Who was the crypto guy on the board?

LucaWatts

Dec 28, 2022
What little I’ve got, I hold on a Trezor, NOT on an exchange and it still makes me nervous. According to this article, there could be more and bigger trouble ahead:

That's it, the end of Sam. It's been 25 minutes live on CNBC announcing the indictments. Third prosecutor in a row to speak (everyone has their own area of responsibility) and now the CFTC director. I'm sure it's not a fine. That kind of publicity, that level of publicity. Genzler, the head of the SEC, said today that he would also monitor the case.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I remember reading about BTC 12 years ago when it showed up in traditional media articles explaining the story behind BTC's creation, what it is, etc.
I was confused as 17 at that point, thought it was interesting, and refused to even look into how to invest because there wasnt an obvious exchange platform and I didnt understand what I was spending my money on.
It was worth less than $0.10/coin around this time

A bit later, I read that some pizzas were purchased with bitcoin, which showed it is a currency. Looking back, 10,000 bitcoin was given for 2 pizzas. WT17?!?! Whoever that BTC went to better have kept it! Those are the most expensive pizzas in history using even today's value.
It was worth less than $1.00/coin around this time

Around 2016, we met with our financial advisor and I joked that we should move everything to BTC. I think I joked a couple more times in the meeting about diverting some future allocation to BTC. Our financial advisor made it clear that crypto is not something he invests in. I was really joking so I didnt care and had half hoped my joking around would spur him into explaining WT17 it even was from his perspective since after years of seeing it, the value still made no sense to me.
I think it had broken thru and reached $1000/coin around this time

Early Pandemic and it seems most are flush with cash- doing home renos, yard transformations, buying ****, and investing. That fall, BTC shot up exponentially and tripled in value in just a couple months.
It was worth nearly $30,000/coin at the end of 2020.

January '21 brought the whole GameStop short squeeze into reality and BTC surged by doubling in price from $30k to over $60k in a couple months. Why?...why not, I guess.
Then a few months later it crashed back down to $30k.
Then a few months later it shot back up to $65k.
Then over the last year it crashed back down to where we are now- $16,650.

- DCD, apologies for the long post, but I tried to use small words this time so give me half credit.
- This should show anyone who still thinks BTC is a currency, that it is definitely not a currency. It isnt even an investment based on sound investing theory- its just a gamble.
- This frustrates me that I never just said 17it and bought a few coins back in 2016 which was well past the early adoption phase, BTC was being written about with regularity, and there were platforms to buy/sell. $3000 spent and its worth $50,000 now?!?! Everyone can laugh at the dummies that got on this train during the meme stock craze and now have less value, but there are so many out there who also dipped a toe in the mid-teen years and have exponentially more value even though BTC has crashed over the last year.
- What a confusing thing to buy/sell/trade. There is just such little appeal because of its volatility, yet its volatility is what makes it so appealing.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I'm a bitcoin guy and I'm still here. While the recent sell off is unsettling I still think block chain tech in general can improve end to end validation in a number of industries. One thing crypto currency has suffered from is debasement, just like paper currencies. The sheer number of different coins out there now is just too much for the market to hold its value. But at the end of the day I think the research being put into the block chain will result in something positive for the global financial industry. The early adopters, who participated in the industry in good faith, were mostly rewarded, even though they were roundly derided. First time I ever looked at bitc it was 10 cents.... and even after the recent sell-off it currently sits at 16k plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: mstateglfr

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
May as well put your money in a mattress.

Bottled water is a better investment.
These should be seen strictly as insurance, not an investment. Although the term 'investment' is mostly a state of mind and as such its meaning varies greatly from person to person.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm a bitcoin guy and I'm still here. While the recent sell off is unsettling I still think block chain tech in general can improve end to end validation in a number of industries. One think crypto currency has suffered from is debasement, just like paper currencies. The sheer number of different coins out there now is just too much for the market to hold its value. But at the end of the day I think the research being put into the block chain will result in something positive for the global financial industry. The early adopters, who participated in the industry in good faith, were mostly rewarded, even though they were roundly derided. First time I ever looked at bitc it was 10 cents.... and even after the recent sell-off it currently sits at 16k plus.
I sincerely hope yours has done well for you and continues to do so.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
As it turns out, all the people who told me I just don’t understand it were wrong. Turns out I understood it pretty well.
If it were actually used as a legit everyday currency, it would have value. Unfortunately, it is used day in and out as a glorified arcade token that stood in the place of a currency that was only traded in the market and not actually used as money. Since it wasn’t used for the most part day in and out as an actual purchasing currency, it had no tether to real life value. So once **** started to go down, it’s value was seen as being absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
so, you sold all of your btc?
No, I still have all my crypto currency. It has gone so low that selling it doesn't make sense. May ascwell hold and see what happens.

FTR, I own a small fraction of 1 bitcoin. My modest crypto portfolio is highly diversified.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm a bitcoin guy and I'm still here. While the recent sell off is unsettling I still think block chain tech in general can improve end to end validation in a number of industries. One thing crypto currency has suffered from is debasement, just like paper currencies. The sheer number of different coins out there now is just too much for the market to hold its value. But at the end of the day I think the research being put into the block chain will result in something positive for the global financial industry. The early adopters, who participated in the industry in good faith, were mostly rewarded, even though they were roundly derided. First time I ever looked at bitc it was 10 cents.... and even after the recent sell-off it currently sits at 16k plus.
I have some money in block chain tech myself. I read a book back in 2016 and ultimately decided that’s how I would ‘participate’ in the crypto madness. I figured the block chain was here to stay - across all the different cryptos.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I just found it funny to see the comment 'still looks good long term'. Like...why?
- its a currency, not an investment.
- its a popular currency for NFTs...which has plummeted faster than crypto.

It could close out '22 at $500 or $4000. There is simply no actual educated reason to say one way or the other.
Things like inflation reports, recent mid-terms, the strength of the US dollar vs global currencies, and whatever the Fed has in store of us all are all impact drivers for how the price will be in 3 months and 3 years. How anyone can take all those unknowns in and say 'still looks good long term' is confusing. It doesnt look good or bad long term to me. Its a complete guess.

I am not claiming it will continue to drop. I am not claiming its bad to buy right now. I am saying its just a guess and to suggest the long term outlook is good means you either know something that nobody else knows, or worse, you mistake gambled hope for actual fundamentally sound investing.

For the record, I think its cool you are willing to discuss something like this. I think very few would be so willing and accepting. As you point out, its a small % of your investing and so I do see it as- why not try? Thats awesome and such calculated risk will hopefully be rewarded.
You used a lot of letters to say nothing at all.

One thing about bitcoin is that you know what you have and you know what it will be. What do you have more faith it - computer logic or crooked politicians that control the money supply? At what point is the national debt a problem? 50T? 100T? 1000T?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login