Women’s basketball coaching search

RogueBooster4you

Apr 9, 2013
Alright, if you’re John Cohen, who do you go with Doug Novak or, if he’s willing to come, FGCU’s Karl Smesko?

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Why Kim Mulkey thinks Mississippi State's Doug Novak deserves Coach of the Year award

“Coach of the Year,” Mulkey told Novak. “What you’re doing, buddy, you ought to get Coach of the Year.”

“Just put in a difficult situation,” Mulkey said. “Lose a player, leading scorer in the SEC, and he keeps winning. He’s getting the most out of his team based upon their talents. Much respect. Much respect.”

https://news.yahoo.com/why-kim-mulkey-thinks-mississippi-042014620.html?fr=sychp_catchall

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Smesko turned down for USCw among others who were going to double his salary. Fort Myers is a pretty good place to live as well. I don’t see Cohen paying the $ for Smesko to even consider it. People talk about Novak not having recruiting connections. You can hire assistants with recruiting connections. Johnnie Harris was Vic’s recruiter.
The unknown is if Novak really wants the job.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
There's no question Smesko would be a home run hire, and someone we should bring in if he wants the job. But is it really likely that he'd want the job when he's surely had plenty of chances to leave FGCU?

yjnkdawg

Sep 6, 2013
Smesko turned down for USCw among others who were going to double his salary. Fort Myers is a pretty good place to live as well. I don’t see Cohen paying the $ for Smesko to even consider it. People talk about Novak not having recruiting connections. You can hire assistants with recruiting connections. Johnnie Harris was Vic’s recruiter.

There is no unknown. He wants the job.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Whoever it is, it needs to be done expeditiously and hopefully the new coach can sign some of the game uncommitteds.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Alright, if you’re John Cohen, who do you go with Doug Novak or, if he’s willing to come, FGCU’s Karl Smesko?

Novak, we already have - assuming he wants the job; Cohen, IMHO, should take the easy path on this one and concentrate his energies on the next men's hire, which will be HUGE!!

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
I saw Novak today walking to the Dude, I told him I hope he gets the job as he has done a great job and deserves it, He said “I Hope I Get It As Well!

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I saw Novak today walking to the Dude, I told him I hope he gets the job as he has done a great job and deserves it, He said “I Hope I Get It As Well!

Well I guess that settles it. Give the man the job!

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012

Coach Smesko has communicated with different programs over the years such as Illinois and Indiana but was not offered the job. USC even offered two other coaches before approaching him. He runs an offense similar to Arkansas that relies on three pointers. He may be successful here but it is far from a sure thing.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
He may be successful here but it is far from a sure thing.

There's never going to be a "sure thing," but a guy who has won 93% of his conference games since jumping up to D1 from D2 and sustained it for 15 years would be a grand slam hire.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
How do you know this? He has surely had plenty of chances to jump to a Power 5 school before. What can we offer him that no one else has?

He wants to coach at a P5 school that's proven they can compete for a title. He's been talking to us. He shut down others pretty quickly in the process.
But there's a push for Novak too. Just not sure how big it is.

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
QuaoarsKing said:
There's never going to be a "sure thing," but a guy who has won 93% of his conference games since jumping up to D1 from D2 and sustained it for 15 years would be a grand slam hire.
And there it is: the kiss of death.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login