Wonder what Jake Mangum thinks about our situation now?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Serious question. He predicted Lemonis would win us a NC, and he was right. Think he may be having some doubts about him now, or thinking it is too soon to tell? I can't imagine him saying anything publicly that might undermine Coach Lemonis, but Jake is a winner and he loves MSU baseball as much or more than anyone ever has.

I'm assuming it makes him sick to his stomach to see how just plain bad we have gotten, and in such a short time.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Serious question. He predicted Lemonis would win us a NC, and he was right. Think he may be having some doubts about him now, or thinking it is too soon to tell? I can't imagine him saying anything publicly that might undermine Coach Lemonis, but Jake is a winner and he loves MSU baseball as much or more than anyone ever has.

I'm assuming it makes him sick to his stomach to see how just plain bad we have gotten, and in such a short time.
I wish we could give him $3MM a year to coach us.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
I want Jake involved in this program if/when his MLB dream is over.
He would not put up with this.

Heck, Big Hit Mack is on campus all the time these days. He would be great to work with these guys.

Reactions: Susanp62 and patdog

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Jake has said to Lemonis “one of these days, I want your job”. He said this on a Coleman/Lowery interview. He wouldn’t say a word about the season, publicly.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The winner of the SPS Bracket Challenge gets to manage the baseball team next year. Could you imagine the meltdown when Coach Cooterpoot loses his first SEC series.

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The current decision makers don't seem to be getting the job done so perhaps we could use some "off the wall" adjustments
You mean the AD who was hired less than 6 months ago who is being tasked with possibly firing the first coach to win a natty for us less than 2 years ago?

don’t quit your day job please.

Reactions: msstatelp1

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The current decision makers don't seem to be getting the job done so perhaps we could use some "off the wall" adjustments.
Angry Fox Tv GIF by Hell's Kitchen

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It’s baffling for sure. Mangum was an unbelievable player here but the hard on that some grown men on this board have for him is crazy.
The hard on that grown men have thinking any good player should be made a coach is amazing.

These people may turn out to be the next sabans or skip bertmans but probability says they won’t even be above average coaches.

We’ve heard:

fred smoot
Anthony dixon
Jake mangum
Logan tanner

I could name another 10 to 20 easy.

it’s absurd.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The hard on that grown men have thinking any good player should be made a coach is amazing.

These people may turn out to be the next sabans or skip bertmans but probability says they won’t even be above average coaches.

We’ve heard:

fred smoot
Anthony dixon
Jake mangum
Logan tanner

it’s absurd.
Of all of those, the one I would take seriously if he even wanted to would be Mangum. That guy is going to be successful at whatever he chooses to do after his baseball career is over. I don't know that he would choose coaching, but if he does, he will be a successful coach.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Of all of those, the one I would take seriously if he even wanted to would be Mangum. That guy is going to be successful at whatever he chooses to do after his baseball career is over. I don't know that he would choose coaching, but if he does, he will be a successful coach.

I don’t know….probably shouldn’t be going into any hunting or enviromental awareness career paths.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008

We’ve heard:

fred smoot
Anthony dixon
Jake mangum
Logan tanner

it’s absurd.
Buck Showalter begs to differ. So does Dione Sanders.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It’s baffling for sure. Mangum was an unbelievable player here but the hard on that some grown men on this board have for him is crazy.
The unbelievable effort he put into the game, enthusiasm that was so contagious to the rest of the players, and how much he Loved playing for STATE always gives me a hard on when he's thought of or discussed.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

We’ve heard:

fred smoot
Anthony dixon
Jake mangum
Logan tanner

it’s absurd.
Not positive, but I assumed people asking for Smoot and Dixon were wanting them for recruiting and energy, not because they just assumed they'd be good at x's and o's or even the technical aspects of teaching their positions. Baseball is different, but it's not crazy to take a flyer on a person like Smoot or Dixon at a position coach in football because of recruiting. Realistically, it's still going to look like the Bumphis route, b/c he has shown he knows what it takes and is serious about it and learned under some good coaches. But it wouldn't strike me as crazy at all if somebody like Dixon could convince a head coach that he has learned enough from different coaches in the NFL that he is ready for a RB coach position at a P5 school.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
agree. Way too many think Jake Mangum created MSU baseball. In the end he'll be given way too much credit for what probably isnt even a top 10 career in terms of baseball players at MSU considering he came in as a 20 year old and stayed 4 years.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
agree. Way too many think Jake Mangum created MSU baseball. In the end he'll be given way too much credit for what probably isnt even a top 10 career in terms of baseball players at MSU considering he came in as a 20 year old and stayed 4 years.
I don’t know that id say that. I think you’d be hard pressed to find 10 players that had a better career than him here. When you take in account his stats along with the success of the teams he played on, I’d definitely put him in the top 10. I wish we had several players just like him on this team now.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
top 10? no way. not even close. people are being blinded by his rah rah attitude and all that. Feel free to look up the career stats or season stats. He has the most at-bats, games, etc in the history of the program, but he's only in the top 10 and barely in some in like 3-4 categories.

