Willie Fritz at Tulane

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
He’s 63. Is he too old for us to try and get? Because I love his track record and what he’s done at Tulane is impressive. He’s only paid 2.5 a year so we could offer a significant pay increase on top of being in the SEC.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
He’s 63. Is he too old for us to try and get? Because I love his track record and what he’s done at Tulane is impressive. He’s only paid 2.5 a year so we could offer a significant pay increase on top of being in the SEC.
I wouldn’t be against that if this year continues to fall apart. Shelf life on coaches is really 5-6 years. Plus it’s doubtful he would look to ditch us for another job.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I honestly doubt they are gonna fire Arnett regardless. Course I didn't think they would fire Moorhead either
The only thing that makes me think maybe they would pull the trigger after only 1 year is how he was hired. He was hired to a regular contract but it was done in interim coach fashion. The opening came at a non-typical time so there were reasons for that. If this had been a typical job search at the end of the season and we fired the coach after one year, that would be a red flag to potential coaches. I don't this would be perceived the same way.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I don’t think making a change here would hurt perception. media, opposing fans, coaches all clearly see our coaching is horrible.

Reactions: HailStout

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What makes him the perfect coach for us?
The offense
He's proven to know how to be a head coach at all levels
He won't go anywhere for the foreseeable future

Would prefer late 50s, and at age 63 he's pushing it. You'll get a decade at most out of him. I guess Texas was trying to hire Saban at that age.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
I know people don't like Bartoo, but he's been right on a lot of things so consider this:

Bartoo says that hire head coaches that have won stuff.

Whether that's D2, G5, or P5, hire head coaches that have won trophies. They're the best guys.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
The reality for us is that we are not going to be able to make the “perfect” hire the way schools like Bama or LSU can. If the only strike is that he is a little older than ideal, I wouldn’t let that stand in the way. The only proven head coaches we have hired in my lifetime are Jackie and Leach. Both of them were special situations. We didn’t steal a successful head coach from a major power 5 school. I honestly don’t want to play coordinator roulette anymore. We need to hire a proven head coach that doesn’t have to learn on the job.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I honestly doubt they are gonna fire Arnett regardless. Course I didn't think they would fire Moorhead either
I think SlowJo ran his mouth a bit too much. Between that and having our linebacker crack the starting qb's jaw, he kinda forced their hand.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The reality for us is that we are not going to be able to make the “perfect” hire the way schools like Bama or LSU can.
Why not? WTF is this limiting shlt? If our president/AD/all of management lays out a specific plan for the football program, we can narrow down the coach list to guys who fit that mold. That would increase our hit chances exponentially over time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think SlowJo ran his mouth a bit too much. Between that and having our linebacker crack the starting qb's jaw, he kinda forced their hand.
Yeah there was no question Slophead was coming back, had all that stuff not taken place. And we would have went 0-10 in the 2020 season and he would have been fired at that time. So even if you know, if something obvious and blatant doesn't happen, not much you can really do.

Barring a complete collapse including losing out, Arnett is back next year. Personally I think we find a way to get to 6-6. After looking at all the evidence, I don't think the staff is just totally incompetent. There has just been some rookie decisions made here and there, that MAYBE can be corrected.

Last edited:

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
The offense
He's proven to know how to be a head coach at all levels
He won't go anywhere for the foreseeable future

Would prefer late 50s, and at age 63 he's pushing it. You'll get a decade at most out of him. I guess Texas was trying to hire Saban at that age.
So his offense in MSU?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
In this day of the social media age, in addition to a proven HC, we also need some who is high energy has a personality and understands he needs to sell the program/Starkville. Someone who is a good recruiter and understands we need to work the portal is a must too.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
In this day of the social media age, in addition to a proven HC, we also need some who is high energy has a personality and understands he needs to sell the program/Starkville. Someone who is a good recruiter and understands we need to work the portal is a must too.
Agreed but the guy you just described won't be at State very long.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Look what he’s done at Tulane or in previous stops. He knows how to build a program and we are going to have to rebuild.
Yes? Where do you think I'm talking about?
I hate typos...

in=is. I'm asking if you think his offense is MSU? I see this mentioned most place that we are a blue collar team and we need a blue collar coach with a blue collar offense and defense.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's why we either accept that and go the young, energized long-tenured P5 assistant route, OR....go for the proven guy who is in his late 50s (or early 60s in the case of Fritz) who we know is likely looking at his last gig (and may or may not have a little baggage). So you have Danny on one side of the spectrum, and the Kang and Leach on the other. All successful.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I hate typos...

in=is. I'm asking if you think his offense is MSU? I see this mentioned most place that we are a blue collar team and we need a blue collar coach with a blue collar offense and defense.
He's like the definition of innovative/against the grain.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If he can win big enough here to get a higher paying and better job (there aren't many of those out there), I'm all for hiring him! We need to quit worrying about how long a coach will stay at Mississippi and ONLY be concerned with hiring a coach who can WIN at Mississippi State. Whether that's for 2 years or 20 years.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I know people don't like Bartoo, but he's been right on a lot of things so consider this:

Bartoo says that hire head coaches that have won stuff.

