Zach Salmon has his work cut out for him

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There were a lot of State fans that were skeptical about Lemonis. A ton of Indiana fans felt he was a good recruiter and decent game day coach. But they said he really struggled to develop talent.

Did Lemonis bring us the Natty finally? Yes.
Are we seeing exactly what Indiana described as his deficiencies? Yes.

It was considered very underwhelming at the time, considering we could’ve had other similar coaches at the time that were and have been considered better than Lemonis.

Now none of that negates that fact that he did a fantastic job navigating the program the first 4 years with fairly established guys.

What changed? Seems we started recruiting a different type of player than we were. These guys don’t seemingly have a ton of grit about them. When they fail they freak out.

This also doesn’t explain a seemingly lack of development of the players outside of a few. Kellum Clark is virtually the same guy he was 3 years ago.

I mean something certainly changed around middle of last year. Big time. But for the first 3.5 years, recruiting, coaching, development, and culture were all happening at the same clip as they always did for every successful stretch of MSU baseball.

Recruiting - Lemonis staff brought in Bednar, Harding, Preston Johnson, Stone Simmons, and Scotty Dubrule who were all critical pieces of the natty team. RJ Yeager and Colton Ledbetter were great portal finds on these teams that of course aren’t so great.

Coaching - I mean, any critical blunders in the first 3 years anywhere?

Development - TA, Foscue, Westburg, Rowdey, Landon Sims, Kam James, and many others from the first few seasons all got better every year. Most of those only played significantly under the Lemonis staff. Even last year, RJ Yeager came in and put up significantly better numbers against SEC competition than he did against the teams in whatever the hell conference Mercer is in.

Culture - we won the national title in Year 3, after losing 2 MLB first round picks and a 2nd round pick who got 1st round money. That means we had great culture sustained for at least 3 seasons. That doesn’t happen by accident. Had he won it in Year 1 maybe you could argue we had culture issues the whole time. Not the case. The staff has obviously lost the team now and aren’t getting them back, so its fair to say this has been the biggest area of deterioration in years 4 and 5.

We all know what has to happen. This sucks. But the tenure was still generally great for MSU for obvious reasons.

Reactions: NukeDogg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If hypothetically Selmon’s tenure lasts 10 years, he could eff up 2-3 baseball hires and be fine if football and basketball are successful.
I cant remember the last time we fired an AD so I don’t even know what the barometer for that is. But thats not my point. My point is being good in baseball is important for more than ego. Id bet it is second in impact to the stark economy when we are good next to FB

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Yeah I think Cohens ego and mouth got in the way there.
I got lucky here in Fort Worth during the process and met a TCU insider who said Schloss told him it was a done deal. The guy was not happy about it as he told me. What happened after that I don't have a clue but TIFWIW. I'm assuming rumours are still encouraged.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Seems like a great opportunity for a young outsider AD to win over fans quickly. How hard would it be for a competent AD to walk a handful of the best coaches in the country around the Dude, point to the championships on the outfield wall, and come out with a major upgrade?

I assume he was hired to get some of the Emstate thinking and execution out of Starkville. This would be good time to start...

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
do it jewish GIF
This is a good thing. He’ll have a chance to prove himself making a hire in our only blue blood sport. Zero margin for error and zero future here if he fumbles it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login