YouTube TV

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
im sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but i am looking to change providers. i had Hulu from Sept. 1st thru Jan 1st just for football. i liked it in general but i had extensive buffering issues. enough so that i had to call to complain several time. screw sling with their one espn stream at a time. i have narrowed it down to You Tube tv. can anyone of you in the know tell me about your experience with them. everything i have read says this is the one for me. anyone have any likes/dislikes they can fill me in on? im trying to do this in the next couple of days so any feedback would be appreciated.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
im sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but i am looking to change providers. i had Hulu from Sept. 1st thru Jan 1st just for football. i liked it in general but i had extensive buffering issues. enough so that i had to call to complain several time. screw sling with their one espn stream at a time. i have narrowed it down to You Tube tv. can anyone of you in the know tell me about your experience with them. everything i have read says this is the one for me. anyone have any likes/dislikes they can fill me in on? im trying to do this in the next couple of days so any feedback would be appreciated.

Love it.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
If it’s not Hulu then YouTube is the choice. Problem is if you’re buffering with Hulu you’re going to buffer with YouTube. Need to look at what’s up with your internet.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If it’s not Hulu then YouTube is the choice. Problem is if you’re buffering with Hulu you’re going to buffer with YouTube. Need to look at what’s up with your internet.
I'm sure there is one somewhere. Where would you find an application that would help you really test out your connection, router, and modem?

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I’ve used Sling and Yourube TV. YouTube TV is best in class. Do try to troubleshoot your internet issues. It’s most likely a Wi-Fi issue. Investing in a solid mesh router is money well spent and has cut out almost all the internet issues I had. Switching to Cspire fiber helped too. Cspire has a phenomenal fiber product.

Reactions: The Maroon Pug

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Haven’t found anything in the last 5 years that can beat it. $55/mo with my T-Mobile discount, it’s portable, and with the one exception of Bally Sports, I can’t think of any channels it doesn’t have. In my opinion, it has the most complete base package of any provider out there, and pretty much everything else can be tacked on as an add on

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I'm sure there is one somewhere. Where would you find an application that would help you really test out your connection, router, and modem?
Speed test is my go to for finding issues with my internet. Works on a phone or computer. It can help you find the root cause of your issues 95% of the time. Use it on your phone at your router as a baseline. If that is insanely slow plug in a computer to the modem/Ethernet directly to test your internet without the Wi-Fi. Otherwise go around your house and run it again in every room to find your dead zones. If you have dead zones you probably need a mesh router.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Had zero issues with YTTV. If you’re going to do live TV, it’s the way to go.

ETA: Forgot to add, I didn’t go to exclusive streaming until I got fiber internet at my house. Until you get that, you will probably have buffering issues with all streaming. My Netflix used to screw up all the time, ever since I’ve had fiber, no problems at all. I think my speed is 500 mbps.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I had slow, buffering Internet (MaxxSouth) and spent $130 on a mesh router and problems went away. Between their slow speed and crappy router it was bad

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
Have had YouTube tv for awhile now and have been very satisfied. I also second the other recommendations to check your internet and Wi-Fi for buffering issues.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
Help for the non-tech people. What is a mesh router and what does it do. Also, since I’m asking, do I need a VPN for my phone?

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Mesh routers have multiple nodes you place all around your house. They create a "mesh" network all over and you are handed off from one node to another as you move around.
The two benefits are better coverage area around your property and it is surely an upgrade over the crappy router your internet provider provides.

We're currently using the eero mesh from Amazon and have zero issues. You can get 3 nodes for under $200 (cheaper if you catch a sale). You can add more if you're in a huge house.

easy to setup, provides parental controls through your phone, etc.

Run Speedtest.net using wifi and plugged directly into the router. If there's a big discrepancy you have a crappy wifi router and you need a nice mesh router. if not try running it on your phone in different parts of the house. If you find bad zones you need mesh to increase coverage area. So in the end, getting a good mesh is most likely the answer.

if your speed tests are all low you need to call your provider and send them the screenshots of the tests. They're going to tell you it's because you have too many devices connected that are all eating up your bandwidth. So run tests with everything else disconnected and see what it you get.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Help for the non-tech people. What is a mesh router and what does it do. Also, since I’m asking, do I need a VPN for my phone?
The major difference between a regular router and a mesh router the extenders that come with it. The extenders take your Wi-Fi signal from the main router and rebroadcast it. This effectively eliminates dead zones or weak signals in rooms further away from your main router.

All my routers from now on will be a mesh system. It’s the best for any house over 1500 sqft. Even in a house that small you would notice a difference.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
We’ve had YouTube TV for several years and love it. Sorry if inappropriate, but I can send a referral link with a $15 discount if you want

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We have YoutTube TV paired with GoogleFiber. No real complaints with YTTV other than my local channels usually have a noticeable lag between the audio and picture. It’s better on cable channels for some reason. Hasn’t been a huge deal, because I usually am watching games on Network TV.

Google contractor sucked. Bad. But, the connection has been fine. I opted for the 2Gig connection which was probably pointless.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I've enjoyed it but just dropped it since college football is over. I get all the major networks via antenna. I have Peacock(free) since I use Comcast internet and it carries most of the Golf Channel's live coverage and has some other sports on it. And I currently have Paramount + and Showtime so have more than enough to watch. Basketball and baseball don't do much for me. I'll sign up for YTTV in Sept.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
one of the times i called Hulu over the buffering issues i was told i had latency issues. my latency , also called PING was at 76 i believe, and i was told that the latency needed to be in the high 50's. im sorry but that meant absolutely zero to me. Hulu said that was Comcasts problem. if there are anyone of yall that can explain latency to me i am all ears. also my buffering problems were always on live tv. if i was watching a movie or something non live i had zero problems.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Latency (or ping) is the time it takes to send a packet of data from your house to the server and come back. I'd argue anything over 20 is too high but over 50 is definitely too high.