Whether that's D2, G5, or P5, hire head coaches that have won trophies. They're the best guys.
That's what I keep pushing for and saying. We are better off getting en experienced head coach that's been successful at multiple stops. I liked fritz years ago. He had really good years and has really bad years too. Folks at Tulane love him.

Kinne is too young and only been a head coach one year each at two schools and total of 6 years college experience. Just not enough yet.

I still like someone that's been at power 5 and maybe at G5 now. Or spent a ton of time with a championship program.

obviously guys like Butch and muschamp are downside of that. I would say they were really successful. Them, arnett, Moorhead would be downside of getting coordinators even at coaching with a successful program. Mullen of course was a win. I would say Kirby and Kiffin were also successes out of that. Kiffin of course had been a head coach before.

I still like the ideas of Malzahn, Patrino, Mullen even though they are retreads, they were successful at power 5 programs and all have overall winning records. All know the sec also and our recruiting footprint. All know offense and qbs. All know the importance of defense. Maybe Patrino not as much. I don't care if one of them left us for another program. I don't care if one got caught on a motorcycle. I don't care if auburn fired gus because he wasn't winning championships at the same clip as saban. That's their problem. He was extremely successful there and had been at UCF until his starting g qb got hurt. I would rather have any of those 3 guys that a coach that's only got 2 years at two different schools. Or a coordinator that's hopped around different schools and doesn't know much about the other side of the ball.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's what I keep pushing for and saying. We are better off getting en experienced head coach that's been successful at multiple stops. I liked fritz years ago. He had really good years and has really bad years too. Folks at Tulane love him.

Kinne is too young and only been a head coach one year each at two schools and total of 6 years college experience. Just not enough yet.

I still like someone that's been at power 5 and maybe at G5 now. Or spent a ton of time with a championship program.

obviously guys like Butch and muschamp are downside of that. I would say they were really successful. Them, arnett, Moorhead would be downside of getting coordinators even at coaching with a successful program. Mullen of course was a win. I would say Kirby and Kiffin were also successes out of that. Kiffin of course had been a head coach before.

I still like the ideas of Malzahn, Patrino, Mullen even though they are retreads, they were successful at power 5 programs and all have overall winning records. All know the sec also and our recruiting footprint. All know offense and qbs. All know the importance of defense. Maybe Patrino not as much. I don't care if one of them left us for another program. I don't care if one got caught on a motorcycle. I don't care if auburn fired gus because he wasn't winning championships at the same clip as saban. That's their problem. He was extremely successful there and had been at UCF until his starting g qb got hurt. I would rather have any of those 3 guys that a coach that's only got 2 years at two different schools. Or a coordinator that's hopped around different schools and doesn't know much about the other side of the ball.
Malzahn - yes, Petrino - yes, Mullen - no. Never hire a former coach. It's never as good the second time around.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would almost bet Malzahn ends up at Arkansas next year unless he implodes. He or patrino will be back in SEC next year. Just based on freeze coming back. One of those guys will be bounce back in

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If he can win big enough here to get a higher paying and better job (there aren't many of those out there), I'm all for hiring him! We need to quit worrying about how long a coach will stay at Mississippi and ONLY be concerned with hiring a coach who can WIN at Mississippi State. Whether that's for 2 years or 20 years.
You can do this once every other or whatever, but you don't want to consistently string this together. Hard to maintain.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Concur, but not problems with that. The best years of MSU football were under a coach that tried to leave every year. I want a coach that other big time programs want.

Leach was a once in a lifetime coach, there will never been another like him (someone who can win, but would remain loyal longer than most). Had we hired him instead of SloMo....or even Croom.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach was a once in a lifetime coach, there will never been another like him (someone who can win, but would remain loyal longer than most). Had we hired him instead of SloMo....or even Croom.
Why is this so hard to get? If you get a guy in his late 50s, he's likely not looking to job hop again. AND....they obviously have been through the wars and have the experience.

Mike Leach WAS once in a lifetime, but not because of his loyalty.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yeah there was no question Slophead was coming back, had all that stuff not taken place. And we would have went 0-10 in the 2020 season and he would have been fired at that time. So even if you know, if something obvious and blatant doesn't happen, not much you can really do.

Barring a complete collapse including losing out, Arnett is back next year. Personally I think we find a way to get to 6-6. After looking at all the evidence, I don't think the staff is just totally incompetent. There has just been some rookie decisions made here and there, that MAYBE can be corrected.
I would have to agree with that if he does not show any progress with the team between now and the end of the season, they'll have every right to change coaches

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login