Why

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The only people that are feeling slighted are State fans and Cox and Slay as well as most other former State players will likely never cross paths in life with the majority of people that feel slighted.

I feel slighted because, as the OP pointed out... the other 9 players DID mention their school. Why would any other fans feel slighted?

I don't think others on the board who pretend to be too-cool-to-care know much about marketing. As a matter of fact, I don't think people in our own marketing department know much about marketing.

Things like that do matter in the big scheme of things.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I feel slighted because, as the OP pointed out... the other 9 players DID mention their school. Why would any other fans feel slighted?

I don't think others on the board who pretend to be too-cool-to-care know much about marketing. As a matter of fact, I don't think people in our own marketing department know much about marketing.

So your problem isn’t with them and the fact that they didn’t say Mississippi State, it’s the fact that Mississippi State’s marketing team isn’t doing whatever it takes to get them to say Mississippi State?

The people that care about Fletcher Cox or Darius Slay as role models for their potential future career know where they went to school but more importantly likely know who their coaches were. Guess what, those people aren’t coaching at Mississippi State anymore and Mississippi State University didn’t make them who they are as players. It was coaches and competition and their work ethic that made them who they are. Every bit of that has changed.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Does Dak say “Mississippi State”? I remember for a while he was saying “Haughton High School.”

The bigger question beyond what they say during game introductions is whether or not they’re actively participating in NIL (Bulldog Initiative). If they’re not, that’s a HUGE Miss on our part. Dak, Cox, Slay, Jones, Simmons, Gay, etc have to be some of the richest alumni/former students that we have and they came up through athletics. If they’re not actively supporting NIL, that’s an issue….
This is a good example of why saying your high school isn’t a big deal.

If dak says haughton occasionally, do you really think he doesn’t love MSU?

He’s been back on campus and visible a ton.

Do they give to NIL? I don’t know and we should be targeting them but that has nothing to do with him saying Haughton.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yea it’s all me. I just went to school here, I still wear my gear, just don’t make millions. We just need the best in the business to promote our school, and curious why some just don’t care enough to do so.
Most of they guys “who didn’t say our name sometimes” are here a lot and repping msu a lot.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Let me be clear here.

my stance isn’t the same as ole blue Kentucky lover.

I care what dak, fletcher, etc do with their money and supporting msu. I JUST DONT THINK SAYING THEIR HIGH SCHOOL HAS MUCH TO DO WITH ANY OF THAT.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Scott Stricklin knew a lot about marketing and was great at it but we all hate him bc “loafers”.

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
They record these for use through the current season. Shout out to Dak Prescott, Elgton Jenkins, Chris Jones, the others used their high school.
The videos are blocked for NFL use only

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
So your problem isn’t with them and the fact that they didn’t say Mississippi State, it’s the fact that Mississippi State’s marketing team isn’t doing whatever it takes to get them to say Mississippi State?

The people that care about Fletcher Cox or Darius Slay as role models for their potential future career know where they went to school but more importantly likely know who their coaches were. Guess what, those people aren’t coaching at Mississippi State anymore and Mississippi State University didn’t make them who they are as players. It was coaches and competition and their work ethic that made them who they are. Every bit of that has changed.
You think 12 year olds these days know where Fletcher Cox went to school? The coaches at THE Ohio State University are not the same as they've always been either. I'm not sure what you're arguing, but there is no denying that their former players embrace that brand and say that phrase almost every time. Several of our former players seem to have embraced saying their high school or hometown, and I'm not sure why. I know that doesn't help Mississippi State. Whether it hurts or not is up for debate - I gave you a personal example in which I know it did hurt our exposure for one specific kid. I guess you can take the side that it 'never' hurts us if you want, but I'm not sure how you could prove that. Most people would agree with the simple premise that the more your school gets mentioned in a positive light (such as in an NFL player introduction) the better...

Nothing of what you are saying answers the original question: why was it only our two guys? I mean, it's a fair question. Is your argument that it's a coincidence that 9 out of 11 said their college and the two former State players didn't? Maybe it was, but I would love to know the answer why. That's all the OP was asking. If it's some internal issue or broken relationship, we should fix it. That's why I included our marketing department and not one certain coaching staff. Maybe it's as simple as calling Slay or Cox or Jones or whoever, or their agent, and say "hey man, could you help us out here? We're trying to recruit high school players and they notice that ****".

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This is a good example of why saying your high school isn’t a big deal.

If dak says haughton occasionally, do you really think he doesn’t love MSU?

He’s been back on campus and visible a ton.

Do they give to NIL? I don’t know and we should be targeting them but that has nothing to do with him saying Haughton.

