Women's Golf Begins Regional Play

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
State finishes the first round 283 (-5). Tied with Ole Miss and Oregon State for third. Wake Forest (regional host) shot 277 on their home course. Tennessee shot a 278 but they have the overall leaded who shot -7. She won't do that again.

Our No. 5 player led the way at -3. Julia and Avery carded -1. Chiara shot even. This was a good round.

We struggled with the Par 3s (3.15, +3) but lit up the Par 4s (4.02, +1). We were -5 on the Par 5s, but most teams shot well on the long holes so we didn't gain as much ground as we normally would. We had 16 birdies and 1 eagle.

Two more rounds of stroke play. Need to finish top five to advance to nationals. Texas is two strokes back and very very good, but after that, there is a huge gap. UCF is eight strokes behind Texas.

Last edited:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
State finishes the first round 283 (-5). Tied with Ole Miss and Oregon State for third. Wake Forest (regional host) shot 277 on their home course. Tennessee shot a 278 but they have the overall leaded who shot -7. She won't do that again.

Our No. 5 player led the way at -3. Julia and Avery carded -1. Chiara shot even. This was a good round.

Two more rounds of stroke play. Need to finish top five to advance to nationals. Texas is two strokes back and very very good, but after that, there is a huge gap. UCF is eight strokes behind Texas.
Need the Spaniard to do what she does.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Day 2

We just made the turn and we are tied for fourth with Tennessee, shooting even so far on the day. We are four strokes behind Ole Miss for third and seven strokes ahead of Oregon State for the cut.

Julia is having a monster day. She is -4 on the day. Surapa is -2 on the day. They are both tied for fourth individually. Our other three golfers are on the + side of par but we are doing fine. The goal here is to advance. Wake Forest is running away with the regional on their home course.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Without a mathematically improbable comeback by both UNT and UCF, we should be safely in 4th and advancing.

Yep. We are seven strokes ahead of both North Texas and Oregon State, and 15 strokes ahead of UCF.

Our No. 5 golfer is in 4th place individually after another good day. Some courses just work out for you.

We lead the field in eagles and are 5th in birdies. We're playing well. Need to finish strong tomorrow.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yep. We are seven strokes ahead of both North Texas and Oregon State, and 15 strokes ahead of UCF.

Our No. 5 golfer is in 4th place individually after another good day. Some courses just work out for you.

We lead the field in eagles and are 5th in birdies. We're playing well. Need to finish strong tomorrow.
Crap. I thought today was the last day. I jinxed us. I’m sorry girls.

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
It wasn't out best day either. I expect us to close strong. Where is the national championship this year?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It wasn't out best day either. I expect us to close strong. Where is the national championship this year?
Carlsbad, California... which seems kind of weird since Texas is the 'host' team.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So, while looking up the location of this year's national championship of women's golf, I noticed that Tulsa's 1988 championship was vacated. I was curious why that was the case and it turns out that their track and field programs had cheated so badly in the 1980's that the NCAA punished ALL of their athletics programs. They vacated a freaking national championship for the women's golf team (as well as an individual national championship for Melissa McNamara) and banned all sports from postseason play for one season and put them all on probation for 3 years.

I don't know if it's the craziest decision I've ever seen the NCAA hand down, but it has to be up there.

• Wow
Reactions: MSUDOG24

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
So, while looking up the location of this year's national championship of women's golf, I noticed that Tulsa's 1988 championship was vacated. I was curious why that was the case and it turns out that their track and field programs had cheated so badly in the 1980's that the NCAA punished ALL of their athletics programs. They vacated a freaking national championship for the women's golf team (as well as an individual national championship for Melissa McNamara) and banned all sports from postseason play for one season and put them all on probation for 3 years.

I don't know if it's the craziest decision I've ever seen the NCAA hand down, but it has to be up there.

That’s bullshít. “They did terrible violations in track, let’s punish everyone.”

Reactions: Dawgg

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

This should be corrected similarly to the Reggie Bush situation.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
It's in Carlsbad at the Omni La Costa. We are dangerous if we can get to match play.
Have played there. Not the toughest track out there… The day I played Tiger was 5 holes ahead of us. And the turf ain’t Bermuda. Ball doesn’t sit up very well in the fairways and the rough won’t be very thick.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Leaders are om the course for final day of regionals.

Live scoring: https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=29163

We are currently in fourth. 4 strokes ahead of 6th. Top 5 advance

Teams with a legit chance of advancing today:

1. Wake Forest -17 (home course)
2. Texas -13
3. Ole Miss -10
4. State -6
T5. Tennessee -2
T5 North Texas -2
7. Oregon State +2

UCF is 8th and 9 strokes behind the Beavers. So unless there is an epic collapse, these seven are going for five spots. If we shoot even today we should make it.

Individually, Surapa is third and two strokes off the regional title. Julia is 5th and two strokes behind her. We are the only team with two individuals in the top 5. Wake Forest has two in the top 10. Wake is raking - their four top golfers are all in the top 16.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Oregon State is having a really good day. We’re tied for 4th with them going into holes 10-14. We’re both up 7 strokes on Tennessee, who, along with UNT, is having a bad day.

Wake Forest, Ole Miss, and Texas have all had good days and will probably finish 15-20 strokes up on the rest of the field.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
We are +1 and on holes 11-15. Not our best showing, but should be enough to advance. We are 8 strokes ahead of the cut line with essentially 21 individual holes to play against Tennessee. We are nearing meltdown vs. tear range for us not to advance.

17. Just as I hit enter, Tennessee made up 2 strokes on us. We are six strokes ahead for the last spot at nationals.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
We are +1 and on holes 11-15. Not our best showing, but should be enough to advance. We are 8 strokes ahead of the cut line with essentially 21 individual holes to play against Tennessee. We are nearing meltdown vs. tear range for us not to advance.

17. Just as I hit enter, Tennessee made up 2 strokes on us. We are six strokes ahead for the last spot at nationals.
Looks like we made it up. This is more stressful stat refreshing than I expected.

Are you watching it somewhere or just refreshing stats like me?

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Looks like we made it up. This is more stressful stat refreshing than I expected.

Are you watching it somewhere or just refreshing stats like me?
Just watching the live stats. Regionals do not have coverage. Nationals will.

Not to get ahead of ourselves (8 strokes ahead of cut with 18 to play) but the nationals format is different.

30 teams qualify. They play three rounds.
The top 15 after three rounds play a fourth round
Scores then reset and the top 8 play a tournament match play

We are really good in match play if we can get there. The last two seasons we are 5-1 in SEC match play, we lost the SEC championship two years ago in three holes of OT and won it this year.

Last year, we won the NCAA Regional at Indiana, made the first cut, but finished 13th, just five strokes out of advancing to match play.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Now up 9 with 17 to go. Getting tough for Tennessee, although Oregon State has cooled off and is between us.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Looks like we finish 4th at 3 under and Tennessee finishes 6th at 3 over. Unless some teams start nailing multiple hole in ones, I think we’re in.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
We are mathematically in. Tennessee needs Oregon State to go +3 over seven holes to force a playoff. What a brutal last two rounds for the Vols. -10 on Day 1, +6 and +7 to finish.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
South Carolina’s players play par for the remaining holes and qualify for nationals.