Why haven’t we fired Howland?

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
The “team” is an absolute joke and has been for many years.

“Because the media will be mad at us”
“We can’t do any better”
“No coach will want to come here if we fire another coach”

Those are the usual excuses that our fans love to use for every situation.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
This game might be the one to do it. We lose tonight to this bad ole miss team and the fan base won’t buy back in

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
To be honest, I cared about basketball when Howland was hired. This is only the second game I’ve watched all year. As far as playing as a team, It appears to be worse than it’s ever been. Don’t care if Tolu is gone or not.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
I do think getting someone better would be hard. Basketball ranks 3rd here, the arena is old and dated and we have no fan support. We have tons of fans who are quick to tell anyone who will listen how much they hate basketball. All these things don’t exactly make us a desired spot for quality basketball coaches.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Yeah. Nobody is going to the Hump to watch this team. He had a chance to get the fans back on board and as usual passes it away. OM is smoking our ***. 41 with 4 minutes left. Re17ing Dickulous

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I do think getting someone better would be hard. Basketball ranks 3rd here, the arena is old and dated and we have no fan support. We have tons of fans who are quick to tell anyone who will listen how much they hate basketball. All these things don’t exactly make us a desired spot for quality basketball coaches.
Basketball should never rank 3rd in any P5 Athletic Department.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008

You’re basing it on the belief that Howland is good. He’s not. He runs a terrible, outdated system and doesn’t excite the fan base. It was just a terrible fit from the start

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020

Coleman Coliseum is a damn barn yet Alabama outrecruits us, has been ranked for several years and is coming off a Sweet 16.

We don’t get better because we hold on to fossils too long and our fan base convinces themselves that we can’t do any better so let’s just stagnate. It’s 17n ********.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Coleman Coliseum is a damn barn yet Alabama outrecruits us, has been ranked for several years and is coming off a Sweet 16.

We don’t get better because we hold on to fossils too long and our fan base convinces themselves that we can’t do any better so let’s just stagnate. It’s 17n ********.

Based on the attendance at games, I would say the fan base has made up its mind on Howland and is ready to move on

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
So Howland is outperforming Stansbury? Is that how that reads?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Ten years after firing Stansbury, we’re still trying to get back to and exceed the level he had us playing at.

Last edited:

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
I read the chart as saying we should’ve kept Ray. Upward trajectory the whole time…right? Ha.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Which is worse and inconsistent: Our basketball offense or our football offense?

Too close to call for me.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Ten years after firing Stansbury, we’re still trying to get back to and exceed the level he had us playing at.

We have been at or above Late Stansbury level for most of Howland's tenure. We haven't gotten to Early Stansbury level.

(Also, Stansbury's first 3 years aren't on the chart because the KP ratings start in the 01-02 season).

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
And Stansbury was trying to get back to Richard Williams' level

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Stansbury was above Williams levels except for 1995/1996. And he still bears a lot of responsibility for that as the top assistant coach and recruiter.

ETA: forgot about the Sweet 16 year in 1995.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
There's a lot you're forgetting about Richard Williams tenure at MSU. He built our program from nothing, but outside the two great years, he had a total of 1 NIT win and 0 NCAA wins in 10 years.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Stans best years were because of Kirby. When he left, it was all downhill. Stans problems was no discipline. That was Williams then Kirby.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
There's a lot you're forgetting about Richard Williams tenure at MSU. He built our program from nothing, but outside the two great years, he had a total of 1 NIT win and 0 NCAA wins in 10 years.

Which is the greater sin -- To build from nothing with two great years? Or to have squandered opportunities with talented teams?

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010

You omit that, in 1991, Richard won our first overall SEC championship since 1963! How did you overlook that???

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I didn’t overlook it. But Stansbury also won an SEC championship, in 2004. I said the only years Stansbury wasn’t at the same level or above the level of Williams was in 1995/96 because of the NCAA tournament success.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
You omit that, in 1991, Richard won our first overall SEC championship since 1963! How did you overlook that???

These same people vote. This is what’s wrong with our country and why history repeats itself.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
Maybe it's defeatest, but I think a new coach could only make this worse.

