Who will be the next good MSU player that posters on here just 17ing destroy?

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Calling it right now, Shapen

He’s going to get roasted as the losses pile up

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
First it was Will Rogers, now it’s Tolu Smith. Who’s next?
Nitpicking but not sure those are really comparable. Seems like a random poster here or there complaining about tolu. Complaints about will were much more consistent. Not sure who his recent basketball comparison would be, but an older one would be “Randy” stewart. Until his senior year, he was more or less criticized for what he was not rather than appreciated for what he was. And fans didn’t get reasonable his senior year; he just improved on his weaknesses that much.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Great topic, maybe we can add, how many prospects have not signed with us or players transferred due to the trashing of players that go on on our main two boards? Players, families and friends read these boards. Ole Miss does not trash their players/recruits nearly to the extent we do.

We wonder why our own players don't claim us during intros, then proceed to trash an All SEC basketball player. Pure lunacy.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Tolu is actually good too. They don’t name you first team All-SEC unless you’re good.
Preseason accolades don’t mean s hit.

He was better last season. Injuries and lack of marbles will keep him out of the NBA.

Tolu has been soft.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We aren’t very good in any sport right now. People are going to b itch. The trusters will b itch about people b itching. The cycle will continue until we are actually good in something.
No, the cycle will continue well beyond us being good at something. You have a short memory.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

He was better last season. Injuries and lack of marbles will keep him out of the NBA.

Tolu has been soft.

If we can just rip all our players who never matter in the NBA, then we can just rip all of our players to shreds.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We aren’t very good in any sport right now. People are going to b itch. The trusters will b itch about people b itching. The cycle will continue until we are actually good in something.
The last year and a half have been especially hard for fans of Mississippi State men's sports. You have to go back to the 1980s when everything went to sh*t at the same time. And not the good 1980s when baseball was good. The years like, 1982, 1987 and 1988 (we did make a regional in 1988, but had to win on the last day of the season to get the 6th and last spot in the SEC tournament before winning it).

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"Who will be the next "good" MSU player that posters on here just 17in destroy"

The key word here is "good". Most any player signed to a scholarship on an SEC team should be better than "good" when they sign. It's the ones that remain only "good" or mediocre or even regress that should and do get roasted. You hear all the time that teams make their biggest improvement between weeks 1 and 2 of a season. If players don't progress or improve every game and certainly from year to year they need to get roasted or stay on the sidelines or dugout and pick up everybody's empty Gatorade cups and wear a cap and carry a clipboard. Simply maintaining status quo doesn't cut it

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Interesting to me thst he made first team. I could see him in second team purely due to lack of decent league post players. Apparently that was an incredible lack of decent post players. Just kidding.... sorta...

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Will Rogers was good?
I put him in the same category as Fitz - with the right scheme, going against the right defense he was pretty good. Both put up gawdy numbers at time and both had significant flaws.

As an aside, if you could combine the strengths of Rogers (accuracy, quick decision making) and Fitz (size, arm strength, mobility, top speed), you basically have Josh Allen.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
These same posters hated Fitz and Q. They have been brutal to Tolu lately--But the Basketball World looks at Tolu differently. he gets blasted and he double doubles. Most don't understand -when teams scheme against Us it starts with how do they stop Tolu. Our team has a hard time getting Tolu the ball where he can score. The Refs sometime call cheap fouls on Him all the while he is getting mugged in the post. But according to some Dog fans he is lazy and has no skills. Thank you Tolu for coming back and battling through many injuries.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I put him in the same category as Fitz - with the right scheme, going against the right defense he was pretty good. Both put up gawdy numbers at time and both had significant flaws.

As an aside, if you could combine the strengths of Rogers (accuracy, quick decision making) and Fitz (size, arm strength, mobility, top speed), you basically have Josh Allen.
Name all the first and second team All SEC teams he made. He wasn't worth squat. Wasn't even one of the best Leach QBs. Anybody that can stand in the pocket a little and throw five yard dump offs could do what he did.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008

Tolu has been soft.
What about post season? Because he was just named all sec after the season

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Tolu just messed up and sheared his fro. Honestly, he's played at less than 100% all season and he was still first team All SEC.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
The flaw in this argument is that Hubbard is actually 17’n good. Not “supposed” to be good. Anyone with a set of eyes can see that.
Correct, but there are already a handful on here tearing him down saying he shoots too much, can't play defense, can't create shots for others, etc. Fools!

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It is sad. I remember the days when we used to pick out opponent players to make disparaging comments. I guess with Americans hating our own country it is just a natural progression to look at your favorite team and figure out where to focus your hatred.

Personally, I'm proud of Tolu and Will for coming to State and playing their hearts out. Any player that comes here and starts is deemed the best available player by the coaching staff. If they aren't productive then it is the coaches fault for signing them and not putting them in a position to be successful.

I hope we do a better job of supporting our players than tearing them down. Don't get me wrong though. I believe we can be critical of a player's performance after a game without the name calling and vitriol. The coaches have call in shows you can access if you want them to explain why Tolu's performance was less than expected in the USCe game.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hunter Hines has certainly thrown his hat in the ring.
I think he may be the guy.

It's generally the guys that never get better. Like Rogers and Tolu. They were decent, but never improved. Maybe some of it is injury, or maybe they are just tapped out.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I used to not bash players but now that they are being paid, I view it differently. If they need bashing for lazy play and they are being paid to play I will call them out on it. I don't care how freaking good or popular they are.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

You are selling Fitz short. Granted I'm not sure who would have given him a chance at QB is Dan hadn't found him, but I think pretty much any coach could have used Fitz in their offense except for Leach. He wasn't a good passer, but it's not like he was awful. He was plenty good his JR. year that he would have been able to keep teams honest with better WRs.

IT's not a knock on Will to say he's not in Fitz's league. Will was really good at some things and that made him good for Leach's system. I think if he had gotten to play for Leach after the system was really clicking he would have looked a lot better. Not having a Polk type WR (not even NFL, just really good college WR) his last year with Leach hurt him.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login