Why do folks think we need a bunch of tight ends next year?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We don't. We have a passing QB. We are used to having 4 and 5 WRs on the field. I don't see how a TE can help us unless they are Travis Kelcy level fast (basically like another WR), which again, like a true dual threat QB, is a weapon in ANY offense.

In this new day and age of passing offense, if your QB is a real run-threat you can have a TE to take off that pressure. So if that's what we're transitioning towards, I can see the logic in bringing in a few young ones here and there. If you don't have a runner at QB, your odds are better having speed at WR, and having the QB distribute. Especially considering what our offense currently is personnel wise. No sense wasting what we've been building towards because of what we want to transition towards later on.

Just my opinion. I think people just have these 'terms' like Tight End in their head and they don't even know the reasoning for them. Do we want to add a FB too? Nothing wrong with a FB, but let's see a real reason for doing so, rather than ReAsOnS.

Reactions: BA Dog

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Did you watch App State play last season? I watched the UNC game and am currently watching the A&M game on YouTube and they use a tight end in the passing game a lot. They also have very few designed quarterback runs, so Will should be fine in this offense.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I feel like MS and the surrounding areas produce enough TE / HBack type players - we should always utilize it.

We can find +/- 6’2, 235 lbs athletes in our recruiting footprint rather easily.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I feel like MS and the surrounding areas produce enough TE / HBack type players - we should always utilize it.

We can find +/- 6’2, 235 lbs athletes in our recruiting footprint rather easily.
This is a fair point. And I'm all for transitioning to it. But I was more talking about picking up a ton of them from the portal for the 2023 season.

We have one on the roster - Antonio Harmon. Maybe take another younger one I guess. Then start taking more as we move forward.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Not based on history. Haven't been a bunch.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We don't. We have a passing QB. We are used to having 4 and 5 WRs on the field. I don't see how a TE can help us unless they are Travis Kelcy level fast (basically like another WR), which again, like a true dual threat QB, is a weapon in ANY offense.

In this new day and age of passing offense, if your QB is a real run-threat you can have a TE to take off that pressure. So if that's what we're transitioning towards, I can see the logic in bringing in a few young ones here and there. If you don't have a runner at QB, your odds are better having speed at WR, and having the QB distribute. Especially considering what our offense currently is personnel wise. No sense wasting what we've been building towards because of what we want to transition towards later on.

Just my opinion. I think people just have these 'terms' like Tight End in their head and they don't even know the reasoning for them. Do we want to add a FB too? Nothing wrong with a FB, but let's see a real reason for doing so, rather than ReAsOnS.
Is it just me or does Antonio Harmon just sound like a great tight end?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Size. We could use that size with the ball in space, with good hands, and for blocking.

We don't have that right now and we could use it. One of the very few things I did not agree with in the Air Raid.

Look at what they did for Georgia. In the NFL for KC, San Fran, Philly...

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Tighter's better'n loose.. But if we could find a good one, would love to see some TE action. They are a rare breed though and hard to find one with good hands and blocking ability.
That's what I'm talking about. Not just some guy over 6 foot 230 pounds to stand on the end of the line. I'm looking for somebody who is very athletic, good hands, game smart, and knows how to find an open space for his quarterback but can also take on a full size linebacker or defensive end to block.

Example

Kansas City Chiefs GIF by The Undroppables

If we can't find anybody, that's OK we just need to start looking for the future.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009

Still not really sure what the new offense will look like, but with the air raid, bigger WR's/TE's (whatever, you want to call them....pass catchers). were exactly what you needed to exploit the six yards between the LOS and the LB's. That offense depended on high % routes < 5 yds and YAC (contact is all but certain) and in the big boy games like bama and uga the Walley types (190 lbs my ***) can't deal with the contact, especially after that 1st good pop from Will Anderson. No sense in pretending like you're going to run a bunch deep routes when you don't really have the time to throw the deep route that offten in those games anyway. Get about five 250lb + kids, and dink and dunk all the way down the field. You may have to take really athletic OL's and take away their bbq a couple times a week and replace it w/ RB&R but its do-able. And then when you do need a jumbo package inside the three, your personnel is already on the field. You just need to a get alittle innovative.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
That's what I'm talking about. Not just some guy over 6 foot 230 pounds to stand on the end of the line. I'm looking for somebody who is very athletic, good hands, game smart, and knows how to find an open space for his quarterback but can also take on a full size linebacker or defensive end to block.

