Women's soccer out of world cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Lost to Sweden 0 to 0 in penalty kicks. For population reference, Sweden is roughly the land size of one US State, California. USA has 22 times the population of Sweden.

Maybe next time focus on the game and not attention seeking behavior.

Yes, Rapinoe missed her penalty kick.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Great News!
Sweden Flag Sport GIF by xponentialdesign
o
The Swedish Bikini Team is undisputed World Champs as well!

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
And yet USA was clearly the more talented team but still lost. Distracted.
How are they distracted? All the kneeling bullshlt was in 2016 and guess what? They won the World Cup in 2019. Can I ask, who do you cheer for in sports? I assume State, so we have two championships in 300 years of combined sports. Meanwhile USWNT has 50% of all the championships and lost in the sweet sixteen.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Yet, they get to take home half of their putrid share, and the men's share. The men earned 13M while the women earned around 2M, but in the name of communism and equity it gets split amongst the two teams. The men were idiots for signing that. (Even though they pretty much had to or they'd been cancelled by the liberal left and state controlled media)

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
And yet USA was clearly the more talented team but still lost. Distracted.
Did you wake up and watch the game? There were games this tournament where they looked lethargic, distracted, and uncoordinated, but this morning wasn’t one of those times. They were on the attack most of the game and ran into a tough team with a GK playing out of her mind. Again, they lost to the highest ranked team left in the tournament.

Some of yall have been waiting over a decade for this team to fail and you finally got your wish this morning. Congratulations, I guess.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think loyd summed it up the other day after they tied. The team now cares too much about social media, cameras, social justice and other bs than being the best at their sport. They play a damn game for a living. All these professional athletes need to be reminded of that. They all get paid well yes even the women to do what they do. They don't like it, they can go work at the sack and save.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Did you wake up and watch the game? There were games this tournament where they looked lethargic, distracted, and uncoordinated, but this morning wasn’t one of those times. They were on the attack most of the game and ran into a tough team with a GK playing out of her mind. Again, they lost to the highest ranked team left in the tournament.

Some of yall have been waiting over a decade for this team to fail and you finally got your wish this morning. Congratulations, I guess.
Some of us weren't waiting for them to fail, but rather waiting for them to play like they usually do which is very well on the world stage. The one thing we count on was the women's soccer team competing in the World Cup. They may have played this game really well but they went over 230 minutes without a goal. I watch this team beat the crap out of everybody four years ago. This is not the quality of the team we have been used to for the last two decades. Paint it over all you want. I think it's just sad.

At least we are getting closer to the kick off for college football.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yet, they get to take home half of their putrid share, and the men's share. The men earned 13M while the women earned around 2M, but in the name of communism and equity it gets split amongst the two teams. The men were idiots for signing that. (Even though they pretty much had to or they'd been cancelled by the liberal left and state controlled media)
You’re a State fan right? Remind me again how SEC revenue sharing works? Is it good for us? Typical MS thought process. I hate entitlements!!! Meanwhile sucking off the entitlement teet.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Some of us weren't waiting for them to fail, but rather waiting for them to play like they usually do which is very well on the world stage. The one thing we count on was the women's soccer team competing in the World Cup. They may have played this game really well but they went over 230 minutes without a goal. I watch this team beat the crap out of everybody four years ago. This is not the quality of the team we have been used to for the last two decades. Paint it over all you want. I think it's just sad.

It’s funny, someone talked about the team and leadership gap. I thought to myself, is this a Lemonis coached team? Obviously worlds apart in talent but the leadership issue seems parallel.

