Your Against-The-Consensus Opinion…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
preacher_dawg’s post & thread inspired me…

My Against the Consensus Opinion:

Goat is one of the best posters & commenters in SPS.

• Goat is a discussion influencer who uses his contrarian rep to provoke thought.
• Goat possesses good logic which is often hidden because…
• Goat can be stubborn but I attribute that to schtick/online persona.

Many of you may think my opinion is stupid & that’s understandable because I know for a fact that it’s certainly against the consensus here.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Friendly debate (e.g. "PTI") that gets mildly heated is not only justifiable, it is also

....necessary. We can all disagree and be friends and go have a beer afterward.

If one wants total agreement, there are sheep and lemming packs that can be joined. I personally am open to debate, as long as the person doesn't start with personal attacks or telling me that I "should believe or subscribe" to some thing, belief, or ideology.

God gave humans high-functioning brains for a reason -- use them

So...more power to you and your opinion. Just don't foist it upon me like some do on this bulletin board

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It's an extroverted world man, and us introverts are just living in it. I do not expect most to understand me, and when someone does, I know they are likely introverted. I like to dive deeper and see the big picture and that makes many people uncomfortable.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Good grief, man, defending goat is *you're* problem.

Get a grip people, it was one win against a crappy rebel squad.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I split the difference and use "yer" for everything. No mistakes**

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's an extroverted world man, and us introverts are just living in it. I do not expect most to understand me, and when someone does, I know they are likely introverted. I like to dive deeper and see the big picture and that makes many people uncomfortable.

Well, I definitely feel like a piece of **** now.

Only seeing your posts and not knowing you in real life made me think you were a full time **** stirrer that argues with everyone in the checkout line at Kroger about their poor produce selection. It never occurred to me that you were kind of the opposite and this board was a place for you to let it all out so to speak.

Sorry dude. I won't 17 with you anymore. We will still disagree of course, but I won't be a dick about it going forward.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Sorry dude. I won't 17 with you anymore.
Saying you are 17-ing with someone infers that you actually bother the person. I welcome your input, especially when you comment, then claim you don't argue, then claim you're 17-ing with someone. It's not me who's being 17-ed with here.

But I'm also not DOING the 17-ing around, contrary to popular belief. Most people's anger is in their own head.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Professional sports are better than college. If it wasn’t for Mississippi State, I’d watch almost no college games in any sport.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Generally speaking, the NBA just sucks. The game and the analysts.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
After further review, I may have been hasty about the correction. Title with those hyphens was a little confusing:

You're Against- The Consensus Opinion
and-
Your "Against the Consensus Opinion"

My apologies to Eagle. Unlike goat, I'm here to admit my idiocy and accept my public flogging.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And a lot of people are angrier than before because they don’t like change.

I recognize that. With me being Aspergers, I prefer a routine & established schedule which hasn’t happened in a couple years.

SPS has been one of my outlets as well.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You’re cool by me — I’ve been upvoting your comments— and I can see how that can be confusing. It just looked more confusing to me without the dashes.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The NBA season is a grind. Can’t they just play each other twice and then have playoffs?

Or maybe an in-season tournament at the halfway mark?

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I don't always agree with Goat either but I do like his contrarian arguments. There is always a kernel of undeniable logic contained there in.

Why do some folks feel the need to go on the attack when someone post an opinion different from yours?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Well okay then. I still apologize for before. It's just an apology.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Goat makes valid points and backs up his thinking. Problem is when he interjects and basically tells the person they’re an idiot for thinking that way.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My interpretation has long been is that he likes to challenge people and wants them to demonstrate their rationale.

I wouldn't do it in that manner but that's why I often come across as pedantic and he doesn't.

My perspective is also different from a lot of folks.

Neither Goat nor I have called each other idiots. Our interactions have been positive.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yes! It’s the only basketball in the world that plays halves. Also get rid of the possession arrow jump ball.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Get rid of the 3-point shot in basketball . . . at all levels.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Get rid of the 3-point shot in basketball . . . at all levels.

