When Six Pack changes your political stance

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
If parochial/private/segregation schools accept public funds, then they need to follow public spending laws and also follow the acceptance policies of public schools.
- Any private school accepting public funds needs to be able to track those public funds, show procurement processes comply with state/federal laws, and open their books to the standard auditing schedule. Those who arent willing to do this or continually fail audits should not be allowed to receive public funds for a certain number of years.
- Any private school accepting public funds needs to follow state and federal laws pertaining to discrimination and acceptance/enrollment of students. If a school wont accept kids with physical or mental disabilities, they dont receive public funds. If a school wont accept kids with IEPs, they dont receive public funds. If a school wont accept kids due to religion, they dont receive public funds. If a school wont accept kids due to gender identity or sexual orientation, they dont receive public funds.

The reality is that student cost is the average and if a large group of socially mobile kids leaves a district, they will overwhelmingly be on the lower side of that cost average. This then leaves a public district fewer dollars to educate kids that cost more.
^ this isnt an opinion, it is a documented reality.
Tax dollars must be traceable, must be audited, and schools accepting public tax dollars from state and federal government must comply with non-discrimination laws.
To do anything different is irresponsible.
It's more expensive and harder to educate the bottom quintile. People choose universities, neighborhoods to live in and places to vacation in to avoid the bottom quintile. People discriminate all the time. Middle and upper-middle class Americans pay a premium for housing to avoid living next to the bottom quintile. I asked my wife to marry me after I discriminated against several other women by not giving them the option to say yes. I'm sure some were o.k. with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Not sure if anyone has been watching St. George become independent of Baton Rouge and its own city, but that's a way to choose schools. Now that Baton Rouge has fewer white bigots and white supremacists that city is going to undergo a Renaissance and flourish and provide equitable services and educational opportunities to those denied these things for too long.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Thats fair. Parent involvement is very much key.

But blaming that on coaches that become principals.. or saying we shouldnt play athetlics or ban schools from having athletic teams is the way to acheive this is down right silly and an AWFUL take.

I mean 5 girls and 8 boys make up the golf team. They have a team GPA of 3.75. ACT scores of 25 plus. But sorry guys you cant play for state or you cant even play at all next season because your school (the other 500-1000 kids) are failing........ Boy thats a way to do things.
It is not an unpopular opinion among educators today that many underqualified coaches end up getting promoted unfairly. It's worth at least discussing.

And punishing sports programs for educational malfeasance is nothing new. I'm not opposed to it if it has teeth. If it's someplace like Rosa Fort in Tunica where the sports teams already suck anyway, that's one thing. But if it's at a place where football is king and you want to get the attention of the school and the parents...

Reactions: dorndawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
There are more than a few parents with kids in private schools who are opposed to school choice. They don't want the poors at their schools.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Sometimes the root cause is parents. Choose your parents wisely.
A lot of times it is. The biggest negative impact they can have is not being actively involved in their child's education.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It is not an unpopular opinion among educators today that many underqualified coaches end up getting promoted unfairly. It's worth at least discussing.

And punishing sports programs for educational malfeasance is nothing new. I'm not opposed to it if it has teeth. If it's someplace like Rosa Fort in Tunica where the sports teams already suck anyway, that's one thing. But if it's at a place where football is king and you want to get the attention of the school and the parents...
For every bad coach/teacher.... i can show a bad teacher that doesnt coach. Same for administration. It may be a popular opinion of some, but it doesnt mean its correct. There are good and bad hires everywhere. Truly unfair to just lump coaches into it.

Punishing sports for a schools short comings isnt new. Punishing sports team for THEIR shortcomings is fine. Football player doesnt make grades, sure, football team doesnt make grades OK fine..... but the entire school is plain stupid.

People that do the right thing shouldnt be punished or at all held back due to people that DONT do the right thing.

to point all that at athletics just because you have a bone to pick with some coach that got hired you dont like its silly. Athletes make up such a small % of most schools. Coaches make up such a small % of school faculities. Coaches usually make up a small % of a school districts administration.... to say lets blame a schools failing on sports and not other obvious things is beyond STUPID. Its actually one of the worst takes Ive seen on this board.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Every fiber of my conservative being supports school choice. Every student in Mississippi deserves a chance at a good education.

