Youth baseball parents.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Anybody know the best way to convince youth baseball parents to STFU? We all know these truths, but no one seems to actually execute it in reality:

- Critical feedback/mechanics/etc. during a game never helps, only hurts, as that sort of thing is already forged through practice and it ain't changing during a single game;
- Baseball is not a 'GET FIRED UP' game like football, it's meant to be played on an even keel;
- It is a slow game, with few premium positions, and really boring for a lot of the other positions.

I've noticed the very best teams have this figured out. Of course, high school/college/MLB is this way. The AAA and major travel teams - where all the players are good, have accepted their roles, have been playing with each other for years, and all the parents are friends (at least in public) - employ this. But for the rest of the 80%, and all the new teams, rec teams, etc. - seems the parents are too stupid to understand things. Zero baseball knowledge outside of the 1984 get elbow up stuff. No knowledge of run production, or what the true fundamentals are. They think you aren't coaching if you aren't out there acting a fool every pitch.

All you hear is hollering at the fields every weekend, some of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. I guess I'm just ranting, as the craziness of the spring select circuit is about to start up. Tommy John surgeries in the making. Tucked in dri-fit shirts into gym shorts, shaved arms, you name it. And have you ever noticed the amount of one-use plastic bottling that a local baseball tournament can generate? It's mind-boggling. And always at least one fight. They don't always come to fisticuffs, unless they are from Meridian.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

graddawg

Jun 4, 2007
Anybody know the best way to convince youth baseball parents to STFU? We all know these truths, but no one seems to actually execute it in reality:

- Critical feedback/mechanics/etc. during a game never helps, only hurts, as that sort of thing is already forged through practice and it ain't changing during a single game;
- Baseball is not a 'GET FIRED UP' game like football, it's meant to be played on an even keel;
- It is a slow game, with few premium positions, and really boring for a lot of the other positions.

I've noticed the very best teams have this figured out. Of course, high school/college/MLB is this way. The AAA and major travel teams - where all the players are good, have accepted their roles, have been playing with each other for years, and all the parents are friends (at least in public) - employ this. But for the rest of the 80%, and all the new teams, rec teams, etc. - seems the parents are too stupid to understand things. Zero baseball knowledge outside of the 1984 get elbow up stuff. No knowledge of run production, or what the true fundamentals are. They think you aren't coaching if you aren't out there acting a fool every pitch.

All you hear is hollering at the fields every weekend, some of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. I guess I'm just ranting, as the craziness of the spring select circuit is about to start up. Tommy John surgeries in the making. Tucked in dri-fit shirts into gym shorts, shaved arms, you name it. And have you ever noticed the amount of one-use plastic bottling that a local baseball tournament can generate? It's mind-boggling. And always at least one fight. They don't always come to fisticuffs, unless they are from Meridian.

Eh, unfair shot at the Queen City. The age group we play in has 2 repeat offenders when it comes to showing their *** and getting physical--one from Brandon and one from Madison. No city has that market cornered...

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Going to disagree on the mechanics comment. I agree it is not the place to "work on mechanics" but it does most certainly help to remind when something is visibly wrong and the player has been working on it. A batter dropping his shoulder on multiple swings or a pitcher leaning (or turning their head) to one side while delivering the pitch. While it shouldn't be the parent correcting that, those are the type mechanics that can be reminded.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Our coach has a meeting before the season starts and lays out how it’s going to be in writing and makes the parents sign it. He isn’t scared to tell them to take a hike if they can’t abide by the guidelines set out, and tells them the consequences and that there will be no refunds.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2008
The problem with travel baseball is that there are too many players that have no business playing travel baseball. It’s watered down, yet it’s almost a necessary evil if you want your son to be able to get the skills necessary to play in high school and beyond. Playing “select” doesn’t mean anything anymore.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Our coach has a meeting before the season starts and lays out how it’s going to be in writing and makes the parent’s sign it. He isn’t scared to tell them to take a hike if they can’t abide by the guidelines set out, and tells them the consequences and that there will be no refunds.
This is the correct approach. The coach has to set the tone early. If it's a rec league, then it needs to come first from the league commissioner then from the coach. Some of these parents are going to receive a rude awakening from their child's high school coach, assuming they make the team, when they try some of that nonsense.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
…..are complete psychos who ruin everything for their kids and those around them.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Let me explain something, good coaches/programs don't ALLOW that ****. They tell the parents upfront that little Jimmy and fam will be on the road if it does. But daddy ball is all about that ****. If you see a lot of it, you're in daddy ball.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This is the correct approach. The coach has to set the tone early. If it's a rec league, then it needs to come first from the league commissioner then from the coach. Some of these parents are going to receive a rude awakening from their child's high school coach, assuming they make the team, when they try some of that nonsense.
My buddy coached lower level travel ball teams, he always told the parents, if you kid was good he wouldn't be here, he'd been recruited by one of the top teams. He also told the parents the biggest impact on a kid's success in sports is who the mom chose to mate with.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
My buddy coached lower level travel ball teams, he always told the parents, if you kid was good he wouldn't be here, he'd been recruited by one of the top teams. He also told the parents the biggest impact on a kid's success in sports is who the mom chose to