Reactions: Dawgg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Solid GK. They looked good today. Just couldn't finish. Distracted.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It’s funny, someone talked about the team and leadership gap. I thought to myself, is this a Lemonis coached team? Obviously worlds apart in talent but the leadership issue seems parallel.
I honestly think it was coaching. You can see they have talent but they did not have anything remotely that looked like the organization of a top-notch team on the field until last night. Then it was a little late

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I just want to point out that Americans rooting against a team that represents USA because they hold a different opinion and are allowed to voice it is the definition of irony and the most American thing ever at the same time.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

You’re not wrong and to be clear, I think they’ve had a bad tournament and have been critical of their other games. I just don’t think this morning’s game is an example of one of those bad games. I also don’t think there’s a massive talent gap between the US and Sweden. There were plenty here, myself included, that thought they might get speedbagged by Sweden, but they didn’t.

But you’re right, this was disappointing all the way around.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

“I’m really happy for us that we went out like that, playing the way we did [against Sweden], having a ton of joy on the ball,” she told Fox Sports after the game. “This is like a sick joke for me personally, this is a dark comedy that I missed a penalty. This is the balance to the beautiful side of the game.” - Rapinoe after the season ending World Cup loss

What month is mental health awareness month again?

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I just want to point out that Americans rooting against a team that represents USA because they hold a different opinion and are allowed to voice it is the definition of irony and the most American thing ever at the same time.
That's really where we are in this country today. Some just can't hold different opinions, it's part of their identity so better that Sweden or the Netherlands or some other country with much larger welfare states and socialized healthcare win. But, some of the gals on this team seem to think that way too about other Americans.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The most American thing to me would be if you're not proud of your country, don't "represent" it .

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Game of inches. Lost on this one crossing the line. Ouch.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Note that our team is almost certainly more politically conservative than Sweden's team, and probably the most politically conservative team in the entire 2023 World Cup.

Reactions: ckDOG and mcdawg22

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You’re not wrong and to be clear, I think they’ve had a bad tournament and have been critical of their other games. I just don’t think this morning’s game is an example of one of those bad games. I also don’t think there’s a massive talent gap between the US and Sweden. There were plenty here, myself included, that thought they might get speedbagged by Sweden, but they didn’t.

But you’re right, this was disappointing all the way around.
The world, well, a small part of it, has caught up. We used to invest so much more time and money on women's soccer than anyone else and it showed. I don't think Americans realize how much more we supported women's soccer and how little the rest of the world once cared about that sport. Things have changed. Women elsewhere, well not Latin America just yet although there is a powerful feminist movement there, have figured out that if you demand something long enough and present yourself as a victim or propose a policy in terms of its fairness, men and women in power will give you most of want you want. Middle and upper class dads love their daughters and support women's sports so we ask government to do something about it. Anyway, this was the best game the US played so far but it's a team that just has trouble scoring. Mallory Swanson's injury per-WC was a major loss.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Note that our team is almost certainly more politically conservative than Sweden's team, and probably the most politically conservative team in the entire 2023 World Cup.
Maybe liberals in America should notice that American conservatives are also among the most liberal people in the world. Rapinoe, and maybe some others, support allowing transwomen, biological men, to play on women's teams. I'm not sure how many Swedish players support this. A lot of women who play sports do realize that talented biological men are just better athletes and don't pretend to believe otherwise. Some may be silent about it because the moral scolds might come after them.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They chose to be vocally political, and that's fine. But when you make that choice you shouldn't be upset when people choose to vocally disagree with you. You also shouldn't be upset when people that disagree with you celebrate when you fail at your real job. Free speech works both ways.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

“I’m really happy for us that we went out like that, playing the way we did [against Sweden], having a ton of joy on the ball,” she told Fox Sports after the game. “This is like a sick joke for me personally, this is a dark comedy that I missed a penalty. This is the balance to the beautiful side of the game.” - Rapinoe after the season ending World Cup loss

What month is mental health awareness month again?