But reading that Collierville thread - school choice in MS would not be used to better education, it would be used to win football games. Disgusting. Just like someone said - college football is basically mercenaries at this point, high schools are quickly going that route.
Part of the issue with giving people choice is that sometimes they'll make choices you don't agree with. I'm willing to live with parents who think their kid is the next Michael Jordan/Pat Mahomes if it means that another 10 parents can get their kids a good education and they can go on to become doctors or engineers.

Some of the public schools in this state are absolutely atrocious and if there are parents that actually give a **** about their child's education I'm all for allowing them the option to take advantage of this opportunity.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
For every bad coach/teacher.... i can show a bad teacher that doesnt coach. Same for administration. It may be a popular opinion of some, but it doesnt mean its correct. There are good and bad hires everywhere. Truly unfair to just lump coaches into it.

Punishing sports for a schools short comings isnt new. Punishing sports team for THEIR shortcomings is fine. Football player doesnt make grades, sure, football team doesnt make grades OK fine..... but the entire school is plain stupid.

People that do the right thing shouldnt be punished or at all held back due to people that DONT do the right thing.

to point all that at athletics just because you have a bone to pick with some coach that got hired you dont like its silly. Athletes make up such a small % of most schools. Coaches make up such a small % of school faculities. Coaches usually make up a small % of a school districts administration.... to say lets blame a schools failing on sports and not other obvious things is beyond STUPID. Its actually one of the worst takes Ive seen on this board.
I get where you're coming from. And you must be a coach or close to one because you're really getting defensive about that point. I'm just saying you're painting with a very broad brush. I don't agree with the approach broadly. I do see some value in it situationally. And that's how these things should be evaluated - situationally.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
If parochial/private/segregation schools accept public funds, then they need to follow public spending laws and also follow the acceptance policies of public schools.
- Any private school accepting public funds needs to be able to track those public funds, show procurement processes comply with state/federal laws, and open their books to the standard auditing schedule. Those who arent willing to do this or continually fail audits should not be allowed to receive public funds for a certain number of years.
- Any private school accepting public funds needs to follow state and federal laws pertaining to discrimination and acceptance/enrollment of students. If a school wont accept kids with physical or mental disabilities, they dont receive public funds. If a school wont accept kids with IEPs, they dont receive public funds. If a school wont accept kids due to religion, they dont receive public funds. If a school wont accept kids due to gender identity or sexual orientation, they dont receive public funds.

The reality is that student cost is the average and if a large group of socially mobile kids leaves a district, they will overwhelmingly be on the lower side of that cost average. This then leaves a public district fewer dollars to educate kids that cost more.
^ this isnt an opinion, it is a documented reality.
Tax dollars must be traceable, must be audited, and schools accepting public tax dollars from state and federal government must comply with non-discrimination laws.
To do anything different is irresponsible.
I don't dispute these issues. That is why it would be opt-in for private schools. I'm not advocating for tax dollars to private schools with no strings attached. That is why I think some private schools would opt in, others wouldn't. For example, if a private school can maintain enrollment while charging the same or more than what they would get from the government for each student, they would not be incentivized to opt in.

But short of allowing every school to opt into such a program, we should open enrollment for all schools already receiving tax dollars. For example, every family in Jackson should be able to choose any school in JPS. They should also be able to send their kids to public schools outside of Jackson. And the enrollment that public schools attract should determine their funding.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Part of the issue with giving people choice is that sometimes they'll make choices you don't agree with. I'm willing to live with parents who think their kid is the next Michael Jordan/Pat Mahomes if it means that another 10 parents can get their kids a good education and they can go on to become doctors or engineers.

Some of the public schools in this state are absolutely atrocious and if there are parents that actually give a **** about their child's education I'm all for allowing them the option to take advantage of this opportunity.
Well, when it comes to educational choices, there are states, and then there's OUR state. Our state education system has been effed up since the beginning of time. We've got too much bloat, and we cater too much to local politics at the county level. When I look at a poor-assed backwoods county like Tate County, which has two different public school systems, and a private school because the folks with a little bit of money don't want their kids going to public schools for various reasons, and that county is poorer than dirt to begin with, it's a big problem. And just about every county in the state is in similar shape. DeSoto is fine, Lee is fine, counties on the coast are fine. But most of the counties in this state are just like Tate - and it's messed up.

