OT: TMB Movie Club - Use this thread for feature films in theaters or streaming....

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
lol, I would agree with you on that. When they work, they are magical. When they don't work, they are a bore.

In re-reading my review of Ticket To Paradise, I may have been a tad harsh. The movie works. It's just not as cute, or as clever, as it seems to be striving for. When the credits came on at the end, I was left feeling as though, yeah, it was entertaining, but either the plot was too thin, or the screenwriters didn't do enough with the plot.
But I've heard that the outtakes are good

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
No mention of All Quiet on the Western Front? I thought it was incredible. The French counter-attack near the end is the most harrowing cinema I've seen since the opening of Saving Private Ryan blew my head off in the theater.

The book is better, the movie doesn't do the best job of getting in the characters' heads, but it's still a great insight into WWI trench warfare.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
No mention of All Quiet on the Western Front? I thought it was incredible. The French counter-attack near the end is the most harrowing cinema I've seen since the opening of Saving Private Ryan blew my head off in the theater.

The book is better, the movie doesn't do the best job of getting in the characters' heads, but it's still a great insight into WWI trench warfare.
I have not put it on my schedule yet but will now. How does it compare to the recent 1917. That was wild, a continuous shot thru the entire film.

Reactions: Midnighter

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I have not put it on my schedule yet but will now. How does it compare to the recent 1917. That was wild, a continuous shot thru the entire film.

I thought 1917 was excellent, but it was a different kind of film. That was a thriller set in WWI. This is a WWI movie. It's anti-war but not in your face. They spend a good amount of time behind the front, but their time at the front is visceral and horrifying. One minute they're killing men in cold blood, the next minute they are stuffing themselves on those mens' charcuterie and French bread & cheese because they have eaten nothing but potatoes for the last year. You get to know Paul and his friends, but if you've read the book...

The clock is ticking down to armistice as people are thrown into the fire like kindling, to keep the bonfire burning for some perverse reason. Honor? Glory? There's nothing honorable or glorious about this.

retsio

Oct 13, 2021
I have skipped to page #3 - so I hope the following movie titles are not a repeat.

#1 - 'Land' .... Robin Wright - hopeful triumph over despair and hopelessness, filmed in Canada
#2 - 'Infinite Storm' .... Naomi Watts - true, filmed on Mt Washington, bravery beyond words
#3 - 'Night Owls' .... a football coach theme (?)
#4 - 'Before We Go' - Chris Evans and Alive Eve - where is that special Love we can struggle through life with
#5 - 'It Was Always You' - should have this Romance statement in your Life !
#6 - 'The Family' - Dinero

My movie list of special favorites is 4 pages in length -- let me know if you would like to have it !

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Watched on Dropbox and what a wonderful movie. A nice change from war, superheroes, sci-fi, and horror. So well done I highly recommend it.
Thanks looking forward to seeing that.
I watched Devotion on Pramount+ the other night and liked it. Maybe a tad too long but other than that I thought it was well done. Jonathan Majors and Glen Powell were very good together.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Best actress to not win an Oscar. Would for her to get one but it’s a tall order against overwhelming favorite Cate Blanchett.
Weird winners happen all the time at the Academy Awards. Have not seen Tar yet. Has not shown up on Dropbox yet. The site to go to for current films. Need the email and PW from insiders.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Weird winners happen all the time at the Academy Awards. Have not seen Tar yet. Has not shown up on Dropbox yet. The site to go to for current films. Need the email and PW from insiders.

I think CB is about as much of a lock as there is this season but sure - stranger things and all.
Williams is very deserving and way overdue.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Thought this was a hell of a documentary, but then, I’m close to 74 yrs old.

Even those who don’t like Don McLean’s song “American Pie” have you to admit that it’s a distinctive pop culture achievement. A nearly eight-and-a-half minute allegory that goes from mournful to infectious to mournful again, the monster 1971 radio hit is seemingly known to all generations and still sung at bar-closing times the world over.

“That last fact is according to this reverent documentary about the song. Directed by Mark Moormann, the movie travels all over America to bring home the idea that “American Pie” says something profound about the country. It interweaves McLean’s biography with an account of the last days of the ’50s rockers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper, creating a compelling narrative about the effect the plane crash that took their lives in 1959 had not just on young McLean, but American music itself. The movie then alternates with a history of McLean’s professional career (including his mentoring by the folk legend Pete Seeger) and scenes in which stars including Garth Brooks rhapsodize about the song.”

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
Watched The Menu on HBO Max last night. I highly recommend it (though it also most certainly will not be for everyone - it's a black comedy of sorts). It was also not at all what I was expecting, but I absolutely loved it.
I liked the movie; don’t know how crazy I was about the ending.

Reactions: Woodpecker

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Watched The Menu on HBO Max last night. I highly recommend it (though it also most certainly will not be for everyone - it's a black comedy of sorts). It was also not at all what I was expecting, but I absolutely loved it.

Also loved it - posted a separate thread sort of linking it to the closing of Noma….

Thread 'FC/OT: One of the best restaurants in the world is closing…and HBO Max’s ‘The Menu’….'
https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/...-is-closing…and-hbo-max’s-‘the-menu’….849799/

Reactions: wbcbus

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
I liked the movie; don’t know how crazy I was about the ending.

I was really worried I wasn't going to like how it ended, but for me it landed well. I completely understand why many wouldn't like it though.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
I'd watched the Chef's Table episode on Noma, and it was exactly what I was thinking about early on in this movie.

Apparently I was mistaken, it must’ve been the Bourdain Parts Unknown episode on Copenhagen when I saw Noma. The Magnus Nillson episode of Chef’s Table is what I was thinking of. One of the dishes is a scallop with evergreen branches around it. Felt exactly like the scallop on the rock dish on The Menu.

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Apparently I was mistaken, it must’ve been the Bourdain Parts Unknown episode on Copenhagen when I saw Noma. The Magnus Nillson episode of Chef’s Table is what I was thinking of. One of the dishes is a scallop with evergreen branches around it. Felt exactly like the scallop on the rock dish on The Menu.

Started watching this and did Nillson’s episode first - just so ambitious and creative and inspiring to watch. He seems like a pretty good guy too; the scallop dish and the ashy egg dish are tremendous. I read that the restaurant is closed now.

Reactions: wbcbus

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
@Midnighter: Tar is a real slow moving film with quite a bit of classical music/composing scenes and background. This film is not mainstream at all, Blanchett is good in it but, IMO, compared to Michelle Williams in the Fabelman’s, no contest. Tar will not be for everyone which means it will win all the awards! 😂😂😂😁

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I see All Quiet on the Western Front is up for some Oscars, as it should be. I can't believe no one else has anything to say about this powerhouse war flick.
On my to watch list. Maybe will
watch today in between shoveling treks.

Reactions: ODShowtime

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I just re-watched the attack and counterattack sequence again, that is hardcore.

"Soldiers March"

Did you just knock it out this morning?

I fudged this up it sucks posting on my phone with all this BS ads moving around.

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
What I’ve seen of Netflix’s You People has been a joy ride of cringe-inducing comic genius.

Full disclosure: am only 56 minutes into it with another 60 to go. That’s plenty of time for it to round back into mediocrity. 🤞

Latest posts