Zach Salmon has his work cut out for him

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
do it jewish GIF

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
How many threads are we going up having about the same subject? We're all on the same page. We need something to happen now unfortunately it's not going to happen now unless our new athletic Director has bigger balls than I think he does. I have never seen a team explode and destroy itself this badly since the Sylvester Croom days. I still believe that one. This is all said and done we're going to find out there were some really big problems that we had no idea were going happening.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Lemonis should be fired tonight. It’ll only hurt the program to let him hang around.
Haven't been on this train until now. Foxhall shouldn't be let back in the locker room to get his stuff. This isn't middle school. This is a top notch national championship program. They both need to be fired tonight. No excuse for this. Outscored 55-9 in our last three SEC games.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm normally not a quick trigger guy when it comes to firing coaches, but something is obviously very, very wrong. This is not normal stuff, even for really bad teams. A change has to be made as soon as possible.

Agreed. This goes beyond both bad talent and bad coaching…..or even both put together. There’s something toxic in our program right now.

Oct 20, 2022
AD should take a good HS Coach with him and clandestinely watch our practices (using that word loosely). Hearing they are very strange and quite different. A little perspective may be helpful.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I hope Selmon has the ballsack to handle this massively critical hire.
Not sure if I’d classify a baseball hire as “massively critical”, maybe it’s massively critical for the ego of our fanbase, but that’s about it.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I guess there is truth to the statement "we are M State" and not in a good way when it comes to the propensity to 17 things up.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I bet the businesses of Starkville would beg to differ that this is only about ego.
Meh. How much money is actually spent in Starkville on baseball weekends? There are open hotel rooms in Starkville this weekend. The majority of the MSU baseball fanbase that regularly attends games brings their own food/beer to the games and lives within a hour drive of Starkville.
If you want to treat baseball as a true Revenue Sport….
1 Raise Ticket Prices- if Season Tickets are sold out every year that means the tickets are underpriced.
2. Ban Coolers and Grills. If you are going to eat and drink at the game, MSU needs to be getting that revenue, not the DG in Noxapater.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Meh. How much money is actually spent in Starkville on baseball weekends? There are open hotel rooms in Starkville this weekend. The majority of the MSU baseball fanbase that regularly attends games brings their own food/beer to the games and lives within a hour drive of Starkville.
Of course there are open hotel rooms. We are awful. Compare the June 2021 revenues to June 2022 revenues of a lot of businesses. I imagine it’s significant. It brings people to town especially when we are as good as we can be. I was at Two Bros on a Monday night in June 2021. It was packed. We are losing money for a limited amount of time but it’s not even an amount worth caring about in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
At Mississippi State, it's the second biggest hire an AD will ever make.

In baseball its a bit different because unless you have half a decade of negligence like we did with Polk II, we’re going to get good interest and at least get some at least short term success from just about anyone we hire. See Cannizarro, who was a clown. Even Lemonis, for everything that has happened, was still no worse than our 2nd best baseball hire since 1997. He did an outstanding job for 3 years….which is of course hard to fathom right now. We’ll make a good hire who can rebuild quickly and sustain, or an average one who will still probably improve things short term and be a bridge to the next guy. For us right now, there’s nowhere to go but up.

When I think “critical hire”, I think its a hire that if we don’t get it right we could set ourselves back 5-10 years. I just don’t think we’ll ever be at that point in baseball. And with the transfer portal its hard to see it ever getting that bad in any sport for an SEC school that is competently managed.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
I hope so, but what evidence makes you think this way?

The guy has never been an AD and is now faced with deciding the direction of our baseball program.

It is a crapshoot, much like it was with Cohen.
To be fair, when Cohen hired Indiana‘s baseball coach he’d already lost out on his top 5 or so candidates. I just think Cohen screwed that hire up all by himself, and I don’t see a guy that’s done everything it took to be a great AD candidate himself screwing it up. I doubt if his ego will get in the way of making a great baseball hire. That’s what appeared to me to happen to Cohen when he settled for Indiana’s coach.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I just think Cohen screwed that hire up all by himself.

Except he didn’t screw it up, because it wasn’t a bad hire. Regardless of where we are now, you still can’t take those first 3 years, the natty, 2 national seeds and 2 CWS off the board.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
Except he didn’t screw it up, because it wasn’t a bad hire. Regardless of where we are now, you still can’t take those first 3 years, the natty, 2 national seeds and 2 CWS off the board.
There were a lot of State fans that were skeptical about Lemonis. A ton of Indiana fans felt he was a good recruiter and decent game day coach. But they said he really struggled to develop talent.

Did Lemonis bring us the Natty finally? Yes.
Are we seeing exactly what Indiana described as his deficiencies? Yes.

It was considered very underwhelming at the time, considering we could’ve had other similar coaches at the time that were and have been considered better than Lemonis.

Now none of that negates that fact that he did a fantastic job navigating the program the first 4 years with fairly established guys.

What changed? Seems we started recruiting a different type of player than we were. These guys don’t seemingly have a ton of grit about them. When they fail they freak out.

This also doesn’t explain a seemingly lack of development of the players outside of a few. Kellum Clark is virtually the same guy he was 3 years ago.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I bet the businesses of Starkville would beg to differ that this is only about ego.
If hypothetically Selmon’s tenure lasts 10 years, he could eff up 2-3 baseball hires and be fine if football and basketball are successful.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
If I’m Selmon I’m scheduling 1 on 1 interviews with every baseball player this week, starting with the captain, Hancock. Something is broken and he needs to figure out what it is toot sweet.
This is what I've been thinkin'. I wonder how often AD's do that under these circumstances.

patdog

May 28, 2007
To be fair, when Cohen hired Indiana‘s baseball coach he’d already lost out on his top 5 or so candidates. I just think Cohen screwed that hire up all by himself, and I don’t see a guy that’s done everything it took to be a great AD candidate himself screwing it up. I doubt if his ego will get in the way of making a great baseball hire. That’s what appeared to me to happen to Cohen when he settled for Indiana’s coach.
I think part of what we’re seeing is the result of the chaos Cohen allowed to exist in baseball after he took the AD job. We thought we’d dodged that bullet, but it looks like the effects of what looks like a much worse hire then it did 2 years ago and some poor recruiting have caught up to us with a vengeance.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login