Youth baseball parents.....

bullygrowl

Sep 29, 2022
We start team practice next week (11u AAA)

Middle school started two weeks ago - coach told him yesterday and one other he’s sorry it’s probably boring for them but the others are way behind

i have watched practice a couple times - minus the 2 - my 11u team would kick their tails
We started our team at 7u, now at 12u with local boys. Instead of trying to recruit the region, we decided to have these boys playing with each other all the way through high school. We were terrible through 9u, but, now pretty solid. 7 of them are at the same school and in 6th grade now. The Jr High and High school coach should have a good group to work with.

Reactions: onewoof

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I was always an assistant coach on my girls softball teams. This is my takes on some of these points.

Parents can be a PITA. I agree with the lay down the rules at the beginning and stick with them.

On telling kids fundamentals during a game. If you are under 15, it is all practice actually and as a coach I always reminded players of fundamentals during a game. Now I did have to talk to a few parents over the years if they were telling their kids the wrong things. I especially would correct those that were preaching individual goals that were against the team goals we were trying to ingrain into the players.

Umpires were the biggest problems during my coaching days. A good percentage of them did not know the rules. Those fools then did not like you telling them what the rules are. I would pull out the rule book and they would just lose it. I once got tossed for telling the umpire "that was a horrible call" in a normal speaking volume level. In my day, they were the only ones getting paid to be there.

Reactions: Bulldog45

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
That seems insane to me. The only time I ever played / practiced in the cold was High School.
Our rec league has evaluations next weekend with practice starting two weeks later.
As far as out competitive team our first tournament is the weekend of 2/17 and we have been practicing indoor a couple of times a week since early December. Mainly hitting and fielding. We haven’t let them throw y at all u til the last week or so

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That seems insane to me. The only time I ever played / practiced in the cold was High School.
It's all due to the parents. They demanded this, and it's what they got. Those tournament directors wouldn't be hosting these tournaments if they weren't sure that they'd be well attended.

Reactions: Bulldog45

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Hello Friend!
Playing baseball keeps a person healthy. Baseball is a best game for health, etc. health is wealth.
Hello Chatbot and welcome to SPS. Your auto-generated comments that often dont directly apply to the subject will likely seem tame and reasonable compared to the real people here.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Everything associated with baseball is insane now. Drives me crazy to see 8 & 9 year olds practicing baseball 2 times a week for 10 months of the year. For the ones that do soccer and baseball, they literally do not have a month without two practices. They basically take off a week here and there for holidays.

Other parents complain about their kids bitching about practice and I'm just like, yea, we'd have bitched too if we had to do two practices a week all year at 8 and 9 years old.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Everything associated with baseball is insane now. Drives me crazy to see 8 & 9 year olds practicing baseball 2 times a week for 10 months of the year. For the ones that do soccer and baseball, they literally do not have a month without two practices. They basically take off a week here and there for holidays.

Other parents complain about their kids bitching about practice and I'm just like, yea, we'd have bitched too if we had to do two practices a week all year at 8 and 9 years old.
Soccer and baseball are the worst offenders as far as fleecing parents for year round 'training' and tournaments. So yes, makes sense that the ones that do these 2 sports will have the most ridiculous schedule. I wouldn't be surprised to see some serious injuries in the next few years from my son's age group.

If more people would pick the football (flag or tackle)/soccer route in the fall, then basketball/volleyball (or whatever, hunting if you want, indoor soccer, etc.), then baseball/golf/lacrosse in the spring, they'd all be better off. I know there are other sports but you get my drift. At least until junior high, then specialize more.

It's always been funny to me, that football/basketball have the biggest payoff, are the cheapest to play, but the least amount of kids playing them. Baseball/soccer are much less profitable, yet suburban parents pay thousands for them. We all know the reasons why, but it's like people ignore the facts.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Touche'. One of the reasons we left Dallas. All my friends were constantly at kids games/practice/training for baseball, soccer, volleyball, or softball. They would drop $5k per kid per sport every year.

Baseball season is 6 weeks long in May/June here and most of they kids play in their jeans. My kids love it. I mean they all suck, but they have as much fun as we did when we were kids which isn't so bad.

