Wyatt's Zona Preview

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
The easy takeaway is State's going to have to play disciplined on both sides of the ball. AZ has a talented QB and a transfer-beefed D. Thinks the game will be closer than expected.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Those bigger D lineman are a nice addition, but they didn't transfer to Arizona because they were beating guys out at the better programs they came from.

My main concern is not moving the ball on their D, it's containing that QB. He's the kind that can kill you if you don't contain him. And we need to force him into mistakes like we did last year

Reactions: Seinfeld

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
If it's the typically PAC12 ref crew, our fans will need to be disciplined with the ringing of the cowbells. It was a little out of control for the SELA game. PAC12 crew may not be as liberal with the rules for artificial noisemakers. AZ definitely will catch a break with the weather/temps/humidity.....not likely a factor at all.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Their offense improved a lot after we okayed then
If it's the typically PAC12 ref crew, our fans will need to be disciplined with the ringing of the cowbells. It was a little out of control for the SELA game. PAC12 crew may not be as liberal with the rules for artificial noisemakers. AZ definitely will catch a break with the weather/temps/humidity.....not likely a factor at all.

I don’t know about that specifically, but if there are any conference’s refs worse than what we see in the SEC, it’s absolutely the PAC-12. Be warned.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Those bigger D lineman are a nice addition, but they didn't transfer to Arizona because they were beating guys out at the better programs they came from.

My main concern is not moving the ball on their D, it's containing that QB. He's the kind that can kill you if you don't contain him. And we need to force him into mistakes like we did last year
Their D line is probably better than last year's, but N. Zona was moving the ball on them pretty well. Delaura definitely fits the description of a dual threat QB. And his passing appears to be pretty accurate.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Their D line is probably better than last year's, but N. Zona was moving the ball on them pretty well. Delaura definitely fits the description of a dual threat QB. And his passing appears to be pretty accurate.

De Laura’s worst game by far last year was when they played us. He otherwise had a pretty good season. The other thing these changed after they played us is they started letting him run it a little bit more. Not a ton, but some. I remember him having wide open lanes to run against us and he outright refused to do so. I’m not sure he will play it the same way this year.

I’m not too terribly worried about their defense as I think we just have better personnel at key spots in that matchup. As long as we don’t turn it over several times we should be ok. But this is a good offensive team and will definitely be a test for our D.

Reactions: drumrcraig

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
De Laura’s worst game by far last year was when they played us. He otherwise had a pretty good season. The other thing these changed after they played us is they started letting him run it a little bit more. Not a ton, but some. I remember him having wide open lanes to run against us and he outright refused to do so. I’m not sure he will play it the same way this year.

I’m not too terribly worried about their defense as I think we just have better personnel at key spots in that matchup. As long as we don’t turn it over several times we should be ok. But this is a good offensive team and will definitely be a test for our D.
Good warmup for Rattler, KJ, and Milrose

Reactions: drumrcraig

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So basically like our transfers?

No, not really. I doubt they have a Randy Charlton type guy in that bunch.

We're a better football program in the SEC with a reputation for good defenses. I'd say we get better options in defensive transfers.

Could be wrong.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I'd also say we were easily one of the 2 or 3 best defenses they saw last season. Held them to their lowest point total by a small amount.

I think we will be one of the better D's they see again this year. Probably not a stretch to say considering their schedule.

I'm not as big on Arizona being very competitive with us as Matt and many others seem to be.

It's very possible I'm the idiot here.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

The artificial noisemaker rule isn’t an NCAA rule. Its an SEC rule. The PAC 12 officials can’t do a damn thing about it….not even enforceable for them in a non-SEC game.

Reactions: StumpNewGround
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login