X is all a’twitter with Mike Elko smoke

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Yeah, we may be talking to him, but the smoke is Michigan state. I will give Selmon credit for letting nothing leak.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I hope all of the rumors of us meeting/interviewing these coaches are true. I hope we vet every successful coach and do all of our homework to the extreme Then, only after this thorough process, we convince the best of the bunch to be the next HC at State.

Reactions: vandaldawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah. I don't have a problem talking to any and all possibilities. They need to do their due diligence and of course you always need a back up plan. And you know a lot is learned in an interview. Hopefully Selmon will make the best choice of what's actually available. The reality of it is the Kansas guys, Elko and Chadwell may not even be a possibility. None of us truly know. Odom may be the best guy we can get. Idk

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mike Elko? Are you shltting me?
Are you shitting me?

My preferences:
1) Bob Stoops (yes, he's 63, but he's waited this long for the right job to come along, I don't think he's going to just retire after a few years after patiently waiting this long)
2) Urban Meyer (I know he'd probably be a short termer, but just a sure hire to right the ship)
3) Successful, sitting SEC coach (Billy Napier? Scott Stricklin might be willing to do us a solid and convince UF to waive his buyout)
4) Successful, sitting Big10 coach (I don't know any Big10 coaches since Urban "retired". Who was his replacement? Is he any good? Somebody we should look into?)
5) Shutdown the program and focus our resources on woman's basketball.
6) Successful, sitting ACC coach with successful coordinator experience in the SEC. Elko obviously fits this bill, but I don't see any reason we should settle for him unless we strike out on our the first four options and the SEC says we can't keep our welfare check unless we continue to field a football team. If that happens, so be it, but if Salmon is any good, he will exhaust our other options before getting there.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He is far and away the best candidate on the board.
I'm a Chadwell fan. Also like the 2 Kansas coaches. After that Elko. Then maybe Odom and Sumrall. All these rumors are Michigan State. Also Briles has came out and said any rumors linking him and State are false

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm a Chadwell fan. Also like the 2 Kansas coaches. After that Elko. Then maybe Odom and Sumrall
I'm a Chadwell fan too. I'd like him to be the guy. Odom? Would be a disaster. Sumrall? Would be our version of Kentucky Stoops.

But Elko is light years ahead of all these guys. I don't believe him to be a legit candidate for us because we're competing with A&M and Michigan State there.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm a Chadwell fan too. I'd like him to be the guy. Odom? Would be a disaster. Sumrall? Would be our version of Kentucky Stoops.

But Elko is light years ahead of all these guys. I don't believe him to be a legit candidate for us because we're competing with A&M and Michigan State there.
Right. I agree. If we did of course I would be his biggest fan. I knew the rumors they were referring to were the other MSU. Not us. Sumrall is rolling at Troy. SEC experience is a plus. But Chadwell has been immediately successful everywhere but Delta State so that impresses me. But anybody could come here and fall on their face.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login