Now Hockey season is a whole other story. It's ridiculously time consuming and the travel is crazy expensive. Every weekend they're gone 6-8 hours away (Bozeman - Jackson, WY - Salt Lake City - Sun Valley - Bend.) The worst part is they play mostly in ski towns in the winter where hotel rooms are $500+ a night. Luckily my oldest opted out of hockey and into golf this year, which is going to be much cheaper believe it or not.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Touche'. One of the reasons we left Dallas. All my friends were constantly at kids games/practice/training for baseball, soccer, volleyball, or softball. They would drop $5k per kid per sport every year.

Baseball season is 6 weeks long in May/June here and most of they kids play in their jeans. My kids love it. I mean they all suck, but they have as much fun as we did when we were kids which isn't so bad.

Now Hockey season is a whole other story. It's ridiculously time consuming and the travel is crazy expensive. Every weekend they're gone 6-8 hours away (Bozeman - Jackson, WY - Salt Lake City - Sun Valley - Bend.) The worst part is they play mostly in ski towns in the winter where hotel rooms are $500+ a night. Luckily my oldest opted out of hockey and into golf this year, which is going to be much cheaper believe it or not.
I honestly don't understand what parents want out of sports anymore. If I could snap my fingers and make a tradeoff where my kids would never play on a competitive high school sports team but would have active rec options through high school that they enjoyed, I'd make that tradeoff in a second. If you're not good enough to get paid to play, I just don't see the difference.

We took high school sports very seriously but at the end of the day, you could have probably taken the best 5 basketball players not on the basketball team at a big high school and destroyed us. Couldn't do that in football, but could have taken a second string at a good school and destroyed us. But nobody was sitting around talking about the fact that our competition wasn't that good and we were falling behind. I don't really understand why people can't have that same attitude towards elementary school baseball and soccer.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Don't have any sons in travel ball, but I have a nephew in 13u now, he's been doing it since 9u and we go to a lot of his games. I love observing the parents. Don't really see an issue with a dad who reminds his batter to choke up with 2 strikes, or who yells "Look alive 12!" at his right fielder who's daydreaming about the girls walking by or even the clever dad who reminds his on deck hitter that this pitcher likes to go changeup first pitch so be aware. The "detrimental advice" seems to come from every single mom who always in unison yell "CALL IT CALL IT CALL IT!!" when there's any ball hit in the air. STFU so the players can hear who calls it, instead of hearing you tell them to call it. Or when a runner rounds third and they all yell "HOME HOME HOME" to the outfielder who definitely doesn't have the arm to get it there. I immediately look for the coach and 100% guaranteed he's hanging his head because his outfielder is chucking a 3 hopper to the backstop that gives the batter an extra base.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I guess I am one of those parents. I have both a soon to be 14 and 11 yr old

We have tried playing different rec sports - soccer and football -terrible experiences - we do play pickup basketball occasionally

they both train year round but don’t play year round
- oldest will play about 70 games per year (25 will be the 6ish week school ball season - youngest 40-50 per year
- they both throw year round, however, both take time off from mound
- training includes lifting, speed and agility, and other plyometric work - it’s gotta be fun
- skill work is done nearly daily - those that hit often, hit often
- they work hard and have fun doing it

For me, it’s not about either getting a scholarship or even about playing at the next level - I know that a low percentage go on

everyone hangs their spikes up at some point, I did in juco

it’s about them developing a work ethic for pursuing something they say they dream about that may not come - they know that hard work guarantees them nothing but honesty, whether sport or anything in life

I’ve had parents ask me why given the probability - i usually say something along the lines of who am I to tell my kid what to dream to be when they grow up - they want to work and I can help, sign me up for that - oh the experiences and memories made thus far

outside of baseball- oldest wants to be a chemical engineer; youngest wants to be a pediatric urologist

what’s not to love about a kid that wants to help other kids during the day and hit tanks at night like Judge - keep dreaming kid

Reactions: mstateglfr

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
outside of baseball- oldest wants to be a chemical engineer; youngest wants to be a pediatric urologist
Damn, thats a helluva specific career track for an 11yo. Impressive.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

We have tried playing different rec sports - soccer and football -terrible experiences - we do play pickup basketball occasionally

they both train year round but don’t play year round
- oldest will play about 70 games per year (25 will be the 6ish week school ball season - youngest 40-50 per year
- they both throw year round, however, both take time off from mound
- training includes lifting, speed and agility, and other plyometric work - it’s gotta be fun
- skill work is done nearly daily - those that hit often, hit often
- they work hard and have fun doing it

