Will Rogers on Life after Leach...

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Very accurate but unfortunately par for the course for every coach we’ve had in the history of the program (probably).
Every offense in the history of the program didn't include a quarterback staring down receivers and holding the ball too long.

To say last year's offense was on par with every other offense in the program's history is ridiculous. And just because we've never been offensive juggernauts doesn't excuse the **** show we saw at times last year. We were sold on the air raid lighting up the scoreboard. That's not what we got. We got a QB throwing 45 check downs every game.

Reactions: RockyDog

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
We put up 40 points on Arkansas. What are you talking about?

Kentucky? Yeah, we sucked. Ole Miss? Yeah we struggled in a rivalry game and still won.

The main knock on Leach's offense that I agree with is that it puts a lot of pressure on the QB. I think Will was trying to do too much (like bootleg it into the end zone and turning it over).

But remind me - which unit gave up a 99 yard TD drive with the game on the line, again?
Did you miss the part where I said during Leach’s tenure. Wasn’t talking about just last year. Leach was 1-2 against each of those I mentioned and the losses to each were all ugly offensively except for the shootout loss to Arkansas. Do you not remember 24-2?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am assuming this is the offense we are going to run. If so, I like it. Rogers better bring his A game if this is it. There are probably a few QB in wait who can run it.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Last years offense in the SEC including our OOC schedule:

8th total offense
12th yards/play
7th TDs scored
9th passing efficiency
9th pass yards per compl
14th pass yards per attempt

Not a damn thing special about it.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Did you miss the part where I said during Leach’s tenure. Wasn’t talking about just last year. Leach was 1-2 against each of those I mentioned and the losses to each were all ugly offensively except for the shootout loss to Arkansas. Do you not remember 24-2?
Also, our defense was gassed in the 4th quarter of virtually every game against good teams because they were on the field all night. Last year's Ole Miss game was a great example of that since he brought up the 99 yard drive. But the defense still made a play to win the game in spite of the offense that night, so that was a pretty terrible example for him to bring up.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Last years offense in the SEC including our OOC schedule:

8th total offense
12th yards/play
7th TDs scored
9th passing efficiency
9th pass yards per compl
14th pass yards per attempt

Not a damn thing special about it.
I never said it was special. I said it wasn't the most terrible offense ever put on the field at MSU. National offensive rankings back that up. It was 43rd (offensive rankings), while our defense was 40th (defensive rankings).

Neither of them were world beaters, but both of them were pretty good. Our offense in 2021 was better in almost every metric than last year's even though our record was worse. If we'd had a kicker worth a **** in 2021 we'd have had 9 wins.

I just think the hate some of y'all have for Leach's offense is off the charts. I don't care about eye candy. I don't care about how many times we run the ball. I care about winning games. Leach did that about as successfully as any other coach we've had.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Also, our defense was gassed in the 4th quarter of virtually every game against good teams because they were on the field all night. Last year's Ole Miss game was a great example of that since he brought up the 99 yard drive. But the defense still made a play to win the game in spite of the offense that night, so that was a pretty terrible example for him to bring up.
TOP in the Egg Bowl:
MSU: 32:22
Ole Miss: 27:38

Sorry, you'll have to find another narrative as this one doesn't hold water.

2022 Egg Bowl Box Score

Reactions: FlotownDawg

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Every offense in the history of the program didn't include a quarterback staring down receivers and holding the ball too long.

To say last year's offense was on par with every other offense in the program's history is ridiculous. And just because we've never been offensive juggernauts doesn't excuse the **** show we saw at times last year. We were sold on the air raid lighting up the scoreboard. That's not what we got. We got a QB throwing 45 check downs every game.
You act like our offenses under EVERY. SINGLE. COACH. WE'VE. EVER. HAD. didn't produce multiple **** shows yearly. I don't recall Mullen's team ripping Bama, Georgia, and LSU new ******** every year. As a matter of fact, I recall multiple people bitching constantly about how vanilla and predictable they were.

It doesn't matter who's running the show. A good coach (like Leach, Mullen, and Sherrill) will win because they know how to run a program. Bad coaches (Croom, Moorhead) will not. The rest of it is based on the respective talent levels. We aren't as talented as the teams that routinely throttle us. That's why we look like peewee football against them every year.

You want better results? You better open up that checkbook and start funding the NIL.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You act like our offenses under EVERY. SINGLE. COACH. WE'VE. EVER. HAD. didn't produce multiple **** shows yearly. I don't recall Mullen's team ripping Bama, Georgia, and LSU new ******** every year. As a matter of fact, I recall multiple people bitching constantly about how vanilla and predictable they were.

It doesn't matter who's running the show. A good coach (like Leach, Mullen, and Sherrill) will win because they know how to run a program. Bad coaches (Croom, Moorhead) will not. The rest of it is based on the respective talent levels. We aren't as talented as the teams that routinely throttle us. That's why we look like peewee football against them every year.

You want better results? You better open up that checkbook and start funding the NIL.
I don't give a 17 about other offenses. You keep bringing them up to justify the recent **** shows. All those other offenses got appropriate levels of bitching, too. It doesn't excuse anything that happened last year or the year before. Take your head out of your *** and listen.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I'm just excited to have a guy taking snaps who is in his fourth year of D-1 football. Seems like it's been awhile since we've had that. That could literally be the x-factor in these games that are decided by one score.

