Wool maker.....Josh Flowers QB

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
He's our long term future for sure. Rogers this year. Wright probably next year. Then it's all Flowers.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Just like Pareon was the future last year and Robertson the future before that?
Don't know who Pareon is, but we don't have much choice other than Flowers to TCB when it's his time. The coaching tragedy and change upset the QB cart. We should rebound at some point.

• Sad
Reactions: BigDawg0074

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just like Pareon was the future last year and Robertson the future before that?
Exactly. No one knows which QB will win the job after Will leaves. Half these guys won’t even be here by then. Just as good chance the starting QB 2 years from now is some guy we’ve never even heard of.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Incorrect. Parson is the future
So you expect him to start over Will Rogers, right? Please tell me you're kidding me. If we start basically a freshman QB in this league, then I'll drop my expectations back down to a 6-6 or maybe a 5-7 season. We have talented freshmen who haven't taken a snap in any college game, but we have 2 QBs who are experienced SEC veteran QBs who have gone against just about every SEC team and in every hostile environment. Hmmm.

Last edited:

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
So you expect him to start over Will Rogers, right? Please tell me you're kidding me. If we start basically a freshman QB in this league, then I'll drop my expectations back down to a 6-6 or maybe a 5-7 season. We have talented freshmen who haven't taken a snap in any college game, but we have 2 QBs who are experienced SEC veteran QBs who have gone against just about every SEC team and in every hostile environment. Hmmm.
Parson is the guy in 2024 and beyond. Will isn’t coming back next year.

I’m excited about Flowers potential but he’s more of a project than Parson. It’ll probably be 2026 before he’s ready

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Think positive guys, if Flowers makes it onto the field we won't be calling him Noodle Arm.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDawg0074

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sorry, I no longer get excited about possible future ’superstars’ at QB in the NIL/transfer era.

I think we lost our entire QB room minus Rogers. 2 of them were 4-star guys that will probably be bigtime ballers at their new teams
maybe they will & maybe they won’t. We lost a bunch of guys that Rogers beat out & we signed some new ones. That’s just the way it works now. You’re not going to keep many backup QBs for long.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
If you can stand Sharps annoying commentary..

Reactions: ChinaDawgSunflower

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Parson is the guy in 2024 and beyond. Will isn’t coming back next year.

I’m excited about Flowers potential but he’s more of a project than Parson. It’ll probably be 2026 before he’s ready
Wasn't talking about Rogers coming back, but SEC veteran Mike Wright has a covid year left. I would take his experience any day over Chris Parson.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Wasn't talking about Rogers coming back, but SEC veteran Mike Wright has a covid year left. I would take his experience any day over Chris Parson.
Experience won’t beat out talent unless they play for Dan Mullen. I just want the best guys getting the ball and I think that’s exactly what Barbay is going to do. None of us know who is better between Wright and Parson. If Rogers goes down this year it probably would be Wright getting the start but going into ‘24 might be a different scenario.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2011
I mean why not raid Vandy every year with this logic? I mean they have SEC experience! Pay no to mind their talent level or the fact that they lose nearly all of those games. It’s SEC experience!

I think Mike Wright was a great get for a backup QB. But I think most will be disappointed if one of our more talented guys can’t get it together to beat him out next year.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Wright’s a good player to have from a depth perspective but if he starts every game in ‘24 it’ll likely be a disappointment. In this day and age if you have a talented QB they should be able to get on the field after a full season + 2 spring practices.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Experience won’t beat out talent unless they play for Dan Mullen. I just want the best guys getting the ball and I think that’s exactly what Barbay is going to do.
I am concerned about this viewpoint in a very general, long-term way. In the short-term, immediate future, I totally agree. We have some pretty good players right now, and we need to utilize them.

But if we think deeply about this, "playing the best players" may not be the answer for us, because those "best" players may not be good enough to make a difference. That's why a system offense like the Air Raid was chosen by Cohen. Mullen did this too, but he wasn't as married to a system as Leach. The long-term goal is that you can eventually plug and play, and never have down years. Especially at MSU, where most of our big time talent is on the defensive side of the ball, and we can be more 'normal' there.

Was the Air Raid perfect for MSU? No. So it's not about Leach or the Air Raid. But it is about finding that repeatable system, that we can ingrain in our football culture, and ultimately give us an advantage. Because long term, "play the best players" is something the blue bloods always do. It only applied to us in one, solitary year with Leach still implementing his system. Now we are all obsessed with this idea. It's not like it's a new concept. You should always strive to play your best players, but if you don't have a bunch of 'best' players, you must think differently.

Long term, I hope we do this. Unless Arnett has figured out a way to out-recruit the blue bloods. Most of what we call our good players are leaving after 2023, so just 'playing our best' will become a little more difficult moving forward.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I am concerned about this viewpoint in a very general, long-term way. In the short-term, immediate future, I totally agree. We have some pretty good players right now, and we need to utilize them.

