Yet another EV thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
...cue the gee not this crap again jpegs and gifs...

The catch is that it's about the Saudis going electric...

[FONT="]Saudi Arabia wants to go electric. It's getting its hands on minerals critical for batteries and taking a stake in the EV-supply chain.That should but the world on high alert https://t.co/Ok8hKg4vPN— Bloomberg Opinion (@opinion) August 22, 2022 [/FONT]

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Ford just fired 3000 people for the move to electric. On a related note, all their EVs will cost more now as well.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Is it too late to force the world to go back to horses and we control the Oat Supply.*

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I remember a story many years ago where many of the garbage trucks in Saudi Arabia were electric, to cut down on the noise

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Isn't them having $ to work with today and investing it? T Hey can see which way the wind is blowing just like anyone else.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep. In Germany, Coal > Nuclear thanks largely to Russia as well as Fukushima 11 years ago.

Link.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
How much of this is political??? I know oil companies have donated more money to Republican campaigns than Democratic campaigns. I'm sure there are sour grapes which prompted the Dems to take action.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Um... You know that the Saudis are a hereditary monarchy?

Seriously though. Take a look at the link thatsbaseball had in his earlier comment-- the Saudis have been doing this at least since 2015...

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I honestly have no idea why Republicans/Texans/etc. are so concerned about EVs. There are going to be more hybrids than anything else (which still use gas) and not to mention jets will using fossil fuels for the foreseeable future, unless someone can make these biofuels work, which I doubt.

I don't see gas demand going down, unless we shut down the world again, which likely, going by history, won't happen for another 100 years.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
We do not have, and will not have for the foreseeable future, the electrical grid to convert to EVs on a massive scale.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Maybe, but during the Spanish Flu the population of the world was about 1/7th of what it is now. We have many more viral incubators than we used to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if another pandemic that was as bad or worse than Covid-19 occurred in the next 25 years.

I see electric vehicles as diversifying our transportation industry. They will likely never completely replace fossil fuel based ground transportation. And how much they'll offset the current increase in global emissions that are falling well short of the Paris Agreement is a moving estimate.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
...cue the gee not this crap again jpegs and gifs...

The catch is that it's about the Saudis going electric...

[FONT="]Saudi Arabia wants to go electric. It's getting its hands on minerals critical for batteries and taking a stake in the EV-supply chain.That should but the world on high alert https://t.co/Ok8hKg4vPN— Bloomberg Opinion (@opinion) August 22, 2022 [/FONT]

Can't read the article behind the paywall, but if it is saying this is a warning that Saudi Arabia doesn't think their oil resources will last, that's almost certainly not what is going on. Saudi Arabia has long been keen to diversify from Oil. That was sort of behind the establishment of Saudi Basic Industries (SABIC), although that was more about diversifying their workforce and "onshoring" some of the chemical industry jobs that used oil as a feed stock and sort of about creating more demand for their oil. This is also the strategy behind taking Aramco public. They want to take all that money from an IPO and invest it with their sovereign wealth fund, which would offload some of the risk of the world being able to successfully reduce their reliance on oil. This looks like just a continuation of their strategy. If their is a threat to oil, right now it's going to require a huge demand for rare earth minerals, so this is potentially a really good hedge for them. If energy production follows one of the two main paths foreseeable today, they will get a piece of the action either way.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I honestly have no idea why Republicans/Texans/etc. are so concerned about EVs. There are going to be more hybrids than anything else (which still use gas) and not to mention jets will using fossil fuels for the foreseeable future, unless someone can make these biofuels work, which I doubt.

I don't see gas demand going down, unless we shut down the world again, which likely, going by history, won't happen for another 100 years.

I think they see the handwriting on the wall, but yes short-term there's still TREMENDOUS demand for fossil fuels from what you mention, plus trucks, equipment, electrical generation, home heating, lubrication, and dozens of other applications. Seems like so many people seem to think one day we will just flip a switch from fossil fuels to not-fosil fuels

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Tell me do you know which politicians have money invested in green energy?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Tell me do you know which politicians have money invested in green energy?
Generally, Democrats are smarter when it comes to looking at data and not "doing what we've always done". They don't always read the data correctly, but in this case, I can't see how anyone investing in green energy can be a bad thing. The free market will eventually take care of all of it, but damn, what's wrong with innovation?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I agree with you that it's much more about investment than a concern about resources.

But with that said, what's the old catchphrase... follow the money... and a good portion of it is going in this direction.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
BTW, does State still offer the "petroluem geology" curriculum? Had a friend that majored in PG but that was early 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login