Why are people hating on Will Levis, but have said nothing about Anthony Richardson?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It's not so much hating Richardson as it is what do the NFL teams see in him to go that high and why didn't the college coaches know what to do?

I wouldn't hate myself if I somehow convinced a team to draft me fourth overall... **

Reactions: Dawgg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Levis was better than Richardson in my opinion. On the field anyway. Worst top 5 pick since Bama Boy. Colts GM gonna get fired.
I will never understand the desire for NFL GMs and coaches to hitch their careers to complete reaches at QBs in the draft. There are basically 3 ways for a GM to get fired:

1) Repeated incompetence over an extended period of time
2) Moral/ethical issues
3) Drafting a high 1st round QB that ends up being a bust

It’s weird because there are busts at OL, WR, and defense all the time, and no one bats an eye, but mess up at QB and all eyes are on you. It’s just a really high risk scenario when it seems like the more successful teams are typically the ones that are patient at QB while playing the cards they’re dealt in the draft in a more intelligent way

Reactions: HRMSU

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Any one remember Jamarcus Russell? He could throw it a long ways, too. Wonder how this one will work out.

Reactions: HRMSU

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Both are these are NFL "coach killers." All the intangibles and potential, but don't put it all together on a consistent basis. I think if you slowly development them and don't put too more on them too quickly, each has a chance to be a multi year starter, but could just as easily be a Ryan Leaf, Jarmarcus Russell or Dewayne Haskins (RIP).

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I watched a draft show on Richardson. They showed how often his receivers hung him out. It was crazy. Levis has arthritis in his foot. That's been a big hold up for him.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Levis was way over rating while playing. The ESPN and other sport idiot just went on and on and on about how good he was but for every 1 good play he made, he had 10 bad plays. Just look at the Ole Miss Game. He sucked and I got tired of hearing just how good he was when he wasn't. Watching his mom in the stands during the game, (they continuedly showed her) she needed to be slapped the way she acted. I would not be surprised if she went back to the hotel last night and kicked a hole in the wall.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Are you talking specifically about this board? I would argue that it's because we didn't face Anthony Richardson twice and beat his *** once and watch our offense lay an egg against him the second time. We saw enough of Levis to know he's not a first rounder. I haven't seen enough of Richardson to form an opinion, though 4 seems really high for either of them.

Reactions: FQDawg and patdog

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Part of the issue for me is where Richardson was drafted. I'm not sure why the Colts didn't trade down to get him. The teams drafting after them were not taking a qb.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Who cares about Levis? We really should be talking about his girlfriend...
Excited Lets Go GIF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I will never understand the desire for NFL GMs and coaches to hitch their careers to complete reaches at QBs in the draft. There are basically 3 ways for a GM to get fired:

1) Repeated incompetence over an extended period of time
2) Moral/ethical issues
3) Drafting a high 1st round QB that ends up being a bust

It’s weird because there are busts at OL, WR, and defense all the time, and no one bats an eye, but mess up at QB and all eyes are on you. It’s just a really high risk scenario when it seems like the more successful teams are typically the ones that are patient at QB while playing the cards they’re dealt in the draft in a more intelligent way

It really is crazy because you get so much praise for picking a decent QB even in the 3rd round.

I think the thought process is getting lucky on a QB, even if you reach, can turn your franchise around. Not sure that's really true if you are using high draft picks on QBs consistently b/c they don't have the talent around them to succeed. I think there is also a thought that you don't get fired for drafting Jameis Winston first but you do get fired for passing on Joe Burrow or Andrew Luck or whoever. I'm not sure that's right though. How many people passed on Aaron Rodgers when he was talked about being a high draft pick going into the draft?

Just looking at #1 overall QBs recently, you have Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Jamarcus Russel. That's basically 15 years of No. 1 QBs and probably 4 that have lived up to billing? Not sure if that's better or worse than other positions drafted at No. 1 but doesn't seem great.

Reactions: patdog

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
In looking at the 2nd round draft order, I'm not sure Levis gets drafted in the 2nd round. He doesn't seem to think he'll be drafted anytime soon because he has apparently left Kansas City and won't be in the green room today. I think Hendon Hooker gets drafted before him.

Reactions: josebrown

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I think it's a joke Levis and Richardson would even be considered 1st round QBs. But I guess if you need a QB this year, what do you do? Just wait and plan to grab one of the lower ranked guys? Hooker, the UCLA kid or Bennett?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think it's a joke Levis and Richardson would even be considered 1st round QBs. But I guess if you need a QB this year, what do you do? Just wait and plan to grab one of the lower ranked guys? Hooker, the UCLA kid or Bennett?
I think it's a joke that Bryce Young IS considered a 1st round QB.

Ya'll need to go listen to Bartoo's stats on this type of thing. Levis elevated Kentucky in 2021. He didn't in 2022, a lot of it due to injury. And while it can be said that Young elevated Bama, it's still Bama with elite talent everywhere, and people were saying the same things about Tua. And we see how that's turned out.

