Will Jimbo Have a job this time next week if they lose to oLe mIss?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It really just comes down to:
1. Who would be an upgrade?
2. Would that person take the A&M job?
3. Is it worth a $90 Million buyout to make the change?

I think you'll find it's a pretty short list.

Kiffin or Heupel would both be an upgrade (as just about anyone would be). If both were offered something like 5-6 years / $60 million, one of them would for sure take it, and probably both would. Kiffin would almost by default, because even if OM could match the annual salary they could not come anywhere close to matching the duration due to MS contract law. The only way OM could compete on an offer is by going to something absurd like $15 million per year, and they aren’t doing that.

And if somehow neither took it, they could offer half that amount to some upstart mid major coach or someone like Kendall Briles and still have an upgrade. I see no way in any circumstance that Jimbo isn’t toast.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I know Jimbo has stated this season that he would never say never to going home and coaching WV. I think his exact words was "Home is Home"

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't see Lane leaving Oxford for that job or the AU job or just about anything else other than Bama. And I don't believe they would offer him.
Lane's got a great set up in Oxford and he doesn't strike me as a title chaser. He'd probably more apt to win one in Oxford as opposed to the Sh!tshows at A&M and on the plains.
I could understand how you would see that. But I've only seen a handful of coaches who were ever happy to stay in the job they had unless if it wasn't at a major powerhouse.

I can also never see Wayne Kiffin being happy at Ole Miss or any school at that "level" since he has an ego the size of Texas. Now I'm not saying he's gonna jump at every job that might come along but I would be surprised if he didn't jump at the right job if asked. The right job of course it's all up for debate but I imagine it would give him more money and more prestige. I would be saying the same thing if it was happening at Mississippi State or other schools similar to Ole Miss in size and money. Texas A&M could definitely pay him a **** load of money and give him a bigger press podium to stand behind talking to a larger group of reporters and television cameras.

Wait, I'm wrong, he would never leave Ole Miss for a job like that.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Termination DateBuyout
Jan. 1, 2023$85,950,000
Jan. 1, 2024$76,800,000
Jan. 1, 2025$67,550,000
Jan. 1, 2026$58,200,000
Jan. 1, 2027$48,750,000
Jan. 1, 2028$39,200,000
Jan. 1, 2029$29,550,000
Jan. 1, 2030$19,800,000
Jan. 1, 2031$9,950,000
If they're that displeased with him, they'll find a way to set ol Jimbo to so they can fire him "with cause".

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Kiffin or Heupel would both be an upgrade (as just about anyone would be). If both were offered something like 5-6 years / $60 million, one of them would for sure take it, and probably both would. Kiffin would almost by default, because even if OM could match the annual salary they could not come anywhere close to matching the duration due to MS contract law. The only way OM could compete on an offer is by going to something absurd like $15 million per year, and they aren’t doing that.

And if somehow neither took it, they could offer half that amount to some upstart mid major coach or someone like Kendall Briles and still have an upgrade. I see no way in any circumstance that Jimbo isn’t toast.
I'm no Jimbo fan, but I also don't think 'just about anyone would be' an upgrade and even if they are functionally an upgrade, the A&M athletic department has created a ridiculous expectation on the resume of their next head coach. The coach of the Sun Belt Champion or the OC for a middling Big Ten team isn't going to cut it after you just went out and hired a national champion and 3 time Power 5 conference champion.

I think you picked the two most likely candidates though. Both are probably a downgrade resume-wise, but an upgrade functionally. I think Kiffin has a better chance of leaving over Heupel.

Reactions: Ghostman

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I sadly talk to way to many Aggies. Jimbo is going to have to hire an OC and change the offense this off-season. But he's not going anywhere unless he agrees to take a serious haircut on his buyout.

Even with the guaranteed contract, I imagine the A&M cigar boys still have enough power to force the OC hire on him, those oil barron's deal with the Russians and Saudis all the time, even Jimbo doesn't want to cross them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The A&M athletic department has created a ridiculous expectation on the resume of their next head coach. The coach of the Sun Belt Champion or the OC for a middling Big Ten team isn't going to cut it after you just went out and hired a national champion and 3 time Power 5 conference champion.

