OT, how many remember this?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I used to ride the train. Drank two 5th's one night as a dare. Puked about 2/3 the way through the 2nd bottle, washed my face off to cool down and kept going. ETA: Patdog, it was your younger brother who dared me.
I drank a bottle of night train once. It’s the only time I’ve ever gone from sober to hungover with no buzz in between.

• Haha
Reactions: Mjoelner

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
my wife went face down in the shag rug in 1973 with the help of Strawberry Hill. That's when she found out she couldn't keep up with young Air Force pilots!

Reactions: Drebin and stateu1

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I would really love to interview the founders. I can't imagine anyone brewed a batch of that stuff, tasted it, and said you know we should invest in and mass produce this.

It was good for one thing only. If you brought it to a party and put it in a community cooler, nobody would steal your beer.

If they did, they'd only do it once.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Good ole Boones Farm, strawberry or wild mountain grape. Brings back lots of memories from my time at State in the early 1970’s. It was cheap and all we could afford. A night with a good date, a bottle of Boones Farm, and WLS a.m. radio out of Chicago coming in nice and clear. Life was simple and good. I miss those days.

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
Good ole Boones Farm, strawberry or wild mountain grape. Brings back lots of memories from my time at State in the early 1970’s. It was cheap and all we could afford. A night with a good date, a bottle of Boones Farm, and WLS a.m. radio out of Chicago coming in nice and clear. Life was simple and good. I miss those days.
or KAAY out of Little Rock......... before FM converters.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
or KAAY out of Little Rock......... before FM converters.
I was not familiar with KAAY and it might have come along after my time. We grew up listening to Larry LuJack on WLS in the 1960’s and 70’s. It would not come in during the day but after the small local stations either went off of the air or reduced their power in early evening WLS at 89 on the a.m. dial ( our only dial ) would start coming in and we could listen to it until about 6:00 the next morning. It was clear in good weather but if the weather was bad it had a lot of static. After I got grown and went on my first business trip to Chicago we had some time to kill before my flight home and the local guy I was traveling with ask if there was anything that I would like to see so I had him drive me by the WLS RADIO STATION. He was amazed that is the station we grew up listening too. It was just a small cinder block building with a little neon sign in the window but it was a significant part of my life. I was just a poor little country boy that had never been anywhere. I would listen to them tell about the weather on Lakeshore Drive or something and they might as well have been talking about the moon. It never occurred to me back then that you could actually travel there from Mississippi. To me it seemed like that would be a million miles away. Anyway, I have enjoyed this little trip down memory lane and Boones Farm. It made my day and made me wish I was young again.

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
I was not familiar with KAAY and it might have come along after my time. We grew up listening to Larry LuJack on WLS in the 1960’s and 70’s. It would not come in during the day but after the small local stations either went off of the air or reduced their power in early evening WLS at 89 on the a.m. dial ( our only dial ) would start coming in and we could listen to it until about 6:00 the next morning. It was clear in good weather but if the weather was bad it had a lot of static. After I got grown and went on my first business trip to Chicago we had some time to kill before my flight home and the local guy I was traveling with ask if there was anything that I would like to see so I had him drive me by the WLS RADIO STATION. He was amazed that is the station we grew up listening too. It was just a small cinder block building with a little neon sign in the window but it was a significant part of my life. I was just a poor little country boy that had never been anywhere. I would listen to them tell about the weather on Lakeshore Drive or something and they might as well have been talking about the moon. It never occurred to me back then that you could actually travel there from Mississippi. To me it seemed like that would be a million miles away. Anyway, I have enjoyed this little trip down memory lane and Boones Farm. It made my day and made me wish I was young again.
In Scott County, we listen to 62 wjds in daytime, at night WLS or KAAY. They both came in clear.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
And WWL, AM, out of New Orleans, at night.
WWL was 87 a.m. if I recall correctly. Depending on the weather, sometimes THE WWL signal would overpower the WLS signal. They had Justin Wilson on WWL at times. I liked the WLS music better but to each his own. Starting to feel kind of old remembering all of this but it was a great part of my life.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
$2.12/sixpack back in HS.....drank many on the floating dock out in front of the Lo Sto at Eagle Lake.

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpeg
    IMG_1701.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
WWL was 87 a.m. if I recall correctly. Depending on the weather, sometimes THE WWL signal would overpower the WLS signal. They had Justin Wilson on WWL at times. I liked the WLS music better but to each his own. Starting to feel kind of old remembering all of this but it was a great part of my life.
Yes, and I frequently listened to LSU games at night, driving home from our game. (and other SEC stuff)
We did not get stadium lights till about 1984 or so.

AleutianIslandawg

Oct 8, 2021
A few things...

Original cheap high school drink was everclear and whatever, probably Gatorade. If you and your friends had a little change in your pocket, you'd go to sonic between 2-4pm and hit up happy hour and get drinks for half price. Order 20 slushies and dump them in a cooler with...you guessed it, everclear.
In college, the best summer of my life, I had classes starting at 0800, done before lunch. Then I'd proceed to sit by the pool at university commons with a case of keystone ice (black box). I'd pass out early and be at class the next morning. Best summer ever. '08 Probably

Reactions: Bulldawg56

kired

Aug 22, 2008

First time passed out drunk. It was a Saturday night, seems like homecoming weekend maybe. Had a huge party at friends house and 20 or so of us ended up sleeping over.

I woke up that Sunday and had to go to church. My dad was a preacher and always left early, my mom (nurse) was working that Sunday. I came home, took a shower and left for church hungover as hell. There was a bank I passed by in the way, and I remember the time / temp sign flashed something like 8:55. I’m like - 17 me, suddenly remembered the time fell back that weekend. I could’ve had a whole nother hour of sleep.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
$1.89 a six in late 70s at K&B Drugs. Only thing cheaper were the Mickey's Big Mouths. Supposedly according to my grand dad no beer is bad some are just better than others but I don't think he ever drank a Mickey's Big Mouth

I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but your grandad is wrong...

27198-40728677.jpg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Not too long ago I was at a buddies shop helping him work on his motorcycle. His wife comes in from the store and announces that she’s found the cutest beer bottles that she wants to put on her new bottle tree and presents us with not one but two six packs of Mickeys. Couldn’t disappoint her, probably should’ve.

Reactions: She Mate Me

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Boone's Farm strawberry wine. We used to drink that back in high school. $2 per bottle, if I remember correctly.

I believe it was in the fall of 1983, we took in a few bottles with our crew into the Capri Theater (was that the name of it?) on Highway 80 to watch the midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Good times . . .