“Palmer Museum unveils online access to its extensive collection”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

”UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — When the new Palmer Museum of Art opened to the public on June 1, it opened another “museum” online, accessible to any art lover anywhere in the world: its collection of nearly 11,000 art objects. The Palmer’s expansive collection is now freely explorable via a new database on its website so that everybody — including staff, students, volunteers, the public, or those who cannot come to the museum in person — can search or research nearly every work of art in its holdings.

“Anyone can access the Palmer’s extensive collection from the ease of their smart phone or favorite device from anywhere in the world,” said Erin M. Coe, director of the Palmer Museum of Art. “By making the collection fully available online, we have dramatically advanced our strategic goal for greater accessibility, allowing us to reach beyond our walls to a broad, diverse, and now global audience.”“

Why spend $85 MM for brick and mortar when you can just go online? For f*ck’s sake. Then again, online doesn’t bring millions of art enthusiasts to the area every year to spur the local economy. 🤔

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

”UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — When the new Palmer Museum of Art opened to the public on June 1, it opened another “museum” online, accessible to any art lover anywhere in the world: its collection of nearly 11,000 art objects. The Palmer’s expansive collection is now freely explorable via a new database on its website so that everybody — including staff, students, volunteers, the public, or those who cannot come to the museum in person — can search or research nearly every work of art in its holdings.

“Anyone can access the Palmer’s extensive collection from the ease of their smart phone or favorite device from anywhere in the world,” said Erin M. Coe, director of the Palmer Museum of Art. “By making the collection fully available online, we have dramatically advanced our strategic goal for greater accessibility, allowing us to reach beyond our walls to a broad, diverse, and now global audience.”“

Why spend $85 MM for brick and mortar when you can just go online? For f*ck’s sake. Then again, online doesn’t bring millions of art enthusiasts to the area every year to spur the local economy. 🤔
At the time it was being built, they hadn't factored in that Fats and Molly would be relocating so soon, so it's an understandable mistake. :oops:

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021

It always amazes me how you are unable to understand the “Big Picture”. Once online viewership has been established, this dramatic increase in interest will spur the need for a necessary $60 million (at the minimum) expansion of the brick and mortar facility. Remember the motto of our University “You must spend money to be able to spend more money”.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
It always amazes me how you are unable to understand the “Big Picture”. Once online viewership has been established, this dramatic increase in interest will spur the need for a necessary $60 million (at the minimum) expansion of the brick and mortar facility. Remember the motto of our University “You must spend money to be able to spend more money”.

I’m such an a$$hole. 😞

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021

Can't download bean dip online. Have to actually go to an event where it flows like water from the tap.

Nov 3, 2021
Remember the motto of our University “You must spend money to be able to spend more money”.
Ackshully... the full motto as found scribbled on an office notepad in Barron's office after a wine and cheese party during COVID was "You must NOT SPEND MONEY ON MAINTENANCE, AND INSTEAD DEFER IT TILL IT REACHES > $100 MILLION SO THAT you must spend money to be able to spend more money."

Reactions: Bison13 and Tom_PSU

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Wasn't there some expectation that the museum would have millions of visitors? If so, I think this could make it happen. (Do bots count?)

Reactions: Bison13

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
Forgetting for a moment the cost involved I walked up to the arboretum gardens two weeks ago for the first time since construction concluded. I've said it before and will say it again that these gardens are the crown jewel of Penn State and the museums exterior architecture adds to it. If you haven't been to the gardens I highly recommend it. I bash PSU often, but not when it comes to the arboretum. It's a special place.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Forgetting for a moment the cost involved I walked up to the arboretum gardens two weeks ago for the first time since construction concluded. I've said it before and will say it again that these gardens are the crown jewel of Penn State and the museums exterior architecture adds to it. If you haven't been to the gardens I highly recommend it. I bash PSU often, but not when it comes to the arboretum. It's a special place.
unremitting negativity is what we do here- get with the program

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, it's not as if PSU had anything better to do with the $85mm.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Swimming hole?
I approve of this message.

I Approve of This Message.

Latest posts