Wow, Oregon and Washington officially gone per McMurphy.......

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Why would the SEC want any school from the Big 12? They’ve already taken the ones they want. There’s simply no one else there that adds value. Maybe Utah, Stanford, Cal & one of the AZ schools would be able to come close to break even. But they’d also bring a lot of problems I don’t think the SEC wants to deal with. I think the Big 10 is going to be a bloated conference & the West Coast schools will do it more harm than good. SEC will be much better positioned when the ACC grant of rights is close to expiring (or some law firm earns a 9-digit paycheck for getting around it).

They wouldn’t want any in the current Big 12. But if ASU / Zona joined the Big 12, they immediately become by far the highest profile teams in that league. They’d be 2 potential “dark horse” teams as I said before. Doesn’t mean they’d be a primary target, but would be satisfactory additions, in some scenarios, to either the SEC or B1G.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm still not seeing the SEC expanding into the Mountain time zone. I could be wrong, but I think that's just a bridge too far. I get your logic though.

Valid. I’m not saying its the most likely scenario. But it’s not impossible if things break a certain way. Hence….”dark horse” statement.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Speaking of regional, the way the state of Florida is growing, Florida Atlantic and possibly FIU could be next in the SEC expansion discussion after ACC teams are absorbed. And of course central florida too.
That's not happening, but maybe USF could be, along with UCF.

I just did the math on this. Assuming the SEC, B1G, Big 12 and ACC live on, if you take all the CURRENT P5 teams and place them somehow in all those conferences, you have 11 more seats at the table, which will most likely get folded into the ACC and Big 12 to get 4 conferences of 20 and 80 total teams. Who gets these seats?

I'm guessing USF for sure. If you look at AAU schools with decent programs, that also gives you Rice and Tulane (AAU may not matter, but you have to start somewhere). You'd think Boise State gets a spot. Colorado State and Connecticut perhaps. Maybe the military teams in Army, Navy and Air Force. That's 8. Maybe some flagships like Nevada, Wyoming, New Mexico? Or a UNLV? SMU? It'll be interesting. But it won't be Memphis.

Once this happens, I do think things stabilize until the elite form their own conference/alliance.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
That's not happening, but maybe USF could be, along with UCF.

I just did the math on this. Assuming the SEC, B1G, Big 12 and ACC live on, if you take all the CURRENT P5 teams and place them somehow in all those conferences, you have 11 more seats at the table, which will most likely get folded into the ACC and Big 12 to get 4 conferences of 20 and 80 total teams. Who gets these seats?

I'm guessing USF for sure. If you look at AAU schools with decent programs, that also gives you Rice and Tulane (AAU may not matter, but you have to start somewhere). You'd think Boise State gets a spot. Colorado State and Connecticut perhaps. Maybe the military teams in Army, Navy and Air Force. That's 8. Maybe some flagships like Nevada, Wyoming, New Mexico? Or a UNLV? SMU? It'll be interesting.

Once this happens, I do think things stabilize until the elite form their own conference/alliance.
I think as this thing blows up, the entire conference will have an increasingly larger appetite for adding some more probable wins to the SEC schedule. By the time this happens FAU's enrollment will almost certainly be over 40k and possible at the 50k mark. FIU is already there so is USF. One of the reasons UF, Miami and USF are down is because FIU, FAU and UCF has eaten away at the talent pool.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Why would the SEC want any school from the Big 12? They’ve already taken the ones they want. There’s simply no one else there that adds value. Maybe Utah, Stanford, Cal & one of the AZ schools would be able to come close to break even. But they’d also bring a lot of problems I don’t think the SEC wants to deal with. I think the Big 10 is going to be a bloated conference & the West Coast schools will do it more harm than good. SEC will be much better positioned when the ACC grant of rights is close to expiring (or some law firm earns a 9-digit paycheck for getting around it).
I do think ok state adds value from Oklahoma rivalry. I know ou and Texas is bigger but it completed the piece, they are usually good at the big 3 sports too enough to be ranked and competitive most years.

it doesn't make money sense but it make conference unity sense which is something that has add sec more special is the culture.

I think ok state would fit with the western sec schools which would now be TAMU Texas ou and Mizzou. They fit better than Mizzou honestly.

as far as Easter schools fitting Clemson snd Florida state would fit best but I could see adding nc state and nc. Also.

msybe to get to 20. Add ok state. Drop Missouri as they don't fit. Add nc state and nc. Add fsu and Clemson. That would be a good 20 and fit the south east better.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'll take any schools likely to lead to a win for the Bulldogs. I just don't see how adding the best teams from other conferences makes it easier for State to win 8-9 games and get a decent bowl game. I'm not a guy that yells SEC SEC SEC.

Aug 15, 2011
This won't happen. No NCAA playoff operates like this.

I don't think any of these conferences expand past 20. Big 12, after they have secured Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah, could reach out and get Washington State and Oregon State and get to 18. The ACC can survive too, even if they lost a few to the SEC, they may can even wrestle West Virginia and Cincinnati away from the Big 12. Plus you have UConn and others. And Notre Dame's power may well be watered down by then, and they may be happy to join the ACC. They really don't realize how quickly the tide is turning for them.

