With the Colorado news, What is the max size you'd like for the SEC?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I don't see the ACC or the PAC 12 surviving, and most here seem to be sold about adding Clemson and FSU to the SEC. I'd think that North Carolina, Virgina, Virginia Tech, and one of NC State, Pitt or Miami would be next on the list. That would put us at 22 or 24 if you took all of them.

I'd assume in that scenario, the Big 10 would take Washington, Cal, Stanford, and Utah. Maybe Oregon, Syracuse. Ga Tech or Duke...

The big 12 adds Arizona, ASU, and???

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I think Virginia and Tech is stretching the regionality of the "Southeastern" Conference. Then again, so are Texas/ATM/Oklahoma so what do I know lol

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I would like NC State but not North Carolina. I think all four of those North Carolina schools are going to want to remain in same conference. I could be surprised.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Two dynamics at work here - you cannot raid the ACC at the moment, so it's off the table. It's all about who the B1G wants. They've had a long-standing alliance with the Pacific teams so you assume Washington is next, followed by Oregon. They'll take Stanford and Cal too. So that's done, maxed at 20. This will likely happen over time.

The question is, who does the SEC take 10 years from now when it becomes possible. Clemson and FSU are the obvious. It's not clear after that - at all. That whole 'state' dynamic is no longer valid. You now need big fanbases.

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Two dynamics at work here - you cannot raid the ACC at the moment, so it's off the table. It's all about who the B1G wants. They've had a long-standing alliance with the Pacific teams so you assume Washington is next, followed by Oregon. They'll take Stanford and Cal too. So that's done, maxed at 20. This will likely happen over time.

The question is, who does the SEC take 10 years from now when it becomes possible. Clemson and FSU are the obvious. It's not clear after that - at all. That whole 'state' dynamic is no longer valid. You now need big fanbases.
You're 100% right about the ACC. People need to quit even talking about it. High power lawyers have been looking for a way out of the grant of rights agreements for over 2 years now and it's just not happening.

The question is, the Big 10 has had at least two opportunities to take Washington and Oregon already and turned them down. Can those schools add enough incremental revenue for the Big 10 to justify adding them? Apparently, the Big 10 thought the answer was no.

So now the question becomes, what happens to the PAC 12? And where do Oregon and Washington go if they can't get into the Big 10? You have to think the Big 12 will add more than just Colorado. But who? UConn, Arizona, Utah, Arizona St. have been mentioned. But you have to think they'd love to get Washington and Oregon if they can. Maybe Stanford and maybe Cal or San Diego St.? But how big can the Big 12 get? They're already at 13 with Colorado. You figure maybe 3-5 more max? It's just a huge mess right now.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I really hope UVA and Tech are added eventually. This is purely selfish as I now live in VA and will until I die barring something crazy. If we add them, I have two drivable opponents for football, basketball and baseball. Any of the NC schools, Duke/UNC/NC State/Wake also are drivable games for me so I'd be happy with them too.

Was really pissed that the NC State away game didn't happen.

Reactions: ChE1997

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
After 20, it becomes ridiculous. More than 20, it’s basically its own league.

I think the SEC needs to keep its regional identity if for no other reason than travel costs for non-revenue sports, so I would say you take four of the following in this order:
North Carolina (AAU)
Virginia (AAU)
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech (AAU)
NC State
Duke (AAU)
Virginia Tech
Miami (AAU)
Kansas (AAU)

and always cap it at 2 per state, so if Florida State gets in, then no Miami and if UNC and NC State get in, then no Duke. UNC and Duke, then no NC State.

of course, this would be closer to the end of the ACC grant of rights. I don’t think the SEC makes any moves until then.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
FSU, Clempson and UNC are the top three, after that the pickings get slim.

Get to 20 teams and stop.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Right. Unless the ACC votes to disband (currently unlikely), the SEC isn’t expanding again for another 8-10 years.

Until then:
Nobody in the Big Ten is coming.

Notre Dame is locked in to the ACC if it joins a conference in football.

Nobody in the Big 12, Sun Belt, AAC, MAC, MWC, or CUSA move the needle.

Nobody in the Pac makes sense geographically. Having Washington and Florida in the same conference would be a logistical nightmare.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I live in the heart of ACC country in Raleigh, NC. While NC State thinks UNC won’t leave them, there is no guarantee. Neither team cares about staying in conference with Duke or Wake. UNC would just play Duke non-con in basketball each year. I definitely see UNC and UVA leaving with Clemson and FSU when the time comes. That’s where we stop.

