Why does Bo Bounds keep saying Texas A&M hasn't "challenged"?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I hate them as much as anybody but I mean damn they were a theoretical playoff team in 2020, and got hosed due to politics. They lost to Alabama by the same margin as Ohio State (except aTm played them in Tuscaloosa). His quote was challenge for the BCS or the playoff.

Do I think Jimbo can maintain? I don't know. Will he fall off like he did at Florida State? Maybe. But what's up with the BS lies.

I think we all know too that they were the best team in the country in 2012, but just had some bad luck with a hurricane postponing a patsy game and had to play Florida first and lost by like 3 points. Else they make the BCS that year.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
The jimbo can’t coach narrative is ridiculous. FSU will never be on the level they were with him again

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Im convinced that Jimbo high-hatted Bounds at some event. Bounds can't let it go. He is obsessed with the guy.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Coaching as in inspires confidence in the money alumni and assistant coaches.

So when you say "coaching" I hear money and confidence

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
They were awful by FSU standards in 2017 but still went 6-6 which they’ve struggled to do since then. In 2016 he won the Orange Bowl which is something that program won’t see for awhile anytime soon

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think we all know too that they were the best team in the country in 2012, but just had some bad luck with a hurricane postponing a patsy game and had to play Florida first and lost by like 3 points. Else they make the BCS that year.

FSU lost to a ****** NC State team in 2012. They weren’t going into the BCS over Alabama even if they beat Florida.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I mean I’m not a bounds guy but they are a clear 2nd tier team since they’ve been in the SEC.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Was talking about aTm
Oh, I thought you were referencing where Jimbo was in 2012.

Texas A&M beat Alabama that year (in a game where almost every break ended up going A&M's way), but if they played Alabama 5 times that year, they would have lost 4 of them. You could make the argument that Notre Dame, Florida, Oregon, Kansas State, Alabama, and probably Stanford, Georgia, and LSU were all at least as good as the 2012 Texas A&M.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Oh, I thought you were referencing where Jimbo was in 2012.

Texas A&M beat Alabama that year (in a game where almost every break ended up going A&M's way), but if they played Alabama 5 times that year, they would have lost 4 of them. You could make the argument that Notre Dame, Florida, Oregon, Kansas State, Alabama, and probably Stanford, Georgia, and LSU were all at least as good as the 2012 Texas A&M.
Crazy talk, man. Breaking down that schedule, aTm again had their opening game cancelled due to the hurricane. So they played a defensive-heavy Muschamp Florida team first and lost by 3. You really think if they'd had a game to get going that Manziel would have lost to Florida that day? I don't.

The LSU game they lost? It happens. National title winning teams usually lose a game every year. And again, if they hadn't played La Tech the week before that and played them at the beginning when they were supposed to, and get an off week, who knows? Maybe they beat LSU.

Then they go beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. They they go and destroy a 10-2 Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl.

Maybe Georgia beats them in Atlanta, had they make it. I don't think so. Manziel was rolling at the end, they had a mammoth OL and plenty of weapons. One of the best offenses the game has ever seen. And they had a defense that year too.

It's unfortunate, what happened happened, but it all ends up with Alabama being the benefactor....yet AGAIN.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I mean I’m not a bounds guy but they are a clear 2nd tier team since they’ve been in the SEC.
Maybe, but the fact is they've "competed for the BCS/playoff" at least once (2020) and were very close with a capable team in 2012. So he's flat out wrong on this.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Ok Mrs. Sumlin, thanks for your insight. Is Kevin still enjoying coaching in the USFL?

ETA: It’s kind of weird how much you are carrying the torch for aTm on an MSU message board.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Crazy talk, man. Breaking down that schedule, aTm again had their opening game cancelled due to the hurricane. So they played a defensive-heavy Muschamp Florida team first and lost by 3. You really think if they'd had a game to get going that Manziel would have lost to Florida that day? I don't.

Another way to say that is "they had an extra week to prepare for Florida" and still lost.
Also, "breaking down that schedule", they played two FCS teams.

The LSU game they lost? It happens. National title winning teams usually lose a game every year. And again, if they hadn't played La Tech the week before that and played them at the beginning when they were supposed to, and get an off week, who knows? Maybe they beat LSU.

On one hand, you're saying not playing LaTech the week before is the reason they lost to Florida and on the other hand you're saying playing LaTech the week before is maybe the reason they lost to LSU.

Then they go beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. They they go and destroy a 10-2 Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl.

National title winning teams usually lose a game every year. You said it yourself. You can't apply that logic to A&M and not apply it to Alabama.

Maybe Georgia beats them in Atlanta, had they make it. I don't think so. Manziel was rolling at the end, they had a mammoth OL and plenty of weapons. One of the best offenses the game has ever seen. And they had a defense that year too.

I mean... anything's possible. Tough to gauge how much they were "rolling" after the Alabama game since their final opponents were Sam Houston State and a really bad Mizzou team.

It's unfortunate, what happened happened, but it all ends up with Alabama being the benefactor....yet AGAIN.

I feel like you're making a lot of excuses for a team supposedly "we all know" was the best team in the country in 2012. If they were really that much better than the field, they would have overcome those hurdles and won those games.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe, but the fact is they've "competed for the BCS/playoff" at least once (2020) and were very close with a capable team in 2012. So he's flat out wrong on this.

Their SEC West standing since joining:
2012 - 3 (6-2)
2013 - 4 (4-4)
2014 - 6 (3-5)
2015 - 5 (4-4)
2016 - 4 (4-4)
2017 - 5 (4-4)
2018 - 2 (5-3)
2019 - 4 (4-4)
2020 - 2 (8-1)
2021 - 5 (4-4)

That 2020 covid season has been the anomaly for that program since joining the SEC, not the norm. Those records are Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Kentucky numbers.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I may be missing the context of the statement. Hasn't challenged "how?"

In other words, have they not challeneged over the course of multiple years? Or have they just never challenged at all? (This is not to question your opinion but rather so I can better understand the vantage point of Bounds' statement)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login