You have to get one yard to win the game. And you

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I would have gone for it. If you don't make it, Arkansas still has to score a TD to beat you. I understand the FG means Arkansas can only tie you with a TD, but I don't like the thought of a kick return giving Arkansas good field position.

Just bottle them up deep and let your D win the game.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Jimmy Sexton’s sphincter probably got a nice workout today after CZA’s performance. What a career killer.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
If we’d have run to the right on 3rd, we make the FG and none of the rest matters. It was obviously the right call to kick the FG; especially with our kicker’s record. Not setting him up on the right hash was one of the DUMBEST calls I’ve seen.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Defiantly a coaching error. Wear is Petterson when we need him?******* I am pretty sure he will learn from it.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Seriously. Are we trying to cripple Marks for the rest of his life?

When he limped off holding his hammie, he should not have played anymore.
I thought last year he was one of those who is a little extra. This year has confirmed it to me. Good kid works hard, but maybe likes the heroic attention if you know what I’m getting at. Glad to have him, and I say give him whatever he needs, good back when he’s available.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
As far as I can remember we've run exactly one play all season from under center; v Arizona we ran a sweep out of I formation. Why we don't do more for short yardage boggles the mind. We made a lot of cowardly calls on 4th down today.

Anyone know what the hell our deal was with snapping the ball today? Place didn't seem all that loud.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I would have gone for it. If you don't make it, Arkansas still has to score a TD to beat you. I understand the FG means Arkansas can only tie you with a TD, but I don't like the thought of a kick return giving Arkansas good field position.

Just bottle them up deep and let your D win the game.

What part of our 205 yards of total offense today makes you think we could get the first down? Our kicker has been really good and it was 29 yards. Had we gone for it and not gotten it, the coaches would be catching absolute hell. Our coaches suck but that was the right call in this situation.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
What part of our 205 yards of total offense today makes you think we could get the first down? Our kicker has been really good and it was 29 yards. Had we gone for it and not gotten it, the coaches would be catching absolute hell. Our coaches suck but that was the right call in this situation.

Agree. Our kicker has been really good all year. You gotta take the points and trust the defense to do their jobs one more time.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
He definitely holds the all time hurt record for MSU
i started noticing last year that he was kinda fragile... i paid attention this year... he has been taken out of every single game this year for being hurt... not for long periods of time, but a couple series here , few plays there... he goes out then we have to put a true freshman in who fumbles the ball like he did today , or cant get a 1st down on 3rd and short. i like Woody , but damn,. if your that hurt maybe you shouldn t be dancing on TV during your coaches interview.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
i started noticing last year that he was kinda fragile... i paid attention this year... he has been taken out of every single game this year for being hurt... not for long periods of time, but a couple series here , few plays there... he goes out then we have to put a true freshman in who fumbles the ball like he did today , or cant get a 1st down on 3rd and short. i like Woody , but damn,. if your that hurt maybe you shouldn t be dancing on TV during your coaches interview.
His fragility hurts the team

Reactions: drexeldog23

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
It’s a 50/50 call for most folks. In that situation I’m going for the 1 yard to win the game instead of banking on a field, and then a kickoff. Either way the opposition still has to score a touchdown wether you make the field goal or even if you don’t get the first down. The negative side for me is you have to line up for a field goal with the possibility of a block and return. Them if you make it you still have to kick off and hope they don’t return it for a TD or almost a TD leaving them in striking distance. In that particular situation I’m rolling with Wright on a read option. I’d live with them having to go 90 yards with their offense if I don’t get it.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
If you get one yard, the game is over. If you make the FG, you still have to get a stop AND Arkansas is guaranteed to be at least 12 yards closer.

If you miss the field goal, they gotta go 87 yards to beat you. If you make the field goal, they gotta go (at best), 75 yards to beat you.

It’s really that simple. You can

1. End the game in one play

2. Miss the FG. String together 6 or 7 successful plays to beat them in regulation.

3. Make the FG. String together 6 or 7 plays to beat them in regulation. The only advantage here, is that if you fail on those plays, you at least have another 8 to try to win it.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Kinda like Hill, he’ll make a good play then come trotting off to the side line.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It’s a 50/50 call for most folks. In that situation I’m going for the 1 yard to win the game instead of banking on a field, and then a kickoff. Either way the opposition still has to score a touchdown wether you make the field goal or even if you don’t get the first down. The negative side for me is you have to line up for a field goal with the possibility of a block and return. Them if you make it you still have to kick off and hope they don’t return it for a TD or almost a TD leaving them in striking distance. In that particular situation I’m rolling with Wright on a read option. I’d live with them having to go 90 yards with their offense if I don’t get it.
The chances of getting the yard and making the FG are virtually the same. You should be able to do both 80% of the time, give or take. But the payoff is way, way more with the 1 yard. So, going for it is the obvious call.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Perhaps you are. And perhaps you missed the zoomed in shot of 5 different braces / apparatus he had on just one of his legs.
Yeah, but, he still played in the second half. He wasn’t that hurt. He definitely wasn’t injured. It is very similar to the Kylin Hill drama. Either you are tough, or you aren’t, Kylin wasn’t and is now trying to find a job outside of football. Marks is hurt every game.

Reactions: drexeldog23

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I didn't say our coaches made the wrong call. I said I would have gone for it. I just don't think the 3 points does you much good there because you have to kick off.

Last edited:

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
i'm saying it....it was a bad call. Southfarmchicken's analysis (above) is dead on.
your defense played really well today.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login