Reactions: QuadrupleOption

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Not sure exactly what you mean, so I’ll just say what I mean:

Government funding of education would come down to a per student number. Parents can send their kids (and their government funding) to any participating school. Participating schools cannot charge above this amount. In other words, private schools can opt in or not.

For example, Jackson Academy opts in. A family in West Jackson sends their kid to JA. JA gets the per student government funding. No additional charge to the family. OR Jackson Academy doesn’t opt in. They can charge whatever they want and receive zero government funding.

I think some private schools would opt in, some wouldn’t.
I've never seen a school choice proposal do anything like that. Because it's not actually about school choice. It's about getting public dollars for private schools, with no significant change as to which students are going where, or irs about killing the public school model.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Youre serious?

So youre going to punish the athletes for a failing school?
Why not punish the step team, the band, the choir, the drama club-- why the athletes? Is it the athletes and coaches fault that schools fail? You do realize that MOST of a school and student body arent made up of coaches and athletes right?? so lets punish them....

Certainly glad you arent running any part of the education system. You obvious have a very biased stereotype of coaches. One of the best superintendants in the state was a former coach.

This has got to be one of the dumbest takes ever......its like saying.... Hey if the football team fails to make the playoffs 3 years in a row.. guess what... we are going to shut the english department down....
I think you are misinterpreting my argument.

Parents have to give a damn about academics. Ive been in schools in every school district in Mississippi and most of Tennessee. I can just about walk into a school and tell if its students will be successful. I'm as big of a sports fan as anyone, but sports are just a part of the educational process. There are a lot of schools in Mississippi where sports are the only thing that anyone cares about.

I can share a story about a school that had two twins make a 36 on the ACT. They were obviously great students and valedictorian/salutatorian. That school and community celebrated a couple football players going to junior college with a parade. Guess what happened to those two bright students - they left the state and never looked back.

My "ban schools from the playoff" argument isn't realistic. But I guarantee if that option was put on the table, failing schools would shape up very quickly and it would never be used.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think you are misinterpreting my argument.

Parents have to give a damn about academics. Ive been in schools in every school district in Mississippi and most of Tennessee. I can just about walk into a school and tell if its students will be successful. I'm as big of a sports fan as anyone, but sports are just a part of the educational process. There are a lot of schools in Mississippi where sports are the only thing that anyone cares about.

I can share a story about a school that had two twins make a 36 on the ACT. They were obviously great students and valedictorian/salutatorian. That school and community celebrated a couple football players going to junior college with a parade. Guess what happened to those two bright students - they left the state and never looked back.

My "ban schools from the playoff" argument isn't realistic. But I guarantee if that option was put on the table, failing schools would shape up very quickly and it would never be used.
I can guarentee that failing schools usually arent failing because they are focused on athletics. Matter of fact I'd argue none of them are... and taking athletics away isnt going to make them shape up quickly. Its again one of the dumbest things ever posted.

JPS isnt failing because of sports. If they took sports away, those parents arent going to magically start making their kids shape up. Nor are the best teachers in the state going to run there to teach to fix the issues... so you take those sports away nothing changes. The kids that can, move elsewhere where they can play, or become bigger problems in the community because now they dont have practice and games to go to...

Most failing schools-- have strong private schools in the area--- Its hard to make an extraordinary meal, when some of the best ingridents arent in the kitchen anymore.

I can agree, some schools and areas celebrate the wrong type stuff. But that is everywhere. The city of Kansas City throws a parade for the cheifs winning the super bowls, when there are people saving lives down the road that no one knows about. Its the nature of the beast.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I can guarentee that failing schools usually arent failing because they are focused on athletics. Matter of fact I'd argue none of them are... and taking athletics away isnt going to make them shape up quickly. Its again one of the dumbest things ever posted.

JPS isnt failing because of sports. If they took sports away, those parents arent going to magically start making their kids shape up. Nor are the best teachers in the state going to run there to teach to fix the issues... so you take those sports away nothing changes. The kids that can, move elsewhere where they can play, or become bigger problems in the community because now they dont have practice and games to go to...

I can agree, some schools and areas celebrate the wrong type stuff. But that is everywhere. The city of Kansas City throws a parade for the cheifs winning the super bowls, when there are people saving lives down the road that no one knows about. Its the nature of the beast.
The person who agrees with me 80% of the time is not my enemy. We agree on the problem, we agree on the solution, we differ on the way to get there.