I can see how it would appear that they are setting that expectation for the next hire, but I think its possible that Jimbo was just their guy they identified in the last go round and they paid what it took to get him. I don’t see it as a guarantee of what candidates they would be looking for in the future. Sure, if they get someone like Ryan Day or Dabo willing to bite on a stupid amount of money, yeah they’ll do it. But every other name on that scale is either too old (Saban), or just recently made a move (Kelly, Riley), or is already entrenched in a cush situation (Smart, Harbaugh). So I think both their alumni and fans both know the next hire won’t match Jimbo’s resume.

I think its also worth noting how the contract problem likely played a big role in creating the Jimbo problem. He knew full well when he signed that deal that he was going to probably get shitcanned well before it expired, and he was totally fine with that. That’s a huge issue when you remove any mechanism to hold the HC accountable. He’s going to keep being stubborn and running an antiquated offense from 2003 and doing whatever he wants, because why wouldn’t he? I honestly give him credit for pretending to give a crap for as long as he has. The only way to solve the contract problem is to simply pay it out and don’t agree to such a one-sided deal ever again if you’re A&M.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
This is amazing. $70-80 million is basically what we spent on each of our major renovations, correct? New dude and 2014 Davis wade expansion. And twice our current hump renovation. They’ll have to pay that much to fire a coach.
Our Athletic Department spent about 90 million total in 2021.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't see Lane leaving Oxford for that job or the AU job or just about anything else other than Bama. And I don't believe they would offer him.
Lane's got a great set up in Oxford and he doesn't strike me as a title chaser. He'd probably more apt to win one in Oxford as opposed to the Sh!tshows at A&M and on the plains.
I don't see him leaving for Auburn. A&M can probably offer him the right combination of a massive paycheck and NIL money for recruits. Only drawback for A&M is that if he takes it, that's probably it. It's not quite a true blue blood like a Bama or OSU, but it's still probably a school you are at until you are fired, retire, or go to the NFL.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't see him leaving for Auburn. A&M can probably offer him the right combination of a massive paycheck and NIL money for recruits. Only drawback for A&M is that if he takes it, that's probably it. It's not quite a true blue blood like a Bama or OSU, but it's still probably a school you are at until you are fired, retire, or go to the NFL.
He won't make another mistake, he's already done that once when he went to USC. And USC by itself wasn't the mistake, it was USC with looming NCAA penalties. It nearly torpedoed his career.

If the money AND fit aren't perfect, he won't do it. He's not a fit at A&M or Auburn, and he knows it. He won't go to Oklahoma or LSU either. Nor Alabama, because it would be following up Saban, he's smarter than that. Dabo is the one who will probably do that, and then run it into the ground. Anybody would go to Georgia, but that's not available anytime soon. Tennessee won't happen even if it was open.

USC, UCLA, Miami and Florida likely aren't open for the next few years. Just sitting here as I type trying to figure out somewhere else he might go, the only place I can think of is maybe Texas, because they are just Ole Miss on steroids. Oregon has a 1st year coach doing alright. UCLA is probably the most likely option because who knows how long Kelly lasts there.

Bottom line I think he's at Ole Miss for a while. And that doesn't scare me or anything, not sure why it does some of our other fans.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
More likely to win a Natty in Oxfart?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Sports God has placed a curse on A&M for having all male cheerleaders.. Fix that BS and maybe they will become a force to be reckoned with.

Oct 17, 2022
He won't make another mistake, he's already done that once when he went to USC. And USC by itself wasn't the mistake, it was USC with looming NCAA penalties. It nearly torpedoed his career.

If the money AND fit aren't perfect, he won't do it. He's not a fit at A&M or Auburn, and he knows it. He won't go to Oklahoma or LSU either. Nor Alabama, because it would be following up Saban, he's smarter than that. Dabo is the one who will probably do that, and then run it into the ground. Anybody would go to Georgia, but that's not available anytime soon. Tennessee won't happen even if it was open.

USC, UCLA, Miami and Florida likely aren't open for the next few years. Just sitting here as I type trying to figure out somewhere else he might go, the only place I can think of is maybe Texas, because they are just Ole Miss on steroids. Oregon has a 1st year coach doing alright. UCLA is probably the most likely option because who knows how long Kelly lasts there.

Bottom line I think he's at Ole Miss for a while. And that doesn't scare me or anything, not sure why it does some of our other fans.
Why would you think Florida won’t be open ?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
His buyout is a sunk cost. The only added cost for the school will be what they pay a new coach.