Off top of my head-- Palmerio, Clark are obvious-- Pete Young, Brantley, DuBose, Holder, Richard Lee, BJ Wallace, thats without even looking stuff up.

Magnum wasnt even the best player on any team he played on in his years at State. Also remember it wasnt until he left that we actually won the dang thing.

He was a very good player. Would love to have him on any team, But like mentioned above he gets treated like he made MSU baseball. If im building a team, he's not in my top 7-8 and probably not in my top 10.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
top 10? no way. not even close. people are being blinded by his rah rah attitude and all that. Feel free to look up the career stats or season stats. He has the most at-bats, games, etc in the history of the program, but he's only in the top 10 and barely in some in like 3-4 categories.

Off top of my head-- Palmerio, Clark are obvious-- Pete Young, Brantley, DuBose, Holder, Richard Lee, BJ Wallace, thats without even looking stuff up.

Magnum wasnt even the best player on any team he played on in his years at State. Also remember it wasnt until he left that we actually won the dang thing.

He was a very good player. Would love to have him on any team, But like mentioned above he gets treated like he made MSU baseball. If im building a team, he's not in my top 7-8 and probably not in my top 10.

Well yeah if you’re going to include a half dozen pitchers on your list, maybe he’s not on the Top 10 list. But you can’t really compare pitchers and position players. Those should be completely separate Top 10 lists.

And if you are building a team, you’re going to need a center fielder. If you can think of one better than Mangum, I’d be curious to know who it is.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Again im not saying Mangum isnt a good player. Saying he's more like the Pete Rose of MSU baseball in my mind. Rose is the hit king, great player, etc. But no one really talks about him being the great hitter of all time nor do they talk about him being the best player of all time. Rose played until he was like 45, logged many more seasons that other hitters.

Jake played the game the right way, hustled, all that stuff.... he also stayed 4 years. Mainly due to the fact that the pro scouts saw the same thing I do.. a good player.. but not a great one.

There is a reason why Jake has more games and more at-bats than anyone in MSU history.. by like 100 at-bats. Yet isnt the top 5 in any category but hits and doubles. He was good at what he did, but others were better overall playesr without question.

As for CFers-- Magnum might be the best CF of all time. I could make a pretty good arguement for someone like Jody Hurst and if Rowdy Jordan came back for his senior season, all his numbers would probably eclipse Mangums as well.

• Sad

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There is a reason why Jake has more games and more at-bats than anyone in MSU history.. by like 100 at-bats. Yet isnt the top 5 in any category but hits and doubles. He was good at what he did, but others were better overall playesr without question.

As for CFers-- Magnum might be the best CF of all time. I could make a pretty good arguement for someone like Jody Hurst and if Rowdy Jordan came back for his senior season, all his numbers would probably eclipse Mangums as well.

Well he’s a lot more than Top 5 in hits and doubles, he’s Top 1 in both. That’s a pretty big deal for a lead-off hitter. And in spite of more games, more AB’s, etc., he still averaged more hits per game than everyone else on the career Top 10 list, and about the same number of doubles per game. Also, he was 7th in career batting average.

Another thing you’ll quickly notice is that most of his contemporaries on the career Top 10 lists were from the atomic bat era in the 80’s and early 90’s. His numbers are probably a good bit higher yet if he played in those times.

He’s certainly no Palmeiro, Clark, etc. in terms of talent, but its hard to imagine that he wouldn’t be in the lineup and in the field if you’re putting together a theoretical All-MSU team.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Mike Kelly was a better Centerfielder and a great leadoff hitter.

Also funny how Chris Maloney's name never comes up. He managed a few championship teams in the minors. He has major league coaching experience. He has been in baseball coaching for quite a few years . No idea if he is interested, but I would ask him.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I'd be interested in hearing @Bulldog Bruce 's opinion as a former player who knows what it looks like inside a program.
It sure doesn't look good for the current staff. I have made myself pretty clear on the hitting over the past few years. I have not been impressed with the approach overall. I think these guys are taught to be too patient at the plate. They all seem to be taught the same instead of being taught what might be best for them individually. You know I think there has been some exceptional talent not achieving at the level they should. I do not see adjustments even though the production indicates there should be some. You do know the definition of insanity.

The pitching I just don't get and neither does the great pitchers from my days at MSU. Strikes shouldn't be that hard to throw. You shouldn't be scared to throw them to any batter and our current pitchers think every batter is Barry Bonds.

Last edited:

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
It sure doesn't look good for the current staff. I have made myself pretty clear on the hitting over the past few years. I have not been impressed with the approach overall. I think these guys are taught to be too patient at the plate. They all seem to be taught the same instead of being taught what might be best for them individually. You know I think there has been some exceptional talent not achieving at the level they should. I do not see adjustments even though the production indicates there should be some. You do know the definition of insanity.

