 was not that guy.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
8 home games with Leach returning nearly everybody in year four of his system coming off 9-4. Is there anyone here who can not see that the season outcome would not have been MUCH BETTER ? lol

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
8 home games with Leach returning nearly everybody in year four of his system coming off 9-4. Is there anyone here who can not see that the season outcome would not have been MUCH BETTER ? lol
I just laid out reasons it likely wouldn’t be. And since you’re a fan of numbers, against SEC opponents & Illinois in 2022, we averaged 21 OFFENSIVE POINTS A GAME.

You guys sure do have a lot of faith in Will Rogers becoming Drew Bledsoe in 2023. We only had 3 seasons of film in the air raid to see who he was.

If you’d like to lay out a case as to why you think 2023 was setup to be some magical season, I’d love to hear it. But instead you just mouth breathe and say “Leach won 8 games in 2022! We were going to be awesome next season!!1!” Without any intellectual insight.

Are you going to reply to me or send another message into the abyss hoping Goat will come and rescue you?

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I just laid out reasons it likely wouldn’t be. And since you’re a fan of numbers, against SEC opponents & Illinois in 2022, we averaged 21 OFFENSIVE POINTS A GAME.

You guys sure do have a lot of faith in Will Rogers becoming Drew Bledsoe in 2023. We only had 3 seasons of film in the air raid to see who he was.

If you’d like to lay out a case as to why you think 2023 was setup to be some magical season, I’d love to hear it. But instead you just mouth breathe and say “Leach won 8 games in 2022! We were going to be awesome next season!!1!” Without any intellectual insight.

Are you going to reply to me or send another message into the abyss hoping Goat will come and rescue you?
Yea 2023 played out just like you said it would before last season. You sure know what you are talking about.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Because their alumni base is bigger. Like it or not they have more big money alumni.
Or big money alumni that are willing to fork over the $. They clearly have a different mindset, on average, when it comes to having their identity tied to UM sports, especially football.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
What do you want to discuss about 2023? Do you think we were headed for the SEC championship game? Let’s say hypothetically Leach never passed. I’ll play that game. We would’ve head into 2023 with a new DC (which would’ve meant a lot of turnover in defensive personnel) which would be concerning since defense was the primary reason for any success we had under Leach. You combine that with the majority of our skill players were out the door because they hated playing in the air raid (Dillon Johnson, Marks, Tulu, Zavion). So I’ll give it to you, we probably would been better than 5-7. Let’s be generous and say 7-5 and another trip to the Liberty Bowl. Congrats. Hang a 17ing banner.

And can you not read? I blamed Cohen as the primary reason for NIL. But you also need a coach who is invested and willing to play the game as well. Leach at 62 was not that guy.
If Leach had not died, why would we have a new DC in 2023? First I have head this.

If Leach had not died, State would have won 9-10 games in 2023. We would still be in trouble for 2024, maybe more than we will be under Lebby.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Can we stop this please you are so out of touch. ZA was given a basically an interim job and contract. He and HE alone made the call to go against the AR. We did have the foresight to give us an out of if it didn’t work out and it didn’t. Please stop with the the boosters did this. Believe it or not not everyone was on board with the hiring of meathead. God we have some misinformed fans that take one dam rumor and run with it like it’s fact

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login