Exactly. Its not like it would make any more financial sense to spend $90 million to buy him out even if they were 0-8 right now…..but of course they would still do it in a heartbeat. Its a hilarious position they put themselves in, but they can 100% afford to pull the trigger whenever they want or else they wouldn’t have done it.

Oct 17, 2022
I suppose it could be 2-3 years from now, but not right now. When you're talking college football, does anything matter beyond this season? MAYBE next season?
I’m thinking if he has a bad year next year, he’s not for long at Florida. They have some bad fans who won’t allow him time.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm no Jimbo fan, but I also don't think 'just about anyone would be' an upgrade and even if they are functionally an upgrade, the A&M athletic department has created a ridiculous expectation on the resume of their next head coach. The coach of the Sun Belt Champion or the OC for a middling Big Ten team isn't going to cut it after you just went out and hired a national champion and 3 time Power 5 conference champion.

I think you picked the two most likely candidates though. Both are probably a downgrade resume-wise, but an upgrade functionally. I think Kiffin has a better chance of leaving over Heupel.

Heupel has a ton of goodwill in UT right now, but UT still probably has unrealistic expectations compared to their natural pecking order. He might be willing to jump for a godfather offer from A&M. You'd assume he'd at least be watching Oklahoma and thinking that might be an opportunity in another year though.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I suppose it could be 2-3 years from now, but not right now. When you're talking college football, does anything matter beyond this season? MAYBE next season?

He needs to finish up 8-4 this year or he is starting next year on the hot seat. I think he'll probably be fine. The UK loss doesn't look great, but it's not terrible. the UT loss isn't bad; the LSU loss isn't bad and I think will look less bad as the season goes on. I think it's just normal first year growing pains. The worst part of his resume is barely beating Missouri. Needs a competitive showing against UGA and then win out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m thinking if he has a bad year next year, he’s not for long at Florida. They have some bad fans who won’t allow him time.
I would agree, and I think he will. I don't think Napier is a good fit for Florida at all, he's basically Mullen except more of a Gomer. And when that happens, that'll be the real threat for Kiffin.

Reactions: Croomonshrooms

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Heupel has a ton of goodwill in UT right now, but UT still probably has unrealistic expectations compared to their natural pecking order. He might be willing to jump for a godfather offer from A&M. You'd assume he'd at least be watching Oklahoma and thinking that might be an opportunity in another year though.
I was thinking he might he watching the situation at OU too, but I don’t know how tied to OU he really is. Obviously, he played there, but he was a transfer student and he’s not from the area. They also fired him in 2014.

I’m actually not sure that OU is going to be a better gig than Tennessee after they move to the SEC.

OU has kind of made a killing on running through a weak Big 12 only to get skull drug in the CFP.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was thinking he might he watching the situation at OU too, but I don’t know how tied to OU he really is. Obviously, he played there, but he was a transfer student and he’s not from the area. They also fired him in 2014.

I’m actually not sure that OU is going to be a better gig than Tennessee after they move to the SEC.

OU has kind of made a killing on running through a weak Big 12 only to get skull drug in the CFP.
Oklahoma is another one of those Bo Bounds hot-take type programs. I don't think the administration there is souring on Brent Venables - they hired him to transform their roster into an SEC-type roster, for the reasons you just stated. They were a high-flying Big 12 team, which is usually soft. They'd get eaten up in the SEC. I don't think Venables is leaving barring an absolute tank job, and maybe not even then.

This is Media Freak-out Click-bait 101. Same for aTm. They never look at the long-term. Of course, I will admit that by long-term I mean 2-3 years max.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I didn't realize they'd fired him in 2014. I am always skeptical of assuming that a player that played for the school loves the school, but even if he did, getting fired probably made him a little more clear eyed about the business side of it, so he may not have much of an interest in OU.

Oct 17, 2022
Venables ma6 not be a good fit at OU. DCs that become HCs fail if they don’t relinquish the offense to good OCs. I don’t know if that’s his case but OCs that become HCs and hire a good DC to run the defense and then leave that side of the ball alone fare better.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'd be surprised if Huepel ever left TN. TN can compete with any offer he gets. Unless he finds he can't beat UGA, he's got no reason to leave. The AD is his friend too.
Kiffin is going to haul *** if he gets a legit offer from any blue blood. AU would be a borderline offer. He can wait on Miami, FL, or FSU. Maybe even TX. Only thing, he's got to keep OM churning when that schedule gets real after this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login