Example

Kansas City Chiefs GIF by The Undroppables

If we can't find anybody, that's OK we just need to start looking for the future.
A Great TE dominating a game is a thing of beauty. But A guy who can block okay at the TE position but not able to Catch and YAC is worthless as TiTT$ on a boar hog.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Still not really sure what the new offense will look like, but with the air raid, bigger WR's/TE's (whatever, you want to call them....pass catchers). were exactly what you needed to exploit the six yards between the LOS and the LB's. That offense depended on high % routes < 5 yds and YAC (contact is all but certain) and in the big boy games like bama and uga the Walley types (190 lbs my ***) can't deal with the contact, especially after that 1st good pop from Will Anderson. No sense in pretending like you're going to run a bunch deep routes when you don't really have the time to throw the deep route that offten in those games anyway. Get about five 250lb + kids, and dink and dunk all the way down the field. You may have to take really athletic OL's and take away their bbq a couple times a week and replace it w/ RB&R but its do-able. And then when you do need a jumbo package inside the three, your personnel is already on the field. You just need to a get alittle innovative.
I think we needed faster guys who can blow the doors off. That helps every offense.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Depends on how far back you look. We put 3 tight ends in the NFL over a period of about 8 years - Kendal Watkins, Reggie Kelly, and Donald Lee. I don't recall where Watkins was from, but Kelly and Lee were both from small towns less than an hour from Starkville.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think we needed faster guys who can blow the doors off. That helps every offense.
It would be great too but we don't have the NIL for those guys and they are a tougher target going deep to be effective. We might find them for one season before they end up at Ole Miss or Georgia. How are you going to keep them?

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
So, how big will the GoFundMe have to be to get a Donald Lee, Kendell Watkins or a Reggie Kelly???

Maybe we can sell some World's Finest bars in front of the Walmart in Madison.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Tight ends help a lot more in the blocking schemes and more so than a linemen because they are multi tool multi roll players who block snd pass. Most tight ends are monsters who can block and receive. Tight ends play a roll in the design of the offense and the scheme. Using a receiver on lineman in that roll without proper body type and coaching doesn't follow the scheme or design

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Mullen had two guys drafted at the spot. That’s not including Marcus Green and Farrod Green who I thought were serviceable.

OM has Knox & Engram in the last few years too. They were from TN and GA, but I feel like MSU can find those type of players. Especially since it’s a spot we’re projecting players. A lot of these guys are going to play QB or do-it-all guys in HS.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Hell, I want a set where we have 3 TEs on the field at that same time. I want 3 Brock Bowers out there, impossible to body up, always boxing out throws, and helping in the power running game.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We need them because it limits what you can do offensively when you don’t have them. It takes a lot of the guesswork for the defense away. The Leach Air Raid was the only offense in the nation that didn’t utilize TE’s, and that is now gone.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Do we have any scholarships for TEs? Targets? Maybe the fact that we have zero TEs on the team we would be attractive to both good portal guys and HS players, especially since we already pass a lot and probably will continue to do so

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Do we have any scholarships for TEs? Targets? Maybe the fact that we have zero TEs on the team we would be attractive to both good portal guys and HS players, especially since we already pass a lot and probably will continue to do so

I expect we will target a few in the May portal window. Also may look at converting a LB or bigger WR if its a possibility. There wasn’t a whole lot of time to do much in this most recent portal window with how everything fell on the coaching and offense change.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
cuz tight ends are better than loose a$$holes (at least in prison anyway).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login