But if we think deeply about this, "playing the best players" may not be the answer for us, because those "best" players may not be good enough to make a difference. That's why a system offense like the Air Raid was chosen by Cohen. Mullen did this too, but he wasn't as married to a system as Leach. The long-term goal is that you can eventually plug and play, and never have down years. Especially at MSU, where most of our big time talent is on the defensive side of the ball, and we can be more 'normal' there.

Was the Air Raid perfect for MSU? No. So it's not about Leach or the Air Raid. But it is about finding that repeatable system, that we can ingrain in our football culture, and ultimately give us an advantage. Because long term, "play the best players" is something the blue bloods always do. It only applied to us in one, solitary year with Leach still implementing his system. Now we are all obsessed with this idea. It's not like it's a new concept. You should always strive to play your best players, but if you don't have a bunch of 'best' players, you must think differently.

Long term, I hope we do this. Unless Arnett has figured out a way to out-recruit the blue bloods. Most of what we call our good players are leaving after 2023, so just 'playing our best' will become a little more difficult moving forward.
You aren’t making sense. Do you think Mississippi State should play their best players or not? Are you under the impression that winning teams at any level don’t play their best players?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You aren’t making sense. Do you think Mississippi State should play their best players or not? Are you under the impression that winning teams at any level don’t play their best players?
It makes sense (in my head), I'm just not communicating it clearly. Let me try again.

The answer is yes, we should play our best players. That said, throughout history, MSU has not had a bunch of standout players on offense, which is probably why our offense hasn't been good throughout history. The ones that did were different - Emory Bellard's wishbone, Dan Mullen's power spread. They also had dual-threat QBs who weren't the most highly rated guys ever.

Defense is a different story. Mississippi produces a lot of players who are good on defense, which is why our defense is generally good assuming we have minimally competent coaching. Most of our 5 star and high 4 star recruits are defensive players. Check out this list: https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/sport/football/alltimerecruits/

Primarily defense with some tailbacks thrown in. That tells me our program needs to focus on defense and some sort of a run-based offense. Because that will utilize the best players we normally get. But again, we don't have ENOUGH offensive skill on most years. So to me, it does pay to install a system offense where most of the players are just run of the mill, plug and play. We get really good at it, and it's now our advantage. My own personal opinion is the Malzahn or RichRod system. I'm not advocating running a pure option like Army/Navy/Air Force. But it needs to be a niche, that most SEC teams don't see on a day to day basis. This way, we don't NEED the best players in the world, that we aren't likely to get anyway.

This is why Leach was trying to do. He didn't care who was best, he was going to rotate the wide receivers. Again, I don't like the Air Raid for MSU, since we rarely will have that many competent receivers and/or an elite passing quarterback.

So to sum up all this stuff Arnett, Barbay, Rosebowl and many of you are saying about utilizing Tulu and what-not, well, that's a luxury we have THIS year. We usually won't have this decision to make.

But hey, if Arnett can figure out how to sign and keep offensive skill on the level of the blue bloods, more power to him. Hasn't happened in our history, though.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

Not preferring to play the best players because we’re poor old Mississippi State is quite the take.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It makes sense (in my head), I'm just not communicating it clearly. Let me try again.

The answer is yes, we should play our best players. That said, throughout history, MSU has not had a bunch of standout players on offense, which is probably why our offense hasn't been good throughout history. The ones that did were different - Emory Bellard's wishbone, Dan Mullen's power spread. They also had dual-threat QBs who weren't the most highly rated guys ever.

Defense is a different story. Mississippi produces a lot of players who are good on defense, which is why our defense is generally good assuming we have minimally competent coaching. Most of our 5 star and high 4 star recruits are defensive players. Check out this list: https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/sport/football/alltimerecruits/

Primarily defense with some tailbacks thrown in. That tells me our program needs to focus on defense and some sort of a run-based offense. Because that will utilize the best players we normally get. But again, we don't have ENOUGH offensive skill on most years. So to me, it does pay to install a system offense where most of the players are just run of the mill, plug and play. We get really good at it, and it's now our advantage. My own personal opinion is the Malzahn or RichRod system. I'm not advocating running a pure option like Army/Navy/Air Force. But it needs to be a niche, that most SEC teams don't see on a day to day basis. This way, we don't NEED the best players in the world, that we aren't likely to get anyway.

This is why Leach was trying to do. He didn't care who was best, he was going to rotate the wide receivers. Again, I don't like the Air Raid for MSU, since we rarely will have that many competent receivers and/or an elite passing quarterback.

So to sum up all this stuff Arnett, Barbay, Rosebowl and many of you are saying about utilizing Tulu and what-not, well, that's a luxury we have THIS year. We usually won't have this decision to make.

