YoutubeTV / ESPN

OneWhoWas

Dec 5, 2017
please do it yttv - drop that bill by $15 then add espn+ for 70/year. take that $9 and have a starbucks 2x per month. win win

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think ESPN+ includes the regular ESPN/SEC Channels on YTTV.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Sure but the trend isnt good and we are seeing first hand why when ESPN has so much leverage over these folks.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
As if cable companies and networks never do this exact same "negotiating" ploy?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm amazed at the number of posters that are subscribing to all of these services to get all the channels they had on cable and expect to pay less? Really? No streaming company told you that would be the case, they showed you what you get for their price and you subscribed to it.
My mother in law pays $188 for cable (no internet) and I bet she doesn't watch 10 channels at the most but she has to get the particular packages in order to get all of those channels. Sounds like some of you (including my mother in law) need to either get a hobby instead of laying on your couch and parking your kids in front of the thing and mindlessly punching buttons, or, learn to subscribe to a service and watch a few months then unsubscribe to different services at different times of the year. I've got internet, a Roku, Amazon Prime, an antenna on the roof and bounce between Hulu and Netflix about every 6 months or so. Including internet I'm under $75/mo (unless you include Prime) and can't watch everything. During football I might subscribe to Sling for less than $50 for ESPN

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

My dad mentioned they havent had ABC for over 2 months now because Dish is arguing with some company...Taga?...whatever. Its crazy that an over the air station can be kept from customers. That **** is free with an antenna...why does it cost so much for Dish?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
My dad mentioned they havent had ABC for over 2 months now because Dish is arguing with some company...Taga?...whatever. Its crazy that an over the air station can be kept from customers. That **** is free with an antenna...why does it cost so much for Dish?

Companies (that have no relation to the TV industry at all) buy up the local ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS affiliates with the hope they can price gouge the cable/satellite/fiber companies. Dish is the one that most often tells them to go 17 themselves

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Companies (that have no relation to the TV industry at all) buy up the local ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS affiliates with the hope they can price gouge the cable/satellite/fiber companies. Dish is the one that most often tells them to go 17 themselves

Yeah, its just odd that ABC is free if someone uses an antenna, but it costs Dish money to take that same information and send it to that same person.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Yep. i have Dish, and they've removed the local Fox station (WZDX) and it's been off for at least two months now. Seems like they're squabbling over local stations just about all the time. Fortunately, over-the-air works fine. If they were to have issues with ESPN, the only option would be a streaming service.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I'm amazed at the number of posters that are subscribing to all of these services to get all the channels they had on cable and expect to pay less? Really? No streaming company told you that would be the case, they showed you what you get for their price and you subscribed to it.
My mother in law pays $188 for cable (no internet) and I bet she doesn't watch 10 channels at the most but she has to get the particular packages in order to get all of those channels. Sounds like some of you (including my mother in law) need to either get a hobby instead of laying on your couch and parking your kids in front of the thing and mindlessly punching buttons, or, learn to subscribe to a service and watch a few months then unsubscribe to different services at different times of the year. I've got internet, a Roku, Amazon Prime, an antenna on the roof and bounce between Hulu and Netflix about every 6 months or so. Including internet I'm under $75/mo (unless you include Prime) and can't watch everything. During football I might subscribe to Sling for less than $50 for ESPN

Cable is not an option out in many rural areas. Heck, we just now got decent internet and these online options are way cheaper than Satellites. I am good.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Are these two clowns going to get their issues worked out? For anybody that doesn't know, their agreement comes to an end Friday. They're already saying they'll lower the bill $15, but I have very little reason to continue it and I'm guessing I will have lots of company.

I was trying to update YTTV on my Roku tv 2 weeks ago, not knowing of their dispute. So I deleted YTTV
, my primary TV viewing source and searched the channel store to reload it, when much to my dismay, it was not there. I’d basically bricked my TV(yeah I could have bought any number of other plug in devices).
Thankfully last weekend, they came to an agreement and it’s back.

Roku has gone from just being a device, to being a content provider

Last edited:

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Me too… and I really like YouTube tv. But hell Espn is about the only reason I have any tv package. All the stuff the kids watch is on Disney plus or Netflix
This. The ONLY reason I can see that I need any streaming service of the sort like YTTV, SLING, etc, is Live sports. That’s it. I can watch local news, national news, etc on Roku apps. Netflix, prime, etc covers most others. I probably watch YouTube more,than anything.

Last edited:

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
It’s not YouTubeTV’s fault. They are growing because they have a great product and now media companies are coming to them wanting more money because YTTV has more eye balls.

What’s different hear is you’re dealing with Google. And this YTTV deal is a good side gig for them but it’s peanuts to the overall business.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
Me too. I'm plenty happy overpaying for Comcast/Xfinity. Yes, it costs more. But I never have to worry about picture or sound quality, buffering, which channels just got dropped. And I get a much more easy to use and functional DVR and remote.

i’ve never had these issues with YTTV and I disagree with you on functionality. It doesn’t get any simpler with YTTV.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010

Ok boomer..

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Supposedly they added a backdoor to the YouTube app to access YouTube TV. Fortunately I haven't had to try it.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Local cable provider Sparklight (how about that name) raised their price to $160 a month for basic cable service. Got a friend's help to try to hook up Roku and YTTV and couldn't do it. Explored on the net and found out about their feud. Backed out of that and got HULU. After a short time HULU was giving me an error message. Worked around the problem. This stuff done got out of hand.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login