Would a New Coach Re-Energize the MBB Fanbase

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Let us get back to being in top 25 and winning 11-12 SEC regular season games and our fans will be all over that. This can be done!!

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
can't just be a new coach. needs to be an exciting brand of basketball. The students create the atmosphere. That's up to Cohen and the admininstration to figure out.

gotta stop giving the best seats to the big football donors who couldn't care less about basketball. I know a guy with 4 lower level seats who goes to 1 or 2 games a year and doesn't care about giving his tickets away or selling them.

I understand we want an exciting brand of basketball, but would a boring guy like mccasland be more successful? We aren't gonna be able to recruit guys that can outrun Arkansas, bama, auburn, and Kentucky. We might could grind those teams to death with great defense though. I really don't know what direction would be the best, but I'd hate to eliminate a coach just bc he doesnt win excitingly

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Let us get back to being in top 25 and winning 11-12 SEC regular season games and our fans will be all over that. This can be done!!

That's gonna be tough with bama, ark, lsu, Tenn, and Kentucky all having good to great coaches

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
The right coach, yes.

Case in point: Bruce Pearl. The definition of “he’s an ******* but he’s our *******”

Dude could energize a funeral

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
A new coach won't help the worst problem we have....the fans that act as if we have been top 10 for all of stans tenure.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We were in the top 25 for all of the 2018-19 season until the first week of February

This is also the only time we've been ranked at all since Stansbury's last season. A whole decade of basketball and only 1 team good enough to get ranked in top 25 at any point during the season.

I don't care who the coach is, how old he is, how much energy he has. If he can get us winning enough to be ranked for 2-3 years, the people will come back. Howland was probably close to doing this in the 2019-2020 season but we lost some big games early in the season that put a damper on things (losing to Liberty in the first round of the 19 tournament didn't help either)

Sep 15, 2009
I have a buddy who thinks it’s too far gone barring we do something absurd like make the top 10. Would a young, energetic new hire make our fans get back to attending? Part of me is scared our fanbase is too far gone.
I absolutely think he would. See Auburn. They didn't give a damn about basketball before Pearl got there.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
A new coach won't help the worst problem we have....the fans that act as if we have been top 10 for all of stans tenure.

Its not so much that as it is that most fans aren't going to drive 2+ hours one way to see a below average team when EVERY game is televised. I remember driving 6+ hours round trip to see some of those mid-90s teams play without batting an eyelash, not only because we were good, but because if I wanted to see them then the only way was to go be there. Starkville being remotely located coupled with being able to watch every game from home has been a death blow to our program at least as far as fan attendance goes. Now yea, if the team was really good people would want to be there in person anyway but we haven't had much of that since the SEC network came along.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login