It has seriously messed up the game as people have gotten smarter about the tradeoffs. In hindsight, it's pretty obvious that making it worth 50% more than a regular field goal was too much. Needs to be worth maybe 2.5 points. That would obviously make score keeping awkward. COuld make free throws worth 2, field goals worth 4, and "three" pointers worth 5, but that would be pretty jarring.

It would be gimmicky as hell, but I'd like to see the three point line only come into play for say the last 3 or 4 minutes or each quarter. Prevent teams from building their team around shooting threes, or at least leave an avenue for competing a different way.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Agreed. This is comparable to the NFL protecting the QB from being breathed upon to open up passing and more scoring.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Do you ever get the feeling that you’re having a battle of wits with an unarmed person?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I have found that people new to this format of discussion are easily rattled and respond with venom in many cases when others don't readily agree their opinions. I know when I first started posting on genes page years ago that I was easily offended. It didn't take me long to find out that I really wasn't influencing anyone with my opinion and neither were they. You just aligned with some while others disagreed then it becomes a long thread with people on both sides defending their collective opinions. Thankfully, that is how life progresses. It would be a very boring world if everyone thought the same. I've had my differences with Drebin and Golfer but I still respect their opinions. Sometimes I even agree with them. We all love Mississippi State so that is the biggest thing we have in common here.

Debating is healthy. Name calling is not because it is a personal attack. Of course, over the years even that doesn't bother me anymore. People become passionate when they believe something because perception becomes reality in their minds. I like to think that most people have good intent especially on here. Of course, you also have undercover posters that aren't State fans that stir the pot. They are the saddest group of people in our society. Their ultimate goal is to divide which is a sickness.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
While I’m not sure that I’d take it that far, there’s a part of me that truly wonders whether Barkley or Malone would have a place in today’s NBA. We already know that they wouldn’t be allowed to play physical defense in the same way that they were used to, but when it comes to today’s bigs, the league wants either a defensive athletic specimen or someone that can stretch things all the way to the 3 pt line. I’m honestly not certain how they’d fit in

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s just a generational change in the type of players in the game. You can say the same for football as well.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It’s just a generational change in the type of players in the game. You can say the same for football as well.
And baseball, which is arguably the worst offender of all. Bombs and velo/K's, that's all there is, to the point that people truly do not care about defense anymore.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'll throw this out there since it's sure to be hated and likely interpreted as trolling - and that's that Ole Miss football success doesn't bother me.

Explanation: At this point, I've accepted that Ole Miss and MSU must co-exist. One is not going to disappear, similar to Alabama and Auburn. And if it's good press for the state of Mississippi, I've rationalized that it can be good for MSU. 2014 was absolutely awesome, and we had to share that spotlight with them. I'm fine with that. The only way for these programs to take the next step is for the state to grow, which means we all have to work together. We have never taken advantage of their probation and them being 'down' so why even try to do it that way?

USM and maybe even Jackson State? Eh, not sure I like those 2 pulling fans away from the big two. If more people could be double-fans, i.e. like Jackson State and MSU, I might be for this, but so many JSU fans are angry and woke, that they just hate/hate/hate all the time on State/OM. USM fans generally have a burr under their saddle too, and we play them, so hard for me to support anything they do.

Baseball? I hate Ole Miss there, absolutely cannot stand anything to do with that program. The other sports? Who cares.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
1. College basketball was better when we had no shot clock.

2. The atmosphere at MSU football games from a standpoint of the band playing and the cheerleaders cheering during time-outs was better when with didn't have a jumbotron.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
While I’m not sure that I’d take it that far, there’s a part of me that truly wonders whether Barkley or Malone would have a place in today’s NBA. We already know that they wouldn’t be allowed to play physical defense in the same way that they were used to, but when it comes to today’s bigs, the league wants either a defensive athletic specimen or someone that can stretch things all the way to the 3 pt line. I’m honestly not certain how they’d fit in

They'd be less valuable, but they'd still be good. Of course if they had grown up in today's game they both likely would have shot more 3's and maybe been better at it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login