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
This is nothing new. When I came up we had a coach fight an umpire and several parents get ejected from the whole ball park. Yes I'm from Meridian.

Reactions: dorndawg

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
To answer the original question, tasers work well, but could lead to legal difficulties.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
The parents are who they are and aren’t going to change. Should factor the quality of the parents into the selection of the players in my opinion. Of course that is often counter to being able to win a $10 ring. If the parents you have are jerks then your best avenue is to try to make a positive impression on the kid so they don’t grow up to be jerks.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

My Dad, who attended every high school baseball game I played, made a spectacle out of himself only one time at one of my games. It happened when I pounded my bat in the ground after being rung up on a pitch that was outside. My Dad came to the back of the dugout and announced, quite loudly, that if he ever saw me show up the ump and embarrass myself or my family like that again, it would be the last time I played. No one said a word. And the behavior never repeated. Getting rung up on outside corner pitches repeated frequently, but the bat pounding and bad-mouthing ceased. Thanks, Pop.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Our coach has a meeting before the season starts and lays out how it’s going to be in writing and makes the parent’s sign it. He isn’t scared to tell them to take a hike if they can’t abide by the guidelines set out, and tells them the consequences and that there will be no refunds.
This. It's all about setting expectations on the front end.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
My Dad, who attended every high school baseball game I played, made a spectacle out of himself only one time at one of my games. It happened when I pounded my bat in the ground after being rung up on a pitch that was outside. My Dad came to the back of the dugout and announced, quite loudly, that if he ever saw me show up the ump and embarrass myself or my family like that again, it would be the last time I played. No one said a word. And the behavior never repeated. Getting rung up on outside corner pitches repeated frequently, but the bat pounding and bad-mouthing ceased. Thanks, Pop.
It's funny how that works.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

Honestly, I had worse parents when I coached Rec ball - oldest left after 8u and youngest after 7u

in travel, I’ve only had to fire a coach (my oldest son) for cussin players at 9u at the boys first tournament - should have cut his kid at that point

love my parents on our 11u team (youngest) - started with 12 kids at 8u, 3 decided to test the waters of other teams only to beg to come back - we’re still at 9 and have 3 forever pickups when available- it’s a AAA team

my oldest boys summer team and organization is fantastic as well - it’s a 14u Major team - parents are phenomenal - his school ball middle school team couldn’t compete in A/AA right now and it’s a struggle not to say something- he could be playing JV now but due to numbers (12 players at a 6A school) they won’t bring him up

I’m going to be biting my tongue a lot this year as I’m back around those rec parents

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
After just over 100 games of rec ball at our park, I'm taking a co-HC role this season and going to act like an assistant.
I will share that I'm the even keel guy and my teams play like it, but we lost the championship game this last fall to one that wasn't, and the previous spring all-star title game to an upbeat emotional team as well, so I've questioned that philosophy some lately.
The guy who is going to head things up wants more emotion out of the players, but seeing our roster, these aren't those kids, so we'll see how it goes.

As far as mechanics, I fall on the side of the kids need reminders during the game. I've literally told a kid walking up the plate the short version of our last mechanics session, then called time during the same at-bat to emphasize it again. Case-by-case basis, but I find that's helped more than hurt. Bear in mind this is 11/12 year-olds not off playing travel/select ball, so the want-to and drive is often lacking if they have skills (kids with both drive and skills have usually moved up in competitive level).

My kids lacks the drive, and I'm praying the light bulb comes on soon, because we are starting to run out of runway.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The problem with travel baseball is that there are too many players that have no business playing travel baseball. It’s watered down, yet it’s almost a necessary evil if you want your son to be able to get the skills necessary to play in high school and beyond. Playing “select” doesn’t mean anything anymore.
That's 'a' problem, but not 'the' problem. I totally agree with you, but that doesn't matter, select is all there is in the Jackson metro. I didn't create the system, but I know the rules. And your right, it's now basically an expensive rec league, without the draft. Sort of like college sports. Yeah I know there are still some rec leagues around, but they are awful, really just plumb sad.