If you owned a restaurant in town, would it better for your restaurant if no one ever talked about it, or if highly visible and influential people in your community mentioned it in a positive light?

It's a very simple equation to me.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
You think 12 year olds these days know where Fletcher Cox went to school? The coaches at THE Ohio State University are not the same as they've always been either. I'm not sure what you're arguing, but there is no denying that their former players embrace that brand and say that phrase almost every time. Several of our former players seem to have embraced saying their high school or hometown, and I'm not sure why. I know that doesn't help Mississippi State. Whether it hurts or not is up for debate - I gave you a personal example in which I know it did hurt our exposure for one specific kid. I guess you can take the side that it 'never' hurts us if you want, but I'm not sure how you could prove that. Most people would agree with the simple premise that the more your school gets mentioned in a positive light (such as in an NFL player introduction) the better...

Nothing of what you are saying answers the original question: why was it only our two guys? I mean, it's a fair question. Is your argument that it's a coincidence that 9 out of 11 said their college and the two former State players didn't? Maybe it was, but I would love to know the answer why. That's all the OP was asking. If it's some internal issue or broken relationship, we should fix it. That's why I included our marketing department and not one certain coaching staff. Maybe it's as simple as calling Slay or Cox or Jones or whoever, or their agent, and say "hey man, could you help us out here? We're trying to recruit high school players and they notice that ****".
If you want to know the answer so badly, trying hitting up Fletcher Cox or Darius Slay and asking them directly. I know Fletcher Cox is proud of being from Yazoo City. I know Chris Jones is proud to be from Houston, MS. I missed Slay’s introduction last night but he was at State two years and his wife played basketball at a directional school in Oklahoma or Kansas according to his Twitter when he was more active on there.

My point was that neither one of those guys are show stoppers anymore in the league. Neither one of them still have coaches at the school that helped them develop into the players they became. If a kid comes to State right now, they aren’t getting the coaching that helped those guys get where they are. The only continuity is the name on the jersey and that name “Mississippi State” means nothing for developing players.

If a kid chooses not to go to State because of lack of exposure from former athletes that are now in the pros, big deal. I don’t love State as much as I used to for multiple reasons. Biggest reason is there are more important things in life. It’s going to be ok. If you literally can’t go on living without knowing the true answer, I’m sure there’s a fan mail address for the Philadelphia Eagles team online somewhere.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Is there anybody still coaching at State that was associated with any of the State players playing tonight? I think I know the answer.
Coaches come and go, but the fraternity and legacy of being a former player remains.... even long after death. Cox is a bulldog. Slay is a bulldog. Don't care what they say.
Chris Jones and Dak, always a bulldog.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
If you want to know the answer so badly, trying hitting up Fletcher Cox or Darius Slay and asking them directly. I know Fletcher Cox is proud of being from Yazoo City. I know Chris Jones is proud to be from Houston, MS. I missed Slay’s introduction last night but he was at State two years and his wife played basketball at a directional school in Oklahoma or Kansas according to his Twitter when he was more active on there.

My point was that neither one of those guys are show stoppers anymore in the league. Neither one of them still have coaches at the school that helped them develop into the players they became. If a kid comes to State right now, they aren’t getting the coaching that helped those guys get where they are. The only continuity is the name on the jersey and that name “Mississippi State” means nothing for developing players.

If a kid chooses not to go to State because of lack of exposure from former athletes that are now in the pros, big deal. I don’t love State as much as I used to for multiple reasons. Biggest reason is there are more important things in life. It’s going to be ok. If you literally can’t go on living without knowing the true answer, I’m sure there’s a fan mail address for the Philadelphia Eagles team online somewhere.
Thanks for the advice on life and how to find the answer to a topic posted on a message board. I guess we could all just google everything ourselves and not have discussions, although I'd hate for dawgstudent to be out on the streets looking for a job.

I've stated why I care about this topic - I do think public image things like this matter, and would like for our admin to address them where possible... Meanwhile you've penned 6 responses on a topic you claim doesn't matter. I'm not sure why you're mad at me.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
A grown man on TV chose to participate in a long standing trend of naming a high school or area or some other random thing instead of their college and posters here just can't seem to not care.

How many players have yelled 'Wakanda Forever!' or 'Wakanda Tech'? over the last 6 years? That doesne't ven begin to address all the other random stuff said.

If a recruit gives a 17 about what an NFL player says on Sunday night football intros, let em sign with Ole Miss.
Cox and Slay are grown men. Certainly, they can make the decision of what they say during their introductions.

But I would argue that whenever an NFL player mentions his college in the intro, it creates positive vibes (or, whatever you want to call it) for the college. Certainly, we all agree that Mississippi State University can use all the positive vibes we can get.

Thus, as a State alum, I do care whether Cox and Slay mention Mississippi State during their intros.