Reactions: QuadrupleOption

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I don't give a 17 about other offenses. You keep bringing them up to justify the recent **** shows. All those other offenses got appropriate levels of bitching, too. It doesn't excuse anything that happened last year or the year before. Take your head out of your *** and listen.
Sorry I refuse to engage in overly emotional hyperbolic BS in an effort to paint an untrue picture of our football program as run by our deceased head coach.

By all means, you guys keep unnecessarily shitting on our program in an effort to show how fanly you are.

Reactions: PCHSDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We were 11th in the SEC in total offense and 12th in yards per play. Although we were 9th in offensive touchdowns. Not awful (the touchdowns is the most important stat after all). But not great either.
That's it. For us to have offensive gurus for coaches our offense have rarely been in the top categories in most important stats. Don't give a shiit about passing yards and pass attempts. I care about touchdowns. 3rd down conversion. Points. Total offense has not been great for having offensive geniuses. Why is that? Too much speed in this conference without having the best jimmys and joes under Moorhead and too slow and reactionary. With Leach the offense was too predictable, old and simple, and unbalanced for the sec to really work every game. Need balance and Jimmy and joes.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Need balance and Jimmy and joes.
We aren't going to have them, more times than not. That's what so many fail to realize. At best, we have a bunch of Mississippi-developed 3 stars, or some out-of-state rejects. Maybe we get lucky in a select few years. That's why we have to innovate.

I really, really hope Leach's developmental offense, and not the talent, was the issue last year. Because if it wasn't, we will suck. I personally think it was a little of both. Leach was building for the long term, so he didn't care about individual talent. But we also do not have 5 star studs. We have a few 4 stars and then some older guys.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
You're being obtuse.

Or maybe you loved watching the futility against Illinois, Ole Miss, Kentucky, etc.
I enjoyed winning two of those three games, for sure. Our offense could have been better last season obviously, but it wasn't the worst offense I've ever seen. Relative to our recruiting it was fine. It certainly could have been worse.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We aren't going to have them, more times than not. That's what so many fail to realize. At best, we have a bunch of Mississippi-developed 3 stars, or some out-of-state rejects. Maybe we get lucky in a select few years. That's why we have to innovate.

I really, really hope Leach's developmental offense, and not the talent, was the issue last year. Because if it wasn't, we will suck. I personally think it was a little of both. Leach was building for the long term, so he didn't care about individual talent. But we also do not have 5 star studs. We have a few 4 stars and then some older guys.
I mean look at mullen best years we had were when players were fully develop mostly qb in year 3 and 4. And lineman in year 3-4. We had that last year with many of our offensive players but continued to struggle in scoring. Games that we ran the ball more and especially in redzone we scored more. Just need some balance for the red zone. Need to be ability to stick it running or something quick to tight end or talk receiver at the pylon

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I never said it was special. I said it wasn't the most terrible offense ever put on the field at MSU. National offensive rankings back that up. It was 43rd (offensive rankings), while our defense was 40th (defensive rankings).

Neither of them were world beaters, but both of them were pretty good. Our offense in 2021 was better in almost every metric than last year's even though our record was worse. If we'd had a kicker worth a **** in 2021 we'd have had 9 wins.

I just think the hate some of y'all have for Leach's offense is off the charts. I don't care about eye candy. I don't care about how many times we run the ball. I care about winning games. Leach did that about as successfully as any other coach we've had.
And this fascination with Leach some have is more about the man than the coach. The offense went backwards last season. As for comparisons to defense, defense scored a lot and set up that offense a lot. The offense kept it on the field so much it's a damn miracle it was as good as it was.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
And this fascination with Leach some have is more about the man than the coach. The offense went backwards last season. As for comparisons to defense, defense scored a lot and set up that offense a lot. The offense kept it on the field so much it's a damn miracle it was as good as it was.
Leach was a better head coach for us than he was an offensive coordinator (and he was the offensive coordinator no matter what the official staff titles were).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Pretty good synopsis.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
It’s getting into weird Rebel territory. They were always known for deifying their coaches especially Cut and Freeze.

Not a single person in this thread has said one disparaging thing about Mike Leach the man. But some of these people are taking it so personally.

It is totally fair to be critical of Leach’s offense and point out it”s issues. Doesn’t have a thing to do with Mike Leach the person and it doesn’t tarnish his legacy in any way. He had a long berry effective career. Unfortunately for us he lost some steam and others starter to figure out his scheme with the level of athletes needed to slow it down.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
It’s getting into weird Rebel territory. They were always known for deifying their coaches especially Cut and Freeze.

Not a single person in this thread has said one disparaging thing about Mike Leach the man. But some of these people are taking it so personally.

It is totally fair to be critical of Leach’s offense and point out it”s issues. Doesn’t have a thing to do with Mike Leach the person and it doesn’t tarnish his legacy in any way. He had a long berry effective career. Unfortunately for us he lost some steam and others starter to figure out his scheme with the level of athletes needed to slow it down.
Some of the criticism goes beyond rationality and into the realm of ********, which is what I was calling out. I've stated multiple times in this very thread that the offense wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, it was also not as bad as some of the posters here would lead you to believe. It was pretty good. It was decent. It struggled against top defenses, which is nothing new for any offense we've ever had here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login