Will played a great game but I'm still baffled with what we are doing with Wright...

patdog

May 28, 2007
Beats the heck out of me. Half the plays we have used him have been on 2nd or 3rd and long when we've had him hand off or run. Makes no sense at all. Either have a short yardage offensive package for him or give him full series once or twice a game. But bringing him in for 3-4 random plays throughout the game makes no sense at all.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Run double QB. If they go after will lateral to Wright and he's got an advantage he can run for 5 yards or throw for 7

Reactions: Dawg1976

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Use him at WR. I bet he would do better there than I have seen at QB. It gives you different options than being right behind the center. I would use him as a decoy for a couple plays so that when you do use him catching and running the ball, it is a total surprise, and you don't know what to plan for going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Maybe just maybe they are setting up a big pass play for the future.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Use his skillset a bit more.
It's easy. We bring him in and let him run it from the QB position a time or two a game. How SC doesn't know that and let him score is an indictment on them.

OR

we are setting Bama up for the ultimate trick play to win the game!***

ETA: If he is fast, he needs to be at safety ASAP. Don't care if he's never played a down there. You can't coach speed into a guy!

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
When our opponent is selling out to stop the run its hard to use Mike. Other than the touchdown he was about as effective as Woody. They were determined to stop anyone running

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Us him at WR. I bet he would do better there than I have seen at QB. It gives you different options than being right behind the center. I would use him as a decoy for a couple plays so that when you do use him catching and running the ball, it is a total surprise, and you don't know what to plan for going forward.
This is what I would do.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Us him at WR. I bet he would do better there than I have seen at QB. It gives you different options than being right behind the center. I would use him as a decoy for a couple plays so that when you do use him catching and running the ball, it is a total surprise, and you don't know what to plan for going forward.
I was wondering about that. He's useful. Or will the coaches we him like Tulu was used prior to this year?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Croom say he is going to be this years secret weapon. Extra credit to anyone who can remember who the original secret weapon was, because I sure as hell can’t
Croom burned Arceto Clark’s redshirt in the eighth game of the 2008 season against Middle Tennessee State. Said he was our secret weapon. Clark finished the year with three catches for 11 yards and three rushing attempts for 21 yards. Yet another completely boneheaded decision by Croom.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
It is really disappointing. Like Tulu and Zavion, he is electric with the ball in his hands. If he's not going to get snaps as QB, we should be using him as a receiver. Fake it to him several times a game on jet sweeps, or actually give it to him a couple times, toss it to him and let him do a fake-run pass. I thought for sure how much we saw of him in the opener that we'd get more of it throughout the season but we seem content to use him in the most predictably vanilla ways.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
When our opponent is selling out to stop the run its hard to use Mike. Other than the touchdown he was about as effective as Woody. They were determined to stop anyone running
It would help if they would let him run rpo. It ought to be wide open. If he comes in option they will come up pop it to Robinson or tulu at 8 and then make it 40. It makes the defense make a decision

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Stats say 57.4 percent of passes (85-for-148) for 974 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2022.
He's better than fitz around same as relf.
Relf was actually 60% his last year.
Russell was 58 in 2012.

you wouldn't think that based on fan opinion. You would think Russell was way better passer but he wasn't. Russell was 65 his last year but he didn't play as much. Dak was 58 that same year. Dak was 61 in 2014. On stats alone he's good enough to complete some passes to mix it up especially if you do rpo and make them make a decision. How they have been using him now is head scratching

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Croom burned Arceto Clark’s redshirt in the eighth game of the 2008 season against Middle Tennessee State. Said he was our secret weapon. Clark finished the year with three catches for 11 yards and three rushing attempts for 21 yards. Yet another completely boneheaded decision by Croom.
If I remember correctly, Arceto ended up being academically ineligible for a season. I guess he got to use a RS for that season?

I will say that if we keep using Wright like we're using him and burn his redshirt, that seems pretty crappy unless it's clear one of the underclassmen is going to outclass him anyway.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is what I would do.
I like the idea of using him in the defensive backfield as well. Having one of the fastest players on the team spend most of his playing time on the sidelines is a waste - you've got to find a place to use him. Of course, he could not be mentally able to play anything but quarterback... not have any aptitude for another position, we don't know. I would be surprised if that statement is true.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
My question is can he even throw the ball?
That’s the million dollar question. What we do know is that Wright was a 57% passer last year while Will has a 60% completion % this year, but I guess those 3 points make all the difference for our coaches

Kanye West Shrug GIF

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Run double QB. If they go after will lateral to Wright and he's got an advantage he can run for 5 yards or throw for 7
I'm just imagining the sight of the ball rolling down the field the wrong way a la 3rd-and-93.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Use his skillset a bit more.
I’ve been calling to see Wright used more, but this wasn’t the game to do it. SCAR was loading the box and asking us to throw it over the top - which we did pretty well. We were getting man coverage and safeties biting on play action all game. When you have that, you need your best passer on the field.

Their gameplan was to stop the run at all costs, not sure that Wright would have added much on Saturday.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
When our opponent is selling out to stop the run its hard to use Mike. They were determined to stop anyone running

I'm afraid this will be the AL game plan (as well as any other future opponents). They will push our line straight back and have half a dozen sacks and force Will to be on the mark which when pressed has been an impossibility.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It would help if they would let him run rpo. It ought to be wide open. If he comes in option they will come up pop it to Robinson or tulu at 8 and then make it 40. It makes the defense make a decision
I would certainly think an offensive genius like Barbay could scheme a handful of plays and put in in for at least 2 or 3 consecutive plays a few times a game. I know he was riding Will with the hot hand against SC. He was great on the touchdown and got stuff the other times he came in. Scary to bring Will out when he is lighting it up and lose 3 yards. Ya know ? We had that happen one time on first down. If he gets outside he can go tho. Outside. Not up the middle

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would certainly think an offensive genius like Barbay could scheme a handful of plays and put in in for at least 2 or 3 consecutive plays a few times a game. I know he was riding Will with the hot hand against SC. He was great on the touchdown and got stuff the other times he came in. Scary to bring Will out when he is lighting it up and lose 3 yards. Ya know ? We had that happen one time on first down. If he gets outside he can go tho. Outside. Not up the middle
No doubt. Will played extremely well and it pisses me off the way they sub qb in takes everything out of rhythm

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login