One thing COVID showed is how we have a lack of leadership development in this country. Every industry, politician, school was affected in some way. I believe that coaches and high school sports have a responsibility to develop leadership in adolescents, but the last 20 years, we've moved to the model of "win at all costs."

So now we have a lot of weak leaders. Some of it is DEI related, but a lot of it is lack of development of leadership skills. There are many coaches that are great administrators and there are many non-coaches that are bad teachers. On both fronts, schools are having issues.

For example, this week in one of Maryland's largest school districts, a rap video was filmed in a school. The video had near naked girls, crude lyrics, etc. The principal of the school sent an email to all parents denying that she knew this was happening, expressing shock, etc. To which the rapper sent a screenshot of the principal approving it and saying "See you then." This is a lack of leadership on many fronts.

I was a pretty solid baseball player growing up, but I couldn't hit a high school curve ball. When my high school coach saw that, he didn't cut me - he found a place for me to develop skills that would serve me in life. Had me help to put together scouting reports, coaching first base, etc. I learned a love for statistical analysis that allows me to consult education entities around the country and explain the RPI to the Six Pack. If the same situation happens now, parents are yelling, and moving schools and not facing reality.

My youngest is at the age now where its getting tougher to make teams (cheer, dance, sports, etc.) Everyone is changing schools. She's losing access to lifelong friendships because Susie didnt make the dance team. In a few years, its going to be not making the right sorority. We have genuinely ****** up society with this kind of thinking. And we don't have leaders to get us out of it.

Reactions: Double Dawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I've never seen a school choice proposal do anything like that. Because it's not actually about school choice. It's about getting public dollars for private schools, with no significant change as to which students are going where, or irs about killing the public school model.
OK, I can't speak for someone else any more than you can.

Forget private schools. Would you be in favor of giving families the freedom to choose any public school and base school funding on enrollment? For example, would you allow the family in West Jackson to send their kids to Clinton public schools? Or would you force the family in West Jackson to send their kids to a specific JPS school?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Forget private schools. Would you be in favor of giving families the freedom to choose any public school and base school funding on enrollment? For example, would you allow the family in West Jackson to send their kids to Clinton public schools? Or would you force the family in West Jackson to send their kids to a specific JPS school?
In Desoto County everyone wants to send their kids to Lewisburg or Hernando. Those schools are overflowing as it is. I'm a proponent of school choice but it's just not as simple as getting to choose. Someone else said "you choose when you buy the house" and I think that's part of this.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
In Desoto County everyone wants to send their kids to Lewisburg or Hernando. Those schools are overflowing as it is. I'm a proponent of school choice but it's just not as simple as getting to choose. Someone else said "you choose when you buy the house" and I think that's part of this.
That's why I think the best proposal in Mississippi is:

You go to the school you are zoned to.
If that school is an F school or a D school for two consecutive years, you can transfer to an A, B or C public school within 30 miles of your home school, or receive a $7500 voucher toward private school.
A, B, or C schools within 30 miles of a F school (or 2x D school) can put up their own requirements (academic, no more than 5%, etc.) for a transfer.

The whole point of this post was to point out that if we have open, universal school choice, there are going to be a handful of schools that exploit it for sports.

Reactions: Drebin

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The person who agrees with me 80% of the time is not my enemy. We agree on the problem, we agree on the solution, we differ on the way to get there.

One thing COVID showed is how we have a lack of leadership development in this country. Every industry, politician, school was affected in some way. I believe that coaches and high school sports have a responsibility to develop leadership in adolescents, but the last 20 years, we've moved to the model of "win at all costs."

So now we have a lot of weak leaders. Some of it is DEI related, but a lot of it is lack of development of leadership skills. There are many coaches that are great administrators and there are many non-coaches that are bad teachers. On both fronts, schools are having issues.

For example, this week in one of Maryland's largest school districts, a rap video was filmed in a school. The video had near naked girls, crude lyrics, etc. The principal of the school sent an email to all parents denying that she knew this was happening, expressing shock, etc. To which the rapper sent a screenshot of the principal approving it and saying "See you then." This is a lack of leadership on many fronts.