Eventually, I think there will be 3-20 team conferences. The Big12 adds Colorado, Arizona, ASU, and Utah in 2024 and VT, NC State, Miami, and Louisville as soon as the ACC collapses. The Big10 will grab Oregon, Washington, and Stanford when there’s no PAC12 exit fees. They then will pressure Notre Dame one last time before extending a bid to Cal.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This. I know we get a nicer stadium and weightrooms or whatever plus all the games on tv, but college football was honestly way more fun before it got popular.
I was 9 or 10 when SC and Arkansas joined. I have very little recollection of the league as a whole before that time. I knew I loved Mississippi State and went to a few games and watched a few when they would randomly be on television and mostly listened to Jack on the radio, but I had no real concept of the Southeastern Conference outside of the famous Chig Biggers painting:
1690478331613.jpeg

ETA: I call it “famous”. We’re both from Alcorn County, so it might have only been locally famous, but give us a break. We’ve got Roscoe Turner, this painting, and slugburgers and that’s about it.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Right. Unless the ACC votes to disband (currently unlikely), the SEC isn’t expanding again for another 8-10 years.

Until then:
Nobody in the Big Ten is coming.

Notre Dame is locked in to the ACC if it joins a conference in football.

Nobody in the Big 12, Sun Belt, AAC, MAC, MWC, or CUSA move the needle.

Nobody in the Pac makes sense geographically. Having Washington and Florida in the same conference would be a logistical nightmare.
Just imagine, it won't happen, imagine...

If you had Note Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, AND Alabama in the same conference...

Just imagine what delusional level of self-importance our fandom might collectively reach. Can one conference handle the collective pretentiousness of them all without exploding?

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and Dawgg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was 9 or 10 when SC and Arkansas joined. I have very little recollection of the league as a whole before that time. I knew I loved Mississippi State and went to a few games and watched a few when they would randomly be on television and mostly listened to Jack on the radio, but I had no real concept of the Southeastern Conference outside of the famous Chig Biggers painting:
View attachment 372415

ETA: I call it “famous”. We’re both from Alcorn County, so it might have only been locally famous, but give us a break. We’ve got Roscoe Turner, this painting, and slugburgers and that’s about it.
I always have loved that painting. I just finally noticed that Colonel Reb was sitting by himself at the end of the bench.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I think you have a schedule that maxes at 11-12 games before the postseason and if you get to 20+ teams in your league, your league is probably too big and should be split.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
I actually preferred the scheduling we got when the SEC was 10 teams & we played a 7 game conference schedule.

You played 5 permanent and rotated 2 teams every 2 years. In 1988, the conference played 4 total games vs FCS schools and 17 P5 games.

I know we will never go back, but I really enjoyed seeing all the quality OOC games.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
With 20 it's really two separate conferences. Even at 9 games you can't play everyone home and away every four years.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I actually preferred the scheduling we got when the SEC was 10 teams & we played a 7 game conference schedule.

You played 5 permanent and rotated 2 teams every 2 years. In 1988, the conference played 4 total games vs FCS schools and 17 P5 games.

I know we will never go back, but I really enjoyed seeing all the quality OOC games.
I used to but now honestly, the FCS teams have become more dangerous and the outcome of those, at least as a State fan, has more suspense than it use to.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I always have loved that painting. I just finally noticed that Colonel Reb was sitting by himself at the end of the bench.
I think it’s three things:
1. He’s trying to pretend that academically and financially, he’s closer to Commodore Vanderbilt than Davy Crockett. Pretentious even then.

2. He knew divisions and permanent cross division rivalries were coming and wanted to be able to point at this picture and say “see? Look how close our schools are. You can’t just break us up!”

3. Nobody likes him.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
I don't see the ACC or the PAC 12 surviving, and most here seem to be sold about adding Clemson and FSU to the SEC. I'd think that North Carolina, Virgina, Virginia Tech, and one of NC State, Pitt or Miami would be next on the list. That would put us at 22 or 24 if you took all of them.

I'd assume in that scenario, the Big 10 would take Washington, Cal, Stanford, and Utah. Maybe Oregon, Syracuse. Ga Tech or Duke...

Personally, I would like FSU, Clemson, Miami, North Carolina

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
You're 100% right about the ACC. People need to quit even talking about it. High power lawyers have been looking for a way out of the grant of rights agreements for over 2 years now and it's just not happening.

The question is, the Big 10 has had at least two opportunities to take Washington and Oregon already and turned them down. Can those schools add enough incremental revenue for the Big 10 to justify adding them? Apparently, the Big 10 thought the answer was no.

So now the question becomes, what happens to the PAC 12? And where do Oregon and Washington go if they can't get into the Big 10? You have to think the Big 12 will add more than just Colorado. But who? UConn, Arizona, Utah, Arizona St. have been mentioned. But you have to think they'd love to get Washington and Oregon if they can. Maybe Stanford and maybe Cal or San Diego St.? But how big can the Big 12 get? They're already at 13 with Colorado. You figure maybe 3-5 more max? It's just a huge mess right now.
We need to get the ACC’s contract lawyer to write all our NIL deals

Reactions: patdog

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

Sixteen is a good number. More than that and it becomes impossible to play all the schools within two years - something people have been clamoring for for years. It would be interesting to see if they go back to divisions again if the SEC expands to 24 schools. If the BigTen also expands to 24, I could see an AFC-NFC deal where the two leagues leave NCAA football and play the league champion in a college Super Bowl.