Somebody at our Athletic Department needs to get on this and do whatever it takes to convince each of our NFL players to mention Mississippi State in a positive light whenever they get the chance during interviews, introductions, etc.

Also, this might help us maintain close relationships with these men, which may provide more benefits to us.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Thanks for the advice on life and how to find the answer to a topic posted on a message board. I guess we could all just google everything ourselves and not have discussions, although I'd hate for dawgstudent to be out on the streets looking for a job.

I've stated why I care about this topic - I do think public image things like this matter, and would like for our admin to address them where possible... Meanwhile you've penned 6 responses on a topic you claim doesn't matter. I'm not sure why you're mad at me.
I’m just being polite and replying to you. No anger intended.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If you owned a restaurant in town, would it better for your restaurant if no one ever talked about it, or if highly visible and influential people in your community mentioned it in a positive light?

It's a very simple equation to me.
But they do talk about us. They do promote us.

Would I rather them say high school or MSU? MSU of course.

But suggesting MSU is doing something wrong bc a few players use their high school is idiotic. It’s dumb. It’s insane.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Coaches come and go, but the fraternity and legacy of being a former player remains.... even long after death. Cox is a bulldog. Slay is a bulldog. Don't care what they say.
Chris Jones and Dak, always a bulldog.
I 100% agree with this but some of these people are acting like the people you named aren’t real dogs bc they have used their high schools instead of MSU.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Why would you care what Fletcher Cox does with his money?
Care a lot. Shows if you're solidly behind the university that helped make the player you became. Where money is donated shows where your priorities lie.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Care a lot. Shows if you're solidly behind the university that helped make the player you became. Where money is donated shows where your priorities lie.
How much has Cox donated to MSU so far?
What is your expectation for him to have donated as of now and also over the next 10 years?

I get such a kick out of you of all people holding this expectation for Cox.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
But they do talk about us. They do promote us.

Would I rather them say high school or MSU? MSU of course.

But suggesting MSU is doing something wrong bc a few players use their high school is idiotic. It’s dumb. It’s insane.

We have literally had the EXACT situation in the past where former players got their feelings hurt for a time because certain of our own admin and coaches ignored or point blank shunned them. That would be an example of MSU "doing something wrong". I'm not saying that's what is happening now, because hell if I know. I'm farther removed than I ever have been. But it sure does seem to happen to us a lot, as the OP described in the details of one specific game.

It sounds like you and Ol Blue have decided it's all a big coincidence, and anyone questioning the great coincidence theory is idiotic, dumb and insane. Ok. I hope you're right.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We have literally had the EXACT situation in the past where former players got their feelings hurt for a time because certain of our own admin and coaches ignored or point blank shunned them. That would be an example of MSU "doing something wrong". I'm not saying that's what is happening now, because hell if I know. I'm farther removed than I ever have been. But it sure does seem to happen to us a lot, as the OP described in the details of one specific game.

It sounds like you and Ol Blue have decided it's all a big coincidence, and anyone questioning the great coincidence theory is idiotic, dumb and insane. Ok. I hope you're right.
if you think the details of one specific game of a GD nfl player saying yazoo county high vs MSU is proof we are screwing up as a university, I CAN'T HELP YOU.

Here's some more proof for you. Dak has used Haughton before. Not all the time but he has used it. Dak literally is at a ton of MSU events when his schedule allows. We had in give a pregame speech before the CWS championship.

So based on your evidence and the original posters evidence, Dak doesn't support MSU b/c he used Haughton as his introduction. Thats ignorant. That is dumb. below 90 IQ kind of dumb.

Do we need to reach out to former players? yes.
Do we? I don't know but there seems to be instances where former players are involved just as much as other schools.
Would i like to see us get creative and use them for NIL or something that would benefit us? Yes.
Does the name given in a pregame prerecorded NFL introduction mean anything? Maybe a little. MAYBE.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Cox and Slay are grown men. Certainly, they can make the decision of what they say during their introductions.

But I would argue that whenever an NFL player mentions his college in the intro, it creates positive vibes (or, whatever you want to call it) for the college. Certainly, we all agree that Mississippi State University can use all the positive vibes we can get.

Thus, as a State alum, I do care whether Cox and Slay mention Mississippi State during their intros.

Somebody at our Athletic Department needs to get on this and do whatever it takes to convince each of our NFL players to mention Mississippi State in a positive light whenever they get the chance during interviews, introductions, etc.

Also, this might help us maintain close relationships with these men, which may provide more benefits to us.
Excellent post. Can't say it any better.

If Selman has any sense at all about him, he has realized by now that these guys are the key to MSU NIL. They are the big needle movers.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
How much has Cox donated to MSU so far?
What is your expectation for him to have donated as of now and also over the next 10 years?