We will have a distinct top tier of SEC/B1G, then a middle of Big 12 and ACC, then the G5. And the 12-team playoff will keep it stabilized. I think it could settle that way, then 30 years from now the elites may break off. That is a way's off.
NCAA?!?! The eventual league won't look anything like the NCAA. The SEC and B1G are going to eventually tell the NCAA to shove it when it comes to college football and form their own league. Big-time college football should just drop the "college" and admit that it's a professional minor league system wearing the skinned pelt of college football. It'll be awhile, but once the ACC domino falls, everything will then fall into place. Thank the Good Lord we reside in the SEC and not the Big 12 or ACC. Otherwise we would probably be joining Southern Miss who will compete in an actual college football division and will only have a few thousand in the stands on Saturday. They will be renting the Greyhound bus to games once the big schools leave and quit hiring them out for an easy win.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I do think ok state adds value from Oklahoma rivalry. I know ou and Texas is bigger but it completed the piece, they are usually good at the big 3 sports too enough to be ranked and competitive most years.

it doesn't make money sense but it make conference unity sense which is something that has add sec more special is the culture.

I think ok state would fit with the western sec schools which would now be TAMU Texas ou and Mizzou. They fit better than Mizzou honestly.

as far as Easter schools fitting Clemson snd Florida state would fit best but I could see adding nc state and nc. Also.

msybe to get to 20. Add ok state. Drop Missouri as they don't fit. Add nc state and nc. Add fsu and Clemson. That would be a good 20 and fit the south east better.
I like the additions of Oklahoma State, Florida State and Clemson, for the rivalry effect and they are all pretty good brands. If the SEC knows what is best for it, that's the direction they go, along with a North Carolina school, either UNC or NC State, I don't really care which one. The 'culture' part of it would continue to explode. Maybe even Louisville?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
December 2019 someone tells you the PAC-12 will dissolve in less than four years...your reaction? In another decade the Florida schools with an undergrad enrollment of >50k will no be in the conference they're in now.
I would have believed it, actually. The idea of super leagues isn't new and has been floated around since the Pac-10 tried poaching half the Big 12 10 years ago. Now, that being said, I wouldn't have expected the Big Ten to have consumed 4 to 6 Pac-12 teams. I would have expected it to be something more along the lines of a Pac-12/Big 12 merger to combat the 'growing threat' of the Big Ten and SEC who would have just picked off the top maybe 4 programs of the Big 12 and picked clean the bones of the ACC.

I find all of the above, plus what has actually happened, much more plausible than FAU, FIU, USF, or UCF getting into the SEC.
Some sort of ACC/AAC amalgam? Sure, but not the SEC.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I like the additions of Oklahoma State, Florida State and Clemson, for the rivalry effect and they are all pretty good brands. If the SEC knows what is best for it, that's the direction they go, along with a North Carolina school, either UNC or NC State, I don't really care which one. The 'culture' part of it would continue to explode. Maybe even Louisville?
While I would say OK State is a better cultural fit to the SEC than OU or Mizzou, OU vs OK State is a rivalry the same way LSU and Ole Miss is a rivalry. One side (OK State) is bound and determined to sell Bedlam as a huge rivalry, but the other side (OU) believes their real rivalry game is in the Cotton Bowl stadium in Dallas every year against Texas.

I went to Bedlam this past year with my Sooner wife and her OU friends and it was really fun... but I mean... from an atmosphere perspective, it wasn't the Egg Bowl or the Red River Shootout.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
One thing to consider with all of these pie in the sky additions is that it's not just who each conference 'wants', it's also who ESPN/Fox/CBS/NBC will pay for.

As stated, OK State and West Virginia are cultural fits for the SEC and either could be a good 'counter balance' if the SEC finds itself with an odd number (like Mizzou provided with A&M) after adding (for example) UNC, Clemson, and FSU, but then you have to convince ESPN to pony up for for those schools, convince those schools to come for lower shares (which introduces the payout tiers that killed the Big 12), or convince each existing school would have to vote to intentionally lower their 'per school' payout, which I don't see ever happening.

The Big Ten has an even bigger hill because they have to convince 3 different partners to pay up. I'm thinking the reason that Oregon and Washington aren't getting a full share of the Big Ten money is because CBS and/or NBC balked at paying any more for those schools, but Fox was game because they're locking down the West Coast, so Oregon and Washington are getting a share of the Fox money, but not the CBS and NBC payouts. The alternative was for the other members of the Big Ten to take less money, which wasn't happening.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This has no basis in reality, but if 20 schools is the ultimate goal for the SEC, I want Florida State, Clemson, Louisville and Ok State.

Brings some cow college brethren into the fold, aligns traditional rivals in the same league and really pisses of a few "flagships".

As Martha says, it's a good thing.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
One thing to consider with all of these pie in the sky additions is that it's not just who each conference 'wants', it's also who ESPN/Fox/CBS/NBC will pay for.