It probably missed the penalty kick on purpose

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That's really where we are in this country today. Some just can't hold different opinions, it's part of their identity so better that Sweden or the Netherlands or some other country with much larger welfare states and socialized healthcare win. But, some of the gals on this team seem to think that way too about other Americans.
And some (not only this team or sport) just can't grasp the fact that we don't give a flying 17 about their life choices any more than they care about mine. Just play the damn game and shut up

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
They chose to be vocally political, and that's fine. But when you make that choice you shouldn't be upset when people choose to vocally disagree with you. You also shouldn't be upset when people that disagree with you celebrate when you fail at your real job. Free speech works both ways.
I think that's a big part of it. Rapinoe didn't just express opinions about some things, trans women in sports, equal pay, she morally denounced others who disagreed. It's the self-righteousness and absolute moral certainties that bother people. As a Catholic student at State who thought homosexuals should be treated with equality under the law and who enjoyed the occaissional beer, and by occaisional I mean frequent, there were times when some fellow Christians judged me as being morally inferior or a bad Christian. I didn't believe them, of course, but they were a bit irritating.

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Maybe it's just a difference in liberals and conservatives, but I have never "celebrated" when a conservative failed at their real job, especially if it's a plyer for a team I like. It's something that would never even occur to me.

I remember Nick Fitzgerald supporting Trump back in 2016 (not sure if he does today or not). Can you imagine the reaction if I'd posted on here celebrating a Mississippi State loss for that reason? I would deserve every dragging I got and more.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Maybe liberals in America should notice that American conservatives are also among the most liberal people in the world. Rapinoe, and maybe some others, support allowing transwomen, biological men, to play on women's teams. I'm not sure how many Swedish players support this. A lot of women who play sports do realize that talented biological men are just better athletes and don't pretend to believe otherwise. Some may be silent about it because the moral scolds might come after them.
The trans sports issue is dead. Who cares anymore? The NCAA, Olympics, all relevant major international sports bodies have all said no transwomen are allowed to play (technically, the NCAA and Olympics deferred to the international organizations). Even Joe Biden has signed off on allowing high schools to do it (AOC had a pretty big meltdown over that one, but she got over it). You've got to update your grievances to 2023.

Reactions: ckDOG and Dawgg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The trans sports issue is dead. Who cares anymore? The NCAA, Olympics, all relevant major international sports bodies have all said no transwomen are allowed to play (technically, the NCAA and Olympics deferred to the international organizations). Even Joe Biden has signed off on allowing high schools to do it (AOC had a pretty big meltdown over that one, but she got over it). You've got to update your grievances to 2023.
It's not dead but those international organizations have reached decisions and I suspect the U.S. will comply eventually. The threat of litigation and elections and the extremism of transactivists play a role it. Plus, it's an issue of fairness. But, Rapinoe just the other day voiced her support. And no issue is truly dead.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Maybe it's just a difference in liberals and conservatives, but I have never "celebrated" when a conservative failed at their real job, especially if it's a plyer for a team I like. It's something that would never even occur to me.

I remember Nick Fitzgerald supporting Trump back in 2016 (not sure if he does today or not). Can you imagine the reaction if I'd posted on here celebrating a Mississippi State loss for that reason? I would deserve every dragging I got and more.
How, when and where did Fitzgerald express his "support" for Trump ?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It's not dead but those international organizations have reached decisions and I suspect the U.S. will comply eventually. The threat of litigation and elections and the extremism of transactivists play a role it. Plus, it's an issue of fairness. But, Rapinoe just the other day voiced her support. And no issue is truly dead.
The US basically already has complied. Maybe some random high schools will allow it for local matches if the community supports it, but we're never going to see one competing for a national championship again.

It never really deserved even a sliver of the national attention it got - there are literally less than 10 prominent examples of it being an issue anywhere in American - but now it doesn't deserve even 0.0001% of the focus people continue to put on it even after the NCAA, Olympic, and Biden decisions.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
How are they distracted? All the kneeling bullshlt was in 2016 and guess what? They won the World Cup in 2019. Can I ask, who do you cheer for in sports? I assume State, so we have two championships in 300 years of combined sports. Meanwhile USWNT has 50% of all the championships and lost in the sweet sixteen.
We have 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login