Worst case scenario: Two 24-team super conferences dictated by TV networks

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Let’s work this from the backend.

There are currently 131 FBS programs moving to 132 next year. So let’s say they want to get to 4 main conferences in this division. Then assume that each conferences has 20 programs each, or 80 total programs.

Who are the 32 that have to be removed to start?

Or if the goal is 3 super conferences with 24 programs each, who are the 50 that have to be removed?

Will the cut off be about money or attendance or enrollment? Example Liberty is up and coming and have lots of money. South Florida and Central Florida are two of the top 10 enrollment schools in the country. USC, Notre Dame, and a couple of other private schools have relatively small enrollments compared to the Big 10 schools they are joining. What happens to the Military Schools?

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
Let’s work this from the backend.

There are currently 131 FBS programs moving to 132 next year. So let’s say they want to get to 4 main conferences in this division. Then assume that each conferences has 20 programs each, or 80 total programs.

Who are the 32 that have to be removed to start?

Or if the goal is 3 super conferences with 24 programs each, who are the 50 that have to be removed?

Will the cut off be about money or attendance or enrollment? Example Liberty is up and coming and have lots of money. South Florida and Central Florida are two of the top 10 enrollment schools in the country. USC, Notre Dame, and a couple of other private schools have relatively small enrollments compared to the Big 10 schools they are joining. What happens to the Military Schools?

That's not really a goal. That's not what is happening.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
One, for injecting politics into an apolitical discussion.

Two, for believing one side does everything above board and in the spirit of cooperation while the other malevolently steamrolls its agenda. Before you start your whatabouts, I don’t give a **** and have no interest in engaging in a political back & forth with you.

Now a third, for having his girlfriend come here and defend his honor.

Look moron, the political example is just that an example of how to wield power. Nothing political is above board on either side, both sides are as dirty, corrupt, bought off, etc., as the other, the difference is the current crop of democrats understand how to wield power, when you have the power you don't compromise. I do believe Sankey understands that too, that is good for us.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Whatever happens if it has built from the conferences that already exist no one will be left out. It would've been ridiculous to think that Kansas State Purdue or Oregon State or Mississippi State would be left out. If they do a having a have/have not future in college football at division One it will be a much much smaller group of schools at the top and included in this future league.

Whatever anybody says right now it's ******** because I don't know it's going to be in CFB the future. We will first have to have the NIL go back and forth within college football to see who makes it and who doesn't.

When the dust is all settled and all the controversies, fall-out, and fights are through and we have had all the up coming scandals and lawlessness happen then CFB will go through and figure out what to do with college football... as a group of conferences and programs with some sort of leader ship at the top whatever that may end up being.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I agree that college sports are beginning to shake out into only two conferences (the SEC and the B1G).

I think we can all agree that football is the sport that drives revenue and interest the most for all of college sports.

Thus, the SEC should be working now on adding Notre Dame and Clemson (two major football powers from the ACC) to the conference.

Additionally, the SEC should eventually try to get Ohio State and Penn State from the B1G. (Ideally, this would happen very soon after getting Notre Dame and Clemson to join the SEC.)

If the SEC could somehow do that, then the SEC might be able to take over the whole thing (i.e., all of college sports).

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
With streaming, TV markets aren’t as important as they used to be. Network/Streaming services want match ups and believe it or not, but a fully-functioning Air Raid offense is very attractive for drawing eyeballs. If Leach gets rolling, I think Mississippi State is safe in a NFL like break off from the NCAA.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Why would tOSU and Penn State leave the Big10 when they’ll make more money there than the SEC can offer?

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
What plant have all of you been smoking?The SEC is in the Catbird Seat of Media. What the advantage of making a superdooper conference when you already are a superdooper conference. Give it a break. When would the Big Ten give up their identity?? The ACC? Come on.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
There's a point of diminishing returns as far as adding teams to the SEC. I think we are there unless Notre Dame wants to join.

Exactly! Is there one more school out there, left to grab, that would increase viewership for sec football? Notre Dame is it. Adding anymore schools, would be for basketball reasons or no reason at all.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
There's a point of diminishing returns as far as adding teams to the SEC. I think we are there unless Notre Dame wants to join.

You are on point until ESPN wrestles or does a hostile takeover of the SEC. That day is coming and then the SEC is the ESPN league, then the point of diminishing returns is off the table. The same scenario comes into play when Fox does its hostile takeover of the BIG and the BIG becomes the Fox league. Just like the NFL AFC vs NFC?

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Why would tOSU and Penn State leave the Big10 when they’ll make more money there than the SEC can offer?

I'm not saying that Ohio State and Penn State will leave the B1G. Rather, I'm saying the SEC should go after them, after adding Notre Dame and Clemson.

Of course, where the best money will be made (SEC or B1G) is an ever evolving issue.

Would Ohio State and Penn State want to play against the top football teams in the country in the most lucrative conference, or wouldn't they? I think they would.

Certainly, we'll have to see how everything shakes out.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
What plant have all of you been smoking?The SEC is in the Catbird Seat of Media. What the advantage of making a superdooper conference when you already are a superdooper conference. Give it a break. When would the Big Ten give up their identity?? The ACC? Come on.

The ACC is doomed.

However, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login