Yep! When the Big10 added USC/UCLA it upped the Big10 potential TV revenue by 25%. Now why the Big10 is adding Oregon and Washington.... I don't know as I don't see much of a market there. However the Big10 is playing the long game. They are adding TV markets all over the US to maximize their revenue and become bigger and stronger than the SEC.

While I don't believe any ACC school adds value to the SEC tv revenue, the Big 10 adding FSU or Clemson or Miami would expand their footprint. The SEC may be wise to grab 2 or all 3 to keep the Big10 out of the SEC markets

However if I was Sanky, I'm trying to lure Notre Dame and Miami (national brand) first and foremost. I would offer Notre Dame full membership rights immediately.

With that said, how much more money does ESPN have? Do you want more than 16 when ESPN runs dry or taps out? It's a gamble by the Big10.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yep! When the Big10 added USC/UCLA it upped the Big10 potential TV revenue by 25%. Now why the Big10 is adding Oregon and Washington.... I don't know as I don't see much of a market there. However the Big10 is playing the long game. They are adding TV markets all over the US to maximize their revenue and become bigger and stronger than the SEC.

While I don't believe any ACC school adds value to the SEC tv revenue, the Big 10 adding FSU or Clemson or Miami would expand their footprint. The SEC may be wise to grab 2 or all 3 to keep the Big10 out of the SEC markets

However if I was Sanky, I'm trying to lure Notre Dame and Miami (national brand) first and foremost. I would offer Notre Dame full membership rights immediately.

With that said, how much more money does ESPN have? Do you want more than 16 when ESPN runs dry or taps out? It's a gamble by the Big10.
My understanding is that ND can only join the ACC if it joins a conference through 2036 (unless of course the ACC ceases to exist). All of its non-football rights are part of the ACC grant of rights and the NBC football contract runs through the 2024 football season. The earliest they would even appear in the SEC would be the 2025 season and more likely not until the ACC situation plays out. Even then, I think it's more likely they go Big Ten than the SEC.

Reactions: Maroon13

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Portland snd Seattle markets that's it. It does add slightly easier travel for a couple of games. West coast, central, and eastern markets

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This has no basis in reality, but if 20 schools is the ultimate goal for the SEC, I want Florida State, Clemson, Louisville and Ok State.

Brings some cow college brethren into the fold, aligns traditional rivals in the same league and really pisses of a few "flagships".

As Martha says, it's a good thing.
Hadn't thought about Louisville with Kentucky. Would be a good add for msu as we can compete with them.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Best move for SEC is no move. Unless the obvious ACC targets can somehow get out of their grant of rights. I doubt they can, but if I’m the SEC, I’m definitely talking to them.
This.

The move for the SEC is to talk to the ACC schools we want and wait for them to sort out the grant of rights...

Move to 20:
UNC
UVA
FSU
Clem

22?
Va Tech
NC State

24?
Steal OkSt
Kansas

To break the ACC, you'll need to take enough to get them to break up the ACC, but few enough so ESPN still backs it (8 is the magic number for both... ACC schools ger $23.3 mill each) I assume the Big10 gets Notre Dame, and at least one of Miami, GaTech, or Duke.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Apropos of this topic, received in the mail today…

View attachment 378296
Cancel those hotels in Tempe, Duck fans! You're going to sunny Piscataway, NJ!

Paulie Walnuts Summer GIF by Sky

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Clear Power Two: SEC and Big Ten
Clear #3: Big XII
Schools that are clearly scrambling: anyone currently in the ACC / Pac-12

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have a feeling that the Florida ACC and the two Big North Caroliana schools are the only four that would be in play. If ND joins any in football, it will be Big 10.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
My only hope is the ACC implodes soon so we can get this done with. This is the way it’s going. It’s inevitable. It’s time to get it settled so everyone can move on.

I feel bad for the schools on the fringe. There are a lot who are going to lose big. Watch Washington State and Oregon State drift into nothingness.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
My only hope is the ACC implodes soon so we can get this done with. This is the way it’s going. It’s inevitable. It’s time to get it settled so everyone can move on.

I feel bad for the schools on the fringe. There are a lot who are going to lose big. Watch Washington State and Oregon State drift into nothingness.
Probably headed to Mountain West. Much less revenue and into nothingness as you said.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I have a feeling that the Florida ACC and the two Big North Caroliana schools are the only four that would be in play. If ND joins any in football, it will be Big 10.
You're probably correct regarding ND. However if Big10 gets ND, they will put a lot of distance between them and us in revenue.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
I c
NCAA?!?! The eventual league won't look anything like the NCAA. The SEC and B1G are going to eventually tell the NCAA to shove it when it comes to college football and form their own league. Big-time college football should just drop the "college" and admit that it's a professional minor league system wearing the skinned pelt of college football. It'll be awhile, but once the ACC domino falls, everything will then fall into place. Thank the Good Lord we reside in the SEC and not the Big 12 or ACC. Otherwise we would probably be joining Southern Miss who will compete in an actual college football division and will only have a few thousand in the stands on Saturday. They will be renting the Greyhound bus to games once the big schools leave and quit hiring them out for an easy win.
I could see a football only league and then back to regional conferences for smaller sports. Especially the non revenue sports.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login