Reactions: ChE1997

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sixteen is a good number. More than that and it becomes impossible to play all the schools within two years - something people have been clamoring for for years. It would be interesting to see if they go back to divisions again if the SEC expands to 24 schools. If the BigTen also expands to 24, I could see an AFC-NFC deal where the two leagues leave NCAA football.
There’s no need for the SEC & Big 10 to leave the NCAA. They effectively control FBS football with the 2024 additions.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
After 20, it becomes ridiculous. More than 20, it’s basically its own league.

I think the SEC needs to keep its regional identity if for no other reason than travel costs for non-revenue sports, so I would say you take four of the following in this order:
North Carolina (AAU)
Virginia (AAU)
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech (AAU)
NC State
Duke (AAU)
Virginia Tech
Miami (AAU)
Kansas (AAU)

and always cap it at 2 per state, so if Florida State gets in, then no Miami and if UNC and NC State get in, then no Duke. UNC and Duke, then no NC State.

of course, this would be closer to the end of the ACC grant of rights. I don’t think the SEC makes any moves until then.
Uh oh, you're not one of those "AAU snobs" are you? Surprised you didn't add the USN&WR rankings.***

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Uh oh, you're not one of those "AAU snobs" are you? Surprised you didn't add the USN&WR rankings.***
No, I personally don’t care about it, but the Presidents of the colleges making the decisions on who joins their conferences do. The Big Ten has only added AAU schools (Nebraska lost AAU status after they joined). 3 of the 4 schools added by the SEC since 2011 are AAU.

Something like that could be the reason UVA gets in over VaTech or UNC/Duke gets in over NC State. That's why I included it.

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and patdog

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
No, I personally don’t care about it, but the Presidents of the colleges making the decisions on who joins their conferences do. The Big Ten has only added AAU schools (Nebraska lost AAU status after they joined). 3 of the 4 schools added by the SEC since 2011 are AAU.

Something like that could be the reason UVA gets in over VaTech or UNC/Duke gets in over NC State. That's why I included it.
Just kidding with you. I read a lot of national comment sections (The Athletic, etc) and when this subject or where your team or conference stacks up it invariably devolves into an academic slap fight. Just get a chuckle out of both sides bowing up with "rankings" and "Juco" when the subject is football quality.
Certainly understand the B10 AAU position but best I can tell, all invites going forward to about any conference will be what do you bring, brand/TV eyeballs wise, to your football games. I don't doubt how important it is to the B10 but if ND raises their hand they'll get a close enough pass. Certainly would tip UVA over Tech but seems the first question would be why either in this day and age.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
UNC and UVA (second) are going to be the battle royale between the SEC and B1G when ACC contract is up. UNC and UVA both have "brands" and in the two largest states that do NOT have a SEC or B1G school.

patdog

May 28, 2007
UNC and UVA (second) are going to be the battle royale between the SEC and B1G when ACC contract is up. UNC and UVA both have "brands" and in the two largest states that do NOT have a SEC or B1G school.
This is exactly what will happen. And I’m afraid the AAU membership will be what gives the Big 10 the upper hand & the SEC will miss out in the 2 biggest prizes & have to “settle” for some combination of FSU, Miami, NC State, VA Tech & Clemson.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
This is exactly what will happen. And I’m afraid the AAU membership will be what gives the Big 10 the upper hand & the SEC will miss out in the 2 biggest prizes & have to “settle” for some combination of FSU, Miami, NC State, VA Tech & Clemson.
You may be right. I think the SEC’s biggest selling point will be that UNC and UVA will never have a conference game on the west coast. Their furthest travel will be Texas and Oklahoma. The Big Ten won’t be able to make that same claim, especially if they grab up some combination of Washington, Cal, Stanford, and Oregon.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
The last people the conference bigwigs will consult for expansion sre the fans. This thread is meaningless from that prospective.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You may be right. I think the SEC’s biggest selling point will be that UNC and UVA will never have a conference game on the west coast. Their furthest travel will be Texas and Oklahoma. The Big Ten won’t be able to make that same claim, especially if they grab up some combination of Washington, Cal, Stanford, and Oregon.
I think that will turn out to be a bigger selling point than a lot of people realize. I think the Big 10 will have more trouble integrating USC & UCLA than they realize, unless they take 2-4 more PAC-12 schools. Which the clearly do not want to do.

Reactions: ronpolk and Dawgg

catvet

May 11, 2009
It is only a rumor, but I heard that UNC and UVa approached the SEC. This isn't about AAU. This is about cold hard cash.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
They keep adding teams, and eventually there would be a loss of control by the original members.
Then some of the lesser teams might get jettisoned.
Then it would be time to look over your shoulder.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Max size I'd like to see? 12. Send the Big 12 schools back to the Big 12.
I was coming here to say the same thing. If the SEC had to expand past the 12 we had, I’d be ok with NC State since they are a land grant school and the biggest school in the Carolina’s. Duke gives me dbag vibes and UNC does nothing for me in regards to football or being ‘southern’. And probably Clemson. Fuckk USCe. Bunch of preppy cocks. Then I’d kick Mississippi out and go to 11.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login