But hey, if Arnett can figure out how to sign and keep offensive skill on the level of the blue bloods, more power to him. Hasn't happened in our history, though.
Mullen’s offense isn’t some special system that has to be recreated for success. I think MSU will probably continue to recruit with a similar profile as the last fifteen years. Like it or not we aren’t competing with the blue bloods every year. We are competing with Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, etc. for position in this conference and our current recruiting profile is more than capable of competing with those teams if the coaches get the most from the players and utilize them properly. A natty is, for all intents and purposes, out of reach for us and most of the teams in the conference. IMHO, our main goal is a competitive and entertaining product that earns money and drives interest in the university.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Mullen’s offense isn’t some special system that has to be recreated for success. I think MSU will probably continue to recruit with a similar profile as the last fifteen years. Like it or not we aren’t competing with the blue bloods every year. We are competing with Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, etc. for position in this conference and our current recruiting profile is more than capable of competing with those teams if the coaches get the most from the players and utilize them properly. A natty is, for all intents and purposes, out of reach for us and most of the teams in the conference. IMHO, our main goal is a competitive and entertaining product that earns money and drives interest in the university.
After we had a player like Dak play all four years for us and then had Leach and the Air Raid, we are at least in the discussions for a better caliber of quarterbacks than before.

We may do even better if we could keep our wide receivers from transferring out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Enjoy getting your dreams crushed. Feel free to holla back when we beat a slate of top 5 recruiters in the same year because that’s what it’s going to take.
Been happening my whole life of fandom, nothing new. We finally got over the edge in baseball because we were able to recruit JUST enough talent (and have the COVID draft help us get a few seniors back) to finally get it done there. But I'll be damned if I'm going to just quit hoping that we can knock a title down in football or basketball. If it's that futile, we may as well just give it up, take our welfare check, and invest in basketball.

That's what I'm about - strategies, plans, etc. Trying to devise ways to help MSU be the best at something. And as far as having a Leach system or equivalent vs. just trying to recruit the best we can get, my way is probably better. I mean Leach went 8-4 last year and we didn't particularly play very well. No telling what he could have done 5-7 years in.

Sounds to me like there's something to that. But nah, man, let's just CrOoT with the blue bloods. We'll definitely learn our place if we start doing that garbage again.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
I think we lost our entire QB room minus Rogers. 2 of them were 4-star guys that will probably be bigtime ballers at their new teams
Maybe. They couldn't beat out a walk-on for second string behind Rogers.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Been happening my whole life of fandom, nothing new. We finally got over the edge in baseball because we were able to recruit JUST enough talent (and have the COVID draft help us get a few seniors back) to finally get it done there. But I'll be damned if I'm going to just quit hoping that we can knock a title down in football or basketball. If it's that futile, we may as well just give it up, take our welfare check, and invest in basketball.

That's what I'm about - strategies, plans, etc. Trying to devise ways to help MSU be the best at something. And as far as having a Leach system or equivalent vs. just trying to recruit the best we can get, my way is probably better. I mean Leach went 8-4 last year and we didn't particularly play very well. No telling what he could have done 5-7 years in.

Sounds to me like there's something to that. But nah, man, let's just CrOoT with the blue bloods. We'll definitely learn our place if we start doing that garbage again.
You got this all twisted up. Leach and Mullen beat Alabama a grand total of zero times. If you can’t beat Bama much less a number of other blue bloods all in the same season you ain’t winning a natty. Blue bloods have systems too but with better anthletes to execute them and a staff of systems analysts in the background. This ain’t basketball and it damn sure ain’t baseball. If you think recruiting doesn’t matter you’re out of your mind. A perfect system full of three stars will be smaller, slower, weaker, and dumber and it will be obvious on every snap.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I can’t take this seriously.
How do you not know who Parson all while implying you know the QB room?
OP said "Pareon" was the future. I had never heard of any QB named "Pareon". Funny though the first thing I thought of from the past was "Parenton" as in Tim Parenton. Maybe that's what he meant after his 2nd fifth of Wild Turkey.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Your winning teams at any level don’t play their best players?
How do you know that Parson is better than Wright? You don't. But there is one thing we do know.....Wright has started and played games on the road in the SEC in front of 100K+ hostile crowds. Do we want to throw a freshman out in a situation like that? Parson would have to beat out Wright pretty badly in preseason workouts for that to happen, and I have a hard time seeing he would be THAT much better than Wright. Wright is a great runner and an average to above average passer. Everything being equal, I start Mike Wright in 2024.....if he decides to return. Now, if he performs poorly, yes, then give Parson or Flowers a shot.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
We are one play away from Wright or Parson being the QB this season
From everything I have heard, that is why we got Wright in a transfer. Because we had NO experience at all in a backup QB. At least, if nothing else, he can handle a hostile crowd. Been there done that quite a few times. And he played pretty well in some of those games even though Vandy was outmatched severely overall.

STATEBALLIN

Aug 23, 2012
OP said "Pareon" was the future. I had never heard of any QB named "Pareon". Funny though the first thing I thought of from the past was "Parenton" as in Tim Parenton. Maybe that's what he meant after his 2nd fifth of Wild Turkey.
Lol fair enough

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login