Levis is the only QB in this draft who has a real chance. I'll be rooting for him. He also happens to have the measurables. Dude was a warrior for them in the game against us, and he was hurt.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

Ya'll need to go listen to Bartoo's stats on this type of thing. Levis elevated Kentucky in 2021. He didn't in 2022, a lot of it due to injury. And while it can be said that Young elevated Bama, it's still Bama with elite talent everywhere, and people were saying the same things about Tua. And we see how that's turned out.

Levis is the only QB in this draft who has a real chance. I'll be rooting for him. He also happens to have the measurables. Dude was a warrior for them in the game against us, and he was hurt.

I don't have an issue with Levis being considered a late 1st or early 2nd round pick, I just thought him being taken in the Top 5 or 10 was a massive reach. It didn’t happen though and wherever he goes now is probably fine.

Richardson at 4 was a reach, but I understand why people are drooling over his skillset. If he ever figures it out as a passer, he can be a mega star. Unreal athlete. I just don’t see that kind of potential with Levis, and he has mediocre production to match it.

I disagree with you on Young, I think that guy is awesome. He was also playing hurt last year, and definitely didn’t have the same skill talent as previous Bama teams. So much of this is on the organization too, though. You have to actually put your QB of the future in a spot to succeed. For both Young and Stroud, it’s going to be an adjustment for sure, but they both ended up in divisions that are WIIIIIDE open. I mean the Jags look like they’re on the rise with Lawrence but they’re not great yet. The NFC South looks like a joke for next year, maybe the Saints with Derek Carr can be good. But both of those guys will be in divisions where they have a chance to succeed. It’s not like they’ll have to play Mahomes or Burrow twice a year like some teams do.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Posted this article in another thread yesterday but first round qb's rarely work out. So given this perspective only really one of the guys drafted in the first round last night have a remote chance of working out. I honestly think it will be Stroud even with his horrible cognitive score and he is heading to the Texans. Just the Devil's opinion and most likely wrong.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Posted this article in another thread yesterday but first round qb's rarely work out. So given this perspective only really one of the guys drafted in the first round last night have a remote chance of working out. I honestly think it will be Stroud even with his horrible cognitive score and he is heading to the Texans. Just the Devil's opinion and most likely wrong.

I forgot about a lot of these guys.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012

I wonder why you’ll be rooting for Levis but don’t like Richardson. Hmmmmm

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Time is going to show this was a very weak draft for QBs. The Ravens got the best skill player in Flowers.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
tbh the social media stunts of eating a banana with the peel on and putting mayo in his coffee actually opened the door a little more for ridicule.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I wonder why you’ll be rooting for Levis but don’t like Richardson. Hmmmmm
1) Because everybody is hating on him, and NOT hating on Richardson (so basically the opposite of what you're accusing me of), 2 similar guys that vaulted up the draft board based on measurables;
2) He was a warrior while injured, and was fun to watch, similar to Dak;
3) He elevated Kentucky, a non-blue blood, so that normally equates to NFL success, while Richardson did NOT elevate Florida, an actual blue-blood.

That's why I'm rooting for him. He's not getting the benefit of the doubt while Richardson is.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I would have taken Levis before Young. I just don’t have much faith in Bama QB’s and there isn’t much of a track record at his size. He seems like a great dude though.

There’s some talk that Levis’ toe / foot are bigger concerns than we initially thought.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Richardson wasn’t hyped to nearly the extent Levi’s was. But several of us posted that he was overrated too. The Colts are taking a huge risk, to put it mildly. I think Levi’s has a better chance to win a playoff game than Richardson does.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Richardson has the physical tools to be a NFL QB but he's way behind on football IQ. Mullen tried to tell the Gator fans that but they didn't want to hear it. I doubt Sunbelt Billy was able to up Richardson's football IQ much in one year of tutelage. Richardson only started 13 games in college.

Asked again Monday what is holding him back from anointing Richardson as the starter, Mullen finally decided to clarify.

“An easy [example]. … He drops back. He misses a protection check. Then misses the hot throw. Then misses the primary read. And then scrambles around and runs, and everyone thinks, ‘What a spectacular play.,'” said Mullen before shrugging.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Richardson has the physical tools to be a NFL QB but he's way behind on football IQ. Mullen tried to tell the Gator fans that but they didn't want to hear it. I doubt Sunbelt Billy was able to up Richardson's football IQ much in one year of tutelage. Richardson only started 13 games in college.

Asked again Monday what is holding him back from anointing Richardson as the starter, Mullen finally decided to clarify.

“An easy [example]. … He drops back. He misses a protection check. Then misses the hot throw. Then misses the primary read. And then scrambles around and runs, and everyone thinks, ‘What a spectacular play.,'” said Mullen before shrugging.
Sounds similar to the knocks on Manziel (which were right). One analyst said it best: "look at the number of times he didn't throw when he should have."

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Boom.

Then the running part, very few QBs successfully do in the NFL. Vick was the best under Jackson came along, and that's after the Ravens built the entire offense around him, same as the Eagles have done for Hurts.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login