For me, it’s not about either getting a scholarship or even about playing at the next level - I know that a low percentage go on

everyone hangs their spikes up at some point, I did in juco

it’s about them developing a work ethic for pursuing something they say they dream about that may not come - they know that hard work guarantees them nothing but honesty, whether sport or anything in life

I’ve had parents ask me why given the probability - i usually say something along the lines of who am I to tell my kid what to dream to be when they grow up - they want to work and I can help, sign me up for that - oh the experiences and memories made thus far

what’s not to love about a kid that wants to help other kids during the day and hit tanks at night like Judge - keep dreaming kid
And overall......it's fun. Yes it's fun for the parents, but it's also fun for MOST of the kids.

I mean what else are we going to do? Watch MSU sports?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And overall......it's fun. Yes it's fun for the parents, but it's also fun for MOST of the kids.

I mean what else are we going to do? Watch MSU sports?
I guess this is what I question because of all the bitching about it.

I'm sure it is fun at times, but it seems like the vast majority of parents and players would have just as much fun playing rec and not traveling and it wouldn't ultimately make a difference for most of the kids.

I also think age matters a lot. In Jr. High, any time spent playing or practicing sports is time that isn't available for getting in to trouble for the most part. That seems like a pretty good tradeoff.

In elementary school? It seems like very, very few of the players really like it that much. They want to do what their friends do but they don't seem to like practicing that much and I don't blame them.

As far as what else to do, for the amount of money spent on travel sports for elementary school students, I could come up with plenty of stuff. Water skiing I think is fun for kids to grow up doing. Fishing is good. Can do a lot of small trips. For the ones that really enjoy it, good for them. But for the ones that complain about it, seems like they are giving up quite a bit to do something they don't seem to enjoy.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Damn, thats a helluva specific career track for an 11yo. Impressive.
Well he’s been going to hid pediatric urologist since the day he was born. One of the best in the country and also one of the kindest gentlest persons I have ever been around- he’s had a profound impact on the boy - he’s also performed 6 surgeries on the kid

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I'm sure it is fun at times, but it seems like the vast majority of parents and players would have just as much fun playing rec and not traveling and it wouldn't ultimately make a difference for most of the kids.

I also think age matters a lot. In Jr. High, any time spent playing or practicing sports is time that isn't available for getting in to trouble for the most part. That seems like a pretty good tradeoff.

In elementary school? It seems like very, very few of the players really like it that much. They want to do what their friends do but they don't seem to like practicing that much and I don't blame them.

As far as what else to do, for the amount of money spent on travel sports for elementary school students, I could come up with plenty of stuff. Water skiing I think is fun for kids to grow up doing. Fishing is good. Can do a lot of small trips. For the ones that really enjoy it, good for them. But for the ones that complain about it, seems like they are giving up quite a bit to do something they don't seem to enjoy.
My question is, why keep doing it? FOMO?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Always love to tell the story of a parents of an MSU baseball player that made it to the bigs and did not start playing baseball until he was a freshman in high school.

Our youth coach for 5 YEAR OLDS at the time was asking what their secret was and what tips they had. The two parents looked at each other kind of puzzled and finally the father told him "we just kinda started going to see his high school games because he liked it a lot". That's all they did, no travel ball, no select, nothing.

Will always remember that.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Anybody know the best way to convince youth baseball parents to STFU? We all know these truths, but no one seems to actually execute it in reality:

- Critical feedback/mechanics/etc. during a game never helps, only hurts, as that sort of thing is already forged through practice and it ain't changing during a single game;
- Baseball is not a 'GET FIRED UP' game like football, it's meant to be played on an even keel;
- It is a slow game, with few premium positions, and really boring for a lot of the other positions.

I've noticed the very best teams have this figured out. Of course, high school/college/MLB is this way. The AAA and major travel teams - where all the players are good, have accepted their roles, have been playing with each other for years, and all the parents are friends (at least in public) - employ this. But for the rest of the 80%, and all the new teams, rec teams, etc. - seems the parents are too stupid to understand things. Zero baseball knowledge outside of the 1984 get elbow up stuff. No knowledge of run production, or what the true fundamentals are. They think you aren't coaching if you aren't out there acting a fool every pitch.

