Why is I-20 through Jackson so bad?

CarolinaDawg

Oct 2, 2022
I live in another state, so I don't think I've driven through Jackson since the 1990's. From memory, it was always a giant construction zone. Anyway, I was driving North Carolina to Longview, TX for work, and wow, I-20 through Jackson was quite memorable. Jackson to Vicksburg on I-20 is not great, but the highway through Jackson is just 3rd world bad. It seems like the road bed was not properly constructed. I was just wondering why, or if there is any background story? I-20 through Monroe and Shreveport is also not good.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
That bridge you went over at the 55/20 merge is brand new and they haven't finished the repaving yet. It's awful, yes. Well, I take that back if you were going East to West you did not go over the new bridge, but they have been working on that area for years. Worst part of 20 IMO is Bossier City.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Make the drive regularly from Fort Worth since my 80 yr old Mom is still kicking in Jacktown. Lived in Jacktown for over 10 years back in the day. 20 sucks *** in Jacktown. That curve near Lakeland Dr is a MF. Then when you get to the junction for 55, (Daniel Lake Area?) the suckage gets bad too. I must say though, I don't mind the drive from Vicksburgh until I start getting into Jacktown City Limits.

Reactions: CarolinaDawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I live in another state, so I don't think I've driven through Jackson since the 1990's. From memory, it was always a giant construction zone. Anyway, I was driving North Carolina to Longview, TX for work, and wow, I-20 through Jackson was quite memorable. Jackson to Vicksburg on I-20 is not great, but the highway through Jackson is just 3rd world bad. It seems like the road bed was not properly constructed. I was just wondering why, or if there is any background story? I-20 through Monroe and Shreveport is also not good.

Because global warm

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Another contributing factor: The gas tax rate hadn’t increased since it was last set when I was an undergrad at State some 35 years ago.

I’m shocked at the ability of MDOT to make do since then. They’ve done a great job of prioritizing.

With that said, I’m wondering how much money the Mississippi lottery has generated for MDOT since November 2019.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login