• Jurrangelo Cijntje

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Pico Kohn

Votes: 8 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patdog

May 28, 2007
Got to be Stephen. Their pitching staff is good. Have to expect a low scoring game. St. John's is a team that we should beat, but they're absolutely good enough to make us pay if we don't take that game seriously. I fell a lot better about Pico or Auger against Virginia's #4 & #5 starters than against St. John's ace.

Reactions: aTotal360

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Got to be Stephen. Their pitching staff is good. Have to expect a low scoring game. St. John's is a team that we should beat, but they're absolutely good enough to make us pay if we don't take that game seriously. I fell a lot better about Pico or Auger against Virginia's #4 & #5 starters than against St. John's ace.
Will we see St. John's ace? He hasn't been pitching Game 1.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
It will be Stephen, but Kohn could struggle if he faces UVA since they are almost entirely RH. It would be nice to have all RHP available for them, but it probably won’t work out that way.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I’d go jurrangelo. Save khal for game 2.

don’t see how you can’t throw one of the two though, and I wouldn’t argue either way… the above is just my preference.

Reactions: stateu1

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It will be Stephen, but Kohn could struggle if he faces UVA since they are almost entirely RH. It would be nice to have all RHP available for them, but it probably won’t work out that way.
fwiw
Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 10.08.55 AM.png

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
At first glance, I don't see anything about Penn that makes me think Virginia will fire their best bullet on Friday.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
At first glance, I don't see anything about Penn that makes me think Virginia will fire their best bullet on Friday.
There is no way Virginia throws their ace at Penn.

granted i have not seen their 2-3 arms. But with the uva bats, I would assume they could use a mid week arm and win

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I'd guess it'll be Khal, then Loo, then Auger. Khal gives you the best chance to go deep and save some bullpen. There's always the chance if you throw Jurrangelo in game 1 that he exits after 5 and we may end up burning some extra arms in game 1 if the game is still tight.

Win the first two with our two best, then just need to figure out one win with Auger/Pico/maybe Dohm...

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
There is no way Virginia throws their ace at Penn.

granted i have not seen their 2-3 arms. But with the uva bats, I would assume they could use a mid week arm and win
Penn was feisty last year, beat Auburn in a 1 vs 4 game and made it to the Regional final before losing to USM. But I don’t think they’re as good of a team this year.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'd guess it'll be Khal, then Loo, then Auger. Khal gives you the best chance to go deep and save some bullpen. There's always the chance if you throw Jurrangelo in game 1 that he exits after 5 and we may end up burning some extra arms in game 1 if the game is still tight.

Win the first two with our two best, then just need to figure out one win with Auger/Pico/maybe Dohm...
Good point. Khal saves arms for later. CJ way more likel to have a short start

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
We have been really good with Jurrangelo on the mound. We won 7 of the 11 SEC games he started (including Hoover).

The four losses:
  • Texas A&M—4th best SEC offense. They were just better that day.
  • Georgia—Best SEC offense. Cijntje gave up 2 runs over 5 innings in a 3-2 loss.
  • Ole Miss—Left early due to injury after giving up 3 runs over 3 innings. We should have won the game, and we probably would have had he gone an inning or two longer.
  • Vanderbilt (Hoover)—Allowed 3 runs over 6 innings. No run support. We scored 1 run through 8 innings.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Based on the stats posted in this thread, St. John’s and UVA hit slightly better against RHP (*very* slightly in UVA’s case).
This really doesn’t matter since Khal and Cjintje will both throw from the right side.
I could see those two starting in either order, but would be beyond shocked if it wasn’t one of those two starting Friday.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It looks like SJ’s normal Friday guy is Xavier Kolhosser, but he hasn’t thrown more than 5 innings in a while. They have some quality pitching depth and like to piece things together.

This guy is a righty, 9-2 record, 3.61 ERA, doesn’t walk many but doesn’t strike out many, BAA is .263. So not just a super imposing Friday guy but like I said they do seem to have a good bullpen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If we were a 1, I’d go Kohn or Auger, but as a 2, I have to go Stephen then Jurrangelo
This is the right answer, with few exceptions. The 3-seed is going to be a legitimately pretty decent team that you have to take seriously. Big East is the best league out there other than the P5 and Sunbelt. It's not a 1-bid league. St. John's is a team that could beat our #3 starter, probably not Stephen though.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
How is this even a question. We have to go with our best in game 1.

Because it's a question every year at every stage of the postseason (Regionals, Supers, CWS, CWS Finals). It's become an SPS tradition. Personally, I can see the merits of both schools of thought, I'm just not smart enough to know which is best. My gut agrees with you, though.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I don't think it's a question when we are a 2. Maybe when we are a 1 seed the question can be asked. But as a 2 seed I think you always have to go with your best arm.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s not so much about the pitching as it is run support. Our pitchers were in every game in Hoover, but didn’t get the runs.
That's my concern. I'm afraid we may need to win a 2-1 or 3-2 type game Friday. I think Stephen can probably shut their bats down. With Auger or Pico, depends on whether you get good one or the bad one, which seems to be pretty random for both of them.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Seeing Virginia’s hitting stats makes me pretty nervous facing them. I think our top 2 guys may be good enough to give us a chance to win. However, I don’t feel good about facing Virginia with anyone other than Stephen or Cijintje. I think they will likely hit whoever else we throw a little better than we will hit whoever they throw.

Reactions: HuntDawg and patdog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I expect us to hit this weekend. Slumps aside, we only have 1 hole in our lineup. David Mershon had the 8th-best OPS on the team against SEC pitching. That's 8 spots that are capable of producing. I think it will be hard for teams to keep us down for a full game.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
The sexy play to me would be to start Auger game 1. That way Khal goes game 2 and Lo game 3 if needed. Sexy, yet mkre potential for possible trouble

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Has to be Khal. We are not a team that needs to play through the loser's bracket

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
speaking of starting, Johnny Thunderbird is already trying to start some mess with Bully up in VA

1717085497962.png

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I think we could have won with Auger or Pico but if you don’t win game 1 you’re kinda
17-ed.
I don’t think it’s going to be as much about our pitching this weekend as it is our hitting.
If that’s improved and our pitching just stays the same we have a dang good chance to be in the Supers.

Reactions: Anon1697564126
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login