Either way, I've gotten over that, because I can't change it. Only have one son so I'm not going to sit around and waste time thinking about how to change the system, just going to roll with it. I have an AA team, and I really hope we can notch some wins and get into AAA, even if we start losing. Seems like the BAD idiots get weeded out, although there are certainly plenty there too.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The parents are who they are and aren’t going to change. Should factor the quality of the parents into the selection of the players in my opinion. Of course that is often counter to being able to win a $10 ring. If the parents you have are jerks then your best avenue is to try to make a positive impression on the kid so they don’t grow up to be jerks.
No question. I try to have meetings too, seems that stuff gets forgotten. Guess I'll just enforce and if they leave, they leave.

I was a little late getting started. We joined up with a select team early on at 8U, left that a year later, and got back into select with another guy. We've been trying to really hard to make it a good experience for the parents but the nice guy has now worn off.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The timing of this thread- its January...is youth baseball in season right now?
This just seems like a rehash of other youth baseball threads Goat has started. Not complaining, they are entertaining, but just curious about the timing.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
After just over 100 games of rec ball at our park, I'm taking a co-HC role this season and going to act like an assistant.
I will share that I'm the even keel guy and my teams play like it, but we lost the championship game this last fall to one that wasn't, and the previous spring all-star title game to an upbeat emotional team as well, so I've questioned that philosophy some lately.
The guy who is going to head things up wants more emotion out of the players, but seeing our roster, these aren't those kids, so we'll see how it goes.

As far as mechanics, I fall on the side of the kids need reminders during the game. I've literally told a kid walking up the plate the short version of our last mechanics session, then called time during the same at-bat to emphasize it again. Case-by-case basis, but I find that's helped more than hurt. Bear in mind this is 11/12 year-olds not off playing travel/select ball, so the want-to and drive is often lacking if they have skills (kids with both drive and skills have usually moved up in competitive level).

My kids lacks the drive, and I'm praying the light bulb comes on soon, because we are starting to run out of runway.
I coach HS girls volleyball and also a club team. My approach is very similar to yours and I too have questioned that philosophy from time to time.
In the end, I come back to confidently accepting that there is more than one way to skin a cat and that definitely applies to coaching. You can show emotion/urgency during practices, but come gametime, being the calming presence in a group that may be there for the first time and not know how to process adrenaline/excitement/nerves is pretty beneficial.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This just seems like a rehash of other youth baseball threads Goat has started. Not complaining, they are entertaining, but just curious about the timing.
Then please.......try not to ruin this particular one. There is about a 80.17% chance that the thread goes to sh*t when you post.

I coach HS girls volleyball and also a club team.
Trust me......we know. You've told us this about 31 times.

But to answer your question in order to TRY and the keep the thread ruination at a minimum.....tournaments start here in mid-February. I myself am not doing that, but we are close to having our parent meeting and we will practice in February.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I've heard of youth soccer coaches handing out suckers to the parents at every game. It's practical, and sends a subtle message to STFU.
The problem with soccer is the coach is on the other side of the field. We play the majority of our games in Foley and with all of the parents yelling on side by side fields, he can’t tell who is yelling at whom.

I wish my daughter played golf. They can’t say **** out there.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
We start team practice next week (11u AAA)

Middle school started two weeks ago - coach told him yesterday and one other he’s sorry it’s probably boring for them but the others are way behind

i have watched practice a couple times - minus the 2 - my 11u team would kick their tails

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Rec baseball practice starts in 9 days for us.

Reactions: mstateglfr

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We start team practice next week (11u AAA)

Middle school started two weeks ago - coach told him yesterday and one other he’s sorry it’s probably boring for them but the others are way behind

i have watched practice a couple times - minus the 2 - my 11u team would kick their tails
Cool, good to know. Thanks for a helpful response.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So basically @mstateglfr is an idiot and needs to stick with volleyball
Multiple people managed to answer my question and we're helpful. Then there was you.

If you haven't figured out how to handle unrealistic parents after this many times asking/ranting/complaining/commiserating about them, its an unsolvable problem.

rockroman

Jan 26, 2023
Hello Friend!
Playing baseball keeps a person healthy. Baseball is a best game for health, etc. health is wealth.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login