Who says college baseball is a non-revenue sport?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
The Hattiesburg American put out an article yesterday stating that the estimated economic impact of USM hosting tournaments this year was $20 million for the city of Hattiesburg. I can only imagine what it is for Starkville. Take note, local businesses. Time to break out the checkbooks for NIL purposes.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
It’s only a money maker for a very small selection of schools, we just happen to be one of them.

was21

May 29, 2007
Just an aside. State declares Dudy Noble as the Carnegie Hall of college baseball. Carnegie Hall is essentially a concert hall. DN should be promoted as a modern Taj Mahal. The Taj Mahal is noted for its architectural features. So typical faux pas of State...smh as usual.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Got the figures? I'd love to stand corrected. The last time I heard anyone from the ADs office comment we were about breaking even on it.

I have a feeling your actual answer lies somewhere between the two of you. I just don't know how you would get all of the economic impacts from a full season of baseball to the entire economy of school and the city but it would make a really worthwhile project for the school to do. Maybe track economic impacts of football, basketball, and baseball over a few years so they can fund this under some other hat in the athletic department. The problem is getting the businesses in Starkville to actually give you good numbers.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Just an aside. State declares Dudy Noble as the Carnegie Hall of college baseball. Carnegie Hall is essentially a concert hall. DN should be promoted as a modern Taj Mahal. The Taj Mahal is noted for its architectural features. So typical faux pas of State...smh as usual.
The Taj is a TOOMB.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I have a feeling your actual answer lies somewhere between the two of you. I just don't know how you would get all of the economic impacts from a full season of baseball to the entire economy of school and the city but it would make a really worthwhile project for the school to do. Maybe track economic impacts of football, basketball, and baseball over a few years so they can fund this under some other hat in the athletic department. The problem is getting the businesses in Starkville to actually give you good numbers.
I was talking about just the numbers for the athletic department. There is no question it brings in a ton of money to Starkville.

was21

May 29, 2007
Yes it is a mausaoleam, But it's still an architechtural treasure not a concert venue.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Yes it is a mausaoleam, But it's still an architechtural treasure not a concert venue.

Well, a concert hall of that magnitude is a venue for exceptional performances. A tomb is a venue for dead bodies, no matter what the magnitude. I'd prefer not to think of MSU athletics as a dead body.

Leftlanedriver

Jan 1, 2021

Since it opened in 1891, Carnegie Hall has set the international standard for musical excellence as the aspirational destination for the world’s finest artists… The Hall’s unique history is rooted in its stunning acoustics… leading to the famous quote “how do you get to Carnegie Hall? practice, practice, practice.”

Architecturally it is one of the most beautiful venues you will find, both inside and out. Having been there and seen the London Philharmonic Orchestra preform, I can assure it is there is a reason performers of all genres want to play Carnegie Hall.

But the comparison isn’t architectural. We should always want Dudy Noble to be the place where players aspire to play and we should put everything we have into making sure we attract the best of the best when it comes to college baseball. And those that have the honor of playing there understand this and the expectation of excellence.

You probably don’t remember, but the comparison was made long before the new stadium and it was because of what baseball means at Mississippi State.

I too, am shaking my head, but it’s because we have fans can’t comprehend this comparison.

<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">Since it opened in 1891, Carnegie Hall has set the international standard for musical excellence as the aspirational destination for the world’s finest artists… The Hall’s unique history is rooted in its stunning acoustics… leading to the famous quote “how do you get to Carnegie Hall? practice, practice, practice.”

Architecturally it is one of the most beautiful venues you will find, both inside and out. Having been there and seen the London Philharmonic Orchestra preform there I can assure it is there is a reason performers of all genres want to play Carnegie Hall.

But the comparison isn’t architectural. We should always aspire for Dudy Noble to be the place where players want to play and we should put everything we have into making sure we attract the best of the best when it comes to college baseball. And those that have the honor of playing there understand this and the expectation of excellence.

We should always aspire to have the same with Dudy Noble and put everything we have into making sure we attract the best of the best when it comes to college baseball. And those that have the honor of playing there understand this and the expectation of excellence.

You probably don’t remember, but the comparison was made long before the new stadium and it was because of what baseball means at Mississippi State.

I too am shaking my head, but it’s because we have fans can’t comprehend this comparison.
</body>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login