Who will be our next coach?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You expected Arnett to just stock 5* talent at every position between January and now?

Said it before, this was an auto loss as always. Talent gap between us and LSU is as big as its ever been. The only offensive system that could even kept this game in single digits with this roster was laid in the ground last December, unfortunately.

The only thing worth watching today regarding Arnett is whether or not we completely quit when down 3 or 4 TD’s. If we do then that’s not good. Otherwise, throw it in the trash and move on to next week. Then get ready for a repeat of today against Bama.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Deion might have come last year, but why come to State and play our schedule and recruit to Starkville. Recruiting to play in Starkville is challenging for anyone.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Haha way too soon for that. We about to get crushed in our next 3 to go to 2-3.
Will need major adjustments on both sides of ball.
Ain't gonna happen. 3 games with same Ole *hit. It is what it is. Arnett threw the baby out with the bathwater when he fired our Offensive coaches. I trusted him. Shame on me.

Reactions: blitz2Win

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
You expected Arnett to just stock 5* talent at every position between January and now?

Said it before, this was an auto loss as always. Talent gap between us and LSU is as big as its ever been. The only offensive system that could even kept this game in single digits with this roster was laid in the ground last December, unfortunately.

The only thing worth watching today regarding Arnett is whether or not we completely quit when down 3 or 4 TD’s. If we do then that’s not good. Otherwise, throw it in the trash and move on to next week. Then get ready for a repeat of today against Bama.
Excited Lets Go GIF

Post of the day!

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
Few SEC schools would hire a new football coach without a search of some type. Certainly, there was no need to panic and make a knee jerk reaction hire.

Next time, take your time and get it right.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Football staff remains intact after this year. With regard to baseball after the spring season, not so much.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I’m still questioning whether Arnett is retained if he goes 0-8 in the sec. I think fan apathy and anger would be too much for the admin to do that.

Reactions: Anon1693403557

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

He's been here 4 years. Look at that defense. He can't recruit ****.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
It will never happen with the cigar boys Who brought in Brad Peterson but I’d like to see a hire like Chris Klieman , either that or a offensive minded OC like Arbuckle. that WSU offense is a beast.
I love Arbuckle. He's a great OC. But he's 28.

We can't afford to hire a first time head coach after this current disaster finally ends.

Coaches to call that we can get (In no particular order):

Tier 1:

Mike Elko - has made Duke relevant, hired Johns, might could bring him with or at least knows how to hire the right OC
Jake Dickert - has WSU rolling, defensive guy who realized he didn't need to blow up the AR and hired a young study OC in Arbuckle.
Jamey Chadwell - built up CC, has experience in our area, known as a dynamic offensive mind.
Lance Liepold - has made Kansas relevant.
Willie Fritz - built Tulane back up and consistently wins. Has shown willingness to change OC's quickly if it's not working out.

Each of these have their faults and questions, but they all bring something to the table.

Tier 2 (less proven guys or retreads):

Gus Malzahn
Tyson Helton
Clay Helton
Charles Huff (you could convince me he belongs in Tier 1)
Urban Meyer (there's no way I'd ever imagine he'd even consider this job, but I'd have to at least kick the tires.

Tier 3 (experienced OC's, but minimal or no HC experience):

Jeff Lebby
Ryan Grubb
Sean Lewis

Tier 4 (better than what we have, but no):

Dan Mullen

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t get the love for Gus? Although I have seen that sort of coach fired from a major school (for not winning) and have success at a lower level, I have not seen many move somewhat latterly and last for long. Even Nutt wasn’t fired specifically for losing.

Gus was fired at Auburn FOR losing in the same league. The dude had a huge recruiting advantage and huge financial resources. Why do we think he would be so much better here?

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t get the love for Gus? Although I have seen that sort of coach fired from a major school (for not winning) and have success at a lower level, I have not seen many move somewhat latterly and last for long. Even Nutt wasn’t fired specifically for losing.

Gus was fired at Auburn FOR losing in the same league. The dude had a huge recruiting advantage and huge financial resources. Why do we think he would be so much better here?
Was he fired for losing or fired for not being at Alabama’s level? His last four seasons at Auburn were 10-2, 8-4, 9-3, and 6-4 (covid). Beat Alabama twice in that span. That covid year would’ve likely been a 9-3 year. Auburn’s toxic boosters strangled the recruiting budget to force the change.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

@Clay Lyle nailed it. The boosters got so involved in recrootin and they brought in players that didn't fit his system. To his credit, he used those players and still did well.

That said, Gus allowed it. He could have manned up and took a Saban approach, but he didn't. So that's on him.

It was just a dysfunctional situation. But that 2013 team, which was a Malzahn offense to a T, was a thing of beauty. And it would fit perfectly for the players we recruit.

And the last thing - he's like 57. A lot of coaches take their last gig at that age, and it's their best years of coaching. We won't have to worry about him job hopping.

Reactions: Will Rogers.sixpack

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I love Arbuckle. He's a great OC. But he's 28.

We can't afford to hire a first time head coach after this current disaster finally ends.

Coaches to call that we can get (In no particular order):

Tier 1:

Mike Elko - has made Duke relevant, hired Johns, might could bring him with or at least knows how to hire the right OC
Jake Dickert - has WSU rolling, defensive guy who realized he didn't need to blow up the AR and hired a young study OC in Arbuckle.
Jamey Chadwell - built up CC, has experience in our area, known as a dynamic offensive mind.
Lance Liepold - has made Kansas relevant.
Willie Fritz - built Tulane back up and consistently wins. Has shown willingness to change OC's quickly if it's not working out.

Each of these have their faults and questions, but they all bring something to the table.

Tier 2 (less proven guys or retreads):

Gus Malzahn
Tyson Helton
Clay Helton
Charles Huff (you could convince me he belongs in Tier 1)
Urban Meyer (there's no way I'd ever imagine he'd even consider this job, but I'd have to at least kick the tires.

Tier 3 (experienced OC's, but minimal or no HC experience):

Jeff Lebby
Ryan Grubb
Sean Lewis

Tier 4 (better than what we have, but no):

Dan Mullen
Lance Liepold would be at the very top of my list.
Mike Elko would be second.

DawgSZN12

Feb 3, 2022
Give me Leipold or Huff. Michigan State would be stupid to not pour everything into Elko. He seems to really fit them. Assuming he'd take that job, I'm ignoring him. He'd be towards the top if they didn't snag him. But Leipold has won literally every single place he's been. Hire someone who just wins. At every place they've been. Leipold is that. It's what KSU did with Klieman and they're reaping the rewards. I don't love the offensive split his teams have had since back in '15 at Buffalo. He's had the same OC at Wisconsin-Whitewater, Buffalo, and now KU. So his offense wouldn't change from what it's been for almost a decade. He's been around 60-62% run and 38-40% pass over his career with his OC (had a few years that were closer to 55/45). But what he's done with Jalon Daniels and Kansas' offense has been fun to watch and they're winning at a place that has been **** for years. And again, say it with me. He. Just. Wins. Won 74% of his career games as a HC.

Huff would be great too. Knows the lay of the land here. Can recruit like crazy. Likes the open spread offenses which would be great here. Perfect blend of swag & professionalism that thrives in today's CFB. Would be able to build a very good staff with his time and connections from PSU/Bama. Knocked off several P5 teams at Marshall with less talent.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Deion might have come last year, but why come to State and play our schedule and recruit to Starkville. Recruiting to play in Starkville is challenging for anyone.
I like Deion but he's not going to outcoach a bunch of people and is gonna need serious NIL money to help him win. He's not going anywhere that can't support a big payroll.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login