Who is the best QB in college football history

ForDale3

Nov 16, 2022
Here’s the question. If you were assembling a team to run your choice of offense, which qb do you take and why? I want Manziel - I want the quickness. Never seen a QB that quick

Reactions: Anon1669338224
Aug 22, 2012
Here’s the question. If you were assembling a team to run your choice of offense, which qb do you take and why? I want Manziel - I want the quickness. Never seen a QB that quick
I loved his innovation and escapability, but a lot of his success was because he had 6'6" NFL All-Pro receiver Mike Evans to toss a hail mary to whenever he got in trouble and he had maturity issues.

The two correct answers are either Joe Burrow if you are running a pro style offense or Cam Newton if you are running the spread. Cam had some off the field issues, but on the field he was a professional...literally. Remember - the only difference between 2010 9-4 MSU and 14-0 national champs Auburn was Cam (and Nick Fairly to a lesser degree).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The two correct answers are either Joe Burrow if you are running a pro style offense or Cam Newton if you are running the spread. Cam had some off the field issues, but on the field he was a professional...literally. Remember - the only difference between 2010 9-4 MSU and 14-0 national champs Auburn was Cam (and Nick Fairly to a lesser degree).
Cam can run any offense at the college level. Burrow was great throwing the ball, but so was Cam and he was also an unstoppable runner due to size/speed. A lot of high schools just end up putting their best overall athlete at QB, but it's rare you can do that on the college level. And he almost did it in the pros.

These things tend to matter less on the pro level but in college? Dominating.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I loved his innovation and escapability, but a lot of his success was because he had 6'6" NFL All-Pro receiver Mike Evans to toss a hail mary to whenever he got in trouble and he had maturity issues.

Burrow had a team loaded with the best players money could buy. He’s good but his numbers were bloated by being surrounded by NFL talent at literally every position.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Burrow had a team loaded with the best players money could buy. He’s good but his numbers were bloated by being surrounded by NFL talent at literally every position.
I would agree with you if Burrow didn’t just almost win the Super Bowl last year with a historically bad franchise and maybe the worst OL in the NFL. I think he is just that good.

Burrow is my pick. Yeah he benefited from having Jefferson and Chase (among others) but he was an elite elite QB.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I would agree with you if Burrow didn’t just almost win the Super Bowl last year with a historically bad franchise and maybe the worst OL in the NFL. I think he is just that good.

Burrow is my pick. Yeah he benefited from having Jefferson and Chase (among others) but he was an elite elite QB.
His entire OL got drafted
Two TE’s Stephen Sullivan and Moss
Three first or second round WR’s and 1-2 others drafted
Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Year before, LSU was just above trash with Burrow at QB. Disagree with me if you want but you’re wrong.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
You can say that about nearly every elite player/program. Teams don't compete for nattys with a team full of 2 stars.

Burrow put up video game numbers in a somewhat traditional offense which is even crazier. He wasn't running the Run and Shoot or the Air Raid which is predominately what you see with QBs at the top of the NCAA record books.

LSU had at least 100 yards rushing every game that season, except 1---MSU. And they had 11 games with at least 30 rushing attempts. Three games they had over 40 rushing attempts and Burrow still threw for over 300 in each of them. That is just pure craziness.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
You can say that about nearly every elite player/program. Teams don't compete for nattys with a team full of 2 stars.

Burrow put up video game numbers in a somewhat traditional offense which is even crazier. He wasn't running the Run and Shoot or the Air Raid which is predominately what you see with QBs at the top of the NCAA record books.

LSU had at least 100 yards rushing every game that season, except 1---MSU. And they had 11 games with at least 30 rushing attempts. Three games they had over 40 rushing attempts and Burrow still threw for over 300 in each of them. That is just pure craziness.
Just because you can say it doesn’t make it true. Alabama was the last one I remember having their entire OL drafted. And I believe that was 3-5 years ago or longer

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I've always wondered what Vince Young would have look like in a Dan Mullen / Gus Malzahn type offense. I think his performance in that championship game is what set the tone for college offense in the years immediately after that. There's always been dual threat QBs - but he pretty much single handedly took down USC in that game. It was a legendary performance and everyone wanted a QB like that.

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
Cam Newton/Mike Vick…. Just think of what Mike Vick could have been in a spread of fence of today. (I ask the same question about what a backfield of Omar Conner, Jerious Norwood, and Nick Turner would have looked like had Mullen come along 5 years earlier)

Reactions: ServiceDogg

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Just because you can say it doesn’t make it true. Alabama was the last one I remember having their entire OL drafted. And I believe that was 3-5 years ago or longer
And Alabama's QB also didn't lead the nation in passing. So what does that have to do with anything? Burrow torched the record books. Having an OLine keeping him standing played a SMALL part inth that, but it didn't have anything to do with the results that HIS arm produced.

• Haha
Reactions: Coast_Dawg

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
Cam is my first pick, with Peyton following. But I have to float John Elway out there. Fun to watch that guy throw the ball.

was21

May 29, 2007
oops

Last edited:

ForDale3

Nov 16, 2022
I think cam is probably the correct choice. I would never pick him with our history with him.

Sep 15, 2009
If you watch those games, his receivers did not drop anything even if the passes were over their heads, behind them, short, etc. Not a knock on Burrow at all, because he is obviously great. But your point is dead on the money.

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Relative to the offense his team was running, Tommie Frazier was un17ing-believable. I think his record was something like 46-4 including 2-1 in national championship games.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
And Alabama's QB also didn't lead the nation in passing. So what does that have to do with anything? Burrow torched the record books. Having an OLine keeping him standing played a SMALL part inth that, but it didn't have anything to do with the results that HIS arm produced.
You said the same can be said about any elite player or team. When is the last time that the 10 of 11 from an offense got drafted after one season? I think 9 out of 11 got drafted after 2019. Moss and Chase didn’t. Chase wasn’t eligible and then was the #5 overall the next year to the Bengals because they sucked after Burrow blew out his knee so they got a top 5 pick two years in a row.

Since stats are all that matter, I guess Bailey Zappe is the greatest since he had the greatest single season in NCAA history. Case Keenum had the best career. Neither of them had 10 other NFL players on their team. Any thing can be twisted to fit your narrative if you try hard enough.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017

And a dropped pic 6 for us.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Ryan Leaf

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Cam is the only answer here. He and Bo Jackson are the two best offensive players in college football history. Crazy they both went to the barn.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
One answer, Jackie and every other SEC coach screwed the pooch on him.
Steve McNair

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Dan Marino, Pittsburgh. Jim Plunkett at Stanford was also great. These were back before most on this board were even born. Joe Namath at Alabama could score whenever he needed to, and Roger Staubach at Navy, too.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Dan Marino, Pittsburgh. Jim Plunkett at Stanford was also great. These were back before most on this board were even born. Joe Namath at Alabama could score whenever he needed to, and Roger Staubach at Navy, too.
Dan Marino is my all time favorite QB. that being said, his college numbers were not great. 79 td's - 69 int's over his career as a 4 year starter... 54 td's - 46 int's his last two years... 57.6 career completion percentage. in my opinion, greatest college qb, no, greatest pro qb , yes.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022

Cam Newton was great, but Michael Vick was the cheat code. He ran a 4.33, could throw it 70 yards on a dime with a perfect spiral and would have been the best running back in college had he not been a QB. He also led Va Tech to a national championship game.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login