You just need to figure out where the slowness is happening. It's either bad wifi, bad internet service, or slowness at the server you are pinging. It could be bad router settings as well.

You will have to find the problem because your internet provider will blame you (for having too many devices connected and using all the bandwidth) or they will blame Hulu or YouTube for being slow.

YouTube will blame the internet provider (and they're probably right).

So you can argue with those guys for months or you can do some quick tests to determine if a mesh router will solve the problem.

85% of the time it's a crappy router the companies provide
13% of the time it's crappy bandwidth from your provider
2% of the time it's the company you are trying to stream from.

those stats are completely made up but I'd bet they aren't far off.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Also, Speedtest will tell you the ping as well. Download it on your phone and see what it says. It's free.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve got You Tube TV but it’s my only experience with streaming so I can’t compare. It does compare favorably with my previous Direct TV. I have lightning fast fiber and I still have one TV that buffers from time to time. It’s the newest and most expensive TV I have, the older TVs with Firesticks never seem to buffer. I think it’s the TV. I may put a Firestick on it and test that theory.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
Mesh routers have multiple nodes you place all around your house. They create a "mesh" network all over and you are handed off from one node to another as you move around.
The two benefits are better coverage area around your property and it is surely an upgrade over the crappy router your internet provider provides.

We're currently using the eero mesh from Amazon and have zero issues. You can get 3 nodes for under $200 (cheaper if you catch a sale). You can add more if you're in a huge house.

easy to setup, provides parental controls through your phone, etc.

Run Speedtest.net using wifi and plugged directly into the router. If there's a big discrepancy you have a crappy wifi router and you need a nice mesh router. if not try running it on your phone in different parts of the house. If you find bad zones you need mesh to increase coverage area. So in the end, getting a good mesh is most likely the answer.

if your speed tests are all low you need to call your provider and send them the screenshots of the tests. They're going to tell you it's because you have too many devices connected that are all eating up your bandwidth. So run tests with everything else disconnected and see what it you get.
Thanks!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Latency (or ping) is the time it takes to send a packet of data from your house to the server and come back. I'd argue anything over 20 is too high but over 50 is definitely too high.

You just need to figure out where the slowness is happening. It's either bad wifi, bad internet service, or slowness at the server you are pinging. It could be bad router settings as well.

You will have to find the problem because your internet provider will blame you (for having too many devices connected and using all the bandwidth) or they will blame Hulu or YouTube for being slow.

So you can argue with those guys for months or you can do some quick tests to determine if a mesh router will solve the problem.

Could you explain all this to me ?

Attachments

• B563C028-AAA1-4772-847A-509A60886263.png
    B563C028-AAA1-4772-847A-509A60886263.png
    271 KB · Views: 12

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Also, Speedtest will tell you the ping as well. Download it on your phone and see what it says. It's free.
is it actually called Speedtest? i do remember the Hulu tech having me download something on my phone and that is how we found out the latency problem. i just couldn't remember the app. much appreciated ...

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
For the record, I have YTTV without fiber internet speeds (we have a pretty standard MaxxSouth package) and it still works really well for me. Left DirecTV for YoutubeTV about three years ago and it was a great decision.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
one of the times i called Hulu over the buffering issues i was told i had latency issues. my latency , also called PING was at 76 i believe, and i was told that the latency needed to be in the high 50's. im sorry but that meant absolutely zero to me. Hulu said that was Comcasts problem. if there are anyone of yall that can explain latency to me i am all ears. also my buffering problems were always on live tv. if i was watching a movie or something non live i had zero problems.
Comcast/xfinity internet will drop during peak hours causing worse ping and down up speeds. They’ll also throttle your intent if you go over their usage cap.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
Get ready for texts like "TOUCHDOWN!!" and "17!" about 30 seconds or so before you see it on your screen.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022

Comcast/xfinity internet will drop during peak hours causing worse ping and down up speeds. They’ll also throttle your intent if you go over their usage cap.
it was always a problem during Hulu live streams , so much so that i had to let Hulu go. i have sling for the time being and i have never had one buffering issue during live streams on sling.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
The major difference between a regular router and a mesh router the extenders that come with it. The extenders take your Wi-Fi signal from the main router and rebroadcast it. This effectively eliminates dead zones or weak signals in rooms further away from your main router.

All my routers from now on will be a mesh system. It’s the best for any house over 1500 sqft. Even in a house that small you would notice a difference.
Yeah, not That it matters, but extenders are not the same as a mesh network.
as far as YouTube TV, I was a fairly early adopter and it’s been fine. But the $70 a month with all the other streaming **** I pay for is getting a little old.
im seriously considering cancelling.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
+1 endorsement for the Eero Mesh. That and fiber internet have been the ticket for me.

Robust internet service is the single key step to successful steaming. I've had Hulu for a long time and like it fine. As long as I can get all the college football there is to get, I'm satisfied.

Reactions: drexeldog23

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think You Tube TV has a free trial period. I have C Spire. It is good but way too expensive. I am considering trying it even if there is not a free trial period and cancel C Spire after if I like it.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Not necessarily Hulu buffers like a mother Fer at my house. I can run 5 HiRes YouTubeTV shows at the same time while playing XBOX online no problems. Hulu and their interface sucks balls.

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
Anyone got one of these?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login