Skip to main content

Ohio State 5-star WR commit Chris Henry Jr. shuts down recruitment, cancels other official visits

Wg0vf-nP_400x400by:Keegan Pope04/01/25

bykeeganpope

LSU checked in on a 5-star as the coaches hit the road for the week. (Photo: Chad Simmons/On3)
(Photo: Chad Simmons/On3)

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei five-star wide receiver and Ohio State commit Chris Henry Jr. has shut down his recruitment and will no longer take scheduled official visits to Oregon, USC or Miami, according to On3’s Hayes Fawcett.

Henry has been committed to the Buckeyes for nearly two years, giving them a verbal pledge all the way back in July 2023. Multiple schools remained in contact with him though, and he visited the Ducks and Trojans on a handful of occasions in the preceding months.

The Hurricanes had locked in an official visit with him for May 30, while USC and Oregon were set to host him the following weeks.

“Ever since I moved out here a lot of teams have definitely been on me more…it’s been a little stressful,” Henry said of his recruitment last month. “It’s really just Oregon, USC and Miami right now. Those are the schools I’ve been talking to the most.”

However, the Buckeyes and receivers coach Brian Hartline look to have convinced him that he didn’t need to do any more looking around.

Relationship with OC/WRs coach Brian Hartline is strong

Rumors floated during the offseason that Hartline would leave for another job, but Henry didn’t put much stock into those.

“Honestly, I knew (Hartline) wasn’t gonna leave,” he said. “Him being from Ohio, he bleeds Ohio State, I knew he was gonna stay so I wasn’t really worried about it at all,” Henry said. “We’re real close, we talk about every week. We always have good talks, chop it up, we’ve been building this relationship since eighth grade.”

Henry, who is originally from Ohio before moving out to Mater Dei before his junior season, is scheduled to return to Columbus this weekend for an unofficial visit before his official visit the weekend of June 20.

The 6-foot-5, 195-pounder is the No. 14 overall prospect in the 2026 class, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He also ranks as the nation’s No. 2 wide receiver and the No. 3 recruit in California.