With the Colorado news, What is the max size you'd like for the SEC?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
My ideal would be to go to 24, by letting Missouri go to the Big 10, and adding 9 more teams:

You get 24 teams across 13 states. Each state has 2 teams and a good rivalry, except Arkansas and LSU. Part of me wishes that we could get some symmetry and also have Louisiana and Arkansas State in there, but I wanted to keep this realistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: trob115

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I prefer taking new territory in addition to some good schools. Right now, I'd like to see NCState and VaTech added to the SEC. After that.....maybe consider West Virginia & GaTech (give them a 2nd chance) or one of the 2 remaining Florida schools. A trip to Miami wouldn't be too bad for a little weekend game vacation. "Hey, whatcha' doing this weekend?.....Uh, gonna be hangin' out on South Beach before the MSU @ Miami game!"

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
My ideal would be to go to 24, by letting Missouri go to the Big 10, and adding 9 more teams:

You get 24 teams across 12 states. Each state has 2 teams and a good rivalry, except Arkansas and LSU. Part of me wishes that we could get some symmetry and also have Louisiana and Arkansas State in there, but I wanted to keep this realistic.
Mizzou was a good addition. They have TWICE the tv sets MSU and OM have combined and they have no rivals in their state. Plus, they are a team we can compete relatively well with. With OK and TX coming in, doubt we see too many MSU wins over their teams. Also, don't feel like we need OKState. OK dominates the state's TV eyeballs already.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Mizzou was a good addition. They have TWICE the tv sets MSU and OM have combined and they have no rivals in their state. Plus, they are a team we can compete relatively well with. With OK and TX coming in, doubt we see too many MSU wins over their teams. Also, don't feel like we need OKState. OK dominates the state's TV eyeballs already.
TV is dying. Very soon, it's all about how many people will be streaming, and once that day comes, it won't matter who's already in what state.

Missouri can stay or not stay, I don't really care, but I think their heart has always really been in the Big 10 and if they want to go, we should set them free.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
TV is dying. Very soon, it's all about how many people will be streaming, and once that day comes, it won't matter who's already in what state.

Missouri can stay or not stay, I don't really care, but I think their heart has always really been in the Big 10 and if they want to go, we should set them free.
I guess it's all relative. If Missouri has twice as many fans as Mississippi, then I would think they'll have twice the people streaming if tv dies as you say. I could see Mizzou going back to their old conference (Big12) rather than the B10. What's funny is Mizzou's wrestling team competes in the MAC right now because the SEC doesn't have wrestling. Now I hear their wrestling team will move back to the B12. Will the other sports follow? Hard to say when they look at that SEC paycheck they get every year.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
On the ESPN Raleigh radio station, the former UNC AD or president (can’t remember) said that before the grant of rights were signed they were favoring the SEC over the Big Ten.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

It does not matter if someone is watching espn on Comcast cable or if they are streaming. It’s all about how many eyeballs are watching the game.

As far as sec picking off ACC teams, Clemson and Florida st make obvious sense due to natural rivals and their prestige. After that, I’d go new markets. NC schools VA schools and possibly Maryland for the DC market.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It does not matter if someone is watching espn on Comcast cable or if they are streaming. It’s all about how many eyeballs are watching the game.

As far as sec picking off ACC teams, Clemson and Florida st make obvious sense due to natural rivals and their prestige. After that, I’d go new markets. NC schools VA schools and possibly Maryland for the DC market.
Maryland is in the Big 10 now, so that ship has sailed, otherwise I would have them as a big target. Personally, I'd rank the schools this way for who the SEC should pursue

1. North Carolina - huge state, academics, basketball, etc.
2. Florida State
3. Virginia
4. Clemson
5. NC State
6. Virginia Tech
7. Georgia Tech - really a defensive play to keep the Big 10 out of Atlanta
Oklahoma State
8. Louisville
Texas Tech
9. Duke - I'd bump them up if North Carolina insists they are a package deal
10. Miami - A lot of people put them higher, but I don't think their fanbase is anything worth picking up. I don't particularly want them in the Big 10 either, but I'd rather defend Georgia Tech than Miami if forced to pick.
West Virginia
11. Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
12. Wake Forest
13. Syracuse and Boston College

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Maryland is in the Big 10 now, so that ship has sailed, otherwise I would have them as a big target. Personally, I'd rank the schools this way for who the SEC should pursue

1. North Carolina - huge state, academics, basketball, etc.
2. Florida State
3. Virginia
4. Clemson
5. NC State
6. Virginia Tech
7. Georgia Tech - really a defensive play to keep the Big 10 out of Atlanta
Oklahoma State
8. Louisville
Texas Tech
9. Duke - I'd bump them up if North Carolina insists they are a package deal
10. Miami - A lot of people put them higher, but I don't think their fanbase is anything worth picking up. I don't particularly want them in the Big 10 either, but I'd rather defend Georgia Tech than Miami if forced to pick.
West Virginia
11. Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
12. Wake Forest
13. Syracuse and Boston College
Ha damn I forgot they went to the big 10. This realignment stuff is hard on me. Just now getting used to Colorado in the pac… guess I don’t need to worry about that anymore.

Reactions: patdog

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
After we encourage Missouri to go back to the Big 12 (giving them 14 teams) we pick up 3 ACC teams giving us 16........Ta Dah .

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I guess it's all relative. If Missouri has twice as many fans as Mississippi, then I would think they'll have twice the people streaming if tv dies as you say. I could see Mizzou going back to their old conference (Big12) rather than the B10. What's funny is Mizzou's wrestling team competes in the MAC right now because the SEC doesn't have wrestling. Now I hear their wrestling team will move back to the B12. Will the other sports follow? Hard to say when they look at that SEC paycheck they get every year.
Easy to say. Mizzou is never going to move any sports sponsored by the SEC to the Big 12 unless the SEC implodes or Mizzou somehow gets expelled from the SEC.

The Big 12 has a lot of randos in its wrestling league. That doesn’t mean anything.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Max size I'd like to see? 12. Send the Big 12 schools back to the Big 12.
As much as I enjoy watching State beat A&M I’m tired of hearing about them. They do jack squat with all that money and talent and it seems pointless to talk about them as though they are poised to make a run. Jimbo is a bum, they are soft, and everything about them is cringe.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

catvet

May 11, 2009
To the original question, I think 16 is enough, but doubt it will stay that way.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
16 just seems right as a max. If I had my way I'd trade Mizzou (WTF) for UNC, UVA, or VA Tech.

That said, conference shuffling makes me nervous. No, I'm not worried about getting kicked out of the SEC. I'm worried about the top 1/3 to 1/2 exiting and forming a new conference without us. No clue if that really makes sense in the total economics, I'm just rolling with my pessimism based on being relatively poor as **** in this whole deal.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

You get 24 teams across 13 states. Each state has 2 teams and a good rivalry, except Arkansas and LSU. Part of me wishes that we could get some symmetry and also have Louisiana and Arkansas State in there, but I wanted to keep this realistic.
This looks entertaining but if I had my way I'd drop a NC and a VA team and replace them with Tulane and Miami. Tulane for a bit of academics and a rotating NOLA road game. Same for Miami. Good school and would be a wildcard SEC Road trip (Miami/key west long weekend, YES). Rather have those road trips than Raleigh/Charlottesville. Both are fine towns, but would rather see Blacksburg for the fan base and Chapel Hill gets you a better game day town and a chance to see Raleigh if that's your preference.

No clue how this impacts economics. Just an ideal.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login