All you hear is hollering at the fields every weekend, some of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. I guess I'm just ranting, as the craziness of the spring select circuit is about to start up. Tommy John surgeries in the making. Tucked in dri-fit shirts into gym shorts, shaved arms, you name it. And have you ever noticed the amount of one-use plastic bottling that a local baseball tournament can generate? It's mind-boggling. And always at least one fight. They don't always come to fisticuffs, unless they are from Meridian.
Did this once and half the parents liked it, some didn’t care and a 1 or 2 literally met me at the gate after the game. Got tired of the dads coming to the end of the dugout coaching their kids. Announced before the game you come to the dugout your kid comes OUT of the game. Then asked if they were so intent on coaching why they didn’t volunteer like me and the other dad to coach by making the commitment for the season to be at every game and practice.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

My daughter is on the B Team and unless some competitive gene kicks in will never be a Star player. She is a goalie, and the only one on her team that actually enjoys playing it. I have asked her multiple times if she wanted to go back to Recand she said no because she likes her team, the extra goalie training, and the trips.

The team we are on is actually great, the parents all get along and we actually hang out, outside of soccer. Hell last year we had two other State grads on the team our age which is rare down here and now we are good friends.

You mentioned small trips, and that’s what we have. Over the last two years, we had weekends in Foley where we’d go to Owa, Panama City, Destin, New Orleans, and Fairhope. The only time I really ***** about it is when we have an 8 o’clock game in Foley in February and we aren’t staying there, or when we have a game when State is playing. Realistically we could save the soccer money and do those things ourselves, but her bonding with her teammates and the group of parents we have this year has been worth it.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Our rec league has evaluations next weekend with practice starting two weeks later.
What are rec league evaluations? They don't just randomly assign you a team?

Ours have always been purely random other than you can reserve a couple of kids for your team

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Always love to tell the story of a parents of an MSU baseball player that made it to the bigs and did not start playing baseball until he was a freshman in high school.

Our youth coach for 5 YEAR OLDS at the time was asking what their secret was and what tips they had. The two parents looked at each other kind of puzzled and finally the father told him "we just kinda started going to see his high school games because he liked it a lot". That's all they did, no travel ball, no select, nothing.

Will always remember that.
This ain't 1992 gramps. And it's not Sebastapol, either.

I may not like the system, but I know how it works. The days of being a great athlete and just walking out on the field and balling out are pretty much over. The kids are practicing - a lot. If you don't play you WILL get behind. I didn't say left behind, but it's just factual that you'll get behind. 95% of available kids are playing now anyway, so that random athlete like Deion Sanders pretty much doesn't exist. They've been found in this day and age of the internet, social media, etc.

That said, I'm not saying you need to play a sport year round. But during the season you play the sport, you better play and put in the reps. In all sports. They need to put in quite a bit of individual work before practice even starts, if they want to have a chance of standing out. Again, in all sports.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My daughter is on the B Team and unless some competitive gene kicks in will never be a Star player. She is a goalie, and the only one on her team that actually enjoys playing it. I have asked her multiple times if she wanted to go back to Recand she said no because she likes her team, the extra goalie training, and the trips.

The team we are on is actually great, the parents all get along and we actually hang out, outside of soccer. Hell last year we had two other State grads on the team our age which is rare down here and now we are good friends.

You mentioned small trips, and that’s what we have. Over the last two years, we had weekends in Foley where we’d go to Owa, Panama City, Destin, New Orleans, and Fairhope. The only time I really ***** about it is when we have an 8 o’clock game in Foley in February and we aren’t staying there, or when we have a game when State is playing. Realistically we could save the soccer money and do those things ourselves, but her bonding with her teammates and the group of parents we have this year has been worth it.
I tend to hear more about baseball, but when they talk about being in these places, it doesn't sound like they get to enjoy any of it outside of the tournament. A morning and afternoon game pretty much takes care of being able to go to the beach. And I'm not sure how common it is, but I'll hear people coming back from baseball tournaments and they talk about playing 5 games and getting back late Sunday night. I think that's usually assuming they make it to the championship game.

I guess maybe in Soccer, even with kids, they aren't going to load them up with 5 games in a weekend?