All things considred, Howland recruits pretty well, and has a good history as a coach. There's just something broken about our program that supersedes coaching. I can't explain it, either. If we fire howland, we're 5x as likely to end up with another Rick Ray than anything approaching imiprovement.

I'll still watch the games either way, but my passion for State basketball is deceased.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
All things considred, Howland recruits pretty well, and has a good history as a coach. There's just something broken about our program that supersedes coaching. I can't explain it, either. If we fire howland, we're 5x as likely to end up with another Rick Ray than anything approaching imiprovement.

I'll still watch the games either way, but my passion for State basketball is deceased.

Yeah, it’s over, but frankly so is college basketball. Terrible product these days.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This isn't Howland's fault, there is a more systemic problem that has been created by more than one thing over time, which would include but not be limited to....

- The MBK program has gone through periods of extended rebuilding ('80-'87 and '12 - '16)
- When Williams' got it to it's pinnacle, ideally, he could have continued coaching into to 2000s to build are more concrete legacy, but did not (for whatever the reason)
- Stansbury did an admirable job of having good teams, but failed to experience post-season success (Sweet 16s, Elite 8's)
- Rather than look at a new colisuem (which is now almost 50 years old), we enigmatically build a practice facility right to the aging Hump
- Wrapped up in all of this, is the revolving door of ADs since 2003 whose main focus is the woes of football and the enhcanements to baseball and football facilities

MBK has not punched through to the next level for a variety of reasons and, when the opportunities have arisen, they have been missed

As a result, this program is essentially "second citizen" in MSU athletics. Maybe this also contributed to why we lost Schafer

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008

Man the Rick Ray hire really broke a lot of people’s brains. That hire was one of the worst hires in division 1 athletics in the last 20 years. The odds of hiring someone like that again are ridiculously small. He wasn’t qualified, never been a head coach anywhere, wasn’t known in the coaching circles even among assistants, was actually out of coaching a few years prior, didn’t have a particular skill or trait he was known for and wasn’t even a good former player. We could go out and hire a juco head coach tomorrow and he’d do better than Rick Ray.

But yet we have state fans who are so scared to make a move out of fear of Rick Ray. Fear has always been the chief motivator among State folks I guess.

Once again, hire the right guy, who has a plan, and the fans will buy in again.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Man the Rick Ray hire really broke a lot of people’s brains. That hire was one of the worst hires in division 1 athletics in the last 20 years. The odds of hiring someone like that again are ridiculously small. He wasn’t qualified, never been a head coach anywhere, wasn’t known in the coaching circles even among assistants, was actually out of coaching a few years prior, didn’t have a particular skill or trait he was known for and wasn’t even a good former player. We could go out and hire a juco head coach tomorrow and he’d do better than Rick Ray.

But yet we have state fans who are so scared to make a move out of fear of Rick Ray. Fear has always been the chief motivator among State folks I guess.

Once again, hire the right guy, who has a plan, and the fans will buy in again.

Exactly! It is absolutely ridiculous that we have these fans that would rather just hold on to a coach that is NOT doing their job out of fear that we couldn’t do any better.

Let’s use Bama as an example. They ran off their somewhat successful Stans-like coach Gottfried and hired the hot name at the time in Anthony Grant. Did ok, one NCAA tourney so they fired him and made a weird hire but a name nonetheless in a former NBA player and head coach in Avery Johnson. He had average success including one tourney appearance so they let his *** go and once again went the hot name route in Nate Oats and he had them earn an SEC title and in the Sweet 16 in year 2.

That’s 3 coaches and not once did the “media” get mad at them for firing a coach for underachieving. They realized it wasn’t working and had the balls to make a decision and try something else.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
MSU shouldn’t give a rats @ss at what any media person thinks. Most media people aren’t qualified to teach middle school English and their profession is less respected than strippers on a pole.

patdog

May 28, 2007
As great as that was, it does come with an asterisk. We tied LSU for 2nd best record in the league. Kentucky (who else) had the best record but was ineligible for the title. And we followed that night up by losing our 1st game in the SEC tournament and losing to an 11-seed in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login