I was a pretty solid baseball player growing up, but I couldn't hit a high school curve ball. When my high school coach saw that, he didn't cut me - he found a place for me to develop skills that would serve me in life. Had me help to put together scouting reports, coaching first base, etc. I learned a love for statistical analysis that allows me to consult education entities around the country and explain the RPI to the Six Pack. If the same situation happens now, parents are yelling, and moving schools and not facing reality.

My youngest is at the age now where its getting tougher to make teams (cheer, dance, sports, etc.) Everyone is changing schools. She's losing access to lifelong friendships because Susie didnt make the dance team. In a few years, its going to be not making the right sorority. We have genuinely ****** up society with this kind of thinking. And we don't have leaders to get us out of it.
Lots to swallow there.

What i will say is the school system is broken. It needs to change. It will have to take 2 steps backward before it can take a good step forward and that will likely never happen, because in the steps backward, a lot of jobs will be lost.

However I will say, that athletics arent the reason why schools are failing. Schools trying to win games arent why schools are failing... and to take sports away isnt going to solve any problem school wise nor is it going to change a parent caring more or less.

Sports in a few of the posts seem to be the scapegoat... your leverage to improve things is to threaten sports... . and that is a very bad take, one of the worst ive seen.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Lots to swallow there.

What i will say is the school system is broken. It needs to change. It will have to take 2 steps backward before it can take a good step forward and that will likely never happen, because in the steps backward, a lot of jobs will be lost.

However I will say, that athletics arent the reason why schools are failing. Schools trying to win games arent why schools are failing... and to take sports away isnt going to solve any problem school wise nor is it going to change a parent caring more or less.

Sports in a few of the posts seem to be the scapegoat... your leverage to improve things is to threaten sports... . and that is a very bad take, one of the worst ive seen.
If a kid goes to a specific school because of the sport, and the school puts more value in the success of the sport over the success of the student in the classroom, then threatening the sport should be on the table.

Like I said: nuance. A blanket strategy is not the solution.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If a kid goes to a specific school because of the sport, and the school puts more value in the success of the sport over the success of the student in the classroom, then threatening the sport should be on the table.

You do realize there are rules in place where students have to make certain grades and reach certain marks to be able to play. That includes being on track to graduate.

If you are a star football player with a future in football. Doing well and being prepared to play football at the next level is probably more important that history class. But you have to do well enough in history class to play football.... as long as thats the case... there isnt an issue.. and thats the case in 99% of the student/athlete dealings.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Lots to swallow there.

This is a sports message board, there are lots of options that should be looked at. Merit-based teacher pay, for example. Let's pay our great teachers more than our bad teachers and see if that incentivizes teachers to be better!

The three failing school districts in MS are

West Bolivar
Yazoo City
East Tallahatchee

Lets consolidate them into a better school district if they can't get their act together.

That's two more ideas that have no chance of passing.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You do realize there are rules in place where students have to make certain grades and reach certain marks to be able to play. That includes being on track to graduate.

If you are a star football player with a future in football. Doing well and being prepared to play football at the next level is probably more important that history class. But you have to do well enough in history class to play football.... as long as thats the case... there isnt an issue.. and thats the case in 99% of the student/athlete dealings.
You realize that schools let by admins that prioritize sports over academics typically don't give a damn about whether students are meeting eligibility requirements to play, right?

When there is a threat that the star football player won't be able to play football, the odds are better that he's going to go to history class and pay attention.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

So just to be sure:

That kid that goes to school and has an A in drama. Participates in all the plays. Does work outside of school on that...

Yet gets D's in other classes.

We should threaten her ability to continue on with her drama/acting/play role because she isnt having the same success in the classroom. And we should not celebrate her successes in said field until she can pull that math grade up?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You realize that schools let by admins that prioritize sports over academics typically don't give a damn about whether students are meeting eligibility requirements to play, right?

When there is a threat that the star football player won't be able to play football, the odds are better that he's going to go to history class and pay attention.
you do realize that there are again rules in place where the schools and admins dont get to turn a blind eye to this correct?

Youre obviously very naive to how elibility for high schools work in this state.

Agreed, there is a lot better chance he will go to class and pay attention. But if he gets the mark needed to be able to play, thats all that matters.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's more expensive and harder to educate the bottom quintile. People choose universities, neighborhoods to live in and places to vacation in to avoid the bottom quintile. People discriminate all the time. Middle and upper-middle class Americans pay a premium for housing to avoid living next to the bottom quintile. I asked my wife to marry me after I discriminated against several other women by not giving them the option to say yes. I'm sure some were o.k. with that.
You reference discrimination in private life and spending private money, and also use the term in an obviously different way that how I used it.
My entire post you quoted was focused only on how public funding(taxes) needs to be spent.