I get such a kick out of you of all people holding this expectation for Cox.
I expect him to donate something. He makes hundreds of millions. I make in the tens of thousands, and I probably have given more.....at least from what is public knowledge. I hope I'm wrong and he has given or promised millions to help out with athletic facilities or the NIL fund. A few million is peanuts for him. He wouldn't even know it was missing from his bank account. If he can't even give a tiny bit, then I'm glad he's from Yazoo City and hope he stays there after he retires. And he can keep saying it every game he plays in as well and it won't bother me a bit. In fact, I won't even recognize he ever played for MSU. If some random fan asks me, I'll just say I think he played for Ole Miss or USM.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
IIRC Cox always mentions Yazoo City High School because of his former coach there who greatly mentored him and then died unexpectedly. He's always said his high school in the intros his entire NFL career I believe.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I expect him to donate something. He makes hundreds of millions. I make in the tens of thousands, and I probably have given more.....at least from what is public knowledge. I hope I'm wrong and he has given or promised millions to help out with athletic facilities or the NIL fund. A few million is peanuts for him. He wouldn't even know it was missing from his bank account. If he can't even give a tiny bit, then I'm glad he's from Yazoo City and hope he stays there after he retires. And he can keep saying it every game he plays in as well and it won't bother me a bit. In fact, I won't even recognize he ever played for MSU. If some random fan asks me, I'll just say I think he played for Ole Miss or USM.
Youve doubled down a couple times on this(quadrupled down?) so your view is known and this isnt a case where anyone can be accused of misinterpreting your view.

You think its acceptable to judge and criticize people if they dont spend their money how you want them to, if they are wealthy enough that you think they wont miss the money.
Gotcha. Thats one helluva viewpoint to take, given your outspoken views on government, but at least its cleared up.

I dont think you have ever mentioned though- how much has he given? You are all frothed up over him not giving anything/enough, but to determine that, you need to know how much he has given...right?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Youve doubled down a couple times on this(quadrupled down?) so your view is known and this isnt a case where anyone can be accused of misinterpreting your view.

You think its acceptable to judge and criticize people if they dont spend their money how you want them to, if they are wealthy enough that you think they wont miss the money.
Gotcha. Thats one helluva viewpoint to take, given your outspoken views on government, but at least its cleared up.

I dont think you have ever mentioned though- how much has he given? You are all frothed up over him not giving anything/enough, but to determine that, you need to know how much he has given...right?
To much is given, much is required.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You have no idea just what he has experienced from his relationship with Mississippi State since he left. Dak Prescott has represented Mississippi State many times and I have a feeling we have treated him pretty well. It probably doesn't matter that much to the rest of the world how you and I feel and whether we should expect it to happen.

I really think it's silly to get upset about what a football player says when he refers to the school he played at during the Monday night football intro or Sunday night football intro. But that's just my opinion you are entitled yours too. I personally find it both personal and sometimes amusing when they talk about their high school during that two second blip on national TV.

I think we have discussed this every year for the past few years during the NFL season and we have yet come up with a solution. Honestly, I think the school should be the people who try come up with a solution instead of us if they expect the former players to acknowledge Mississippi State University when they make an appearance on pro ball. The school has a lot more influence than we do.

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
if you think the details of one specific game of a GD nfl player saying yazoo county high vs MSU is proof we are screwing up as a university, I CAN'T HELP YOU.
--- Oh, you thought it was just this one game. I see why you're acting like this. No, it's happened many times over the years. Definitely a pattern.

Here's some more proof for you. Dak has used Haughton before. Not all the time but he has used it. Dak literally is at a ton of MSU events when his schedule allows. We had in give a pregame speech before the CWS championship.
--- Yes, I mentioned Dak as an example of guys who do give us good pub.

So based on your evidence and the original posters evidence, Dak doesn't support MSU b/c he used Haughton as his introduction. Thats ignorant. That is dumb. below 90 IQ kind of dumb.
--- I certainly never said that.

Do we need to reach out to former players? yes.
Do we? I don't know but there seems to be instances where former players are involved just as much as other schools.
Would i like to see us get creative and use them for NIL or something that would benefit us? Yes.
Does the name given in a pregame prerecorded NFL introduction mean anything? Maybe a little. MAYBE.
I'm glad we agree.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I've never cared much about the HS thing in the intros, but I definitely have a softer spot in my heart for the guys who actually seem to care about honoring the college they played for.

There's zero question who I'm rooting for when Dallas plays Philly.
Right.
And I digress from the original post but philly has ajbrown, who I can't root for. And I hate him worse after the smack talk to emerson when they played this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login