Who is on the short list? Names I have seen

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
John Currie... wake Forrest

And the gut from Utah.

What are you guys hearing?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Who was the guy that was at small college in bama (B'ham Southern?) who was also did basketball TV broadcasts? He is a MSU alum.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Wouldn't he be another inbred
I mean he worked here for four years but he’s a UGA grad that’s also worked there, Auburn, and Arkansas, and now has AD experience at Georgia Southern.

Maybe he’s not candidate numero uno but he has solid credentials and would be an acceptable hire.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I laughed. Then my @$$ cinched up. Haysoos Aych Cristo, this would be par for the course.

Note to DS: Please for the love of god, force your 17n overlords to let us type a s s without the 17n asterisks.
He's now one of the first names I've heard mentioned.***

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Why is John Currie getting so much attention? The most I know about him was from the few months he was at Tennessee and that was 17ing embarrassing.

Why are so many people clamoring for him now? Did Wake Forest rehab his image that much?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Why are so many people clamoring for him now? Did Wake Forest rehab his image that much?

Don’t see how they possibly could have. Granted, they’ve got major disadvantages, but they haven’t been noteworthy in anything except football since Currie arrived, and that’s only due to Clawson who was hired 5 years prior to Currie.

Reactions: Dawgg

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Why is John Currie getting so much attention? The most I know about him was from the few months he was at Tennessee and that was 17ing embarrassing.

Was named AD of the year in March sounds like he would be a good hire to me

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

The Tennessee thing is largely an outlier in his career, and it’s debatable how much of that was even on him and how much of it was him being a victim a Phil Fulmer power play. I mean think about it, their reasoning for running him off was they weren’t satisfied with Greg Schiano or Mike Leach, so they canned Currie just so they could hire…. Jeremy Pruitt? Schiano and Leach would’ve been light years better than that clown.

Currie has been national AD of the year twice and was very highly respected at Kansas State and now at Wake. He’s also got a reputation of being a great fundraiser and puts an emphasis on marketing and fan experience. In terms of his hires, he brought Tony Vitello to UT and Steve Forbes to Wake (their basketball team just won 19 more games last year than the previous year)

Currie brings a lot to the table that could potentially help us a lot. He’s a good AD.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Why? Because of the weasel Fulmer? Currie is one of the hottest names out there, we’d be fools not to give him a look

Damn right. Its a big black mark on him that he got railroaded in his own search that badly….regardless of the how / why. He had no cohesive plan and it showed. Tried to fly by the seat of his pants and it cost him big time.

I’m all ears if there’s a reason we should give him a second chance, but nobody’s presented one. Him being “a hot name” hardly qualifies.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Damn right. Its a big black mark on him that he got railroaded in his own search that badly….regardless of the how / why. He had no cohesive plan and it showed. Tried to fly by the seat of his pants and it cost him big time.

I’m all ears if there’s a reason we should give him a second chance, but nobody’s presented one. Him being “a hot name” hardly qualifies.
Was named AD of the year multiple times as latest as March of this year. Had record breaking fundraising numbers at Tennessee and K-State which we are last in the SEC since Cohen hated fundraising. Seems to make great hires as MSUDC stated. He didn’t become a hot name by not doing something right

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Was named AD of the year multiple times as latest as March of this year. Had record breaking fundraising numbers at Tennessee and K-State which we are last in the SEC since Cohen hated fundraising. Seems to make great hires as MSUDC stated. He didn’t become a hot name by not doing something right

Thats encouraging. I’d like to hear more about the record breaking numbers at Tennessee though. Seems surprising considering that he was only there for about 8 months.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
This guy may have a couple of blemishes. His investigation into employment matters, and subsequent firing of, a woman basketball coach was, reportedly, the basis of a $3.35 million judgment against SDSU. And, recently, there is a fairly significant firestorm of controversy surrounding the handling of the rape accusations against three football players at SDSU in 2021. The punter that was waived by Buffalo when the civil suit dropped in September is what I'm talking about. The alleged rape occurred while the guy was a member of the SDSU football team. The press out there is giving JDW a lot of grief for being dismissive, fairly or unfairly.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Not really in this order but

Whetherbee-eastern Michigan (I thought he was the guy after Stricklin then they hired cohen)
Hartwell-Utah state
Mack Rhoades- Baylor
John Currie-WF

i think it's a decent list of sitting p5 guys and g5 guys we could get and bring to SEC.

Reactions: vandaldawg

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
I’d heard Tommy McClelland’s name some time ago as one to watch. Deputy AD at Vandy now. Was the AD at La Tech before that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login