I fully recognize that discrimination, both your usage and my usage, exists in private life and spending decisions.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So just to be sure:

That kid that goes to school and has an A in drama. Participates in all the plays. Does work outside of school on that...

Yet gets D's in other classes.

We should threaten her ability to continue on with her drama/acting/play role because she isnt having the same success in the classroom. And we should not celebrate her successes in said field until she can pull that math grade up?
You need to put that broad brush down that you're painting with. It's worn out at this point.

Your argument is a strawman. If "that kid" is the only kid, that's one thing. If the school is failing because the drama program is prioritized over everything else, taking it away should be on the table.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
you do realize that there are again rules in place where the schools and admins dont get to turn a blind eye to this correct?

Youre obviously very naive to how elibility for high schools work in this state.

Agreed, there is a lot better chance he will go to class and pay attention. But if he gets the mark needed to be able to play, thats all that matters.
Is it your assertion that all these football powerhouses in the state follow eligibility requirements to the letter?

And you call me naive. Damn.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Schools that attract enrollment would receive funding to expand. Schools that get too big would become less attractive. I'm not saying your concern isn't valid. I'm just saying that it's an obstacle that can be addressed.

The fundamental question is the family's right to choose. Once we agree on the right to choose, we can figure everything else out. The issue is that not everyone believes poor families deserve the right to choose.

And you're right that you choose when you buy the house, but that's easier said than done for a lot of families. Families of means can move to a good school district. Some can even send their kids to private schools. So we already have school choice. We just don't have it for everyone.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You need to put that broad brush down that you're painting with. It's worn out at this point.

Your argument is a strawman. If "that kid" is the only kid, that's one thing. If the school is failing because the drama program is prioritized over everything else, taking it away should be on the table.
and again, no school is failing because they are prioritizing athletics. They are failing due to a weatlth of other issues.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Ok bud, when you gonna stop then?

Pseudo: But I don't doubt that opponents of school choice will make bad-faith arguments of why school choice would lead to chaos in sports, and that's why poor families have to keep sending their kids to failing schools
Forget private schools.
ok, but note that no "school choice" proposals do so. Gives the game away, doesnt it?
Would you be in favor of giving families the freedom to choose any public school and base school funding on enrollment? For example, would you allow the family in West Jackson to send their kids to Clinton public schools? Or would you force the family in West Jackson to send their kids to a specific JPS school?
I could be behind that. It's not as easy as just putting a $ amount on each student in enrollment though. That would work in some areas, would be mass chaos in others (Atlanta suburbs for example). Would probably need to put a fee on it, maybe means tested. Keep in mind the folks least able to move to a better school district are mostly the same ones that could not commute their kid to a farther away school.

Plus, it takes planning and time to make a good school. You can't just throw a bunch new kids into the school and get the same result. Atlanta suburbs are a great example. One area will develop a great school, then they get flooded with new kids and can't handle it, drop in rankings, then the new "it school" pops up and the cycle repeats. Families move around chasing the best school every few years. I'm sure they individually would love the idea of "school choice", getting to send their kids to the school they want without moving and paying a premium for it, but if can't work en masse. It's hippie utopian shite, ignoring how the world really works. Just one reason why I say current conservatives are the new hippies.

School choice can practically work only for a handful. It can't fix the system, it only stresses it further. Which is what some want.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Is it your assertion that all these football powerhouses in the state follow eligibility requirements to the letter?

And you call me naive. Damn.
With how cut throat sports are now. You'd be suprised. There are many ways an athlete can be elgible. I can assure you, the football power houses dont have any slipping thru the cracks, let alone and entire program full of them they are weasling around the eligbiltiy requirements.

They would be turned in by the other power houses. Again we are turning in a cross country runner for running out of state. You dont think the star line backer or quarterback is going to get turned in for failing.

again, you obviously know next to nothing about that.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
This is a sports message board, there are lots of options that should be looked at. Merit-based teacher pay, for example. Let's pay our great teachers more than our bad teachers and see if that incentivizes teachers to be better!