The pitching I just don't get and neither does the great pitchers from my days at MSU. Strikes shouldn't be that hard to throw. You shouldn't be scared to throw them to any batter and our current pitchers think every batter is Barry Bonds.
I agree. Hell, Id much rather have hits against us with balls thrown over the plate. Walks almost always burn you. At least if theyre hitting the ball, maybe we catch them lol. Cant catch a walk.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Well he’s a lot more than Top 5 in hits and doubles, he’s Top 1 in both. That’s a pretty big deal for a lead-off hitter. And in spite of more games, more AB’s, etc., he still averaged more hits per game than everyone else on the career Top 10 list, and about the same number of doubles per game. Also, he was 7th in career batting average.

Another thing you’ll quickly notice is that most of his contemporaries on the career Top 10 lists were from the atomic bat era in the 80’s and early 90’s. His numbers are probably a good bit higher yet if he played in those times.

He’s certainly no Palmeiro, Clark, etc. in terms of talent, but its hard to imagine that he wouldn’t be in the lineup and in the field if you’re putting together a theoretical All-MSU team.
Again not arguing he isn’t a good player, but not what this board makes him out to be.

had Jake left after his junior season, which again most players do these days that are elite players. He’s not in the top 10 in any category.

wonder what the numbers of guys like foscue, Jordan, Adam piatt, had they stayed 4 years along with a handful of others

Jake was 20 years old his freshman season, that’s year older than should be, and stayed 4 seasons. He was a very good player. A player anyone would love to have on their team. But he was never the best player on any team he played on here, and the team won the natty the year he left. I stand by what I said. Hell be given a way too much credit for the success of the program, and shouldn’t be on the MSU Mount Rushmore. There are quite a few people more deserving than him imo.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We must get this guy on retainer immediately, the only hope for excellence

1679433960474.png

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
It sure doesn't look good for the current staff. I have made myself pretty clear on the hitting over the past few years. I have not been impressed with the approach overall. I think these guys are taught to be too patient at the plate.

Agreed, it’s like the approach 1-9 is you are a leadoff guy - work the count

My oldest is leading off for school ball now for first time in his life and it’s totally changed his aggressive approach - he gone from seeing 2.9 pitches per PA to 4.1 now

its driving me bonkers seeing him this patient

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I dont disagree but there are morons who really think he could be a head coach at msu right now.

that’s idiotic.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Not positive, but I assumed people asking for Smoot and Dixon were wanting them for recruiting and energy, not because they just assumed they'd be good at x's and o's or even the technical aspects of teaching their positions. Baseball is different, but it's not crazy to take a flyer on a person like Smoot or Dixon at a position coach in football because of recruiting. Realistically, it's still going to look like the Bumphis route, b/c he has shown he knows what it takes and is serious about it and learned under some good coaches. But it wouldn't strike me as crazy at all if somebody like Dixon could convince a head coach that he has learned enough from different coaches in the NFL that he is ready for a RB coach position at a P5 school.
Recruiting or not. You don’t just take a guy at the sec level with zero experience.

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
Shiiit. Not top 10? You gotta be 17ing joking. This is as dumb as tired putting in for pitching coach. No matter how many games he played he hit .357. He hit over .400 as a frosh. He got drafted 3 times. Dam this board with this BS. Finished his career ranked No. 4 all-time in NCAA history with 383 hits...Collected 112 multi-hit games...Hit leadoff in 217 career games, posting a hit in 69 of those (31.7%)...Became the first MSU baseball student-athlete to register multiple 100-hit seasons...One of just four SEC baseball student-athletes with back-to-back 100-hit seasons...Owned a hit in 202 of 243 games started (83.1%), 210 of 258 games with at least one plate appearances (81.3%) and 210 of 262 games played (80.1%)...Reached base in 219 of 243 games started (90.1%), 229 of 258 games with at least one plate appearances (88.7%) and 229 of 262 games played (87.4%)...Owns Mississippi State’s all-time hits record (383), surpassing Jeffrey Rea (335; 2004-07) with his third hit of the series opener at Tennessee (4/5/19)...Became the Southeastern Conference’s all-time hits leader with his second hit in the middle game of a series versus Georgia (4/27/19), passing LSU’s Eddie Furniss (352; 1995-98)...Became just the fifth SEC baseball student-athlete to register 1,000 career at bats in his first plate appearance of the series finale at Ole Miss (5/12), finished his career ranked No. 2 in the category (1,074) in conference history...Owns the Mississippi State career record for game played (262), doubles (73), hit-by-pitch (45) and at bats (1,074)...Ranked No. 2 at Mississippi State in career runs scored (229), No. 3 in total bases (491), No. 4 in stolen bases (56), tied for No. 5 in triples (10) and tied

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login