Soccer seems way less terrible here, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm not around the serious soccer parents as much or if we just don't really have a intense soccer culture because everybody cares more about baseball.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I may not like the system, but I know how it works. The days of being a great athlete and just walking out on the field and balling out are pretty much over. The kids are practicing - a lot. If you don't play you WILL get behind. I didn't say left behind, but it's just factual that you'll get behind. 95% of available kids are playing now anyway, so that random athlete like Deion Sanders pretty much doesn't exist. They've been found in this day and age of the internet, social media, etc.

That said, I'm not saying you need to play a sport year round. But during the season you play the sport, you better play and put in the reps. In all sports. They need to put in quite a bit of individual work before practice even starts, if they want to have a chance of standing out. Again, in all sports.

I don't know if I believe this, at least until Jr. High. I think there are plenty of athletes from less affluent families that could easily surpass my friends kids if they start playing in Jr. High. Most of them won't. They'll play football and basketball, but if they have a coach or somebody take an interest in getting them out there, athleticism still trumps at that age I think.

I think there's the top .1% or whatever of athletes that are going to fill most major college sports roster spots. They just have a level of athleticism that most people can't compete with. Then there is probably 4 times that many that are going to fill those spots as long as they have some exposure reasonably early. Then there's probably ten times that number that probably aren't going to get to play, but if they fall into the right circumstances, thtey may, and for those the practice starting in the womb maybe moves the needle on their chances. But the vast majority of thsoe kids aren't going to play regardless, and that's where most of the travel ball all stars fall. Obviously these numbers are wild *** guesses to an extent, but I see a lot of kids doing well at sports early but that don't have a parent that played college sports. Most of them, and I'm guessing no more than one of them, is going to play for a D1 school.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

the point is that someone can spend all their time and money squeezing a turnip, or start squeezing when its obvious its not a turnip.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know if I believe this, at least until Jr. High. I think there are plenty of athletes from less affluent families that could easily surpass my friends kids if they start playing in Jr. High. Most of them won't. They'll play football and basketball, but if they have a coach or somebody take an interest in getting them out there, athleticism still trumps at that age I think.

I think there's the top .1% or whatever of athletes that are going to fill most major college sports roster spots. They just have a level of athleticism that most people can't compete with. Then there is probably 4 times that many that are going to fill those spots as long as they have some exposure reasonably early. Then there's probably ten times that number that probably aren't going to get to play, but if they fall into the right circumstances, thtey may, and for those the practice starting in the womb maybe moves the needle on their chances. But the vast majority of thsoe kids aren't going to play regardless, and that's where most of the travel ball all stars fall. Obviously these numbers are wild *** guesses to an extent, but I see a lot of kids doing well at sports early but that don't have a parent that played college sports. Most of them, and I'm guessing no more than one of them, is going to play for a D1 school.
The reason we are talking about NIL and things like that is because the money is so big in sports, which means it's incredibly popular. All the kids with any ability play. You'd be amazed at what some of these kids can do.

You can reasonably mitigate a lot of these things and have a successful experience. But I would urge you not to go into denial about what's really going on. Remember, the best players are all playing against each other in the top leagues. So it's hard for athleticism to just totally take over.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Here's how we rolled:
1. Provide the rules upfront. It's fine to cheer kids. It's not ok to yell instructions or negative ********.
2. Parents can come to practice but their mouths will remain shut the ENTIRE practice, with no interaction with the kids til practice is over.
3. If we have to remind you more than once (unwritten rule), your *** is gone or your *** and your kids *** is gone if you want to argue.
4. Remind parents that college coaches will absolutely not touch a kid with a mouthy, stupid *** parent (unless they're crazy elite talent). They're killing their kids chance to play longer.
5. Remind parents to shut their stupid *** mouth for at least 24 hrs after play. Keep it positive. Ripping on kids and throwing too much **** at them is a killer.
One season we had to eliminate 3 kids/parents. They're all replaceable and should know that up front too. If the parents don't like something, disagree with the coaching, etc, they have the right haul *** anytime.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I tend to hear more about baseball, but when they talk about being in these places, it doesn't sound like they get to enjoy any of it outside of the tournament. A morning and afternoon game pretty much takes care of being able to go to the beach. And I'm not sure how common it is, but I'll hear people coming back from baseball tournaments and they talk about playing 5 games and getting back late Sunday night. I think that's usually assuming they make it to the championship game.