The three failing school districts in MS are

West Bolivar
Yazoo City
East Tallahatchee

Lets consolidate them into a better school district if they can't get their act together.

That's two more ideas that have no chance of passing.
Youd need to come up with a good system of merit. I think its a good idea if you can figure out how to make a fair scoreboard. Like most winning coaches get paid more than losing... good teachers can make more than ones that arent quiet as good.

However right now in MS, schools do get bonuses and teachers get that bonus, if the entire school makes a certain mark or improves.

Totally against consolidation. Doesnt work. Seen too many ghost towns where the school/town/community were all tied to a high school and it worked, and someone from the outside shut the school down and the community and kids suffered because of it. Even though it was a C or D school it worked for that area. Forcing them into an A or B school isnt going to make them better students or solve their issues.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Ok bud, when you gonna stop then?

Pseudo: But I don't doubt that opponents of school choice will make bad-faith arguments of why school choice would lead to chaos in sports, and that's why poor families have to keep sending their kids to failing schools
That wasn't in reply to you. If that's not you, I'm not talking about you, am I? You replied to me (twice) saying school choice isn't about choice, it's about tax dollars going to private schools. I explained my position, and you still wanted to argue a straw man. I'm just saying take that up with someone who holds that position.
ok, but note that no "school choice" proposals do so. Gives the game away, doesnt it?
Again, I don't speak for proposals that aren't mine. Consider this a new proposal: School choice, excluding private schools. It expands choice for all families, including poor families, and doesn't provide any tax dollars to private schools.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
That wasn't in reply to you. If that's not you, I'm not talking about you, am I? You replied to me (twice) saying school choice isn't about choice, it's about tax dollars going to private schools. I explained my position, and you still wanted to argue a straw man. I'm just saying take that up with someone who holds that position.

Again, I don't speak for proposals that aren't mine. Consider this a new proposal: School choice, excluding private schools. It expands choice for all families, including poor families, and doesn't provide any tax dollars to private schools.
I'm not arguing a strawman, I'm arguing the actual bills proposed and passed into law under the banner of what you say you support. If you don't support the bills proposed and passed under "school choice"...then you don't support it the same as I don't, for the same reasons. That's kinda important to establish!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
With how cut throat sports are now. You'd be suprised. There are many ways an athlete can be elgible. I can assure you, the football power houses dont have any slipping thru the cracks, let alone and entire program full of them they are weasling around the eligbiltiy requirements.

They would be turned in by the other power houses. Again we are turning in a cross country runner for running out of state. You dont think the star line backer or quarterback is going to get turned in for failing.

again, you obviously know next to nothing about that.
No, I wouldn't be surprised. I know how it works.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
No, I wouldn't be surprised. I know how it works.
obviously you dont no clue how it works. f you think there are schools skirting elgibility rules and admin turning blind eyes to it.. and the while no one in the state is reporting it.

BTW: the list of things that you have to do to be eligible to play high school sports in Mississippi, isnt a long one. Its basically 2 components. Thats all... in other words its very easy to be eligible, therefore there is little need to go rouge and cheat the rules.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
obviously you dont, if you think there are schools skirting elgibility rules and admin turning blind eyes to it.. and the while no one in the state is reporting it.

BTW: the list of things that you have to do to be eligible to play high school sports in Mississippi, isnt a long one. Its 2 major components. Thats it..... so its hard to cheat that.
And you can find at least three kids (and I'm being kind here) on any one of probably over half of the state's football programs who do not qualify or has cheated to qualify but has managed to continue playing anyway.

You deal in conceptual theory and I'm dealing in fact. That's the key difference here.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
And you can find at least three kids (and I'm being kind here) on any one of probably over half of the state's football programs who do not qualify or has cheated to qualify but has managed to continue playing anyway.

You deal in conceptual theory and I'm dealing in fact. That's the key difference here.
if you deal in facts. Then please show us these cases?

Its things like this that are truly ignorant. People THINK they know things but in reality know nothing. Its assumed football coaches cheat, its assumed good programs cheat, but reality is, its not the case.... sure some slip thru the cracks, but most follow policy.

And besides again, the rule to be eligible is so easy, there is going to be little to no reason to cheat the rule. The circumstance rarely even comes up.

Its clear you know utterly nothing about this.

Last edited: