OT: TMB Movie Club - Use this thread for feature films in theaters or streaming....

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
The Tragedy of Macbeth is on AppleTV today starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. Filmed in black and white, looks fantastic and directed by Joel Coen. Getting great reviews. Will watch it tonight.

A visually stunning film. This aids in the story telling as Shakespearean dialogue can be somewhat difficult to follow.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
The long layoffs in series and movie theater closings have given me a new appreciation for TCM and the Fox Movie Channel. Whether it's Cat on Hot Tin Roof (Elizabeth Taylor wasn't just a pretty face) and Burl Ives turning in masterful performances, or silent movies like Flesh and the Devil and a fully restored Metropolis with its previously lost footage, there are some great movies out there. The silent movies often have fantastic and emotive performances with themes and topics that are very "adult" even by today's standards. The 1930's version of Jeckyl and Hyde was much more edgy than the 1940s version with Spencer Tracy. Some of the scales of the movies, movies like Cleopatra and Metropolis, are bigger than today's movies with cgi galore.

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
Good time for a late 2021/early 2022 movie dump. I'll start with PIG (Hulu). Quite frankly the best movie I've seen in a few years and I can't believe I'm saying that. I didn't know anything about it but had been hearing great things about Cage and how nuanced and restrained his performance is (it is both of those things and also quite delicate). It's a quick film too - clocks in at right around and hour and a half. It's definitely a character study and deals with some big themes through his point of view (love, loss, grief, isolation) and his effort to get his stolen pet/companion pig back. It does have him racing through the backdrop of the Portland restaurant/foodie scene too which is fun for foodie types (myself included). I don't want to give too much away because I think the last act is tremendous, but highly recommend the movie and think Nic Cage is Oscar bound again this year. Just a lovely, moving performance and terrific film.

Next up is Power of the Dog (Netflix). Also highly recommend. It's written/directed by Jane Campion, so it's very pleasing to look at; the camera just marinates on the beauty of everything. For those who don't know, the plot revolves around two brothers (Benedict Cumberbatch and Jesse Plemons) who run a ranch in Montana. They're well to do and comfortable until George (Plemons) upsets everything by marrying a widower and having her (Kirsten Dunst) and her son (Kodi Smit-McPhee) move in. Phil (Cumberbatch) is especially upset with this move and makes life hard for George's new wife and son (who is quite effeminate). The first half of the movie sort of plods along with Phil finding new ways to torment his brother's new family, but things pick up in the second half and when the ending hits you'll likely want to watch again for everything you missed.

We also watched The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson and as much as I wanted to love this movie, which is told as a series of vignettes from articles in the twee-est newspaper imaginable, the sum is less than the parts. There are couple of pretty good vignettes though - the one about the convicted artist (Benicio del Toro) who finds an unlikely muse in the form of his beautiful captor (police officer played by stunning Frenchie and Bond girl Lea Seydoux - who leaves nothing to the imagination here....) - is my favorite. The others are funny and charming but often go on too long. Many of the Anderson hallmarks are present including Bill Murray, but even for Anderson the film is really self-indulgent and probably two vignettes too long. I think it's fine, but unless you're a massive Anderson fan, you might find this a bit tough to sit through (after the Seydoux vignette that is...which thankfully happens very early in the film).

Finally, in anticipation of the Oscars we watched Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut The Lost Daughter (Amazon Prime). It stars Olivia Colman as a college professor/writer who takes what she hopes will be a quiet 'working' vacation on a beach in a little Greek town, but she runs into a family on vacation (from the US, and likely involved in some 'organized' activity) and becomes friendly with the daughter, played by a shockingly stunning Dakota Johnson. Johnson has a small daughter and through them you start to learn about Colman's past and her difficulties and struggles with motherhood (which is not something you see very often in this format). It's sometimes very hard to watch (especially as a parent), but the performances are top notch and you really have no idea what will happen from one scene to the next. Great film and stand out performances by Johnson and Colman (dare I say the best living actor??). Highly recommend.

Still need to get to Dune, The Worst Person on Earth, Annette, C'mon C'mon, Belfast, and some others. I also saw the Princess Diana film Spencer but don't have the energy for a review at the moment - still parsing it....
Thanks for this. I love Westerns and started watching Power of the Dog a couple of times…fell asleep each time. I’ll definitely give it another go after reading your post.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Anyone else watching 1883? (on Paramount +)
I'm really enjoying it, compelling story, well produced, seems very detailed and "realistic".

I haven’t watched Yellowstone but I love westerns. Definitely gonna check this out.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Good time for a late 2021/early 2022 movie dump. I'll start with PIG (Hulu). Quite frankly the best movie I've seen in a few years and I can't believe I'm saying that. I didn't know anything about it but had been hearing great things about Cage and how nuanced and restrained his performance is (it is both of those things and also quite delicate). It's a quick film too - clocks in at right around and hour and a half. It's definitely a character study and deals with some big themes through his point of view (love, loss, grief, isolation) and his effort to get his stolen pet/companion pig back. It does have him racing through the backdrop of the Portland restaurant/foodie scene too which is fun for foodie types (myself included). I don't want to give too much away because I think the last act is tremendous, but highly recommend the movie and think Nic Cage is Oscar bound again this year. Just a lovely, moving performance and terrific film.

Next up is Power of the Dog (Netflix). Also highly recommend. It's written/directed by Jane Campion, so it's very pleasing to look at; the camera just marinates on the beauty of everything. For those who don't know, the plot revolves around two brothers (Benedict Cumberbatch and Jesse Plemons) who run a ranch in Montana. They're well to do and comfortable until George (Plemons) upsets everything by marrying a widower and having her (Kirsten Dunst) and her son (Kodi Smit-McPhee) move in. Phil (Cumberbatch) is especially upset with this move and makes life hard for George's new wife and son (who is quite effeminate). The first half of the movie sort of plods along with Phil finding new ways to torment his brother's new family, but things pick up in the second half and when the ending hits you'll likely want to watch again for everything you missed.

We also watched The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson and as much as I wanted to love this movie, which is told as a series of vignettes from articles in the twee-est newspaper imaginable, the sum is less than the parts. There are couple of pretty good vignettes though - the one about the convicted artist (Benicio del Toro) who finds an unlikely muse in the form of his beautiful captor (police officer played by stunning Frenchie and Bond girl Lea Seydoux - who leaves nothing to the imagination here....) - is my favorite. The others are funny and charming but often go on too long. Many of the Anderson hallmarks are present including Bill Murray, but even for Anderson the film is really self-indulgent and probably two vignettes too long. I think it's fine, but unless you're a massive Anderson fan, you might find this a bit tough to sit through (after the Seydoux vignette that is...which thankfully happens very early in the film).

Finally, in anticipation of the Oscars we watched Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut The Lost Daughter (Amazon Prime). It stars Olivia Colman as a college professor/writer who takes what she hopes will be a quiet 'working' vacation on a beach in a little Greek town, but she runs into a family on vacation (from the US, and likely involved in some 'organized' activity) and becomes friendly with the daughter, played by a shockingly stunning Dakota Johnson. Johnson has a small daughter and through them you start to learn about Colman's past and her difficulties and struggles with motherhood (which is not something you see very often in this format). It's sometimes very hard to watch (especially as a parent), but the performances are top notch and you really have no idea what will happen from one scene to the next. Great film and stand out performances by Johnson and Colman (dare I say the best living actor??). Highly recommend.

Still need to get to Dune, The Worst Person on Earth, Annette, C'mon C'mon, Belfast, and some others. I also saw the Princess Diana film Spencer but don't have the energy for a review at the moment - still parsing it....
I like the “pig” with cage surprisingly good.

huge no on lost daughter. Man that movie dragged on. Ugh.

eternals was not very good. Dune was ok, we will see what happens In part two.

matrix was disappointing to me. Didn’t know what to expect.

Spider-Man no way home was pretty good. Can’t give it away so it was cool what they did.

American underdog was ok. Interesting how he stayed with it and believed in himself.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I'm really enjoying it, compelling story, well produced, seems very detailed and "realistic".

I want to watch 1883 but not paying for paramount plus.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

I like it. I like the characters, especially Thomas and the cinematography is excellent.

Reactions: ManxomeLion

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Has Has anyone here seen the new Batman movie? Thoughts? What did you think of it? Worth seeing in the theater or wait till it's on video?

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Has Has anyone here seen the new Batman movie? Thoughts? What did you think of it? Worth seeing in the theater or wait till it's on video?

I thought it was great especially in IMAX. Very dark atmosphere but held my interest for the near 3 hour running time. I would say it is an “adult” version of Batman. Paul Dano as Riddler was wacko. When the updated Batmobile (a souped up muscle car) roars to life in IMAX, it actually shakes the seats! I would see it in the theaters, especially IMAX, you’d miss out on the overall visceral experience.

ewb75

Oct 7, 2021

I took the kids last night, @Midnighter and everyone raved when it was over. I was sort of surprised, as they are all older teenagers and have grown up in the cinematic universe of Marvel. I thought it was very well done. I thought it was truer to the original story of Batman- a dark, gritty soul that is a great detective. He did have his gadgets, but not like in other movies. Was pleased with the overall cast as well. Loved this version of the Batmobile. Agree with @rudedude that it is an adult version of Batman. But I am a diehard Batman fan, so it would have had to really suck for me to totally pan it. That is why I mentioned that the kids loved it, and even said they would like to see it again. Would be very close to Dark Knight Rises for me as my favorite.

PROTIP- go to the bathroom before going into the movie and skip the coca cola.... it is every minute of 3 hours... lol. That said, never lost interest and neither did the kids.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I took the kids last night, @Midnighter and everyone raved when it was over. I was sort of surprised, as they are all older teenagers and have grown up in the cinematic universe of Marvel. I thought it was very well done. I thought it was truer to the original story of Batman- a dark, gritty soul that is a great detective. He did have his gadgets, but not like in other movies. Was pleased with the overall cast as well. Loved this version of the Batmobile. Agree with @rudedude that it is an adult version of Batman. But I am a diehard Batman fan, so it would have had to really suck for me to totally pan it. That is why I mentioned that the kids loved it, and even said they would like to see it again. Would be very close to Dark Knight Rises for me as my favorite.

PROTIP- go to the bathroom before going into the movie and skip the coca cola.... it is every minute of 3 hours... lol. That said, never lost interest and neither did the kids.

Happy to hear this! Hoping I can see it on the big screen.

Reactions: ewb75

Chatz5531

Oct 7, 2021

It was fine. Could have used an editor and shaved off 25-30 minutes. Didn’t seem like they knew quite how to end it. And while Pattinson was fine as Batman, there are others that have been better.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
It was fine. Could have used an editor and shaved off 25-30 minutes. Didn’t seem like they knew quite how to end it. And while Pattinson was fine as Batman, there are others that have been better.

I haven’t seen it yet but am looking forward to it. Would love to see some kind of sustained effort with Batman/DC - they have a lot of pieces in place (especially with talent) but they seem to be more interested in multiple, self contained worlds with various versions of characters. This version of Batman looks interesting and certainly dark, but how long can you keep someone like Robert Pattinson around?

⚠️SPOILERS⚠️

I see they released a deleted scene of Batman and Joker in Arkham…I like this version and the actor (Eternals and Dunkirk’s Barry Keoghan). I don’t really like Joker’s look, but that’s really secondary.

Barry Keoughan

Last edited:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I haven’t seen it yet but am looking forward to it. Would love to see some kind of sustained effort with Batman/DC - they have a lot of pieces in place (especially with talent) but they seem to be more interested in multiple, self contained worlds with various versions of characters. This version of Batman looks interesting and certainly dark, but how long can you keep someone like Robert Pattinson around?

⚠️SPOILERS⚠️

I see they released a deleted scene of Batman and Joker in Arkham…I like this version and the actor (Eternals and Dunkirk’s Barry Keoghan). I don’t really like Joker’s look, but that’s really secondary.

Barry Keoughan

I don't mind "dark" as in general feeling and mood of the movie but damn could you throw in another 60 watt bulb or 2 geesh.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I just watched Whiplash for the first time. Wow! i never thought a movie about concert jazz could be so intense, and enjoyable. J. K. Simmons was amazing in his role as Terence Fletcher. The academy award was well deserved, although you could argue he was just shy of co lead actor.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I just watched Whiplash for the first time. Wow! i never thought a movie about concert jazz could be so intense, and enjoyable. J. K. Simmons was amazing in his role as Terence Fletcher. The academy award was well deserved, although you could argue he was just shy of co lead actor.
Well about time. Damn good movie right?! Amazing performance.

Reactions: Got GSPs

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Also, i watched a couple of westerns recently that are worth checking out. One is Ole Henry starring Tim Blake Nelson and The Ballad of Lefty Brown, starring Bill Pullman.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The Batman is now streaming on HBO Max. I watched it last night and really, really enjoyed it. It's a long movie, and really, really dark, but well cast and moves at a solid pace. They do a lot of world building in a short amount of time and I for one was really happy they didn't once again show Batman's origin (though it's talked about). Pattinson is an excellent Batman (maybe my second favorite ever after Bale) but not as physical or as imposing as Bale. He's a brawler, not a trained ninja. He's got fewer tricks and tech to work with and since the movie is about trying to solve the Riddler's puzzle (which involves the murder of various public figures and reaches to the highest levels of Gotham politics) he mostly does investigative work and interrogation (he does have a cool pair of contact lenses he wears to record everything he looks at). His Bruce Wayne is not living a dual lifestyle like Bale's - this Bruce Wayne is a recluse who makes very few public appearances and it shows; he's awkward, introverted, and extremely brooding. Other standouts are Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, Colin Farrell as Penguin (who is mostly a Tony Soprano-type thug who works for the mob bosses), John Turturro as Carmine Falcone, and Jeffrey Wright as a pitch perfect James Gordon (he's not Commissioner yet).

The Riddler (Paul Dano) could have easily been The Joker, and if you've read this thread you know The Joker was cast and a scene with him was shot (but not used in the film, which was a smart move). The riddles and ways Batman solves them is really cool - it's definitely a 'mystery' movie but does fall apart a bit at the end; the reveal just isn't a impactful as I was hoping. Still, my expectations were fairly low so I was really delighted with how much I enjoyed it.

I'd defintely like to see them expand this version of Batman and focus on Joker next; recommend if you're on the fence.

Also, his Batmobile slaps.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I caught the last 30 minutes of Beverly Hills Cop over the weekend. It was enjoyable. I forgot how engaging Eddie Murphy was. He certainly had charisma and star power. It was nice seeing the familiar faces of other popular 80’s actors. One face I recognized played one of Stuart Maitland’s henchmen that gets shot by Murphy and the police Captain… it was Jonathan Banks who we know now as Mike Ermantrout from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I caught the last 30 minutes of Beverly Hills Cop over the weekend. It was enjoyable. I forgot how engaging Eddie Murphy was. He certainly had charisma and star power. It was nice seeing the familiar faces of other popular 80’s actors. One face I recognized played one of Stuart Maitland’s henchmen that gets shot by Murphy and the police Captain… it was Jonathan Banks who we know now as Mike Ermantrout from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

Great Gilbert Gottfried scene in there too!

Reactions: ODShowtime

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
The Northman: if you have enjoyed other Eggers films then this one is for you. A brutal mix of Vikings, seers, mythology, and Hamlet thrown in. Visually stunning and very brutal at times. The scene of the beserkers attacking the village was similar to the one long shot done in True Detective S1.
I enjoy historical films and if you do also, then this one is for you.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Everything Everywhere All At Once: great insane action film that has a lot of humor as well as emotion. Michelle Yeoh was great and, lo and behold, her husband is played by the old Indiana Jones Short Round character, Ke Huy Quan. Also has Jamie Lee Curtis, James Hong (Lo Pan in Big Trouble in Little China), and Jenny Hsu. A wild multiverse romp that is actually a story about families and relationships. Worth seeing. Be prepared to be exhausted by the end!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
There was a really good tv shows in the late 80s or early 90s called Wiseguys. Banks played an FBI agent handling a deep undercover agent. He was excellent in that role.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Anyone watch The Big Conn on Apple TV?
True story
follows the story of Eric C. Conn, a Kentucky attorney who managed to steal over $550 million dollars from the U.S. government through its Social Security program.

all of it true. In real life I know many of the players. The Judges, Sarah etc and heard many first hand accounts of what DB was doing
It’s next on my list

Reactions: Hlstone

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
There was a really good tv shows in the late 80s or early 90s called Wiseguys. Banks played an FBI agent handling a deep undercover agent. He was excellent in that role.
I remember that show, but didn’t watch it much. Totally forgot Banks was in it, think of Ken Wahl With that show. Also didn’t know that Kevin Spacey was in it.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Oh - I had fairly low expectations for Dune but absolutely LOVED it. It's visually stunning and the cast was really, really great. Love that Walken will be in the sequel too.
Yeah, part 1 was great. Never read the book and forgot much from the previous movie so it’s basically new to me.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So I finally made it to my 2nd movie showing at a movie theater since the start of the pandemic. It was the birthday of the wife of a couple we're friendly with, so she got to pick the flick. We saw Ticket To Paradise. It's a rom-com starring George Clooney and Julia Roberts. Those two stars, and most of the movie taking place in Bali, what could go wrong?

Unfortunately, quite a bit could go wrong. It's not a bad movie; just not one I would waste time and money seeing in a theater. When it eventually gets to TV, it's worth a look, but not before then.

On a 5-star scale, I'd give it a 2.5 or a 3.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
So I finally made it to my 2nd movie showing at a movie theater since the start of the pandemic. It was the birthday of the wife of a couple we're friendly with, so she got to pick the flick. We saw Ticket To Paradise. It's a rom-com starring George Clooney and Julia Roberts. Those two stars, and most of the movie taking place in Bali, what could go wrong?

Unfortunately, quite a bit could go wrong. It's not a bad movie; just not one I would waste time and money seeing in a theater. When it eventually gets to TV, it's worth a look, but not before then.

On a 5-star scale, I'd give it a 2.5 or a 3.
There’s nothing worse than a bad rom-com. I have a goodly list of favorite rom-coms, but they’re a chore to get through when they don’t work.

Reactions: ODShowtime

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
There’s nothing worse than a bad rom-com. I have a goodly list of favorite rom-coms, but they’re a chore to get through when they don’t work.

lol, I would agree with you on that. When they work, they are magical. When they don't work, they are a bore.

In re-reading my review of Ticket To Paradise, I may have been a tad harsh. The movie works. It's just not as cute, or as clever, as it seems to be striving for. When the credits came on at the end, I was left feeling as though, yeah, it was entertaining, but either the plot was too thin, or the screenwriters didn't do enough with the plot.

Latest posts