I guess maybe in Soccer, even with kids, they aren't going to load them up with 5 games in a weekend?

Soccer seems way less terrible here, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm not around the serious soccer parents as much or if we just don't really have a intense soccer culture because everybody cares more about baseball.
Yeah it’s not bad. Typically an early game and an afternoon one on Saturday and since we aren’t exactly the Brazil national team, we get the early morning Sunday consolation game. It’s funny because some parents on the other teams in our club complain so bad about when they get a 9 and a 5 on Saturday. We had that once last year in Foley and we loved it because it was a really good football day and we got to the sports bar at 10:30. We all hung out, watched football, fed the kids, then let the kids loose in the arcade next door while the Mom’s went shopping and the Dad’s “watched the kids”. Meaning we were drinking playing arcade games and going back to the bar to catch the games. Luckily our group is one that gets a few drinks in and stay supportive and fun, I have witnessed teams’ parents that aren’t the same way. It seems it’s always Louisiana or Central Mississippi teams.

Of course not all places are like Foley. Mandeville had a huge tournament and the location was not near anything. They had a lot of stuff on site for the kids to do in between but not for the parents. Clearly the coonasses were pros at this because there were tailgates everywhere watching the LSU Ole mIss game. This was one of the more impressive setups I saw.

Attachments

• 2DF05A02-53FF-415A-A87D-E2FB8BA1FC4C.jpeg
    2DF05A02-53FF-415A-A87D-E2FB8BA1FC4C.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 3

kired

Aug 22, 2008
the point is that someone can spend all their time and money squeezing a turnip, or start squeezing when its obvious its not a turnip.
lol, I cannot count the number of parents / kids I've know who have done the travel ball stuff. Spent countless hours and thousands of $$ practicing, traveling, playing. But I can count on one hand the number of those kids I've known who've made it beyond junior college.

I think it's great if people treat it as a fun sport for their kids, and the kids are enjoying themselves. But so many seem to think their kid is truly going to play at some higher level and that's just not going to be the case unless they are the absolute best of the best at every tournament they show up for.

Reactions: mcdawg22

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Its not as bad as some on here are making it sound. 3-4 games per weekend on average and we practice twice a week. Our winter workouts are twice a week indoor but is only hitting and fielding drills. Absolutely no throwing for a couple of months

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
lol, I cannot count the number of parents / kids I've know who have done the travel ball stuff. Spent countless hours and thousands of $$ practicing, traveling, playing. But I can count on one hand the number of those kids I've known who've made it beyond junior college.

I think it's great if people treat it as a fun sport for their kids, and the kids are enjoying themselves. But so many seem to think their kid is truly going to play at some higher level and that's just not going to be the case unless they are the absolute best of the best at every tournament they show up for.
That’s the parents that I can’t stand. I always tell people the best soccer player on my elementary team didn’t play soccer in college. He was too busy returning punts for TDs against Tennessee in 1998.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Its not as bad as some on here are making it sound. 3-4 games per weekend on average and we practice twice a week. Our winter workouts are twice a week indoor but is only hitting and fielding drills. Absolutely no throwing for a couple of months
I would like to see shift away from the weekend tournament model and more games during the week in a 'season' format. The setup of 'select ball' isn't really the problem in my mind, the problem is the games all crammed into a weekend, with a 'win at all costs' format.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I would like to see shift away from the weekend tournament model and more games during the week in a 'season' format. The setup of 'select ball' isn't really the problem in my mind, the problem is the games all crammed into a weekend, with a 'win at all costs' format.
Will never happen and I for one am thankful

win at all costs format - stop playing Grand Slam and USSSA then with their innings pitched BS and allowing 14u kids(u trip) to use a drop 5, which is effing dangerous

I watched a kid at Lakepoint who had just turned 13 register 102.7 mph exit velo with a 400 ft shot to dead center using drop 5 - now imagine bigger stronger 14u (or 15yr old reclassed) kids hit with that

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
What are rec league evaluations? They don't just randomly assign you a team?

Ours have always been purely random other than you can reserve a couple of kids for your team
Once they hit kid pitch here they do evals and drafts to try to even out the teams and ensure you’ve got a couple of kids at least on each team who can throw some strikes. It ranges from fairly skilled players to kids who don’t even know how to put a glove on so random assignment doesn’t always pan out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login