Why Our Opponent Sucks: Southeastern Louisiana

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Its finally game week! Its been a few years since we've had "Why Our Opponent Sucks" but I've got more time lately and thought I'd give it a shot. Here's the first edition at pissing off our friends from Hammond.

1. Hammond, Louisiana is one of the worst places in the country.

Hammond has one of the highest crime rates of any city of any size in America. According to FBI statistics, you have a 1 in 13 chance of being a victim of a violent or property crime in Hammond. Jackson is 1 in 29. Catvet probably shouldn't visit Hammond.

2. SLU is one of the fastest growing universities in the country.

True story. Founded as Hammond Junior College, it became a university in 1970. Today, its the third largest university in Louisiana behind LSU and UL-Lafayette. What fueled this growth? They still act like a junior college with admission standards. The median ACT score for an SLU student is below 22 and the acceptance rate is 90.1%. The school's six year graduation rate is 38.1%.

3. They are the defending Southland Conference Champions, but suck against FBS teams

SLU has been a perennial FCS Top 25 team and playoff team for the past four seasons. But they are 0-4 against FBS teams. And not good FBS teams. They gave up 40 points too a 4-8 Ole Miss team in 2019. They gave up 45 to a 3-9 Louisiana Tech team in 2021. Last year they opened the season with Louisiana-Lafayette and lost 24-7 to a 6-7 squad. They also played Florida Atlantic (5-7) and lost 42-9. The Lions have a nice little FCS playoff team, but they can't play with the big boys.

Bonus: They play in a high school stadium. No a real high school stadium, not like Ole Miss.

Strawberry Stadium holds 7,408 and SLU shares it with two high school teams - Hammond High and St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic. Since 2012, they have had artificial turf - but it is turf that the Saints used in the Superdrome and it was donated.

Last edited:

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
ill say that I stopped in Hammond once and ate at a place called B&J Seafood. It’s like a seafood market and restaurant all in one. It was really good.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Its finally game week! Its been a few years since we've had "Why Our Opponent Sucks" but I've got more time lately and thought I'd give it a shot. Here's the first edition at pissing off our friends from Hammond.

1. Hammond, Louisiana is one of the worst places in the country.

Hammond has one of the highest crime rates of any city of any size in America. According to FBI statistics, you have a 1 in 13 chance of being a victim of a violent or property crime in Hammond. Jackson is 1 in 29. Catvet probably shouldn't visit Hammond.

2. SLU is one of the fastest growing universities in the country.

True story. Founded as Hammond Junior College, it became a university in 1970. Today, its the third largest university in Louisiana behind LSU and UL-Lafayette. What fueled this growth? They still act like a junior college with admission standards. The median ACT score for an SLU student is below 22 and the acceptance rate is 90.1%. The school's six year graduation rate is 38.1%.

3. They are the defending Southland Conference Champions, but suck against FBS teams

SLU has been a perennial FCS Top 25 team and playoff team for the past four seasons. But they are 0-4 against FBS teams. And not good FBS teams. They gave up 40 points too a 4-8 Ole Miss team in 2019. They gave up 45 to a 3-9 Louisiana Tech team in 2021. Last year they opened the season with Louisiana-Lafayette and lost 24-7 to a 6-7 squad. They also played Florida Atlantic (5-7) and lost 42-9. The Lions have a nice little FCS playoff team, but they can't play with the big boys.

Bonus: They play in a high school stadium. No a real high school stadium, not like Ole Miss.

Strawberry Stadium holds 7,408 and SLU shares it with two high school teams - Hammond High and St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic. Since 2012, they have had artificial turf - but it is turf that the Saints used in the Superdrome and it was donated.

Have been to Strawberry Field a couple times in 90s when my high school played there.

Main reason why they suck: even though they are a large university you won’t find any alums that actually claim them. Everyone gets an honorary LSU sidewalk alum degree.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Have been to Strawberry Field a couple times in 90s when my high school played there.

Main reason why they suck: even though they are a large university you won’t find any alums that actually claim them. Everyone gets an honorary LSU sidewalk alum degree.
This is true.

Hammond is an okay place. SELU is a very juco feeling college. Most of their grads I've met I've not been impressed with at all and all of them are big LSU fans. None cheer for SELU.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

was21

May 29, 2007

That could be said for every school in louisiana other than Tulane

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I've met and worked with a number of USM grads who are plenty impressive.

And I know one SLU grad who freely admits he needed SLU to eventually get a degree after years of 17'n off. But he's very successful now.

He loves him some LSU.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
On our way back from a disastrous day trip to New Orleans with the kids to go to the aquarium, where we nearly got waterlogged in a flash flood in 2016, we were starving after escaping and at the first Hammond exit it said Cracker Barrel on the food sign for that exit so we took it, after which we had to drive all the way through the middle of Hammond and to the other side of town and finally found the Cracker Barrel right next to a completely different exit we could have just driven straight to instead.

Screw you Hammond.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I've met and worked with a number of USM grads who are plenty impressive.

And I know one SLU grad who freely admits he needed SLU to eventually get a degree after years of 17'n off. But he's very successful now.

He loves him some LSU.
I don’t dislike any USM fans, but at least 7 of them are LSU fans.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They suck because there are only two things that comes out of South Louisianna, and they are I-10 and 1-55. Also, there is another good thing that comes out of Louisianna and that is I-20 but that's up North.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Nothing special about hammond at all, but I've spent more time around there than I care to admit. Have had to work in the area several times for several days at a time. They've got a couple of great restaurants (Cate Street - awesome seafood/sushi, Don's Seafood, and Brady's).

Other than that? Booooo

patdog

May 28, 2007
They suck because there are only two things that comes out of South Louisianna, and they are I-10 and 1-55. Also, there is another good thing that comes out of Louisianna and that is I-20 but that's up North.
And I-59.

Reactions: GloryDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login