Wow, the SEC is 1-6 in bowl games now.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Admittedly, I am a huge SEC advocate and have been for decades. That said, I used to be more interested in bowl outcomes years ago, but, when essentially all but Vandy is invited to a bowl, its hard to get emotially invested (either way) about watered-down match-ups.

At the end of the day, what matters are 3 games. The SEC is 50% of the "final four" of the CFP, and no else will remember if the SEC had 11 teams in and what their record is. All that will be remembered is if Bama wins it all (again)...or if UGA can finally dethrone the kings of college football....or if the TV executives panic over the nightmarish scenario of MI-CIN for all the marbles

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I wonder how many starters and back up the SEC has had out for Draft and Covid compared to other conferences. We had 10.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t know. It’s pretty obvious neither of those teams played as tough a schedule as we all thought they did.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Good, the SEC won't get as many bowl invites next year which will make it harder to get a bowl and some on here will be happy again.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
This happened a couple years ago albeit with not quite as many losses. SEC has been top heavy for years and the East hasn’t been any better than any other conference or division. Still the SEC is the best league without doubt at top (top four). The rest is competitive with others.

That said, COVID clearly skewed State’s game with Tech. Not an excuse—just a fact.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
I’m sure the SEC has more draft opt-outs. Every year the SEC has more players drafted than any other conference, and it’s not even close. There has to be a solution to this.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
This happened a couple years ago albeit with not quite as many losses. SEC has been top heavy for years and the East hasn’t been any better than any other conference or division. Still the SEC is the best league without doubt at top (top four). The rest is competitive with others.

That said, COVID clearly skewed State’s game with Tech. Not an excuse—just a fact.

Naw. That loss had little to do with Covid. That was a **** show.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Tennesse is going to challenge the SEC-East next year. Young QB, big WRs, can run the ball. Their defense is awful though. Looks like they are following the RebShark pattern of score a lot and get scored on a lot.

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
It's fascinating to me that the NIT is so broadly dismissed as meaningless and is treated as a joke, while most college football fans still take non-playoff bowls somewhat seriously and brag endlessly about the results for their conferences when they do well.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I hope they all lose. We get the money either way and them winning does not benefit MSU in any way.

Imadick

Jan 18, 2009
Looks the rest (including MSU) of the SEC teams just didn’t give a smelly one if they weren’t in the playoffs. The non sec opponents wanted to beat the sec because they tired of how great the sec is made out. Basically motivation versus not wanting to he there.

Last edited:

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
Because the NIT is played to claim 69th place in college basketball.

And this is a perfect example. About 1/2 to 2/3 of the field is comprised of teams that would have any chance of actually being "ranked."

I'd guess as many college sports fans can name you the 5th best team in college football for the last 10 years as can name the team who won the NIT, yet in our minds there is somehow this big importance gap.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
And this is a perfect example. About 1/2 to 2/3 of the field is comprised of teams that would have any chance of actually being "ranked."

I'd guess as many college sports fans can name you the 5th best team in college football for the last 10 years as can name the team who won the NIT, yet in our minds there is somehow this big importance gap.

I’d guess that less than 20% of SPS’ers could name the four teams in the 2021 Final Four. Go back to the Final Four before that and I’d guess it’s less than 10%.

For me, once State’s season is done my college basketball season is done.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm in the 80%. I didn't even know Baylor won the title until I read it on this board a day or two ago.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
I'm in the 80%. I didn't even know Baylor won the title until I read it on this board a day or two ago.

Same here. I thought Baylor basketball got crushed with penalties a few years back and weren’t very good. No idea when they became good again, and certainly had no idea they won the whole thing.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
All bowl games other than the NY6 = NFL Preseason games

Many times the regular starters aren't on the field and there is no incentive to win, other than maybe bragging rights.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
The NIT is played to claim the 40th place in the country. The other 25 automatic bids come in behind the NIT winner, same as why a bubble team fighting to get in the tourney, gets seeded as an 11 seed instead of the 16th seed. Doesn't make any sense. A team on the bubble, either in or out, should come into the field as a 16 seed team.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login